PDA

View Full Version : Is it true? Ethnic stereotypes and reality

Karen
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Often ads claim certain things are true, and this question is for Richard, and any other Mexican-Americans:

"Are tamales REALLY "a sign of celebration at holiday gatherings in Mexican homes on both wides of the border" ?

What ethnic stereotypes do you wonder about?

For my part, I can assure people that yes, Swedes do regard coffee as necessary for life. I friend of mine had the telling experience of lecturing over in Sweden, she's part Swede like myself. The lecture was supposed to start at 9, but for various reasons, including technical issues with the equipment, the talk didn't start until after 9:30. She knew there was a scheduled break at ten, but figured she could push it back because of the late start, but by 10:06, people were fidgeting and by 10:10 she gave up - she said it was like a whole room of tall adult Swedes fidgeting like little kindergarteners, shifting it their seats, looking at watches, and just plain being restless! They all made a beeline for the coffee as soon as she released them, like life depended on it!

Freedom
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
"I'm not shouting, I'm Sicilian, that's how we talk!" - yes, it is true. We get excited and shout about EVERYTHING, even the weather. ;)

RICHARD
05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Tamales are a traditional food on both sides of the border.

And I guess they are more apt to be served (homemade ones, at least) during celebrations/holidays. Because they are so labor intensive, it's usually better done when you have a small army/family to put them together.

Making tamales can be a two day project and making one or two dozens is kinda silly.

I have seen some 'tamale parties' where 8-10 dozen tamales are made.

People want to take some home, some get lost in the 'taste testing' mode too.

---------------

Menudo (pepper pot soup) and Pozole are two less labor intensive holiday foods.

Menudo is made from tripe and pozole (poh-zoh-lay) is made from beef spine.

Great stuff, I do buy a can of menudo, but would love a bowl of homemade!:)

pomtzu
05-17-2012, 04:41 PM
"I'm not shouting, I'm Sicilian, that's how we talk!" - yes, it is true. We get excited and shout about EVERYTHING, even the weather. ;)

And if we sit on our hands, we find it difficult to express ourselves too! Right?

Karen
05-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Didn't know tamales were so labor-intensive! That would explain the "holiday" - a.k.a. spare bodies around to help - tradition! Thanks!

cassiesmom
05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm 1/4 Russian and I like vodka, preferably in a screwdriver (good ingredients, please). I'm also 1/4 Polish and I like all those heavy, hearty Eastern European foods- stuffed cabbage leaves, pierogi, dumplings, cauliflower, sauerkraut, and more.

My family jokes that we're "Hispanic by neighborhood" -- as the neighborhood around my mom and dad's house gradually becomes more and more Hispanic, mostly Mexican. I love Mexican food! The Mexican families who live in the neighborhood seem to put high priority on family, education, and church. There are a lot of Hispanic names on the school honor roll lists in the paper, and the newspaper had pictures of tons of cute children dressed up for their First Communion services. That's something I think they have in common with the Eastern European families who lived in the neighborhood when I was growing up.

Freedom
05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
And if we sit on our hands, we find it difficult to express ourselves too! Right?

LOL oh yes very true!