PDA

View Full Version : Passed out two nights ago! :-O

Kirsten
06-03-2012, 06:18 AM
This was scary, and I'm still kinda shocked. It was the night before last night, I was having one of these intestinal cramps that I often have; I went to the bathroom and there, the pain became just overwhelming. I could feel the world around me fading, and I remember that I was thinking I should better hurry to get back to my bed... but I didn't make it.

The next thing I remember is that I woke up, thinking that my bed was strangely hard... and when I opened my eyes, I was lying on the floor, on the threshold to my bedroom. Must have been unconscious for maybe 15 minutes or so. Crawled back to bed and realized I had a really bad headache, and it dawned to me that I must have fallen onto my head. Later I found blood on the floor; and saw my ear was bloody. One of my earrings must have been torn out when I fell, I found it broken in the floor. My jaw hurts, and my ear as well, and so do my knees and my left shoulder... And headaches, of course... Couldn't do much yesterday, felt really lethargic and tired, so I think I have a mild concussion. I have bruises everywhere, but at least nothing's broken, so I guess I was still lucky. But it's been a frightening experience, so surreal.

Lily, btw, was so confused, she was so scared and acted really strange.

pomtzu
06-03-2012, 06:46 AM
The first thing I'm going to tell you, is that you need to see a doctor and get to the bottom of this. People just don't pass out for no reason at all. It could be something serious, or something rather simple. But you don't know that, altho I'm sure you are guessing at it. I can think of a dozen reasons why this happened, but no sense in speculating. If it happens again you might not be so lucky! And since you live alone, you could lay there for a long time before being found.
Please - get yourself checked out thoroughly, even if you don't want to. You have those 2 beautiful girls to think about, and they need you. Don't just brush this off - PLEASE!!!!!

Lady's Human
06-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Please - get yourself checked out thoroughly, even if you don't want to. You have those 2 beautiful girls to think about, and they need you. Don't just brush this off - PLEASE!!!!!

Pom, you beat me to it.

Off to the whitecoats with you!

In addition, we'd miss your photography.

mrspunkysmom
06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Kirsten,

Like Lady's Human and Pomtzu, I am going to tell you to get yourself checked out. This week. That faint happened for a reason. Hopefully the intestinal issue can be resolved through diet like mine was. (That wasn't why I fainted.) If I hadn't fainted that day in February, I would not have seen a cardiologist. Bruising that easy is also a concern.

Go to the doctor! Go to the doctor! Insist on a colonoscopy and immune tests for Gluten intolerance and other related issues.

Go to the doctor!

I, too, would like to see more of your pictures, but mainly I would like for you to regain your health and remain a vital part of this group.

RICHARD
06-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Scary?

That is an understatement.

It's one of the most helpless feelings on the planet and on top of making you hurt, you feel really vulnerable and scared.

It happened to me once and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I was paranoid for a while afterwards.

Please take care of yourself and I hope it DOES NOT HAPPEN again.

Randi
06-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear this - how scary. :( Do go to the doctor and get checked!

You have been slimming down a lot over the past few years, could that have something to do with it? Try and eat healthy and get your strength back.

Best wishes that it's nothing serious.

(((hugs)))

Karen
06-03-2012, 08:12 AM
How scary! I echo what the others have already said - get to a doctor as soon as possible, and explain to them they need to find out what happened or all of Pet Talk will descend on them!

phesina
06-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Chiming in:

KIRSTEN, SEE THE DOCTOR!!!!!

You need to find out what happened and what is going on. And your two girls need you. And so do we!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Freedom
06-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Whew, frightening! Glad you are able to get back online. Means you feel a bit better.

Now get in to the doctor, you need a check over! Hugs to you, Kirsten.

Taz_Zoee
06-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I agree with everyone else. And I hope you feel better soon!!

momcat
06-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Dear Kirsten,
Please understand that those of us here who care about you are upset and concerned. You MUST get to a doctor ASAP and find out why this happened. Also since you live alone, ask your doctor about getting a "Medic Alert" if it's available in Germany. With a Medic Alert system all you do is press a button that sends an alert and help will be on the way. My son will be going to the Dominican Republic soon and I'll be getting one.

Your PT friends are here for you! Now pick up the phone and call your doctor!!!

Miss Z
06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Sounds like you fell down with such force. :( I had a phase of blacking out as a teenager (although thankfully never quite that bad), so I can somewhat relate to how scary that must have been for you. And yes, I'm with everyone else on this one, a doctor is needed to get to the bottom of this. Wishing you well, and hoping you don't have to go through that again!

Kirsten
06-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Thank you everyone for your concern! I'm feeling much better meanwhile, just been washing out litter boxes and doing laundry... I will call my doctor this week and tell her what happened, but since this happened at a weekend, I couldn't call her so far. The only thing I could have done is going to the hospital, but I didn't want that as they would have kept me there, and I don't have anyone for my girls.

As scary as it was, I think the reason why I fainted is not so dramatic (at least I hope so) - it was just the pain, it was really overwhelming and made my system crash. I remember there was a similar situation in the 90s, but at that time, I still lived in my small apartment, and I made it back to my bed, and once I laid down, I started feeling better. As for my colon, I already got a lot of diagnosis, and I know it's not working in some parts. Guess there isn't much you can do about it... :(

Right now, the reason why I passed out doesn't worry me as much as the fear that there may be some brain injuries from the fall. I'm feeling better, but I was told there could be nasty things such as intracranial hemorrhage which you don't neccessarily need to notice, at least not in the beginning... Scary stuff, and I bet when I'm telling my doctor about it, another MRI will be in order... :(

But right now, I'm fine, so please don't worry...

Richard, I can see very well why this can make you paranoid! :rolleyes:

Scooter's Mom
06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I wonder if it could have been vasovagal syncope? I have had this happen many times throughout my life. Usually as a response to severe pain. My body sort of "shuts off" until the pain has passed.
It is really pretty frightening when it's happening. I do hope you don't experience anything like this again. Feel better, Kirsten!

PS: Please do contact your doctor about the episode.

gini
06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Kirsten, I will add my own thoughts which only echo what everyone has already advised you to do.
Go to the Doctor.

We will be hounding you to find out what the doctor tells you - so you can't wiggle out of going.........it is just too serious.

You have my prayers that this will not happen again. We all think the world of you and want only the best so you can continue the photography that we all love too.:love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
06-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry that this happened but I also agree with the others in that you need to go have yourself checked by a doctor to make sure that there's nothing serious going on with you. Hopefully this won't ever happen again. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

SWHouston
06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Kristen,

I know this sounds silly and a lot of trouble, but...

You know they make those real light weight Bicycle Helmets. And until you clear up this issue about falling/fainting, would you consider wearing one of those when you can. A bump on the butt you probably can get over easily, but continuing strikes to your head....Ummm.

This forum is replete with people who care for you, and want to know you're as safe as you can be. How about it ? ;)

Kirsten
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Only a little update as I'm dealing with back pain tonight and want to go to bed... Called my doctor and I will see her tomorrow. Will keep you updated! :-)

Karen
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Okay, feel better, and we will all look forward to what the doctor says tomorrow!

Kirsten
06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Back from the doctor. According to her, it's been a vasovagal syncope what I had, so Scooter's Mom was absolutely right about that. It's relatively rare, and obviously no one really knows the cause, so there isn't much you can do about it. Anyway, hope it won't happen again! :eek:

My doctor said I was really lucky that the fall didn't cause more injuries. As for a possible brain damage, I would have noticed the effects of it within the first 48 hours (a friend who's working as a nurse said the same), so I guess I'm okay. I'm feeling better today, much better than yesterday, so I hope the worst is over...

Karen
06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
So is there nothing that can be done, other than encasing you in bubble wrap just in case? Or at least getting you a helmet to wear around the house?

SWHouston
06-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm glad that at least there is a diagnosis, and maybe with some time and thought, you might be able to come up with some reason that triggered it.

However, hope it won't happen, isn't safe !
Won't you please consider "some" head protection. If a Helmet is to obtrusive, maybe one of those Head Bands would work. Some of those are kinda thick, and would give you some protection and not look so bad...

Please, don't just trust this to luck.

I would at least discuss Aspirin Therapy, or possibly a BP reducing medication with your Physician.

Kirsten
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your concern, but I know what "triggered" it, it has something to do with my messed up bowels :o (which is also, most likely, a vasovagal thing...), and I'm pretty sure it won't happen unless I go to the bathroom again while I have these really bad and painful cramps. My doctor said, even though it's rare, she has another patient with exactly the same symptoms. The next time I feel it coming I will lay down on the floor and not try to make it back to the bed. But I won't start wearing helmets or any other protections, that would make me feel even sicker than I actually am. I need to feel "normal", at least as much as possible with all the other restrictions due to various health problems. Please don't worry!

SWHouston
06-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I understand, at least you have a plan ;)

Karen
06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
The next time I feel it coming I will lay down on the floor and not try to make it back to the bed.

Okay, at least you know the triggers and can be prepared! I guess we'll hold off on the bubble wrap brigade for now!

Catty1
06-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Okay so Wikipedia is not the Mayo Clinic, but here is some info I found:

Causes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response#Cause

Treatment (interesting - as lying down is not recommended here! Ask your doctor)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response#Treatment

cassiesmom
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Kirsten,

...mainly I would like for you to regain your health and remain a vital part of this group.

Me too, me too, me too!

Could you have been dehydrated? I know you mentioned some very hot weather recently.

((((HUGS)))))

mrspunkysmom
06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for your concern, but I know what "triggered" it, it has something to do with my messed up bowels :o (which is also, most likely, a vasovagal thing...), and I'm pretty sure it won't happen unless I go to the bathroom again while I have these really bad and painful cramps. My doctor said, even though it's rare, she has another patient with exactly the same symptoms. The next time I feel it coming I will lay down on the floor and not try to make it back to the bed. But I won't start wearing helmets or any other protections, that would make me feel even sicker than I actually am. I need to feel "normal", at least as much as possible with all the other restrictions due to various health problems. Please don't worry!

Have you asked your doctor what effect diet has on your condition? Some foods are harder to digest than others.

Bengalz
06-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Kirsten,

It is good to hear you are feeling better, have seen a doctor and have some idea about the cause of your episode. In the event that this sort of thing happens again is there any type of Medic Alert system available to you? My concern is you living alone ... in the event of an emergency, you should have a backup plan:love:.

Feel better!

Scooter's Mom
06-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Kirsten, it's kind of weird, but sometimes I can tell when I am about to have one of the "episodes". Sometimes I can manage to breathe my way out of it, just by focusing very very hard on my breaths. After the doctor witnessed me passing out, there was no doubt that is what was happening, so he taught me how to sort of watch for signs that it was going to happen - although it's not always possible to tell. Sometimes it just happens so fast there isn't any warning. Other times, I have just enough warning ahead of time to start focusing on my breathing... and a few times I have had just enough time to tell the person I was with to catch me! LOL

I haven't had one of these in a couple of years (3!) but do understand how frightening they can be when you have no idea what is going on. ((hugs)) to you! Glad you have Lily & Luna to help take care of you and make you feel better, mentally at least!

Kirsten
06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice and support, and for your concern.

I'm a bit dizzy and weak today, wonder if these are still the effects of the concussion.

@cassiesmom: No, I don't think I was dehydrated, and I wasn't hungry either. It was a vasovagal reaction to pain.

@mrspunkysmom: I don't think it was a digestion thing... I'm already on a diet as there are many things I cannot eat (dairy products, grains, most fruits, ect.).

@Bengalz: well, yes, I think there is such a Medic Alert system, but I don't think that passing out one time will qualify me for that.

@Scooter's Mom: Wow, you seem to have these episodes a lot... that is scary! Do you know what triggers them?

pomtzu
06-06-2012, 04:27 PM

@Bengalz: well, yes, I think there is such a Medic Alert system, but I don't think that passing out one time will qualify me for that.

Here in the States, a Medic Alert system is not something you have to qualify for. Anyone can have it - if you want to pay for it, then you get it. And it's not just for old people (like me :eek:), or ones with medical conditions either. A lot of young and healthy people that live alone have them for security reasons. I got mine AFTER I had a BIG scare - I fell on ice in my driveway and fractured my femur. Thankfully it was still daylight and some men driving past the house heard me hollering for help and saw me laying there and unable to get up - they stopped and carried me into the house and called an ambulance for me. If it had been night time and the rest of the family was late in getting home, then I hate to think what could have happened with me laying there in the freezing rain for who knows how long. So after surgery and a week in the hospital, then 2 weeks in rehab and several months of physical therapy after that, I decided I needed an alert system - just in case. I've never had to use it, but it's there if I need it, and with my balance compromised from a previous issue, then falling is a great risk for me.

You really should check out a system for yourself - it would give you peace of mind - even if you never have to use it. And it would give all of us PT'ers peace of mind too! :D

Asiel
06-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Second try here-- I was posting a reply when something knocked me off line.

Kirsten, just read your post a few minutes ago. What you are describing is so similar to what I went through a few yrs back. I was lucky to never demolish myself on the floor if I passed out, I did get hurt some but not like you. I also had people around most of the time. I remember the pain you describe, I remember laying in bed praying to pass out to get some relief...if I was lucky the pain would subside when I would wake up but often it was still going on...
The helmet-- won't lie to you, it sucks big time but it beats knocking your brains out and suffering bouts of brain injuries. I had to wear one for 15 mos 23 yrs ago , until the doctors could clear up an issue I had. They aren't like football helmets, more like boxers bands. Soft and padded but still a pain until you decide to forget it. I remember the first time I had to answer the door, almost didn't but then made up my mind that I didn't care.... and guess what, most of the time I got no reaction, more people than we imagine have to wear them. Friends and relatives didn't bat an eyelash because they were relieved to see me with protection. You just pretend it's a riding helmet...yes, I still rode but never without a helmet.
Please take everyone's advice and follow through on this, and please protect your head, you won't be sorry. And the medic alerts as mentioned are for anyone here also. The hospitals don't charge very much and they are well worth it. If you don't check in every night and every morning when you wake they call you...if they get no response they send help. Please do take care of yourself, I'm also a huge fan of your photography.

Scooter's Mom
06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
When I had them more frequently, I was told it was sort of my body's reaction to pain. My doctor (the one who saw me pass out) had actually just done a very minor out-patient procedure on me and I was really not feeling well, and I told him, "I think I am going to pass out!" And then I was OUT. The times I've had the episodes, it's really been when I was in extreme amounts of pain, usually in combination with something else - like pain plus being sick or pain plus being very tired. Rarely is it just pain.

As I said, it's been about 3 years since I had this happen. It was much more common when I was younger. Maybe I grew out of it some, or maybe I learned how to prevent it some with the focused breathing.

I'm always around on FB if you want to chat more. :)

mrspunkysmom
06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice and support, and for your concern. . . . . . .

@mrspunkysmom: I don't think it was a digestion thing... I'm already on a diet as there are many things I cannot eat (dairy products, grains, most fruits, ect.).

I can't imagine not being able to eat fruit. Grains are also in noodles. Starches are made from grains (and a few other things) and can also bother the gut.

If your doctor sees your wounds, she might differ with you. It doesn't hurt to check it out.

Kirsten
06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
You really should check out a system for yourself - it would give you peace of mind - even if you never have to use it. And it would give all of us PT'ers peace of mind too!

Please take everyone's advice and follow through on this, and please protect your head, you won't be sorry. And the medic alerts as mentioned are for anyone here also. The hospitals don't charge very much and they are well worth it. If you don't check in every night and every morning when you wake they call you...if they get no response they send help. Please do take care of yourself, I'm also a huge fan of your photography.

I know you're all worried, but please... don't! :) I know the trigger now, so I know in which situations I need to be careful, and I think the rest of the time is safe. Also, I'm not all alone in the house. I'm alone in my apartment, that's true, but the family that lives downstairs will notice when something's wrong. At least I hope so!

When I had them more frequently, I was told it was sort of my body's reaction to pain. My doctor (the one who saw me pass out) had actually just done a very minor out-patient procedure on me and I was really not feeling well, and I told him, "I think I am going to pass out!" And then I was OUT. The times I've had the episodes, it's really been when I was in extreme amounts of pain, usually in combination with something else - like pain plus being sick or pain plus being very tired. Rarely is it just pain.

Yes, I think extreme pain can very well trigger such episodes. In my case, it was the combination of that pain and going to the bathroom. Like I said, I had a similar episode in the 90s. And I also experienced something similar when I was injected something at the endocrinologist for a test (can't remember what it was, but I was told that some people react to it that way; at any rate, it was a vasovagal reaction as well).

I can't imagine not being able to eat fruit. Grains are also in noodles. Starches are made from grains (and a few other things) and can also bother the gut.

I can eat fruit in small portions, but I need to be careful and not eat it every day. Same goes for most vegetables, especially raw vegetables. As for grains, it's only the whole grains I cannot eat due to diverticulitis; noodles, bread etc. are okay. But it's true, there are many things that I like that I can no longer eat, or at least not eat too often...

phesina
06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Many prayers for you, Kirsten. Be well, and take care. Do your downstairs neighbors know when they should check in on you?

Love from us :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats