PDA

View Full Version : Dear Husqvarna

Lady's Human
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Running adverts telling people to get their father a new lawnmower for Father's day is like Whirlpool telling everyone to get their mother a new washing machine for Mother's Day.

Got it?

Thanks.

Cataholic
06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Really? The majority of people I know split the chores up like that. Men do the lawn, women do the laundry. Doesn't mean ALL men do the lawn and ALL women do the laundry, but it seems kind of 'normal'.

Please, feel free to get me a lawnmower AND a washing machine for Mother's Day. I could use them both. :)

Lady's Human
06-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Not the point. I wouldn't give anyone a work-related appliance for a gift. I certainly wouldn't give my wife a vacuum cleaner for her birthday. (besides, it's a crapshoot who'd wind up using it anyway)

Cataholic
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Seriously? That is what makes us all so interesting. Not only in these times of economic belt-tightening, but ANY time in my life- give me something super practical, that I can use all the time. I guess my family is odd. We like practical gifts. Save the silk scarves and flowers for when I am too old to need anything else.

pomtzu
06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Running adverts telling people to get their father a new lawnmower for Father's day is like Whirlpool telling everyone to get their mother a new washing machine for Mother's Day.

Got it?

Thanks.

Would you rather have a nice pair of diamond earrings??? :D

Freedom
06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
My Dad was ALWAYS thrilled to receive a new toy from Home Depot! ;):p

Lady's Human
06-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Pom, no thanks, Diamond earrings just aren't my style.

As to Home Depot/Lowes, etc.....giving me a tool I need/want to do home repairs and remodeling or car repairs(drill press....router.....scroll saw) is one thing.

But a lawnmower?

Yeay?

pomtzu
06-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Pom, no thanks, Diamond earrings just aren't my style.

As to Home Depot/Lowes, etc.....giving me a tool I need/want to do home repairs and remodeling or car repairs(drill press....router.....scroll saw) is one thing.

But a lawnmower?

Yeay?

AWWW - I'll bet you'd look stunning in diamonds. :D

So the lawnmower is just a bigger toy than a drill or a saw. A nice new big mower would make your life so much easier.

As for me - I'm with Jo - I like the practical gift. At my age I have all the clothes, jewelry, accessories that I need - not to mention all of the dust collecting knickknacks! And it doesn't take much to please me either. Today the faucet on the kitchen sink finally got replaced, and a broken hinge on one of the cabinet doors under the sink got replaced too. I'm tickled pink!!!! - like someone gave me a super-duper fabulous gift. :D...............Of course, diamonds are nice too. :p

Lady's Human
06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I guess it's a matter of personality, but I've become severely tired of advertising campaigns in general. I despise "Memorial Day car Sales"(see the holiday protocol thread) , every holiday has just become another excuse to sell more stuff.

However, if I need a tool? Unless it's a ridiculously big ticket item (like the drill press I keep visiting at Harbor Freight) I just go out and buy it when I need it. And yes, I'll be the first person to admit I'm a PITA to buy presents for just for that reason. I'm banned from Barnes and Noble for a month before Christmas and my birthday.

Presents? Get me an album by a group I like, make me dinner, things like that are more my speed.

The constant press of advertising has just gotten out of hand.

pomtzu
06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
However, if I need a tool? Unless it's a ridiculously big ticket item (like the drill press I keep visiting at Harbor Freight) I just go out and buy it when I need it. And yes, I'll be the first person to admit I'm a PITA to buy presents for just for that reason. I'm banned from Barnes and Noble for a month before Christmas and my birthday.

You and my son must have come from the same mold - this is him to a T. He's impossible to buy for, since when he wants something, he just goes out and buys it. He too is banned from buying anything for at least a month before Christmas. His birthday is a week from Saturday and what have I gotten him??? - not a thing yet and I am clueless. Maybe the new shop vac that he needs - if he doesn't beat me to it. His wife and kids are wracking their brains too, since Father's Day is the day after his birthday! :(

Edwina's Secretary
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
What is happening??? I am again in agreement with LH! :p;)

I buy my own underwear - I like gifts that I would not buy for myself. And that is the type of gift I like to give. I do not give gift cards. I do not exchange gifts that others give me. I think when someone gives me a gift they are giving me a bit of themselves. And I appreciate the gift for what is represents as well as for what it is.

And before certain someone(s) flame me - that is just how I feel and I am not criticizing anyone else...:rolleyes::D

pomtzu
06-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey ES - whatever floats your boat............:D

Seriously tho - I used to like to get those gifts of something that I wouldn't buy for myself too - like those diamond earrings maybe, or some other nice piece of jewelry, etc. But when you get OLD like I am, and retired, then most of that jewelry is seldom worn, and all the nice shoes and handbags are replaced with sandals or athletic shoes and a hobo bag, the nice suits and slacks and skirts are replaced with jeans or sweats, or tank tops and capris.

So give me a new washer or dryer or vac - they never go out of style or loose their usefulness - no matter how old the recipient gets. :)

phesina
06-09-2012, 02:21 PM
A store in this area is advertising big for Father's Day -- "Get Dad what he really wants!"

This is from Cabela's, which is a big outlet for guns and ammo!.. (among lots of other rugged outdoorsy goods).

On their web site Shooting page, http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/_/N-1100187?WTz_l=SBC, there is an ad: "Cabela's Father's Day SALE -- Shop great savings in SHOOTING GEAR"

mrspunkysmom
06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Really? The majority of people I know split the chores up like that. Men do the lawn, women do the laundry. Doesn't mean ALL men do the lawn and ALL women do the laundry, but it seems kind of 'normal'.

Please, feel free to get me a lawnmower AND a washing machine for Mother's Day. I could use them both. :)

Love it. I always liked practical gifts. Most people get offended with money. I'd rather have the money. Or help me with a project. That's what I like to do.

Impractical gifts are fun between people with a special relationship and the item will get used.

Practical gift. For my second Christmas on my own mom got me a vacuum cleaner. Expensive one, $100 in 1989. Still have it. The Blue Wonder is what I call it. Replaced the plastic wands with metal ones. Has more suction than the newer models.

Yes, I like practical gifts.

Edwina's Secretary
06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I hope I never reach the point in life when I do not appreciate - in fact cherish - the thoughtful but wildly impractical gift - whether it is a book, a cd, a box of candy, a scarf, a bottle of really cool nail polish - or yes...a piece of jewelry....:D;):D I can live without all those things - which may not be practical...but I sure do love receiving the sentiment with which they are given.

p.s. what is Husqvarna?

Lady's Human
06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Husqvarna is a brand of outdoor power equipment. They're good, but as a present?

I'll take a dvd or a cd over a new string trimmer. :p

Cataholic
06-12-2012, 07:48 PM
They also make sewing machines. I got one as a gift, and I love it. Very much. Very practical, too.

Cataholic
06-12-2012, 07:54 PM
ES- who is to say that the person gifting one with a practical gift hasnt put the same level of thought into it as the person who gifts non-practically? Isnt the end result the same, to "please" the recipient?? If someone knows me, they know I "cherish", if you will, practicality above all else.

One of my most favorite gifts? A really nice standing mixer- from my mother! I love that thing, use it all the time. For me? It was a great gift, one I truly cherish. And one I could not/would not have afforded then.

Its all in the eye of the beholder.

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2012, 10:50 PM
ES- who is to say that the person gifting one with a practical gift hasnt put the same level of thought into it as the person who gifts non-practically? Isnt the end result the same, to "please" the recipient?? If someone knows me, they know I "cherish", if you will, practicality above all else.

One of my most favorite gifts? A really nice standing mixer- from my mother! I love that thing, use it all the time. For me? It was a great gift, one I truly cherish. And one I could not/would not have afforded then.

Its all in the eye of the beholder.

Gosh C - to me a really nice standing mixer would fall into the "impractical" category. Not something I would buy for myself but certainly something I would love to have (if I could figure out where to store it!) and something that I don't HAVE to have.