PDA

View Full Version : Injured Ribs

Taz_Zoee
05-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Last week a co-worker teasingly bumped me with her hip. Which would have been fine except I wasn't expecting it and now I have injured ribs. I couldn't take a breath last Thursday at all. Went to the chiro and now I can breathe. But today the pain is very bad again. Maybe I slept wrong last night???

Can you tell me your rib stories? How long does it take to heal? What can I do (or not do) to help the process?

pomtzu
05-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I had a cracked rib years ago, and there's not much at all you can do for it, other than to just be careful. I tripped over my blind RB dog when she wandered in front of me, and I fell against the kitchen counter. Big ouch. I feel your pain Cindy. Just don't sneeze - tha's a BIG TIME ouch!

Taz_Zoee
05-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Mine is my ribs in my back so sneezing isn't too bad. Coughing or taking a deep breath is a task though. I can take a deep breath right now, but it feels like it's getting to the point I was at last Thursday where I won't be able to hardly breathe at all. I also hurt when I reach with my left arm. Which is proving to be difficult here at work. Reaching for the stapler and sometimes just the keyboard to type is painful. Standing at the copier hurts, I can't find a comfortable position that doesn't cause pain.
I've been trying to be careful, but last night I had to go grocery shopping. Lifted a couple heavier items to the cart and to the car. That might have done it. :(
Thanks Ellie! :)

Freedom
05-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Mine is my ribs in my back so sneezing isn't too bad. Coughing or taking a deep breath is a task though. I can take a deep breath right now, but it feels like it's getting to the point I was at last Thursday where I won't be able to hardly breathe at all. I also hurt when I reach with my left arm. Which is proving to be difficult here at work. Reaching for the stapler and sometimes just the keyboard to type is painful. Standing at the copier hurts, I can't find a comfortable position that doesn't cause pain.
I've been trying to be careful, but last night I had to go grocery shopping. Lifted a couple heavier items to the cart and to the car. That might have done it. :(
Thanks Ellie! :)

What makes you think this is injured ribs? It could also be pneumonia. Back, breathing issues, reaching with left arm, all "could" be from fluid in the left lung.

lizbud
05-22-2012, 10:58 AM
My first thought is, how tall is this woman anyway? Trying to picture how she could cause you a rib
injury with her hip.;) I'd visit the DR to check you out & maybe RX you a muscle relaxant to help
with healing, if it's just a bruse to the ribcage. Pain causes the body to tense up which in turn
causes more pain. A vicious cycle.:( Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Taz_Zoee
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I know not everyone believes in chiropractors, but I've been to one twice. The day it happened and then two days later. That is how I know it is a rib injury. He's broken ribs in his back himself, so he knows what I'm going through.

OMG, I am so sorry everyone. I am being such a rude person right now. I'm going to just stop for now until I can be nicer. :(

The girl is half my size. The issue stems from me not being prepared for the bump. She said she didn't even hit me that hard. It was just a fluke thing. Plus I already have back issues.

Karen
05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Have you tried wrapping an ace bandage around the ribs affected? That would limit the movement, but other than that, there's not a whole lot one can do about that! Have some extra ice cream or yogurt - the calcium is the excuse, you need it to help heal the bones, and indulging yourself might help you feel a teensy bit better!

I'll retract the offer of hugs from the other thread - don't want to reinjure you!

Taz_Zoee
05-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Have you tried wrapping an ace bandage around the ribs affected? That would limit the movement, but other than that, there's not a whole lot one can do about that! Have some extra ice cream or yogurt - the calcium is the excuse, you need it to help heal the bones, and indulging yourself might help you feel a teensy bit better!

I'll retract the offer of hugs from the other thread - don't want to reinjure you!

My co-worker said the same thing about ice cream! Only we didn't have a flavor I liked so I skipped it and ate my friends left over lunch. :)
If I am still in this much pain tomorrow I will call the chiro. He may suggest I get x-rays. Or I might ask if I should. Tonight I had a sharp pain in my chest too. Will this ever end?!?! I need to clean my house but that is about impossible right now. :(

mrspunkysmom
05-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your ribs. Did you hit something when she "hipped" you? Or twist your back or pinch a nerve?

Hope the chiro can help you. X-rays might be in order just to rule out other problems.

Prayers that you start feeling better soon. :love:

Lady's Human
05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
I've cracked ribs in the past, and the only thing that heals it is time. Agonizing time. Try auditioning on a trumpet with cracked ribs......not fun.

One of my coworkers dislocated a rib, and went through something similar to what you're describing, he wound up making several chiro visits to get it taken care of. If I remember correctly, it took him about a month to completely be free from pain.

Taz_Zoee
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your ribs. Did you hit something when she "hipped" you? Or twist your back or pinch a nerve?

Hope the chiro can help you. X-rays might be in order just to rule out other problems.

Prayers that you start feeling better soon. :love:

The chiropractor said what happened to me is basically like whiplash. You can get whiplash in places other than your neck. So when she bumped me it caused my hips to go one direction and the rest of my body the other, in a whipping fashion.
Thank you so much for the prayers. :)

I've cracker ribs in the past, and the only thing that heals it is time. Agonizing time. Try auditioning on a trumpet with cracked ribs......not fun.

One of my coworkers dislocated a rib, and went through something similar to what you're describing, he wound up making several chiro visits to get it taken care of. If I remember correctly, it took him about a month to completely be free from pain.

Thanks for the info on how long it could take to heal. I was wondering how long I'd have to deal with this. Yesterday I was in a lot of pain. Today, so far, it is not as bad. If it gets bad like yesterday I will be visiting the chiro again.

david p
05-24-2012, 08:09 AM
I agree with helping injured ribs with a big Ace bandage. I was in a car accident where I had three fractured ribs and they immediately put one of those on me in the hospital and while my ribs were somewhat uncomfortable with it on, they weren't hurting as much. Taz, I hope you get better with your rib.

Taz_Zoee
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Surprisingly my ribs feel much better! :D Yesterday I had hardly any pain. I am still being super careful though. I still haven't cleaned my house, LOL. I still get pains when I move certain ways. But it is so much better than last Thursday or even this past Tuesday. So I believe I am on the road to recovery! And I didn't have to go to the chiropractor this week......whew! Saved me some money. :)

david p
05-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Surprisingly my ribs feel much better! :D Yesterday I had hardly any pain. I am still being super careful though. I still haven't cleaned my house, LOL. I still get pains when I move certain ways. But it is so much better than last Thursday or even this past Tuesday. So I believe I am on the road to recovery! And I didn't have to go to the chiropractor this week......whew! Saved me some money. :)

Hey Taz, I'm glad to hear that improving with those ribs!

Taz_Zoee
05-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Thank you David! :)

kitten645
05-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Cin! I'm so sorry about just seeing this. I cracked some very young falling off a horse. The worse thing if you can't take a deep breath, that's ALL you want to do. I hope you are feeling better and can get some xrays. Your ribs protect alot of important stuff. Please take care and feel better!
Claudia & Calvin

Taz_Zoee
05-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Thank you Claudia! I am feeling much better. But I just have to remember I still need to take it easy. Just because I'm not hurting as much does not mean I can do things I was doing before. Although I have put off cleaning the house until the last possible minute........so it must be done tonight. :( :p

Cataholic
05-25-2012, 07:34 PM
As a doctor(just not medical.lol), you should take another week off of house cleaning.

Taz_Zoee
05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
As a doctor(just not medical.lol), you should take another week off of house cleaning.

I like this advice!!! :D Can I leave out the part where you say "just not medical"?? Sorry honey, I can't clean the house.....doctors orders. :p

Unfortunately, I do have to do a couple things - vacuum the hardwood and clean the bathroom. But I will be super careful. Use my right arm to vacuum and clean the bathroom half-a$$ed, just enough to make it look nice. :) And if that's not enough for him he can do it himself!!