PDA

View Full Version : Baking your own bread

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-30-2012, 03:02 PM
I am wondering if anybody here also bakes his/her own bread??
Last mothers day, I got a breadbaking machine from my hubby!!
This is it: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/broodbakmachine.jpg

It is so easy to bake a bread!! I just add the ingredients, choose a program (white bread, dark, other...), close the lid, and push on the "Start" button.
A few hours later, the bread is ready!! The machine is doing all the work for me!!

This was my very first bread:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/brood1.jpg

the next one was much higher
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/brood2.jpg

and the next one was super high!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/P1120453.jpg

one slice of white bread
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/sneetje.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
05-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Lovely! How do you slice just a nice thin piece of bread?

Karen
05-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Looks yummy! I grew up baking bread, in a regular oven, though. My mother loved her bread machine when she got one, though!

carole
05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
looks yummy, i have often toyed with the idea of getting a bread maker, nothing like freshly baked bread, however our local baker called bakers delight makes the most fresh delicious bread with no preservatives etc, at a cost i can afford ,so i have given up on the idea, but it does look very inviting.

I think you can buy a plastic slicer type thing, which you can put your bread on and slice it to the thickness you want.

I have a feeling if i baked my bread , a loaf would not even last a day .:D

Lady's Human
05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd rather bake bread the old way, but I completely understand the love of bread machines.

I just haven't found one that turns out regular loaves that I like. Besides, the kids like the yeast farting. (they help make the bread, and when asked what makes it rise, that's how I described what the yeast's function is)

Want to teach LOH how to slice bread, please? Every time she slices bread for sandwiches it looks like something out of the Art Deco movement. :p

kittycats_delight
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I bake my own bread. I do it by hand though. I don't use a machine. I made my first batch of homemade bread when I was 9. My grandmother supervised and tuned the oven on for me. She didn't want me climbing on the stove but I did everything else. I was proud as a peacock. I bake bread here in Italy in much smaller batches than I used to at home. When I would do it at home I would make a huge batch that gave me around 10 - 12 loaves and we would freeze it. I usually do 3 loaves here at a time or 1 loaf and 12 large dinner rolls. I do that once sometimes twice a week. I was given a bread machine a few years ago but I tend to use it to make pizza dough or jam. It has several setting one of them being for jam. So, I also make my own jam usually once a month. I do a batch of jam that yields 6 bottles and by the time I give you to Guido's aunt and Giulio (BIL) and Guido have a pig out on it there is 3 left by the end of the first week which lasts the rest of the month. If it comes to baking or cooking of any kind I like to try everything. I adore cooking.

Cataholic
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I marvel at people that make their own bread!!! It seems so complicated and hard. I have a bread maker (that my sister gave my mother, and she gave it to me) but I can't find a good recipe that turns out evenly done/formed bread.

I must say, that is the slimmest slice of bread I have ever seen, other than Pepperidge Farms...LOLOL! (Maya and Inka's Mommy, that is a US brand of bread).

Randi
05-31-2012, 04:00 AM
That slice of bread looks exactly the same as we got for breakfast in England, visiting John's family. They have a bread maker that looks pretty much the same as yours. John's BIL made it, he set it in the evening and the next morning we had fresh bread. :) It's a great help for elderly or handicapped people, but I do prefer handmade bread.

kittycats_delight
05-31-2012, 05:39 AM
I marvel at people that make their own bread!!! It seems so complicated and hard. I have a bread maker (that my sister gave my mother, and she gave it to me) but I can't find a good recipe that turns out evenly done/formed bread.

I must say, that is the slimmest slice of bread I have ever seen, other than Pepperidge Farms...LOLOL! (Maya and Inka's Mommy, that is a US brand of bread).

I can give you the recipe that was included with my bread maker. I used the recipe a few times when my FIL decided he wanted fresh baked bread to take to the dinner and I didn't have time to make it the 'old fashioned' way. It was very nice. It was stressed that you need to put the ingredients in the way they are listed or it won't mix or rise the way it should. It's very simple but very well blended so tastes nice. My father in law says it was a big hit every time and everyone loved it. Just let me know and I will post it for you.

sana
05-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Wow! That is just soo cool! O_O

Awesome thingy!! I wish I had a breadbaking machine!! :D

Cataholic
05-31-2012, 07:45 AM
I can give you the recipe that was included with my bread maker. I used the recipe a few times when my FIL decided he wanted fresh baked bread to take to the dinner and I didn't have time to make it the 'old fashioned' way. It was very nice. It was stressed that you need to put the ingredients in the way they are listed or it won't mix or rise the way it should. It's very simple but very well blended so tastes nice. My father in law says it was a big hit every time and everyone loved it. Just let me know and I will post it for you.

Yes, please!

kittycats_delight
05-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Yes, please!

This is the one I have made for my FIL. It is a very soft bread. It's called Country White Bread. I will post both measure for a smaller loaf and a larger loaf.

Smaller Loaf

Milk - 1 1/8 cup
Butter - 1 1/2 tbsp butter
Salt - 2 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Flour - 2 1/8 cup
Yeast (dry active) - 1/2 tbsp

Larger Loaf

Milk - 1 1/2 cup
Butter - 2 tbsp
Salt - 3 tsp
Sugar - 3 tsp
Flour - 2 3/4 cup
Yeast (dry active) - 3/4 tbsp

Add ingredients as listed about. The liquid must go on the bottom and the yeast must be the last thing added or it will not mix correctly or rise correctly. Select your bread cycle & loaf size & darkness of the crust. Not all machine have the darkness setting or even the loaf size.

If you like it and are interested in trying other recipes I have for the bread maker let me know and I can post those for you too.

I have recipes for the following.

Oatmeal Bread
French Bread
Sweet Bread
Whole Wheat Bread
Raisin Bread
Onion Bread
Potato Bread
Graham Flour Bread
Pizza Dough

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Lovely! How do you slice just a nice thin piece of bread?

I have my own home breadslice-machine! It looks like these 2

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/broodsnijmachine2.png
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/snijmachine1.jpg

Today I am baking a "cranberry & nuts bread"!! There is already a fantastic smell in the kitchen!!