PDA

View Full Version : Amy & Giz trip to the vet

Laura's Babies
05-25-2012, 04:07 PM
I have been having some concerns about these two and took them to the vet. Amy's back legs seems to be loosing muscle mass to me, even at times, she has lost fur like she is laying on them to much and wearing it off. I don't remember how long ago it was that I think I posted on here that I was thought she was getting worse with her CH.. It has gotten worse and now she is loosing muscle mass in her hind quarters.. The vet noticed it soon as he saw her and said "WOW!"

His suggestion is to make her use those legs more, move the food dish further away or hide it and make her look for it.. (I can hear 4 screaming cats every morning if I do that!) But I have got to encourage her to use those legs more... ANY suggestions or ideas will be appreciated! She can still climb up on the sofa, bed and stuff using them to help her up. This is a picture where you can see her legs and I can tell but most of you probably can't since you are not use to what they use to look like... (But this is how she sits/lays ALL day, every day.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/IMG_0871-2.jpg

Now, Miss Beautiful Giz! I noticed about 6 weeks ago that her breath suddenly smelling really bad.. She has always has that constipation problem and I think I got a handle on that using mineral oil. I have stopped the throwing up all of them were doing when I took them off of Science Diet so now I had a new problem with this bad breath. I just kept a real close eye on her and watched her for any other signs that something was wrong.. I got that when I started finding her just laying in the litter box! :eek: She would lay in the box for about 15 minutes, then stand up and use it and I was always near by to catch whatever she did before she covered it up.. It always looked normal.. :confused: However, I knew that her laying in the litter box was not normal for her!

Vet said her teeth have mild tarter but not enough to cause bad breath so my next guess was anal glands and I said so and he agreed and without gloves or even a napkin, he went back there and just did a mild squeeze and WOW!! It just poured out... He had to get his tech to hold Giz and hold her tail to keep it out of the stuff so he could get a paper towel to clean it up and get it off of her. SO! Let's hope that cures that bad breath and makes her more comfortable... (I had NO idea that much stuff was in those glands! Poor baby!)

Next week I take Samantha and Caramella.... Bet he tells me feed Samantha more and put Caramella on a diet! LOL!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/IMG_0861.jpg

Karen
05-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Poor Giz must feel so much better!

Can you do any play sessions with just Amy, to encourage her to use those back legs more? Maybe with a feather on a string type thing, so she has to reach up for it?

cassiesmom
05-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Poor Giz must feel so much better!

That's what I was thinking too! Beautiful Giz, I bet you feel a lot better now. And Amy, sweetie... could she kick at a toy with her back feet, I wonder? If anyone is able to come up with ways to help her it's her caring meowmie :love: Hugs and kisses and snuggles to AMy and Giz, Samantha and Caramella :love: :love: :love: :love:

emily_the_spoiled
05-29-2012, 09:05 AM
I have two CH guys and I understand your worry about Amy's back legs. I do not have any advice for you, because my CH guys move around the house to follow the sun and the other cats keep them busy. But it is a worry that I have for when they start getting a little older...

catmandu
05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
We are so pleased that Giz got to the bottom of her problems, I am sorry about that bad pun.
I am praying that Amy will be better soon , its scary when Our Cats are ill:(:(:(

emily_the_spoiled
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
So I was reading the latest mailing from Best Friends and they talked about using a sling method to help a cat with weak back legs gain more strength. I am not sure that would work with Amy, but it might be worth a try. Here is a link for dogs and slings, but it is the same prinicipal with cats: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-do-i-sling-my-dog-to-help-him-walk/page1.aspx

phesina
05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
We're all sending prayers and loving good wishes and healing energies for Amy and Giz. Here's hoping that Giz continues to do well after the Big Squeeze.

How is sweet little Amy doing now? My two CH boys Elmer and Bob are especially concerned. Those sound like good ideas to encourage her use of her hind legs with toys.. how about dipping them in some really strong-smelling catnip first?

Love to all your kitties and you, Laura,

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

snakemama
05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Ah Giz, I hope you're feeling much better now. Those yucky glands can sure hold surprises sometimes!