PDA

View Full Version : tanning

catnapper
05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I keep seeing news stories about over-tanning... that mom who is so darkly tanned that she is brown and took her daughter to the salon with her. Now I read about a clothing manufacturer coming under fire for too tan models.

I myself like being my natural pasty white self due to a huge family history of skin cancer. I simply use blush to give my face some color.

My daughter tans so much that she looks more like an Oompa Loompa than a tanned Person. She has already had suspicious marks removed at 23 years old. She also looks older because of that leathery side effect. She doesn't care about the long term effects.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of tanning now that summer is here. A little sun.... a little healthy glow is ok by me. But I have no idea why someone purposely tans. Too much danger in the future to me. Like I said, every member of my family has had skin cancer.... mant died because it metatacized (sp?)

pomtzu
05-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I used to spend hours in the sun, getting that golden glow. No more tho. #1 - I can't stand to be outside in the broiling sun like I used to - it actually makes me physically sick, and #2 - it's just not healthy the way we used to think it was. Tanning beds are a no-no too and are just as bad as the sun.

Want a tan, then use a self tanner. I use Jergens Natural Glow - gives a nice natural looking tan. Some others I've used have turned me orange, and I look like I o.d.'ed on carrots! YUK!

Karen
05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I do not tan, never have, never will. I am a pasty white person, and am content that way. Friends that loved to tan when we were teenagers now look much older than I do, and have lines and wrinkles I associate with much older people - like folks in their late seventies. Paul's family is Irish, they tend to burn just as fast and more than I do. Paul has had skin cancer removed already, his mom is still having cancerous bits removed, and his aunt died from skin cancer that became malignant.

I do not find a tan looks "healthy," - people with naturally darker skin look fine, but one can usually spot a "tanning salon" customer from across the room. It makes me wince inwardly.

Freedom
05-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I enjoy a healthy tan, bit of sun especially in Spring time! Oooooh, nice and warm, lol.

I used to have a tanning lamp in my late teens, kept my tan year round. But that fad passed, for me. I've never been to a tanning booth, though I must admit the reason is, seems claustrophobic to me. Too small!

I tried a self tanner years ago, got the orange effect, ha ha haaa

cassiesmom
05-21-2012, 05:43 PM
When I was in high school we used to put our swimsuits on, put baby oil on our skin and "lay out". I don't spend a lot of time in the sun anymore, though. I like to be outside but in the shade.

Alysser
05-21-2012, 08:19 PM
I am far from pasty white, I got Italian "olive skin" as my parents call it from my dad. I don't sit in the sun, I get way to bored, although I'll fall asleep at the beach sometimes and get really dark. Nothing major though. I usually get tan in the summer but do not sit out or attempt to attract the sun! Sometimes it'll be a sunburn that turns into tan, but nothing major.

I will never go tanning. The girls in my high school were gross looking, and maybe that sounds mean but I don't get how looking orange is better than pasty white! Not to mention in 2005 they found skin cancer on my mom who never tanned a day in her life! It was easily removed but scared me for sure, all while she was getting breast cancer treatment to! :eek:

I don't understand the fascination with tanning. I really don't get how looking leathery and orange is attractive. You can tell the difference immediately from natural tan and fake tanning. If it makes them happy, then sure, I guess that's fine but it doesn't look good at all IMO.

mrspunkysmom
05-21-2012, 08:20 PM
I keep seeing news stories about over-tanning... that mom who is so darkly tanned that she is brown and took her daughter to the salon with her. Now I read about a clothing manufacturer coming under fire for too tan models.

I myself like being my natural pasty white self due to a huge family history of skin cancer. I simply use blush to give my face some color.

My daughter tans so much that she looks more like an Oompa Loompa than a tanned Person. She has already had suspicious marks removed at 23 years old. She also looks older because of that leathery side effect. She doesn't care about the long term effects.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of tanning now that summer is here. A little sun.... a little healthy glow is ok by me. But I have no idea why someone purposely tans. Too much danger in the future to me. Like I said, every member of my family has had skin cancer.... mant died because it metatacized (sp?)

It's metastasis or metastasized. I usually only let what sun hits my arms or lower legs on me. I try not to tan deliberately since I am so fair. And I burn easily. however, the avoidance of sunlight has brought on a rise in Vitamin D Deficiency. I had to be on prescribed supplements for a while. No I am using OTC gelcaps.

I've thought about a tanning booth for a few minutes a week but on the legs only. I'll let you know how it goes.

krazyaboutkatz
05-22-2012, 12:38 AM
When I was much younger we had a community pool in my neighborhood where me and my friends would hang out pretty much every day during the summer. I would always use tanning lotion or even put some sunblock on my nose but sometimes I'd still get sunburned since I'm so fair skinned. Now I never try to tan and I haven't for years. My grandmother also had some skin cancer removed and so did my mom. I would much rather look white and have skin with less wrinkles than to be tan and have wrinkles and leathery skin.

Vette
05-22-2012, 07:21 AM
I have a pasty white completion too. luckily i live in Washington state an well... pasty white is for the most part the norm anyway LOL so its never bothered me or made me wanna go bake myself in the sun.

ive only had one sunburn an it got it on the last day of 4th grade when it was more of a treat day then actual school day. they set up water slides an allowed everyone to be outside the entire day. was the most fun school day but my shoulders felt otherwise

Taz_Zoee
05-22-2012, 09:51 AM
I never realized how white I actually was until I stopped exposing my legs to the sun about 5 years ago.
When I was a child I was always outside playing or in the pool. As I became a teenager I did the tanning bed thing for a while. As an adult I did go to the tanning bed before a wedding I was in since it was December. And I've gone to the tanning bed to get a base tan before going on vacation so I wouldn't burn and be miserable on vacay.
But since my arms and face are the only thing that sees the sun these days I also use Jergens Natural Glow on my lower legs so that I can hopefully wear capri pants here soon (I need to go buy some). A few years ago I had some light tan capri pants and my co-worker teased me and said my legs matched the pants perfectly. I stopped wearing them after that.
After high school my friends mom got a tanning bed in her old bedroom. We used that sometimes. I'm fine with tanning beds as long as you don't over do it. My friend was so dark at one point it was horrible. And she thought she was white!!! :eek: After several people telling her it was too much, she slowed down on it.

redbird
05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
When I was much younger I loved laying out at the beach and getting tanned that way. I haven't done that in years and I do not believe in those horrible tanning beds. That tanning lady you're talking about comes from right here in my state of NJ and she looks like a circus act. I would try talking to your daughter to stop the tanning especially since skin cancer runs in the family.

What I do to make my skin look tanned in the summer is I use Tan Towels which I buy from HSN. You just rub them on your arms and legs or where ever you want to look tanned. They work great and there are no after effects at all.

Karen
05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
I never realized how white I actually was until I stopped exposing my legs to the sun about 5 years ago.
When I was a child I was always outside playing or in the pool. As I became a teenager I did the tanning bed thing for a while. As an adult I did go to the tanning bed before a wedding I was in since it was December. And I've gone to the tanning bed to get a base tan before going on vacation so I wouldn't burn and be miserable on vacay.
But since my arms and face are the only thing that sees the sun these days I also use Jergens Natural Glow on my lower legs so that I can hopefully wear capri pants here soon (I need to go buy some). A few years ago I had some light tan capri pants and my co-worker teased me and said my legs matched the pants perfectly. I stopped wearing them after that.
After high school my friends mom got a tanning bed in her old bedroom. We used that sometimes. I'm fine with tanning beds as long as you don't over do it. My friend was so dark at one point it was horrible. And she thought she was white!!! :eek: After several people telling her it was too much, she slowed down on it.

Tanning beds are not "safe" in that a tan is technically skin damage, so please be careful, and memorize the warning signs of skin cancer as well, okay?

redbird
05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I am far from pasty white, I got Italian "olive skin" as my parents call it from my dad..

My mom also had that beautiful Italian olive skin but I took after my dad who was very light. I love that olive skintone, no need to tan.

Lady's Human
05-22-2012, 04:18 PM
My mom also had that beautiful Italian olive skin but I took after my dad who was very light. I love that olive skintone, no need to tan.

There's no need to tan, period.

Tanning beds, despite the hype, are hammering your skin with UV. UV is bad, mkay?

UV damages skin, tanning is the skin's attempt to prevent further damage.

My skin is white. It can darned well stay that way. Running joke with some of my friends was that if I took my shirt off I blinded people. After having a spot of skin cancer removed a couple years ago, (probably due to 3+ years in Texas and time out on the water fishing) these "safe" tanning claims get very irritating.

Taz_Zoee
05-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Tanning beds are not "safe" in that a tan is technically skin damage, so please be careful, and memorize the warning signs of skin cancer as well, okay?

Oh I don't use them anymore. I would, like I said to get a base tan, if we were going on vacation to a tropical place. But that's not happening any time soon. So no worries. :D I only use the foaming stuff like someone else mentioned......Jergens Natural Glow. And only on my legs from the knees down. Nobody sees any more of my legs than that. :p
I also don't think my friend uses them anymore either. She isn't overly tan anyway. I think she just gets sun when she is out at her kids games. She had severe burns on her face from skiing years ago, so she's always covered her face when tanning. A picture from our 20 year high school reunion shows her and another classmate. The other girl looks sooo much older than she does. So she's doing something right there. :)

sallyandsnowx
05-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm very pasty white as well. I went tanning in a tanning bed once and only once. All it did was make me look like a lobster. I never went after that, it's not all that great like everyone says it is. I just stick to laying out in my backyard to get a little color. :p

david p
05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't believe in tanning beds. I used to get my tans the natural way. I'm half Italian so I get I my coloring from my dad, and 38 summers of mowing grass on a golf course helped keep me brown. I guess I was lucky I didn't get skin cancer.

Karen
05-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I guess I was lucky I didn't get skin cancer.

You likely owe it more to genetics than luck, David! Those italian genes have served you well in that regard! :)

pomtzu
05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
You likely owe it more to genetics than luck, David! Those italian genes have served you well in that regard! :)

LOL - but that doesn't always work that way. My dad was full blooded Italian, thus making me and my sibs half the same. My older brother has had skin cancers removed from his back, as did Dad. But they both spent a lot of time outside - shirtless - working in the sun in the yard, as well as spending a LOT of time on the ocean in their boats. And my brother lived in FL too, where the rays are much stronger than around this area. I tan very easy, but still choose not to bake myself anymore, and get a nice tan (except for my legs :() just being outside with the pups a few times each day.

Asiel
05-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I've always been an outdoor person and would get a tan regardless, and I did stretch out in the sun with baby oil slathered on. I think it was a phase people were going through at the time. I started reading so much about skin cancer that I stopped the tanning but spending hours in the sun every day I would tan anyway. I've never had a burn though although I am as fair skinned as can be and blond. After realizing the dangers of too much sun I tried to avoid long exposures. Today I can't go in the sun even 5 minutes without getting too weak to move.
Just this year our city has banned tanning salons for any person under the age of 18, I thought it was a great move as most teens don't give skin cancer a second thought. I would never use those tanning beds myself but have friends who go every week in winter before they leave for warmer destinations. I do know a few who have had suspicious moles and lesions removed but they still tan and use tanning beds...
Glad I stopped getting all that sun yrs ago, who knows how things could have turned out.

david p
05-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Would sweating a lot prevent skin cancer? I used to sweat a ton mowing all of that grass and I wonder if a coating of sweat might have prevented it?

Karen
05-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Would sweating a lot prevent skin cancer? I used to sweat a ton mowing all of that grass and I wonder if a coating of sweat might have prevented it?

Hee hee - dunno about that, but I know that olive-skinned people are less likely to get it than we pasty white folks, but there are myriad factors involved. I'm just one of those people whose general description matches the list on all those posters:

fairskinned? - check
blonde or red hair as a child? - check
pale or blue eyes? - check
burn easily? - check
freckles? - check
Frequent sunburns as a child? - check - despite the best efforts of parents and sunscreen!

And Paul, despite having dark hair, matches all the rest of these, plus has a history of skin cancer in the family.

david p
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Hee hee - dunno about that, but I know that olive-skinned people are less likely to get it than we pasty white folks, but there are myriad factors involved. I'm just one of those people whose general description matches the list on all those posters:

fairskinned? - check
blonde or red hair as a child? - check
pale or blue eyes? - check
burn easily? - check
freckles? - check
Frequent sunburns as a child? - check - despite the best efforts of parents and sunscreen!

And Paul, despite having dark hair, matches all the rest of these, plus has a history of skin cancer in the family.

Guess what, Karen. When I was a kid, I was blonde which turned dark brown, (now grey!)

Karen
05-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Guess what, Karen. When I was a kid, I was blonde which turned dark brown, (now grey!)

Yes, but you got your Dad's olive skin tone - which counts a LOT, apparently! :)

My hair is what we call jokingly "the transmogrifying Peterson hair" - When I was little I had blonde curls, bright strawberryish blonde, big curls, Between Christmas and Easter when I was four, it not only turned darker - brown, to be precise, it went straight. It stayed straight for a long time, but would always get reddish or blonde streaks in the summer, and by the end of summer the ends of my hair were pretty light, especially compared to the color it was when it started out! Then it got to be kind of wavy, and now, after years, it is fairly curly if I don't blow it dry. It still gets streaks, if I am out in the sun much. My nieces have been warned this could, indeed, happen to them! Niece #3 actually straightens her hair at the present time - trying to delay the inevitable I guess!

Miss Z
05-30-2012, 06:26 AM
I am a fan of sunbathing, and only ever in the sun. I've never been on a sunbed (by which I mean a tanning booth, as I think you guys across the pond call them :)), and I never use fake tan. I hate the streaky effect and the smell of those products. I suppose can't shake off the memories of the girls in my teenage days who looked like they bathed in Tango every morning, either!

I don't believe that I have any lineage that would lend me 'olive skin', but I don't usually burn and go brown quite quickly. I of course still use high factor suncream and moisturise my skin when I come out of the sun. I definitely don't want to end up like a leather satchel!

I actually find that I work very well when out in the sun, and by work I mean revision, going over notes, writing essays, etc. Last year in April, the weather was glorious here, and I spent all my time in the garden sat in my sun-lounger revising for my exams, and got so much done. The weather wasn't so kind this year, and I found it a lot harder to keep the concentration up. The sun has only recently showed its face over here, and I spent the weekend out in a quiet corner of Hyde Park writing my 2nd year lab report. Again, got way more done than I ever would sat at my laptop in my room. Perhaps I am just more relaxed and motivated when outdoors in the warmth, and less prone to distraction.

Perhaps it is partly a British thing, too. The high sun is a fickle friend over here. As quickly as he comes, he's gone, so I suppose we take full advantage in that short space of time!

carole
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I am another pasty white person (i am scottish after all) got the freckles, so i don't look that white, and i do not care, that is what i was born with and i am happy to stay that way, sure a tan looks healthy, but we all know in general it is not.

We in NZ have one of the harshest suns in the world, and even though i have kept out of it, i see my aunts and uncle when they come over from scotland who are older than myself and they have hardly a wrinkle, so everyone should remember getting a tan is just skin damage and it does age you prematurely.,and it does not matter what type of skin you have you are still damaging your skin. I know had i remained in Scotland i too would have that beautiful lily white skin,however i do know a lot of Brits go to spain and get tanned these days.Personally there is nothing more beautiful to me than a peaches and cream complexion.

When i was younger i tried to get a bit of tan, but only resulted in freckles, so i gave up, maybe just as well, they seem to fade with age, then you get other ones like on your hands and age spots which i detest, and can do nothing about,despite staying out of the sun, GRRR...

Trouble is because i am so scared of getting skin cancer i now have to take vitamin D every month, due to the fact i do not spend much time outside,catch 22 really.

Jessika
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't go out of my way to tan. But I am sure rocking a nice combination of a farmer's tan/driver's arm since my AC doesn't work in my car... I've been wearing sunscreen on just my left arm to try to not look so off balance...

As for my legs and the rest of my skin... I've always been a pretty pale person... I will burn, then MAYBE have a SLIGHT tan left behind... my sisters and I are all that way, always have been, except as kids when you live outdoors during summer vacations. I think the only time I tanned is on a Hawaiian cruise when we cruised down to Fanning Island... not very far from the equator. ><

catnapper
05-31-2012, 09:43 AM
I was ssssoooooooo peeved this morning. I am taking Cameron to Hershey Park for his birthday on the 11th. I was showing him the rides he's tall enough to go on this year. He can't wait for all the roller coasters.

Anyway, I also told him how we'll need to be prepared with waterproof sunscreen. His answer? Mommy said I won't burn and don't need sunscreen because I need a tan. OMG..... can I kill the idiot he has for a mommy? I ranted about how mommy can tan because she is an adult but she should never make that choice for a child. I told him cancer is serious and if she wants skin cancer she can continue to tan..... but there is no way she should make the choice to tan foy a child! He knew grandmom was livid.

Freckles
05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
No suncreen?
No Hershey Park.

Karen
05-31-2012, 11:06 AM
I was ssssoooooooo peeved this morning. I am taking Cameron to Hershey Park for his birthday on the 11th. I was showing him the rides he's tall enough to go on this year. He can't wait for all the roller coasters.

Anyway, I also told him how we'll need to be prepared with waterproof sunscreen. His answer? Mommy said I won't burn and don't need sunscreen because I need a tan. OMG..... can I kill the idiot he has for a mommy? I ranted about how mommy can tan because she is an adult but she should never make that choice for a child. I told him cancer is serious and if she wants skin cancer she can continue to tan..... but there is no way she should make the choice to tan foy a child! He knew grandmom was livid.

You could, if it comes up again, say "Sun screen isn't going to keep you from getting a tan at all, it just slows it down so you do not burn," as cancer is kinda hard for a child his age to understand. Sunburns HURT. That, a kid can understand!

catnapper
05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
No suncreen?
No Hershey Park.

Grandmom's comment, word for word. I told him even though mommy doesn't care about skin cancer, I do. I ranted a few minutes about her smoking and lung cancer too for good measure. :o

catnapper
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
You could, if it comes up again, say "Sun screen isn't going to keep you from getting a tan at all, it just slows it down so you do not burn," as cancer is kinda hard for a child his age to understand. Sunburns HURT. That, a kid can understand!

He knows all about cancer because a couple family members passed away and he saw both mommy and her boyfriend already had "suspricous marks" removed already. He knows cancer is scary and makes a person very, very sick. He knows you can die from cancer.

I am still SO MAD at her. How dumb can a person be? Funny thing, she NOT dumb. She's just clueless and tries to bend the world to her will.