PDA

View Full Version : What next???

pomtzu
05-31-2012, 07:57 AM
The mayor of New York City is trying to get legislation passed that would ban the sale of super-sized (over 16oz) sugary drinks in restaurants and vending machines within the city. This is his part on the war against obesity. IMO this is one of the stupidest things I've heard in quite some time. If it does come to be (tho highly doubtful), then what's to stop someone from just getting 2 of the 16oz drinks?? :rolleyes: How much more nonsense are these governments going to try to slap us with? Let's just live in a dictatorship and be done with it! :mad: Sure - ban smoking in public buildings, limit the number of alcoholic drinks you can be served at a bar - but Coke or Pepsi??? Come on now Mr Mayor - get real!:rolleyes:

Is there anyone out there that agrees with this proposal?

mrspunkysmom
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
I understand where he is coming from, but you can't legislate good habits any more that you can do so for morality.

This will take a concentrated effort and re-focus of our whole society, including the medical branch. Education is the key. Changing our philosophy will produce results, not laws.

Our need for everything instant has fueled this expansion of the boxed food companies.

Okay. Off the soap box.

redbird
05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
I totally agree with you and I think Blumberg is getting senile. There is no way you can stop people from paying and getting what they want. He is taking things a bit far.

Miss Z
05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
If it does come to be (tho highly doubtful), then what's to stop someone from just getting 2 of the 16oz drinks?? :rolleyes: How much more nonsense are these governments going to try to slap us with?

Perhaps the logic is that most people will only go for the supersized option purely because it's on offer, and that's a large factor in the increased obesity in the population? Just speculating, of course, but I know that I'm always tempted to get a larger size coffee, even when the regular would be just fine. Also, the price of two half-size drinks would be more expensive than one super-sized, so perhaps price would put people off too.

There certainly are better ways to tackle obesity than this, but I can't say I'd be too hurt if such a law were to be imposed over here if it proved successful.

cassiesmom
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I can't imagine how this would pass. I'm picturing the 7-11 Big Gulp here. I'm guilty of buying a larger than 16-ounce diet Coke. It comes in a 20-ounce bottle and the little mini mart in the building where I work sells them. I drink half of it mid-morning and the other half with l unch. I think Mayor Bloomberg is wide of the mark on this one.

Freedom
05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I think it is a move in the right direction~!

As a medical doc said on TV this morning, "most folks are too lazy to be able to carry two smaller ones." She also commented that sodas have absolutely NO nutritional benefit at all.

Personally, I think a tax should be added on any and all foods that are high in fat and carbs.

We stopped drinking soda at all in this house almost 10 years ago, now. There is just no reason to be taking in that sort of poison.

pomtzu
05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I know what his intentions are, but I really don't think it has a chance of a snowball in h&ll of ever being put into law. You can talk and educate till you're blue in the face, and people will consume the amount of food and drink that they want to. I drink Pepsi, but not that much - I buy an 8-pack of 12oz bottles once each month, and that lasts me the whole month, and no one else in the household drinks that much anymore either. We all drink the Crystal Light mixes in place of the sodas.

And if that NYC law on super size drinks passes, then can the burgers and fries be far behind??? Sorry folks - no more large orders of fries or double cheeseburgers - small and singles only!!! Afterall - those are much worse for you than that big drink anyway.

So where (and how), could they possibly draw the line. The way I see it, there is NO WAY!

Catty1
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I know I would buy just one "large" drink, and if it is smaller by law, it makes no difference to me. To my brain, a "large" is a "large". I would never buy two small ones - for me, that is not how an impulse purchase works!:)

catnapper
05-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Oh for the love of Grace! If someone wants something, they'll get it. Hubby is working hard on weening himself off sugary soft drinks. Some days he has none, some days he has two cans. Its much better than him drinking a 32 oz bottle every day. He'd still get his cola despite restaurants not serving large sizes. :rolleyes:

Its like that stupid law to make getting the cold medicine they need to make meth harder.... it only aggravates the honest people by making us stand in line at the Pharmacy counter. The guys making meth still get their cold medicine easy-peezie. I just never have the Advil Cold and Sinus that works wonders on my sinus pain becuase its too much of a hassle to get to the pharmacy when the pharmacist is actually there, then stand in line, then swipe my ID, sign my life away for COLD MEDICINE. I'll just deal with the actual headache instead of going through the headache of getting the medicine.

happylabs
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
I understand his concern, but he is going about it the wrong way. How about educating people on how bad soft drinks are for us. I think they are addicting. I went off drinking soda about a month ago. I always feel better/healthier when I am not drinking it but it does taste good!

There are so many issues with food these days. High fructose corn syrup is in everything! And the commercials try to tell us it isn't that bad for us.

I could go off on a big tangent here about the FDA and what they say is good for us, but I won't.

carole
05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
you can just go too far and become a nanny state, that is what they call NZ sometimes, i am all for healthy eating, etc etc, but when do you stop taking people's choices away from them, i actually think a tax on all junk food is a better idea and i support that much more.

We have just as much a problem here down under with obesity as anywhere else, if not more...

Lady's Human
06-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Calling Dr. Cocteau, and have a happy happy joy joy day.

beeniesmom
06-01-2012, 05:24 AM
It does seem a bit strange but it will probably work.

I don't see people buying 2 drinks if they can't get a bigger size.

Take the Supersize Fry which mc donalds did away with. I used to get them all the time because I love the fries.
Now I just get the regular when I do go, which isn't often. I won't buy 2 of them so there might be a point in what he's doing.

moosmom
06-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I highly doubt taking away the availability of super-sized drinks is going to put much of a dent in society's obesity problem. While his intentions may be good, it goes WAAAAY beyond just drinking soda.

I think this guy needs to concentrate on more important stuff. And for the record, I don't drink soda. I drink ice water.

happylabs
06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
I highly doubt taking away the availability of super-sized drinks is going to put much of a dent in society's obesity problem. While his intentions may be good, it goes WAAAAY beyond just drinking soda.

I think this guy needs to concentrate on more important stuff. And for the record, I don't drink soda. I drink ice water.

I agree. Like I said before, it isn't the way to go about it. This guy sounds a little nutty.

I have been drinking flavored seltzer water. It has no calories, caffeine, or any type of sugar. I find I like the fizz in my drink so that is what I drink when I need to be fizzy. :D

catnapper
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say that I was a size 3X and have not had a sip of cola in 20 years. My weight had NOTHING to do with cola, unless those sneaky calories took twenty years to accumulate.

Alysser
06-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I will be the first to admit I have a soda drinking problem. I complain about how fat I feel I am, and I work out a lot, so really, it shouldn't be an issue. I feel that most of my fat is water weight and bloat from the amount soda I drink (2 cans a day at least). But anyway, so what if he bans the size of drinks? Most places have a free re-fill station (besides sit down restaurants) anyway. You can fill up your cup as much as you want anyway.

The reason we have such a huge obesity problem, IMO, is not even ignorance. We've been HAMMERED with the fact that places like McDonald's is awful for you. You make your own choices as what to eat or drink. You make the choice to exercise or not. Only have a 30 minute lunch break and the nearest restaurant is Burger King or McDonalds? Pack a healthy lunch from home, you also save money. Believe it or not, Mickey D's has some healthier choices than fries. It really is all about the choices YOU make. People constantly like to blame the obesity problem on restaurants and food companies, but in reality, WHO chose to eat the food? Remember when to obese girls sued McDonalds for making them that way? Ridiculous.

As for New York City, between the gun laws and this...well yeah, they are a nanny city. New York as a whole is a nanny state.

Karen
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
New York as a whole is a nanny state.

Careful kiddo - most of New York State is far different from New York City - and Mayor Bloomberg has no jurisdiction there!

Lady's Human
06-01-2012, 05:31 PM
As for New York City, between the gun laws and this...well yeah, they are a nanny city. New York as a whole is a nanny state.

entschuldigen sie bitte?

pomtzu
06-02-2012, 05:54 AM
entschuldigen sie bitte?

Since English is my only foreign language, perhaps you could elaborate???

Pinot's Mom
06-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Is the Mayor crazy? Yeah.
Does he have a good intention? Possibly.
Will it pass? No.
Would it make any difference if it did? No.

But, more importantly, WILL IT GET HIM IN THE NEWS? ABSOLUTELY!!:D

Catty1
06-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Translation: "Please excuse her?" (Google) or "Excuse me?" (Babelfish)

Pinot's Mom - yes, it IS all about publicity. Oscar Wilde: "It's better to be talked about than not talked about.";)

momcat
06-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm tired of people like idiot Bloomberg trying to save me from myself!

Lady's Human
06-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Is the Mayor crazy? Yeah.
Does he have a good intention? Possibly.
Will it pass? No.
Would it make any difference if it did? No.

WIll it pass? Yes, because it only has to be approved by a board made up of Bloomberg's political appointees.

As to New York being a nanny state? Come out to upstate, live here for a few years, and say that with a straight face.

New York City is NOT New York state, just like New Jersey isn't all Jersey Shore denizens and chemical plants.

As to obesity claims, according to their charts I'm obese. I should weigh about 170 lbs. I did, once, when I had the build of a distance runner. Those days are long gone, I weigh about 205, have for years, I drink soda, eat bacon, drink beer, wine, and other "bad" things, carbs, you name it....

By their charts, I'm obese. However, I challenge anyone to say that to my face and mean it.

Jessika
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
The "obesity" problem isn't the fault of fast food restaurants or the size of sugary drinks being sold. It is the individual person's responsibility for what they put into their bodies. I think the government should have no dictation on what I CHOOSE to consume, whether it is healthy for me, or not - it is MY CHOICE to do so.

pomtzu
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM

You probably hit the nail on the head with this statement. I saw him on the news last night, and he said very smugly and with a stupid smirk on his face, that it got him a LOT of publicity! Perhaps this was his ultimate goal??? :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
06-04-2012, 01:10 PM
*puts on NASCAR rated fire-suit:D*

When states started putting bigger and bigger taxes on cigarettes, and banned smoking in a lot of places, it did discourage people from starting to smoke, and got some to quit. A lot of people say "if it doesn't affect me why should I bother with it? Well, IMO it does affect you and me, in higher insurance premiums. This is the price for living in a society. Has Hizzoner gone a bit far with soda? Maybe...one could argue, what's next. I think a "junk food" tax may be a possible solution, but then who defines "junk food"? I think a lot of health problems could be solved if the US would collectively go on a diet, the billion lb challenge, maybe?

Lady's Human
06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
STE, the "Distributed costs to society" argument is getting old. How long until the government decides that they have to regulate who reproduces based on the probable cost to society?

How much of our behavior are we as a society willing to have government regulate for "the greater good"? Seatbelts, sugar, alcohol, .....where does it end?

My kids drink soda. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm a bad parent. However, they are also very active, and there isn't an xbox anywhere to be found in the house. Every once in a blue moon they get to use the playstation 2 upstairs. THey're both skinny as rails, yet they eat candy, cookies, drink soda, koolaid, chocolate milk, and other nasty things.

I somehow don't think the food is the issue.

Varga
06-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't necessarily agree with his idea but I have to say this, you Americans do realise just how huge the portions they serve here are, right? I still get surprised, even after having lived here for two years.
What is considered a large soda here, is unheard of back in Europe. Even in the same chains - such as Burger King and McDonald's - you order a large soda and it's going to be the size of of U.S. medium soda. I don't know why it's like that though. I don't think anyone at any point banned larger sodas. The need for them just never popped up I guess? :confused: I dunno.

I gotta say I like the huge portions at restaurants though. And how it's just totally normal and acceptable to get a box to bring home the leftovers! :D That whole idea is just unheard of back home. At most, some people might ask for a doggy bag to bring scraps for their dog but even that is considered pretty odd.

Roxyluvsme13
06-05-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't think he's considered that people will just go back for more refills if the drinks are smaller...

And has anybody considered that some people's obesity problem is genetic or due to a medical issue? Because a lot of people are overweight because of those reasons, not because they eat badly...

Education and information is what we need though, not taking away large drinks.

mon
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I agree that people generally feel they shuold simply be able to choose whatever they want to ingest, healthy or no. Unfortunately there are many bad choices as well as good ones. It's pretty clear to me that some people will sell a person pretty much anything now a day to make a buck or two regardless if it makes the customer drop dead :p Large portions are kinda rampant in the U.S. though I think..

smokey the elder
06-05-2012, 10:00 AM
So the distributed cost of society argument is old...it doesn't make it any less valid. BUT...some other mechanism of changing behavior may be suitable. My unscientific observation is that the presence of calorie counts on the food displays at fast food places at least makes people think about what they're eating, if only for a nanosecond.

Has there been regulatory creep? Absolutely! Has it been needed? That can be argued pro and con, and is a debate for another time.

Lady's Human
06-05-2012, 10:42 AM
The basis of the United States has always been freedom, and banning and restrictions of anything, be it drugs or any other consumer product, just creates black markets and contempt for the law.

Make all the PSAs you want, but banning a super slurpy is just ridiculous. It would be one hell of an incentive for restaurants to move out of NYC proper and into the suburbs, though.

Miss Z
06-07-2012, 06:07 AM
I don't necessarily agree with his idea but I have to say this, you Americans do realise just how huge the portions they serve here are, right? I still get surprised, even after having lived here for two years.
What is considered a large soda here, is unheard of back in Europe. Even in the same chains - such as Burger King and McDonald's - you order a large soda and it's going to be the size of of U.S. medium soda. I don't know why it's like that though. I don't think anyone at any point banned larger sodas. The need for them just never popped up I guess? :confused: I dunno.

I do have to agree with this statement... you certainly get value for money!

Since the drink 'refill' has been mentioned several times on this thread, perhaps it would be more beneficial (i.e. in terms of lowering incidence of obesity) to scrap that. I honestly don't know anywhere over here that does drink refills for free. When I was nine and holidaying in FL, of course I loved the fact I could run down to the hotel restaurant every morning and get a monster sugar rush before I'd even eaten breakfast . :p As an adult? It's a peculiarity. If I'd grown up with the idea and become accustommed to it, would I really feel like my 'liberty' was infringed upon? As a Brit, not a chance. As an American, I guess I can't say. One thing would be for sure - I'd probably be far less healthy than I am now (and I wouldn't count myself as the image of physical fitness as it stands!) Sometimes, one can be blinkered by an affinity for one's comforts. I respect the American passion for freedoms of all kinds, and can see how well ingrained it is in all American people that I have ever met. That is a wonderful thing; by no means is my opinion meant to cause offence. My stance is that I, personally, find that conservatism stretching to preserve drinks under the 'freedom-to-have-what-we-want' clause a little excessive.

We are more of a nanny state than you guys, no doubt. Sometimes that is indeed a bad thing. We are also an overweight nation.

What do most British obese people blame their weight on? Fatty and sugary foods being cheap, and accessible. They know the dangers of carrying so much weight, and many admit they don't even enjoy the food anymore - they just eat out of habit. And a habit, so they say, is impossible to break when it's staring you in the face most of the time.

Maybe some people need a little nannyin'?!

Again, NOT to flame. I have no sympathy for morbidly obese people hooked up to oxygen machines and unable to reach to put on their own shoes. On no basis is that condition genetic; terrible addiction, yes, genes, no. Addictions can, and should, be addressed before getting to that state. In this country, their care is financed out of the wallet of the taxpayer. We are bitter when we see millions spent on what we deem could have been avoided.

I believe the Delphic phrase is 'Nothing in excess', not that I know the Greek off the top of my head...

Perhaps I am beating around the bush. Our government recently tried to impose a tax on pasties and various other baked goods, depending on their temperature. :p Banning of supersized drinks seems such a more straightforward idea. ;)

moosmom
06-07-2012, 06:50 AM
I think it all boils down to personal choices. People have the ability to choose what and how much they eat or drink. Moderation is the key. JMO.

Catmom,

I've been trying to save you from yourself since I met you. I've finally come to realize that you just don't mess with perfection!!!;););)

Jessika
06-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I think it all boils down to personal choices. People have the ability to choose what and how much they eat or drink. Moderation is the key. JMO.
Personal choices and personal responsibility. It's not anyone else's fault but my own for eating fast food or going back for free refills. Placing the blame on the government or food industry is outrageous. On the same hand, the government shouldn't be responsible for putting restrictions or bans on my personal choices. Even if it's my "best interest", that is my decision to make. Too many people lack responsibility, though, and want to place blame elsewhere. That behavior disgusts me. If we, as a country, started making ourselves accountable for our own actions... We'd all be better off. I personally don't need the government or anyone else to tell me drinking sugary drinks is bad for me, but I guess some people do.

K9soul
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Personally, I think a tax should be added on any and all foods that are high in fat and carbs.

Aside from the softdrink issue, I have to disagree with this sentiment. "Fatty" foods have been vilified way too much and more and more evidence is coming out that some whole fatty foods have a lot of nutritional value. In my opinion, you could never base a "punishment" type tax on foods based on fat or carbohydrate levels alone. Rice is a high carbohydrate food. Many of the Japanese eat rice as a staple (along with fatty fish) and yet they have one of the lowest obesity rates as a country.

The demons as I see it are too much processed foods, unneeded sugar, and portion sizes.

I personally think raising awareness is the best step that can be taken to help people make better lifestyle choices. I think there is something like 10 teaspoons of sugar in a can of cola. I wonder if many people even realize how much sugar they are taking in and how deadly that can be to a person's health.

I do think huge portion sizes at restaurants can make people feel they may as well clean their plate, etc. and can end up producing cravings for larger portions, but I don't know if legislating such a thing would make a dent or not.

mrspunkysmom
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Aside from the softdrink issue, I have to disagree with this sentiment. "Fatty" foods have been vilified way too much and more and more evidence is coming out that some whole fatty foods have a lot of nutritional value. In my opinion, you could never base a "punishment" type tax on foods based on fat or carbohydrate levels alone. Rice is a high carbohydrate food. Many of the Japanese eat rice as a staple (along with fatty fish) and yet they have one of the lowest obesity rates as a country.

The demons as I see it are too much processed foods, unneeded sugar, and portion sizes.

I personally think raising awareness is the best step that can be taken to help people make better lifestyle choices. I think there is something like 10 teaspoons of sugar in a can of cola. I wonder if many people even realize how much sugar they are taking in and how deadly that can be to a person's health.

I do think huge portion sizes at restaurants can make people feel they may as well clean their plate, etc. and can end up producing cravings for larger portions, but I don't know if legislating such a thing would make a dent or not.

I agree with the portion sizes. Since being on a gluten free diet, I've also been reducing portion sizes. Gluten free has made that easier. I feel better. I've not really lost a lot of weight but have lost fat. I seem to be trimming some.

I still think education is the key to solving our obesity problem. We need to change our philosophy towards food as a country. That will take some time.

sallyandsnowx
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
This reminds me of when certain cities banned/tried to ban happy meals from fast food industries to help the problem with childhood obesity.

Yes, I think the mayor has good intentions, but he is going about it the wrong way. Banning these large portion drinks is taking away New York City citizens the freedom to choose. And isn't that what America is about? Freedom?

Lady's Human
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Again, NOT to flame. I have no sympathy for morbidly obese people hooked up to oxygen machines and unable to reach to put on their own shoes. On no basis is that condition genetic; terrible addiction, yes, genes, no. Addictions can, and should, be addressed before getting to that state. In this country, their care is financed out of the wallet of the taxpayer. We are bitter when we see millions spent on what we deem could have been avoided.

Meet a couple of them sometime. It's easy to judge someone at a glance on the street.

Some of them do have issues, genetic or otherwise, that LEAD to the obesity, and not a problem with addiction.

K9soul
06-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Even people without a medical condition or "excuse" to be morbidly obese deserve compassion and to not be scorned and judged. Often they are suffering from depression, anxiety, and other extreme stressors that make them feel beaten down and make them give up or reach for the only comforts that they can. On that note, people suffering from addictions usually aren't somehow lesser or weaker or more lazy people, but people with mental disorders, poor support networks, or situations of extreme prolonged grief and stress that get them caught up in a cycle they can't seem to escape.

Lady's Human
06-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Just as an aside, carping about American dietary habits is nothing new. Baron von Steuben complained mightily about the diet and preferences of the Colonial soldiers.

momcat
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Ellie, it looks like Bloomberg stirred up a potential hornets nest with this nonsense about limiting soda and other "high sugar" drinks. On this morning's news it was announced that Mayor Nutter of Philadelphia will be trying to implement the same ban. With all of the serious problems facing our cities, why is THIS any kind of priority?

pomtzu
06-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Ellie, it looks like Bloomberg stirred up a potential hornets nest with this nonsense about limiting soda and other "high sugar" drinks. On this morning's news it was announced that Mayor Nutter of Philadelphia will be trying to implement the same ban. With all of the serious problems facing our cities, why is THIS any kind of priority?

I missed that one, Eileen. He needs to worry about the murders in his city everyday, and not worry about the super-sized drinks. I doubt that Christie will be jumping on this bandwagon tho. Wouldn't that be like the pot calling the kettle black??? :eek::rolleyes::p:D

momcat
06-11-2012, 07:48 AM
I missed that one, Eileen. He needs to worry about the murders in his city everyday, and not worry about the super-sized drinks. I doubt that Christie will be jumping on this bandwagon tho. Wouldn't that be like the pot calling the kettle black??? :eek::rolleyes::p:D

Christie isn't referred to as "Lord of the Ring Dings" for nothing!