PDA

View Full Version : H-Day! Or Heart Day! Good News Wooo-Hoooo!

mrspunkysmom
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
I'll let you know. That heart procedure was in the nick of time. I feel so much better than I did 2 weeks back. I get some setbacks, but I'm still better. I actually carried 4 8-paks of soda at the same time from the car today. I couldn't do that 2 weeks back.

Wooo-hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Glad you are feeling so much better and stronger! :)

Catty1
06-04-2012, 10:50 PM
YAAAAAYYYY! But you do know to NOT overdo it, right? ;):D

Felicia's Mom
06-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Glad you're feeling better Anne!

phesina
06-05-2012, 12:51 PM
WONDERFUL news, Anne!

mrspunkysmom
06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
YAAAAAYYYY! But you do know to NOT overdo it, right?

Yup I do now. :eek:

Carrying 4 packs of sodas is a one time event. Today was a long day. :eek: Big difference.

An appt at the rheumatologist. His nurse took like 5 or 6 vials of blood. Five or Six! He said there was definitely something going on and prescribed the same medicine a family doctor had prescribed in the mid 90s and I was on for about 12 years, but double the dose. I do need to have the eyes examined every 6 months at this dosage. It's plaquenil or hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, which does suppress the immune system some. Even as a generic it's still very expensive. I felt much better on it years back.

Visit to the former cardiologist to get my INR level checked. It was normal because I was only taking half of it. Warfarin is scary because the levels are so variable and are affected by what you eat. Managed to get an excuse note from them. This was a matter of honor. I also told them what I thought. He did great surgery but is so into the numbers he didn't look at me and consider how tired I was. He also doesn't communicate well. :mad:

Called the new cardiologist's office to set the appt up. Something must have happened. The secretary from the Internist's office forgot to send the referral yesterday although the computer entry indicated that it happened. hmmmph. Got the appt anyway. Will see if paperwork is there tomorrow. It's okay if mistakes are made or if something slips by, but own up to it.

Visit to the district office to do my COBRA paperwork. And the district will pay the first two months of the Cobra amount. Apparently it was an oversight and although past deadline since I was out the last two weeks, they let me do the paperwork. :D

Quick visit to the gym. Nine minutes on treadmill at 1.7 mph and a few arm exercises. :D

Friend came over to take garbage to curb and do some simple cleaning of litter boxes. I was/am too beat. <sigh>

Now I am tired and chest is a little tight. Getting ready to rest on the couch. Just waiting to take my heart meds for the evening. :love:

But I am breathing so much easier. :love: I have a pulmonary function test next week that I might delay since I now know the reason behind the breathing difficulty. This was scheduled by the same Internist that is acting as my advocate.

So all in all, it was a fantastic day! :D :love: :D

robinh
06-06-2012, 05:19 AM
So glad to hear you had a good day. So many of them lately have been awful.

moosmom
06-06-2012, 08:50 AM
SO glad you're feeling better, girl!! Take care of yourself!!;)

Pinot's Mom
06-06-2012, 08:52 AM
So glad you're feeling better! Keep up the good reports! :)

Karen
06-06-2012, 10:09 PM
I told K9Karen your news, and she's very happy for you as well! :)

mrspunkysmom
06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
So glad you're feeling better! Keep up the good reports! :)

Thank you all for your positive thoughts. I am feeling better and the EP study and whatever else was done including medicine has helped. I know I was tired and sluggish.

I do have a stent next week. Not what I was expecting.

I am having some trouble breathing, but I think it is some panic attack and stress. I tend to hold my breath sometimes and I've never been able to correct that idiosyncrasy. I've fot a little bit of chest pain, but that might also be stress and nerves over the new doctor, insurance issues, dealing with a doctor that won't communicate, yada yada, etc.

Anyway, I know going in for the second heart cath is the right move, since the original issues that were glossed over should have been explored.

Rest of Original Post deleted

mrspunkysmom
06-08-2012, 10:03 PM
So glad to hear you had a good day. So many of them lately have been awful.

yeah, Wednesday was awful, too. Been crying on and off since Wednesday. have to keep my brain occupied or I'm in my own head too much. Have to stay positive.

pomtzu
06-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Good luck Anne - we'll be praying that all goes well. I can't believe that the original doc fell down on his job. It must not give you a very warm and fuzzy feeling at all.

My brother (the old bird is 78 :p), had a stent put in about 5 or so years ago thru a special and experimental program at the Cleveland Clinic in Miami. His carotid artery was blocked by 80% and very high up, which made it a very dangerous and risky procedure. He came thru with flying colors and is still chugging along. He now lives in NC and goes back to FL once each year for a good going over. He was just back last month and drove back home with a clean bill of health in that department. He'll probably outlive me! :eek:

mrspunkysmom
06-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Good luck Anne - we'll be praying that all goes well. I can't believe that the original doc fell down on his job. It must not give you a very warm and fuzzy feeling at all.

My brother (the old bird is 78 :p), had a stent put in about 5 or so years ago thru a special and experimental program at the Cleveland Clinic in Miami. His carotid artery was blocked by 80% and very high up, which made it a very dangerous and risky procedure. He came thru with flying colors and is still chugging along. He now lives in NC and goes back to FL once each year for a good going over. He was just back last month and drove back home with a clean bill of health in that department. He'll probably outlive me! :eek:

Thank you for replying.

A very warm feeling, but definitely not fuzzy. It will take me a while to move beyond my emotions over this series of events. I'm not stressing over it, but I will feel bothered for a while.

I'm glad to hear your brother is still going strong.It gives me hope.

Catty1
06-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Installing stents in a heart artery is a fairly common procedure, and the outcomes I have heard of are all positive. This includes a good friend of mine who has about 20% heart function after several heart attacks over about 7 years - and she is only 47! And she is "chugging along" just fine! She jokingly calls the stents "chicken wire" - I guess the stuff looks like it!

I think you may enjoy even more of an upswing in health after this.

Sending good thoughts and prayers!

mrspunkysmom
06-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Installing stents in a heart artery is a fairly common procedure, and the outcomes I have heard of are all positive. This includes a good friend of mine who has about 20% heart function after several heart attacks over about 7 years - and she is only 47! And she is "chugging along" just fine! She jokingly calls the stents "chicken wire" - I guess the stuff looks like it!

Thank you so much for the positive thoughts.

I think what depresses me is that the first doctors thoroughly screwed this up and missed or ignored important signs. Lost test results, didn't listen to my concerns. Didn't believe what I told them.

I do believe there is something electrical wrong with my heart. I had a full cup of chamomile tea last night and was only slightly sleepy today. In fact, taking an afternoon nap is usual these days. Before the surgery/procedure, Chamomile would knock me out and make me drowsy the whole next day. When I first took the non-drowsy version of Zyrtec, Zyxal, I slept for almost two days. I would get up for a bit but slept most of Saturday and a good bit of Sunday, continuing to take the Zyxal morning and evening until I adjusted. Took Benadryl recently with little drowsiness. I always thought there was something wrong and told my doctors and I will continue this line until they listen. I think they can learn something from this.

Let's hope for positive outcomes from this next study and that I can continue to feel better and resume my life.

Thanks again for the positive thoughts Candace.

mrspunkysmom
06-09-2012, 11:58 PM

Having several heart attacks over 7 years? And 20% heart function? Wow! That would really scare me. I looked up stent. It is a mesh that supports the artery. The artery grows around it.

Let's hope I can do better. I really need to exercise to lose weight.

cassiesmom
06-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Fingers crossed that you'll feel much better soon! ((HUGS))

Catty1
06-10-2012, 09:50 AM
mrspunkysmom - the point I was making is that if my friend's heart with all that loss of function can go through a stent install with no problem, then you should be just fine!:)

mrspunkysmom
06-10-2012, 11:37 AM
mrspunkysmom - the point I was making is that if my friend's heart with all that loss of function can go through a stent install with no problem, then you should be just fine!:)

Yeah I figure I will. I'm fairly sure that if not corrected, problems will be remedied so that I can improve my life. The human body has many redundancies and can be amazingly resilient. I do appreciate the support. :love:

Right now I'm more confused, miffed, upset, angry, depressed, disgusted, etc over the whole sorted affair. :mad: :confused:

It will take me a while to move on. I also feel like I didn't get to relate the whole story to the new cardiologist, although he did listen to most of the currently relevant parts. I think he is taking things one step at a time which is not a bad philosophy.

I think I am more frustrated right now, too

Thank you all for your support and well wishes. I will endeavor to cheer myself up some and learn to trust again.

Karen
06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Keep a folder of all your notes, and maybe after all this is over and you're feeling better, you could write an article or book that would help others from going through the same thing!

phesina
06-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Many prayers and good wishes for you that this all works out well.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

mrspunkysmom
06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Keep a folder of all your notes, and maybe after all this is over and you're feeling better, you could write an article or book that would help others from going through the same thing!

That's a good idea. I want to start a patient advocate group. I think patients for all critical diseases need advocates.

I'm tempted to make a formal complaint to what ever advisory board for medical personnel when I have more information and this is all over.

mrspunkysmom
06-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Many prayers and good wishes for you that this all works out well.

Thanks, phesina :love:

Karen
06-10-2012, 08:48 PM
That's a good idea. I want to start a patient advocate group. I think patients for all critical diseases need advocates.

I'm tempted to make a formal complaint to what ever advisory board for medical personnel when I have more information and this is all over.

You certainly should, there's probably not only one for whatever health plan you have, but certainly someone at the state level as well.

mrspunkysmom
06-10-2012, 09:10 PM
You certainly should, there's probably not only one for whatever health plan you have, but certainly someone at the state level as well.

Patient Advocates or to complain about unprofessional care.

Karen
06-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I meant agencies or organizations that one can complain to about medical care, like the Better Business Bureau for businesses ... The American Medical Association, etc.

mrspunkysmom
06-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I meant agencies or organizations that one can complain to about medical care, like the Better Business Bureau for businesses ... The American Medical Association, etc.

Thought so. :D Brain is tired. :D

mrspunkysmom
06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
This is it. H-Day! :love: For my heart! :love: 13 is my favorite number!

The Heart :love: Cath is tmorrow, Wednesday, the 13th. I get there at 11am and the procedure starts about 2 PM. Don't know how long it will take. Nor do I know at this point if I have to stay. If any stents are put in, then I will be overnight. Not sure what time I would leave the following morning. Like last time, my friend will post to facebook when she hears.

I'll post here when I get home and if I feel up to it. :D

Wish me luck. :love: :D :love:

robinh
06-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Will keep you in my thgoughts and prayers tomorrow I am in meetings all week and unable to check computer during the day, but will check in first thing when I get home.

Karen
06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Good luck, we'll all be pulling for you!

mrspunkysmom
06-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Thank you both. :love:

My little brother called to talk to me a few hours ago. Sweet. He's 9 years younger but he's still my little brother. :D

caseysmom
06-13-2012, 01:03 AM
You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

smokey the elder
06-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Good luck! You know your own body best. If one doctor isn't listening, really listening to your issues, IMO you need to fire him or her and get another one.

phesina
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Prayers and good wishes for you, Anne, and may all go well.

mrspunkysmom
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm back! Can't use right arm until artery heals. Hurts like hell.

Guess What! Original diagnosis was bad. Still A-fib but NO scarring, no Fat in the heart, NO appreciable accumulation of cholesterol or blockage, no enlargement. Heart is in good condition. ♥

Yippee - ai -yo- ky - yay!!!!!! :D

Karen
06-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Heart is in good condition. ♥

Yippee - ai -yo- ky - yay!!!!!! :D

Yay! Relax, good to hear, and we look forward to you feeling better and better as the days go by!

phesina
06-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Wonderful news!!!

pomtzu
06-14-2012, 06:46 AM
That's great news. So you didn't have a stent put in afterall???

Boy - your former doctors not only dropped the ball, but it seems that they weren't even on the correct playing field. Pretty darn scarey IMO.

mrspunkysmom
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Thank you ladies. I gathered that tests can be wrong.

I'll write more later.

mrspunkysmom
06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Good Morning (slept till 11) Just hanging out today. Chaperone/friend went to work but afterward will be back to go to dinner.

Just hanging out today. Could drive automatic but to protect wrist artery I will wait a day or two more, Sunday or Monday.

One of new docs put no lon term restrictions on me, but asked me to be careful and follow the instructions so I won't reopen artery. That actually includes any repetitive motions like using a mouse and eating with my right hand or even some typing. :eek

So today I watch some TV and maybe do a little cleaning like picking up after myself. <grin>

How are y'all doing today?

Karen
06-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Stay careful! Do you have a wrist rest so you could use the computer while keeping your wrist relatively immobile?

mrspunkysmom
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
That's great news. So you didn't have a stent put in afterall???

Boy - your former doctors not only dropped the ball, but it seems that they weren't even on the correct playing field. Pretty darn scarey IMO.

Thanks Pom (Edit: No, no stent was put in. Nothing serious or remarkable on blockages. heart is in good condition)

I agree in part. The Atrial fibrillation :eek: is probably a correct diagnosis, but the original docs explanation of why is off. The supposed scar tissue was causing the heart to beat fast uncontrollably. :eek: The heart wasn't really racing but fluttering. And the new doc said a heart that periodically races isn't necessarily an issue. But fluttering and not beating is an issue and probably why I get so tired. The doc that did the recent procedure talked about A-Fib like it was a definite conclusion, so I still have to wear the heart monitor. "The more data the better."

The new docs explanation is that the scar tissue and blockage should have been addressed first. And probably sooner because those results were ignored. A whole lot of faulty data.

Going through the EP study was good. I'm wondering if he did the ablation. I go back the 27th to followup, learn more about what has been done, and determine future actions, hopefully to find a remedy for the heart palpitations. :D

Thank heavens I have a great Internist. :love:

mrspunkysmom
06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Stay careful! Do you have a wrist rest so you could use the computer while keeping your wrist relatively immobile?

Thank you, I will. :D

I do but it's not big enough. Hands and arms must be more elevated than the wrist rest would make them. Training as a concert pianist has taught me how to type and avoid wrist strain. If you hurt, you are doing it wrong, whether typing or playing piano. That plain and simple. We should sit higher than we do to use a computer. Right now most of the strain is in my left shoulder. :eek:

Still I am trying not to type too much to avoid any repetitive actions. The hand does tire and swell a little. Putting a catheter through the wrist is painful. I take lots of breaks.

It's the repetitive motions using the mouse that is my downfall. :eek: So no mouse for several days.

Karen
06-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Thank you, I will. :D

I do but it's not big enough. Hands and arms must be more elevated than the wrist rest would make them. Training as a concert pianist has taught me how to type and avoid wrist strain. If you hurt, you are doing it wrong, whether typing or playing piano. That plain and simple. We should sit higher than we do to use a computer. Right now most of the strain is in my left shoulder. :eek:

Still I am trying not to type too much to avoid any repetitive actions. The hand does tire and swell a little. Putting a catheter through the wrist is painful. I take lots of breaks.

It's the repetitive motions using the mouse that is my downfall. :eek: So no mouse for several days.

Oh, so you need a taller chair? Or a lower desk? Have you tried - just for chuckles - mousing with your other hand? Might be good practice ...

mrspunkysmom
06-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh, so you need a taller chair? Or a lower desk? Have you tried - just for chuckles - mousing with your other hand? Might be good practice ...

Like the secretaries of old. The typing desk was lower than the writing desk. I need to get the computer chair back in this room. Thought I was allergic earlier in the year.

Yeah Mousing with the left hand. :D That was so annoying and hilarious. I think I will practice just for the experience and train my self. The hand isn't the issue; it's the training of the brain.

Right now, I am using the mouse touch pad on the laptop. Fewer mistakes and frustrations. :D

I think you created a new verb: mousing. :D I like it. :D