PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Thursday #482

RICHARD
05-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone.

Just stopped in to open the bar for this weekend.

It's time to take a minute and remember all our loved ones.

Thanks.

Now?

I have to mow the lawn by the deck and get the grill cleaned out.

How's about some grilled fish and G&Ts?

Done?

Pinot's Mom
05-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey barkeep - sounds great, but can I get a V & T instead? Thanks!

By the way; been meaning to send you a message...since you so stubbornly sent what I told you not to, I'm going to do with it what I told you to. ;) I know you'll get that. :love:

mrspunkysmom
05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I'll have some fruit wine with the fish. And some grilled veggies on the side.

Karen
05-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Today I went with my Dad, older brother and one of my nieces to decorate the family graves for Memorial Day. We planted geraniums and dusty miller on my mother's and grandparents graves, petunias for the babies (my older brother and sister who only lived a day), and then geraniums, dusty miller and some extra petunias on my great grandparents and Uncle Mac and Aunt Adrian's graves, and geraniums and petunias for Uncle Bill and Aunt C, and got to remind my brother that "Leodore" was Uncle Bill's given name. That meant going to three cemeteries, and past where various relatives of previous generations lived. This year Dad remembered the wire brush to help discourage the lichen on the headstones, and we were all satisfied with the work and that it was done.

And of course this weekend will be the gathering in Findlay, albeit a smaller one than usual this year, and we will all be remembering Phred who was the heart of those gatherings for many years.

Lady'sOtherHuman
05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I heard about that Karen, you were even 15 minutes early. Pa said he put a big X on the calendar and he called LH and told him. I'm glad things went well out there and apparently Diane's new nickname is "The Zombie".

Barkeep I would like something red, white and blue for a drink. Got any ideas?

cassiesmom
05-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Oh, good, Thursdays is open! Hi, everyone :) Could I have coffee, please? Well, decaf.

Karen
05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I heard about that Karen, you were even 15 minutes early. Pa said he put a big X on the calendar and he called LH and told him. I'm glad things went well out there and apparently Diane's new nickname is "The Zombie".

That was a temporary condition, we met at Pa's early in the morning, and she was not exactly conscious when they got there. She woke up for real after a few minutes and a bracing hug from me! ;) She inherited the "do not attempt conversation before coffee and sufficient time has elapsed" gene everyone but me got from Pa's side. I am the only one of my siblings that got Ma's "awake!" genes - as soon as my feet hit the floor I'm up and cheerful, but I learned to curb that cheeriness early. That's probably the only reason I survived to adulthood ...

I was early as I had allowed extra time for traffic - and as I live so close to the highways now, I didn't have the wandering path TO the turnpike I did at the old house. Most of the cars in Eastern Massachusetts were headed eastbound on the turnpike, whereas I usually encounter heavy traffic at least some of the way westbound!

Dunno about red white and blue alcoholic drinks, but I have some blueberries in the freezer we can drop into some iced tea, add some frozen raspberries and we're most of the way there!

Lady's Human
05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
That's probably the only reason I survived to adulthood ...

Correction: That IS the only reason you survived to adulthood. I found some red, white and blue cocktails, but none of them looked remotely appetizing.

catland
05-25-2012, 02:35 PM
This will be my first year going up to where my mom and dad are interred at Willamette National (our local military cemetery). It's a beautiful place - and every year for memorial day the boy scouts put flags at every one of the grave markers. Its a beautiful sight.

RICHARD
05-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey barkeep - sounds great, but can I get a V & T instead? Thanks!

By the way; been meaning to send you a message...since you so stubbornly sent what I told you not to, I'm going to do with it what I told you to. ;) I know you'll get that. :love:

One V&T, Done.

Sent you a PM....

Mrs. PM.

One glass of fruit wine!

DONE!

Karen,
Thanks for reminding us again.

LOH,

"I'm a bartender not an artist, Jim!"

LOL, let me give it a gander?

CM,

One decaf? DONE!

LH,

A late Happy B-day.

I know how it feels when your candles can be seen from space and light up the moon.

Still looking for a R,W&B cocktail.

CatLand,

As the years go by things do get better.

Glad to see you here......

momoffuzzyfaces
05-27-2012, 01:40 PM
My cousin was in town yesterday and we put flowers on our families graves. Strange but we always have a good time. We don't get to see each other that much so we catch up on family news, tell stories we remember about when we were kids, and just have a grand time. Then we usually eat out or bring something to my house so we can chat and eat and giggle. It was a wonderful time but I am so exhausted today I can hardly walk. For some reason my brain doesn't seem to want to make my fingers type correctly or remember how to spell either. Must have been all that fresh air. I really should get out more than once a year I guess.

So, can I have some fish, potato salad, cole slaw and a cherry rootbeer? :love:

Karen
05-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I'll serve that up for you, moff. It's always good to carry on a tradition, and chat with family as well!

Lady's Human
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
All of a sudden this seems apropos:

I just made Klam Juz!!!!!!

:p

Lady's Human
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Okay, Clam Fritters and Onion rings will be on in a bit, anyone want 'em?

As an aside, under the heading of ouchie, I mentioned to LOH that I had pulled a groin muscle the other day out working in the garden. Well, Some idiot left the windows in my truck open, and we had a thunderstorm. Out to close the windows, closed 'em, came back in the house, rather, went to come back in the house, and slipped right off the deck. Guess what I re-pulled?

Beer. LARGE. Now?

Karen
05-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Some of each, please!

And Yowch! Feel better soon! And please send the storms my way - the Turtle is all yellow with pollen, and could use a hard rain wash!

Lady's Human
05-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Here ya go!

(I wonder if Ronnie's would deliver to Whitney Point?)

Karen
05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Here ya go!

That would take a driver with LOTS of restraint for sure! :)

Lady'sOtherHuman
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
That was a temporary condition, we met at Pa's early in the morning, and she was not exactly conscious when they got there. She woke up for real after a few minutes and a bracing hug from me! ;) She inherited the "do not attempt conversation before coffee and sufficient time has elapsed" gene everyone but me got from Pa's side. I am the only one of my siblings that got Ma's "awake!" genes - as soon as my feet hit the floor I'm up and cheerful, but I learned to curb that cheeriness early. That's probably the only reason I survived to adulthood ...

I was early as I had allowed extra time for traffic - and as I live so close to the highways now, I didn't have the wandering path TO the turnpike I did at the old house. Most of the cars in Eastern Massachusetts were headed eastbound on the turnpike, whereas I usually encounter heavy traffic at least some of the way westbound!

Dunno about red white and blue alcoholic drinks, but I have some blueberries in the freezer we can drop into some iced tea, add some frozen raspberries and we're most of the way there!

You're not the only one who got Ma's Awake genes. I think Axel has some of them too.:rolleyes:

Lady'sOtherHuman
05-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Here ya go!

I'll let you know when I'm down that way in July.

Karen
05-30-2012, 02:54 PM
You're not the only one who got Ma's Awake genes. I think Axel has some of them too.:rolleyes:

Hee hee - they must be recessive - as Lady's Human sure doesn't have 'em - not demonstrably, anyway! :)

Lady's Human
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
First, Fine, keep rubbing it in.......

Second, I don't know where Axel gets those genes from, it ain't either one of us. :confused: You've seen both of us in the morning, it ain't pretty.

Lady'sOtherHuman
05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Hee hee - they must be recessive - as Lady's Human sure doesn't have 'em - not demonstrably, anyway! :)

He would have to have the genes to demonstrate them, I don't think he ever had them. If he did he destroyed them as soon as he discovered them.:p