PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Protocol Question

Karen
05-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Here's one I was pondering. Memorial Day is a perfect example. It is traditionally a day of remembrance, a rather somber day originally for decorating the graves of soldiers fallen in war. We still decorate the graves of loved ones, as part of Memorial Day traditions.

So it feels weird to wish someone a Happy Memorial Day - as it's a day with sad origins. But many folks now seem to regard it as simply a picnic stay, and the start of "summer" ... I have taken to saying "have a good Memorial Day," hoping that covers both sides of it for people. What do you say?

There are plenty of holidays that I am fine with wishing a happy or merry day for folks. Others, it seems awkward. And for the Jewish holidays on my calendar, I know "Happy" is fine for Hannukah, but what about Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Passover - is "happy" appropriate then? Would not want to be glib if it is a solemn day!

pomtzu
05-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Re: Memorial Day ~ I simply say "have a nice holiday".

It is both solemn and a celebration too. Yesterday my son and DIL rode the Harley down to D.C. to the "Rolling Thunder" tribute, along with about 60 other bikes and riders. They didn't ride in the actual parade - just wanted to see it - thousand of bikes along a designated route - taking hours for them to all get thru the route - and everyone of the bikes flying the flag. They took some awesome pictures - I was impressed with the whole thing.

Freedom
05-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Somebody - a non-Christian - wished me a "Happy Good Friday" this past one, while we were at the YMCA. :eek:

Lady's Human
05-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Funny you should post this, as I just sent you a PM with a kvetch about Holiday ummm....protocol.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's Memorial Day.

Veteran's Day is in November, thank me then, but still, please leave the "happy" out of it. Were it a Happy day, we wouldn't need soldiers. Armed Forces day is earlier in May. Honor those who currently serve then.

Memorial day? Remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, PJ, Segun, and others.

I know dead guys don't buy cars, so you can't market to them, but just for once, get it right, please.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-28-2012, 05:15 PM
When I was growing up, we always called it Decoration Day. It was a time for us to put flowers on the gaves of family and friends passed on. It wasn't as big of a picnic party time like it is today. At least for my family. We did enjoy remembering the ones gone and telling stories we all remembered. It was bitter sweet and still is. We also remembered how lucky we are.

Now I just say, Have a nice Memorial Day or a nice holiday! :love:

carole
05-28-2012, 06:24 PM
well we don't have a memorial day in NZ, but we have ANZAC day which is much the same,for the war veterans, and no would never consider wishing someone a happy anzac day, not appropriate,but that is just my opinion.

Grace
05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
When I was growing up, we always called it Decoration Day. It was a time for us to put flowers on the gaves of family and friends passed on. It wasn't as big of a picnic party time like it is today. At least for my family. We did enjoy remembering the ones gone and telling stories we all remembered. It was bitter sweet and still is. We also remembered how lucky we are.

Now I just say, Have a nice Memorial Day or a nice holiday! :love:

I grew up in Rhode Island, and we also called it Decoration Day. It was always on the actual day - not some convenient Monday to make a 3-day weekend.

Edwina's Secretary
05-28-2012, 10:51 PM
There are plenty of holidays that I am fine with wishing a happy or merry day for folks. Others, it seems awkward. And for the Jewish holidays on my calendar, I know "Happy" is fine for Hannukah, but what about Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Passover - is "happy" appropriate then? Would not want to be glib if it is a solemn day!

Please do not wish anyone a "happy" Yom Kippur. It is a very solemn holiday. It is the day of atonement in which you contemplate your "sins" of the last year and ask for forgiveness. it is also a day of remembering relatives who have died.

Rosh Hashana is the new year so a "happy" would be appropriate. Or L'shana tova!

Karen
05-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Please do not wish anyone a "happy" Yom Kippur. It is a very solemn holiday. It is the day of atonement in which you contemplate your "sins" of the last year and ask for forgiveness. it is also a day of remembering relatives who have died.

Rosh Hashana is the new year so a "happy" would be appropriate. Or L'shana tova!

So what would one say, to acknowledge the holiday appropriately? Have a blessed Yom Kippur? Or what? There's a large percentage of Jewish people in Newton and Brookline in particular, so it would be good to know what the right thing to say is, should the occasion arise.

Cataholic
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
This all reminds me of the "have a nice day" concept. Maybe someone just died, maybe I am dying, whatever. Why can't people just have well intended meaning behind these expressions (usually of gratitude), and not have it become overly PC? This means, of course, you must know the holiday and its meaning before you say anything.

Maybe, it is better not to say a single thing if you are not sure of the event?

sparks19
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I agree with the whole "why can't we just take it as it was intended". People are wishing you well. WHY does that make people angry? So what if they use the wrong word. As long as they aren't cursing you... Smile.

I just say "have a great weekend" or "enjoy the long weekend"

Catty1
05-29-2012, 11:11 PM
http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/High-Holiday-Greetings.htm

<dl><dd>Yom Kippur Greetings Yom Kippur (http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/yomkippur.htm) is the Jewish Day of Atonement and is considered the holiest and most solemn day on the Jewish calendar. Because Yom Kippur is a fast day, it is appropriate to wish your Jewish friends an "Easy Fast" on Yom Kippur, or in Hebrew "Tzom Kal." The traditional Yom Kippur greeting is "G'mar Hatimah Tovah" or "May You Be Sealed for a Good Year (in the Book of Life)." This reflects the Jewish view of Yom Kippur as the day when God seals our fates (determined by our actions) for the upcoming year in the Books of Life or Death. The entire ten Days of Awe (http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/What-Are-Jewish-High-Holidays.htm) from Rosh Hashanah through Yom Kippur are viewed as the beginning of the New Year, so you may also still wish your Jewish friends a "Happy New Year" or "L'Shana Tovah" on Yom Kippur.

</dd></dl>

Edwina's Secretary
05-29-2012, 11:33 PM
So what would one say, to acknowledge the holiday appropriately? Have a blessed Yom Kippur? Or what? There's a large percentage of Jewish people in Newton and Brookline in particular, so it would be good to know what the right thing to say is, should the occasion arise.

I guess - why do you feel you have to say anything regarding the holiday?

(BTW...We know how "politically correct" goes - it is the other guy who is fussing about politically correctness. Happy Holidays anyone? You might want to ask Bill O'Reilly why that makes him angry. :rolleyes::rolleyes: )

The root word of "holiday" is holy day. Not all holidays are happy days. If you have to say something - what's wrong with "I'll be thinking of you on your holiday"?

Karen
05-29-2012, 11:50 PM

Just wanting to acknowledge that I know it is an important, and sacred day for them, even if it's just a normal day of the week for us. I'd rather be able to say something nicely and let them know I am not ignoring or disregarding their faith, as some I know get very defensive about it.

sparks19
05-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Why feel the need to say anything? Because it's polite to wish people well on any day not just holidays

Lady's Human
05-30-2012, 08:45 AM

I just don't comment on the holidays of other religions,in most cases I don't know the customs associated with them. In the odd case where it was someone who went out of their way to explain a holiday, I'll make an appropriate mention, otherwise, I normally don't say anything other than the usual greeting.

sparks19
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM
I wanted to edit my last post but it won't let me do that on my phone

Just wanted to add...
It USED to be polite to wish people well but now it's turned into mincing words to turn a well wish into a hidden slight

Edwina's Secretary
05-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I just don't comment on the holidays of other religions,in most cases I don't know the customs associated with them. In the odd case where it was someone who went out of their way to explain a holiday, I'll make an appropriate mention, otherwise, I normally don't say anything other than the usual greeting.

As usual ;);)I agree with LH. If I am not confident about someone else's holiday I would hesitate to give a holiday greeting. "Happy Good Friday" sounds ghastly to me - just as "Happy Yom Kippur" does or "Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception" (which does not, as many assume, have anything to do with the Virgin Birth.)

I would rather wish someone a bland "good holiday" than offend someone with an inappropriate expression. My definition of polite!

sparks19
05-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Everyone is different but I know we are all humans and don't always say the exact right words so if someone wished me a happy *enter solemn day here* I would say THANK YOU and move on because I KNOW they have good intentions and aren't trying to be offensive. I just can't imagine why I would take offense to someone trying to be nice. it just doesn't make sense to me. Why people look for some hidden slight in everything I will never know. if someone felt the need to acknowledge a religious holiday they knew I celebrated I would be incredibly flattered that they thought enough to even REALIZE that it was a holiday for me even if it wasn't a holiday they celebrated even if they didn't use exactly the right word or even if they didn't pronouce it correctly or what have you. WHY be offended by it?

I also don't generally mention specific holidays. I usually just give a generic "Have a good long weekend" or something of the sort but to be offended if someone makes a mistake while wishing me well? it just seems like splitting hairs to me

Edwina's Secretary
05-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Well...there you have it!

Some of us see how we intend our message - and that is what matters...others see how the recipient hears our message - and that is what is matters....

I guess it depends on who you consider more important...

cassiesmom
05-31-2012, 01:28 AM
http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/High-Holiday-Greetings.htm

<dl><dd>Yom Kippur Greetings Yom Kippur (http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/yomkippur.htm) is the Jewish Day of Atonement and is considered the holiest and most solemn day on the Jewish calendar. Because Yom Kippur is a fast day, it is appropriate to wish your Jewish friends an "Easy Fast" on Yom Kippur, or in Hebrew "Tzom Kal." The traditional Yom Kippur greeting is "G'mar Hatimah Tovah" or "May You Be Sealed for a Good Year (in the Book of Life)." This reflects the Jewish view of Yom Kippur as the day when God seals our fates (determined by our actions) for the upcoming year in the Books of Life or Death. The entire ten Days of Awe (http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/What-Are-Jewish-High-Holidays.htm) from Rosh Hashanah through Yom Kippur are viewed as the beginning of the New Year, so you may also still wish your Jewish friends a "Happy New Year" or "L'Shana Tovah" on Yom Kippur.

</dd></dl>

In a previous job I had a Jewish co-worker. It was fall and she was off for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. She was giving me information because I was covering some of her cases. I told her that I hoped she would enjoy the holidays, and she explained to me about fasting for Yom Kippur and wishing someone an easy fast. I asked her if it was appropriate to say Happy New Year for Rosh Hashanah and she said it definitely was.

My grandmother used to always refer to Memorial Day as "Decoration Day". It seemed (at least around here) that it was less about picnics and the start of summer, and more attention was paid to observances and recognizing the holiday. I was glad to see that.

Cataholic
05-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Well...there you have it!

Some of us see how we intend our message - and that is what matters...others see how the recipient hears our message - and that is what is matters....

I guess it depends on who you consider more important...

Ah, I would have to say that it is the recipient's hearing, in this regard, that is most important, barring some unusual interpretative deficiencies. This is such an interesting point. We all believe we mean well, but things might come across wrong, or are taken wrong, and it further drives home the point- if you don't know how/what/why or when to appropriately greet someone, it is best to stay silent, or say something most people wouldn't take offensively.

sparks19
05-31-2012, 08:37 AM
I suppose. Although I find most people are reasonable and when you say "Have a good day" they hear "I hope the rest of your day is good to you". It just seems like the normal thing to interpret from such a phrase. I've never had anyone FLIP out because I wished them well because most people are reasonable and take things at face value. I find it a sad thing to be silent and cold but that seems to be more and more what society is turning into. Look down, don't make eye contact and don't you DARE say anything nice to anyone. Cold and sterile.

when I go somewhere like the grocery store I look up, I smile at people as I pass by, I say excuse me and apologize if there is the slightest chance I may have been in their way, etc. I find people really respond positively to that kind of thing. Smile and the whole world smiles with you. I often end up in random conversations (short ones mind you) with people around the grocery store because people are just looking for the chance to engage sometimes. My daughter does the same thing and the way people respond to her is amazing. They are always taken by her pleasant demeanor and politeness. I figure you get what you give. If you give genuine smiles and genuine greetings, that's what you get in return. People respond to kindness with kindness the vast majority of the time. If you keep your eyes down and are cold and standoffish, that's what you will get from others. A warm smile and a heartfelt "Have a good day" or "Enjoy the rest of your day" I find is almost always met with the same response :)

Every once in a while I'll smile and say Have a good day to a cashier or something on the way out and get nothing in return but her staring down at her feet and that's OK too. I just go on with my day and hope my genuine wish that they be well brightened their day even a little bit. Even on our worst days sometimes we just need someone to genuinely smile at us or extend some sort of feeling that they might care even just a little bit.

I know all the years I worked in retail and customer service jobs many times a "how are you" could open the flood gates for someone and they would just tell me everything that was bothering them that day and when that happens the best thing I could do was lend them an ear and let them get it off their chest and at the end I would just say soemthing like "Aww I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope your day starts looking up, that must be so hard to deal with." and I smile at them. Most people are reasonable and thank me for listening and they in turn wish me a good day. It's a great exchange even if it takes up "precious time".

Being warm and caring isn't a bad thing.

Cataholic
05-31-2012, 09:11 AM
^^ I agree with you. In general, in the day to day living, I am the same way. I am talking about over-extending one's knowledge base, trying to be PC by passing on greetings when they are unsure of or ignorant to the meaning of the holiday or event bringing them on. If it isn't MY religious holiday, and I am NOT sure what it really means, it seems odd to try to fake it. To me, that is being PC to a fault, and risking offending someone.

I think manners and social niceties are nice. I think being PC is overboard, at times.

I try to ALWAYS say, "good morning, how are you..." when I am on the phone with people. A huge percentage of the time there is silence at the other end...they weren't expecting or aren't used to such a greeting. Odd.

pomtzu
05-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes - it's nice to strike up a random conversation with someone and be friendly - but some people still just don't get it.

Example - When I was at the vet with Sparky this past Tuesday, there was a woman in there with a cute little ShihTzu also. I tried to strike up a friendly conversation with her about her dog, and she looked at me like I had 2 heads, and appeared to not want to be bothered. I thought maybe her pup was really sick and she was worried about it and didn't want to chit-chat. But no - when she was at the desk paying and getting ready to leave - I heard the talk between her and the tech - and the pup was just there for a routine visit.

Damned if you do - damned if you don't! :(

caseysmom
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes - it's nice to strike up a random conversation with someone and be friendly - but some people still just don't get it.

Example - When I was at the vet with Sparky this past Tuesday, there was a woman in there with a cute little ShihTzu also. I tried to strike up a friendly conversation with her about her dog, and she looked at me like I had 2 heads, and appeared to not want to be bothered. I thought maybe her pup was really sick and she was worried about it and didn't want to chit-chat. But no - when she was at the desk paying and getting ready to leave - I heard the talk between her and the tech - and the pup was just there for a routine visit.

Damned if you do - damned if you don't! :(

I don't get those kind of people either...pretty antisocial....

sparks19
05-31-2012, 02:38 PM
^^ I agree with you. In general, in the day to day living, I am the same way. I am talking about over-extending one's knowledge base, trying to be PC by passing on greetings when they are unsure of or ignorant to the meaning of the holiday or event bringing them on. If it isn't MY religious holiday, and I am NOT sure what it really means, it seems odd to try to fake it. To me, that is being PC to a fault, and risking offending someone.

I think manners and social niceties are nice. I think being PC is overboard, at times.

I try to ALWAYS say, "good morning, how are you..." when I am on the phone with people. A huge percentage of the time there is silence at the other end...they weren't expecting or aren't used to such a greeting. Odd.

Yes I agree with all you have said

kitten645
05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
On the flip side, I went to several farmers markets this last weekend. I noticed that the lady I buy from sometimes wasn't @ one. She was @ the next one we went to. I mentioned I had missed her @ the other one and was glad to see her. She launched into a tirade about the person who was in her space was a witch that was having her banned and she got a restraining order because she's her sister in law and she's turned her brother into a thief that stole her dads guns from the basement to frame him if he were to kill her to inherit the farm......blah blah blah :eek:This went on for quite an uneasy while, even as she weighted and took care of other customers. We finally just slowly stepped back and left! :rolleyes: Sometimes you just never know what kind of a can of worms you open with a simple, well intentioned greeting!

Cataholic
05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
^^ that is exactly what I am NOT referring to. That person is unhinged. Most people (at least the ones I deal with) are not unhinged. I don't think we should allow the .005% of our life's experiences influence the remainder (I can't do the math to figure it out!!).

Edwina's Secretary
05-31-2012, 11:02 PM

As always Cat - you have crystalized it! This thread is not...and at least originally was not...about wishing someone a good day or chatting up the clerk at the checkout.

The question was - how to deal with holiday greetings for holidays with which you are not familiar. I said, and still say - I would rather give an innocuous "my thoughts will be with you" that to offend. If some people think that trying not to offend is "PC" -- so be it.

As I recall there is an expression...."the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Lady's Human
05-31-2012, 11:23 PM
As I recall there is an expression...."the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

And some people are intent on building a 4 lane superhighway.

Pleasant greetings are one thing, as mentioned, though, this this thread is about holidays and appropriate mentions. The reason I brought up making appropriate comments to those who have gone out of their way to explain the holidays is that I had a senior NCO in a unit who explained his faith (Islam) to anyone who asked, and whenever he took a day for religious reasons he would explain it to everyone who paid attention, as he was tired of comments about SFC A. getting all the days off for his religion. He didn't just take the days off, he practiced his faith. I wish I had been wise enough at the time to pay more attention. Because he did what he did, the comments were few and were mainly making the appropriate wishes on whatever the day happened to be. His actions brought understanding to a group who wouldn't normally get that type of instruction, and tolerance for the faith within the unit because of his actions.

I cringe when I hear some of the comments made to people on religious holidays, "Happy good Friday" is not as uncommon as one might think. If you don't know what the holiday is about, just exchange normal greetings. If they are zealous enough to be offended by someone missing whatever holiday it is, then they should be zealous enough to educate the people the come in contact with about the holiday, rather than just getting annoyed that the holiday isn't common knowledge.

sparks19
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Someone will get annoyed if you wish them well on a holiday the "wrong" way and some will get annoyed if you don't acknowledge their holiday. I guess it's just a matter of playing the odds lol.

Edwina's Secretary
06-01-2012, 06:30 PM
How interesting! I've never known or known of anyone who was annoyed because they didn't receive acknowledgment of their holiday. Takes all kinds I guess.

Perhaps it is a regional thing?

It does remind me of the expression - It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.

RICHARD
06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
I was watching the NASCAR/Memorial Weekend race and a woman racer - who happens to be a total dork - was being interviewed, at the end of the interview she looked into the camera and says, "Happy Memorial Day!"

--------------------

I had a boss who turned to me and said, "Happy Cinco de Mayo".

She did it as a slight, to me. She wasn't intelligent and lacked manners.

------------------

As a matter of principle, I don't even bother with holidays anymore.

People mostly are ignorant of what a 'holiday' is.

It started out as a HOLY DAY. Not a day to get drunk and kill someone while you text driving...

--------------------------------------

I just thank god that Washington and Lincoln were presidents.

I always get stuff on sale on Prez' Day.

RICHARD
06-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Just had a convo about Good Friday and Easter.

"Happy Good Friday".

Yea! Let's celebrate Jesus getting nailed to a cross!

And a few days later we celebrate him coming back to life!

Talk about a conundrum?:confused::eek::o

sparks19
06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I have never had anyone get upset that I didn't acknowledge their holiday but apparently others have had that experience. I have also never had anyone get mad for an seemingly inappropriately worded acknowledgement of their holiday either but apparently those people also exsist. It does take all kinds.

All kinds of sayings out there. I don't really live my day to day life based on quote snippets. I just go day to day trying to be as kind as I can to others.

sparks19
06-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I actually can't recall even hearing anyone (in person) get upset when I've said Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. It could have happened but I can't think of one time at this moment. Most people just smile and respond with whatever they feel comfortable saying

Edwina's Secretary
06-01-2012, 10:33 PM
All kinds of sayings out there. I don't really live my day to day life based on quote snippets. I just go day to day trying to be as kind as I can to others.

I find those "quote snippets" can be very useful in how to live my life. "As you are to the least of my people, so shall you be onto me", "do onto others as you would have done onto you" "judge not, lest you be judged" "a stitch in time saves nine", "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." I find the wisdom of those who have lived before me useful.

And while I agree, I have never heard anyone get upset when wished "Merry Christmas" ...sadly I can say I have known people to be upset when wished "Happy Holidays." Those must be those grumpy people you are thinking of!;);)

RICHARD
06-02-2012, 07:14 AM
I have never had anyone get upset that I didn't acknowledge their holiday but apparently others have had that experience. I have also never had anyone get mad for an seemingly inappropriately worded acknowledgement of their holiday either but apparently those people also exsist. It does take all kinds.

I don't think it the idea of not acknowledging a day, it's more about the way that people have missed the true meaning of the 'holiday'.

When I worked and was part of a union, the holidays became a way to get time off or extra pay.

Between a three day weekend or double time and a half, it became a fight between employees to get one or the other.

A night shift on a holiday - back in the day - was pretty lucrative. If you earned 10 bucks an hour and a 35 cent incentive for the evening shift?

If you had a family, no amount of money could make up for time away from them.

The one thing I learned from doing a holiday shift was you really didn't benefit from the extra money, the gov't. taxed the crap out of it anyway.

----------------------------

My peeve as time has gone by, is the fact that people DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about holidays.

Another great example is St. Patrick's Day.

While not a general holiday, the Catholic religion used to emphasize remembering the Saints.

Hokay,

But why did it turn into a day where people dress in green, wear buttons "Kiss me, I'm Irish" and get shiat faced drunk?

Same with Cinco de Mayo.

So, now we get into the three day weekend deals.

Once upon a time, we used to commemorate 'holidays' on the day they happened.

Now we lump president's days together, make it a three day weekend and grill dead meat, get sunburned and come back to work on Tuesday with not a whit of ambition. No one cares about dead presidents.

Unless we get a day off or a piece of paper with their picture on it.

-----------

I am not against celebrating anything for anyone, any religion or anything.

It's just the way we have lost the meaning of any holiday.

sparks19
06-02-2012, 07:42 AM
I find those "quote snippets" can be very useful in how to live my life. "As you are to the least of my people, so shall you be onto me", "do onto others as you would have done onto you" "judge not, lest you be judged" "a stitch in time saves nine", "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." I find the wisdom of those who have lived before me useful.

And while I agree, I have never heard anyone get upset when wished "Merry Christmas" ...sadly I can say I have known people to be upset when wished "Happy Holidays." Those must be those grumpy people you are thinking of!;);)

Well like you said... Takes all kinds. You live your life the way you want to and others will do the same. Can't please everyone. I just try to be polite and friendly to everyone I meet. Others don't feel that way and that is OK. It won't stop me from being pleasant to others just because some people want to drag other people down or treat them like they are lesser beings.

Although, the bible snippets you quoted is kind of what I mean by "quote snippets". One should read the entire 25th chapter of Matthew to get the context of the little snippet.

In the end, we won't agree on how everyone should conduct their lives. I will leave with a little snippet "to each his own". This little back and forth has been interesting but not overly productive

Have a great day

Lady's Human
06-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Well like you said... Takes all kinds. You live your life the way you want to and others will do the same. Can't please everyone. I just try to be polite and friendly to everyone I meet. Others don't feel that way and that is OK. It won't stop me from being pleasant to others just because some people want to drag other people down or treat them like they are lesser beings.

Where in this thread did you get THAT?

sparks19
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Where in this thread did you get THAT?

I didn't get it from anywhere in the thread. It was just a general statement.

Like when people yell at cashiers (just as an example) for something beyond the employees control.

sparks19
06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Sorry for the additional post... When I post from my phone it won't let me edit.

When I was in customer service people would flip out on the cashiers for things they couldn't help. For example, when tim hortons raised the price of coffee .05 cents a cup. Man were people angry but unfortunately there was nothing I could do about it. It's not like I raised the price lol. But when that happens you just have to smile, apologize and wish them a good day... Even if you might want to respond in a different manner lol

Edwina's Secretary
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
To get us back on topic...today is the anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II of England...what is the proper greeting for this holiday? ;);)

Cataholic
06-02-2012, 07:33 PM
^^Long live the Queen? LOL!

sparks19
06-02-2012, 10:44 PM

Hahahahaha

I was thinking "off with her head" but that's the wrong Queen lol.

My grandmother (born and bred in London) would probably smack me for this lol

Lady's Human
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
To get us back on topic...today is the anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II of England...what is the proper greeting for this holiday? ;);)

What if they support the Provos?

Edwina's Secretary
06-02-2012, 11:56 PM

Long live the Provos?:p:p

Bonny
06-03-2012, 07:28 AM

Long Live The Queen in caps makes common sense too ;)

RICHARD
06-03-2012, 08:11 AM

I was watching the tube and the newsreader mentioned that the Queen had spend "60 years on the throne".

I usually am done pretty quickly, unless I am reading.

And you think that some one would have at least knocked on the door to check up on her?

"She's been on the throne for a while, could someone go in and check on her?"

If she needed assistance would that be where "God, Save the Queen" came from?:eek:

Bonny
06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I was watching the tube and the newsreader mentioned that the Queen had spend "60 years on the throne".

I usually am done pretty quickly, unless I am reading.

And you think that some one would have at least knocked on the door to check up on her?

"She's been on the throne for a while, could someone go in and check on her?"

If she needed assistance would that be where "God, Save the Queen" came from?:eek:

Seriously, I think your right on there Richard. ;)

pomtzu
06-03-2012, 11:40 AM

I think even the stuffy old Queen would get a chuckle out of that.

But I have to admit that she does smile a lot more than she used to. She was always so sullen and grumpy looking in past years. Maybe she's smiling now because she knows that she will soon give up her throne - for whatever reasons. :D

Miss Z
06-03-2012, 12:49 PM
today is the anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II of England...what is the proper greeting for this holiday? ;);)

"Pimm's, please!"

:D

smokey the elder
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
"Great party, hey, Your Majesty? :D" (Someone said words similar to this at a Pennsic War years ago!