PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of PETA?

janelle
05-29-2012, 12:30 AM
http://www.capwiz.com/thenokillnation/issues/alert/?alertid=61184856&type=CU

Action Alert

End PETA's Right to Take In and Kill Animals
This action is open to everyone and applies to all states.

“A former PETA employee spoke of one particular incident that burned into her mind forever: A teary-eyed man showed up at PETA headquarters one day with his beloved pet rabbit. The man had grown old and sick and was no longer able to care properly for his friend. He supplied a cage, bed, toys, and even vet records for this pet. He was assured by PETA workers that they would take "good care" of his rabbit and find him a home. The man left distraught but no doubt believing that his friend would be able to live out the rest of his life in a loving, compassionate home... PETA workers carried him to the 'death house' immediately and ended his life.

~ Douglas Anthony Cooper, Huffington Post (Article: “PETA's Celebs: Naked in the Name of Mass Pet Slaughter. 03/22/2012)

Documents obtained from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services show that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed 97 percent of the animals in its care in 2011. Since 1998, PETA has killed more than 27,000 animals at its headquarters in Norfolk, VA. Despite calling itself a “shelter,” the majority of animals––roughly 90 percent––were killed within 24 hours.

Dr. Daniel Kovich, of the Virginia Department of Agriculture, investigated PETA’s headquarters in 2010 to determine if PETA should continue to be classified as a shelter. According to Virginia code, “a shelter means a facility…that is used to house or contain animals…for the purpose of finding permanent adoptive homes for animals.”

After inspecting PETA’s headquarters, Dr. Kovich found that “PETA does not operate a facility that meets the statutory definition of an animal shelter as the primary purpose is not to find permanent adoptive homes for animals.”

Following the site visit, Dr. Kovich noted the following:

(1) “The receptionist stated that PETA did not operate an animal shelter. When I indicated that PETA did report to operate an animal shelter and that this office has inspected in it in the past, an additional staff member was called to the desk and reiterated that there was no shelter.”

(2) “The facility contains three rooms designated as animal enclosures. The rooms are not further subdivided into runs or cages. The three animals occupying the rooms were not being held for adoption. The facility does not contain sufficient animal enclosures to routinely house the number of animals annually reported as taken into custody.”

(3) “290 animal custody records [for 2010] were reviewed. 17 or 6% were recorded as adopted or in foster homes, 273 or 94% were recorded as euthanized. Of these, 245 or 90% were euthanized within the first 24 hours of custody.”

(4) “The shelter is not accessible to the public, promoted, or engaged in efforts to facilitate the adoption of animals taken into custody. PETA reception has historically been unaware of the existence of an animal shelter, and has stated to enquiring members of the public that no such facility exists. PETA has published suggested guidelines for animal shelters on their website that…their own facility does not satisfy…”

(5) “Previous inspections of [PETA’s] office have found no animals to be housed in the facility, or few animals in custody. Review of submitted annual animal record summaries by PETA…does not support that the facility has a primary intent to find permanent adoptive homes for companion animals.

PETA has argued in the past that all of the animals it kills are “unadoptable.” But this claim strains credulity: the data on PETA kill rates come from the State of Virginia’s reporting form which only asks for data for animals taken into custody “for the purpose of adoption;” PETA refuses to provide its criteria for making that determination; rescue groups and individuals have come forward stating that the animals they gave PETA were healthy and adoptable; testimony under oath in court from a veterinarian showed that PETA was given healthy and adoptable animals who were later found dead by PETA’s hands, their bodies unceremoniously thrown away in a supermarket dumpster; according to the Daily Caller, “two PETA employees described as ‘adorable’ and ‘perfect’ some of the dogs and cats they killed in the back of a PETA-owned van;” PETA’s founder has admitted they kill “adoptable” animals; and when asked what efforts they make to find animals homes, PETA told the Daily Caller that they had “no comment.”

We believe PETA should lose their classification as a “shelter,” and have their ability to take in and kill animals removed. If you agree, please sign this petition to the Virginia Department of Agriculture.

Take Action

1 Compose Message

Message Recipients:
Dan Kovich, Dr.
Matt Lohr, Commissioner
Delivery Method:
Email

Subject:
Please Remove PETA's Designation as a Shelter!

Editable text:
(edit or add your own text - 9081 characters left)
I am writing to strongly oppose PETA’s continued classification as a shelter in the State of Virginia. In 2011, PETA killed 97 percent of the animals taken into custody––the majority killed within 24 hours.

Virginia code defines a shelter as “a facility…that is used to house or contain animals…for the purpose of finding permanent adoptive homes for animals.”

In your inspection of PETA in 2010, VDACS found that PETA does not meet the statutory definition of a shelter because it “is not accessible to the public, promoted, or engaged in efforts to facilitate the adoption of animals taken into custody,” and that “[t]he facility does not contain sufficient animal enclosures to routinely house the number of animals annually reported as taken into custody.”

PETA is not operating a shelter, and should immediately lose their designation as such. Please remove their ability to take in and kill animals.

Tip: Cutting-and-pasting? Save as plain text first.

Your Closing:
Your Name:

2 Sender Information

This system requires that you provide your name and contact information. This information will not be used for any purpose other than to identify you to the recipient.
Your Contact Information:
Prefix (required by some officials)
Select... Mr. Ms. Mrs. Miss Dr. Rev. Hon.
First *
Last *

Email *

Address *

City *

State *
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming American Samoa Guam Puerto Rico Virgin Islands Armed Forces America Armed Forces Europe Armed Forces Pacific ZIP *
ZIP + 4

Phone

Remember Me! (what's this?)
Sign me up for the Action E-List.
A copy of your message will be sent to the e-mail address entered above.

(Please click only once.)
Please wait...

powered by CQ Roll Call ©2012

mrspunkysmom
05-29-2012, 02:49 AM
I think they are nuts.

They are totally against any animals being held in captivity, whether it be in a zoo or in a home as a pet. I'm split on animals used for lab testing. They do not want to co-exist with animals at all. I think they think humans are better than animals and should not have anything to do with them.

My cats have done very well being inside with me. As stewards of this earth we should have a symbiotic relationship with the animals, not master or ignore them.

JMHO

Bonny
05-29-2012, 06:44 AM
PETA is a bunch of people that have to much time on their hands. They need to find something more constructive to do with their lives.

moosmom
05-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I echo ALL the comments here. PETA does not believe in keeping animals as pets. They'd rather see them dead. PETA has killed MILLIONS of animals rather than place them into wonderful homes.

I was going to become a vegetarian (years ago) and asked PEATA to send me info on how to become one. All I got were very graphic pictures of slaughter houses, bloody animals, well, you get the picture.

I can't stand them.

Freedom
05-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Extremists, radicals, who can not be trusted.

Cataholic
05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
PETA, like many, many organizations, are neither all bad nor all good. PETA has done a lot FOR animals, probably more than many other so called 'animal groups' (HSUS, ASPCA come to mind....), but there are some very, very sketchy concepts floating around there, too. I like them for the good they do, and dislike them for some of the radical, hard line concepts, too.

The take away? Start local, stay local and have SOME idea where your charity dollars are going to.

janelle
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/douglas-anthony-cooper/peta-fighting-for-the-rig_b_1598530.htmlb

PETA may soon lose the right to kill healthy pets. As I and many others have verified, the headquarters of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in Norfolk, Virginia kills 97 per cent of the animals delivered into its care.

Norfolk, however, may soon pass legislation to make the city a "No Kill" zone.

This is a remarkable development in the growing battle to deny PETA the right to liquidate pets at its so-called "Shelter of Last Resort." The group has already killed over 27,000 creatures. The new laws, a collaboration between the City Council and Nathan Winograd of the No Kill movement, would make PETA's life very difficult. It would either have to stop killing, or move.

It is an ongoing, hard-fought war. Former PETA employees, disgusted with the butchery they have witnessed in Norfolk, have called for PETA's founder, Ingrid Newkirk, not simply to resign, but to face charges. They argue that she ought to be held to the same standards that rightly applied to football player Michael Vick.

Jessika
06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Extremists, radicals, who can not be trusted.

Pretty much my thoughts, exactly. I am not, and never will be, a supporter of PETA. I am all for animal welfare, but they are taking it waaayyyyy too far. Pets are not people, they don't think like people, they don't act like people, they are not people!

Cataholic
06-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Pretty much my thoughts, exactly. I am not, and never will be, a supporter of PETA. I am all for animal welfare, but they are taking it waaayyyyy too far. Pets are not people, they don't think like people, they don't act like people, they are not people!

What do you mean? While I agree, animals are not people (though, people are animals), animals do feel, they do think, they do 'act' like people in that they love, play, experience a wide range of emotions and are entitled to respect, care, and all the basic necessities that should be afforded all living creatures.

I am not sure how animal welfare (which is NOT what PETA ever stood for, btw) could ever be taken waaayyyyy too far.

Jessika
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
What do you mean? While I agree, animals are not people (though, people are animals), animals do feel, they do think, they do 'act' like people in that they love, play, experience a wide range of emotions and are entitled to respect, care, and all the basic necessities that should be afforded all living creatures.

I am not sure how animal welfare (which is NOT what PETA ever stood for, btw) could ever be taken waaayyyyy too far.

I am not trying to say that they don't feel/think, but they do not feel and think like WE do. We tend to humanize pets to fulfill our own satisfactions and understandings (it's much easier to believe that the dog pooped on the carpet because they're mad you left them versus they just had to go, for one example). They may act like us in some aspects, but they are still animals at the end of the day. Yes, we are animals too. But they don't have reasoning or rational thought as we do and they don't make connections the same way we do.

They absolutely need and DESERVE love, respect, care, and basic necessities, I've never said anything to imply otherwise. I'm a vet tech!!!

I did erroneously say 'welfare' instead of 'rights' (I've been studying for hours every day this week for my state board coming up so I'm a bit fried atm), and they do take animal rights way too far.

mrspunkysmom
06-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I am not trying to say that they don't feel/think, but they do not feel and think like WE do. We tend to humanize pets to fulfill our own satisfactions and understandings (it's much easier to believe that the dog pooped on the carpet because they're mad you left them versus they just had to go, for one example). They may act like us in some aspects, but they are still animals at the end of the day. Yes, we are animals too. But they don't have reasoning or rational thought as we do and they don't make connections the same way we do.

I disagree. No they are not us, but that does not mean they don't have some reasoning skills or emotions. You should see Spunky in action. Hi face is so expressive, it's scary. And he controls his environment and understands some words. "Play", Food", "eat", "Spunky". He does not acknowledge "no". :D He decides how he will play and where. The others just follow my lead. It could be that since he is the longest resident of the current crew, that he and have interacted more than the others. Perhaps I have increased his intelligence. But through the years he has taken initiative in our play time so it is partly innate intelligence on his part.

I think that being free of the dangers of outside has enabled cats to explore other aspects of their intelligence. I figure that any animal that has a personality has an intelligence that is more than basic instinct.

I did erroneously say 'welfare' instead of 'rights' (I've been studying for hours every day this week for my state board coming up so I'm a bit fried atm), and they do take animal rights way too far.

Good luck on the state board.

To me Animal Welfare and Animal Rights are synonymous. Rights is more of a legal term. I think their reasoning is skewed. We can't return dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals to the wild. We are about 40 000 years too late on dogs, 10 000 years too late with cats, and I don't know about the other domesticated animals. And whose to say that canines and felines wouldn't have joined us anyway.

They absolutely need and DESERVE love, respect, care, and basic necessities, I've never said anything to imply otherwise. I'm a vet tech!!!

Oh I agree. And more than the basic necessities. But that, like the rest, is JMHO.