PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on Pirate...he has started spraying.

kittycats_delight
05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
So, Pirate has always been a handful. This last week though he has started spraying. And he did the mother of all sprays just now. Guido had just come home from the gym and was laid back relaxing on the bed. Pirate pranced over, turned tail and let drift all over Guido. I don't know what to do with him. I don't know why he is doing it. I am stumped. I have already made an appointment with the vet. He will be going in next week to rule out a medical issue but this really seems behavioral in nature. He really is a brat of gigantic proportions. He is demanding and he wants things his way, right away. Any advice or ideas about what's going on with him or what I can do? HELP!!!! I want to get a hold NOW!!!

Karen
05-24-2012, 11:57 AM
How old is he now? Any changes in the household?

kittycats_delight
05-24-2012, 12:07 PM
He is just over a year old and has been neutered since he was 6 months old. Phoenix has been hanging out on my bed during the day lately and is being her not so pleasant self with him but she has never been nice to the other cats. She tolerates them at best. The weather has changed recently and it has gotten much warmer and we had an earthquake that really spooked him about 5 days ago.

Karen
05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Once he's been to the vet to rule out anything medical, well, he's about at that "teenager figuring things out" stage in life. Keep a spray bottle of water handy, see what he reacts to - whether a loud hand clap or even hiss like an angry cat* - that will startle and interrupt him, and remember to be more stubborn than he is in these attempts.

*Paul does this really well, but I never have been able to. I would swear I am making the same noise as he is, but when he does it, cats run away, when I do it, they look at me in a milady curious way, but are not impressed, never mind scared off!

Catty1
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
He will be a feisty boy for a while yet. Is there some Feliway or something you could use in the short term?

I hope the vet has some ideas. And he could have an owie that is irritating him.

Hoping for a quick and easy solution!:)

Kirsten
05-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Wow, this sounds tough. Some kind of dominance thing maybe?

moosmom
05-24-2012, 07:22 PM
FELIWAY!!!! Works great! Hope everything goes well at the vet.

kittycats_delight
05-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Keep a spray bottle of water handy,

Spraying water at him doesn't do anything. He could care less. Loud noises atleast man made one like clap of the hands or hissing or even yelling his name doesn't phase him either. He just pins his ears back and keeps doing what he was doing. He is a difficult little monster.

He will be a feisty boy for a while yet. Is there some Feliway or something you could use in the short term?

I hope the vet has some ideas. And he could have an owie that is irritating him.

Hoping for a quick and easy solution!:)

If he is anything like Frost he will always be a feisty boy when he wants to be. I too hope this is a quick and easy fix. Fingers crossed right?

Wow, this sounds tough. Some kind of dominance thing maybe?

I think it is dominance too and maybe something else as well. He has the dominant behavior. He is basically alpha cat. But has some major issues with Phoenix. And since Phoenix has been hanging out in his sanctuary lately I am thinking he is marking it as his to send her the message loud and clear. But Phoenix doesn't care. If she wants to be somewhere she is going to be there...PERIOD!!!

FELIWAY!!!! Works great! Hope everything goes well at the vet.

Donna I was thinking the same thing. Guido was very upset when Pirate marked him. I asked about kitty prozac but I told him I didn't want to go there unless I really HAVE to. I told him others seem to have had some success with a collar well sprayed with feliway. So, when we go to the vet next week I will ask the doc for some. The vet is the only place I can get it as it isn't available to the general public but I know I can get one from him.

Jessika
05-25-2012, 08:57 PM
You're already on the right path by bringing him to the vet to rule out any medical reasons. Sometimes environmental things, like the earthquake mentioned, can really freak them out for days. I'm not saying that is the cause but may be a factor in it that put him on edge initially. The feliway is definitely worth a try as well. I'm sorry I don't have many other suggestions for you other than those already mentioned... but wanted to say good luck at the vet!

krazyaboutkatz
05-26-2012, 01:12 AM
I sure hope that you'll be able to find a solution for Pirate. So I guess there's no way that you can keep Phoenix and Pirate separated. I'm having some issues with Pearl but luckily I can keep her separated from Colby if I need to. Good luck.:)

catmandu
05-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Every once in a while Old Tubster Panther will spray all over me too, but the spray is weak now.:eek::eek:
Tell Guido that this is a mark of Cat Love and they are marking you as theirs!
It may not smell good, but Love:love: is Love:love:

mrspunkysmom
05-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Every once in a while Old Tubster Panther will spray all over me too, but the spray is weak now.:eek::eek:
Tell Guido that this is a mark of Cat Love and they are marking you as theirs!
It may not smell good, but Love:love: is Love:love:

IS that what Spunky or Sam are doing when they pee on the counter? I feel so loved. :love::love: :D I put a new Feliway plug-in in the kitchen , thinking it worked the last time.

Can't offer you much hope, but they have their reasons for acting out. they may not be malicious creatures, but they do like to make a statement. :D