PDA

View Full Version : Counterpoint: Excellent kitchen gadgets

Lady's Human
05-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Ceramic knives.

Didn't trust them, especially the $1.99 ones, but they cut wonderfully. One piece of advice, don't drop them, they will shatter, and you will spend hours picking up pieces. :p

Kitchamajig.

It's a slotted spoon that works wonders as a tool to use when deep frying, skimming, straining, just a handy gadget to have around. It's much larger than a normal slotted spoon, which helps.

cassiesmom
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
My sister-in-law has an immersion blender. She got it for Christmas and I really couldn't see the function of it, but it does a lot of little jobs she would otherwise pull the blender out for. It also makes terrifically frothed milk for coffee!

My mom bought an expensive slicer for hard-boiled eggs at Bloomingdale's. It works great and even makes thin slices of strawberries.

I have one of these that I love. I use it to transfer hard-boiled eggs one at a time from the pot of hot water to the bowl of ice water, and to transfer cooked pasta from the boiling water to the colander instead of dumping the water and pasta into the colander over the sink.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4963775861686302&id=b6598ad3e458ad10abee8823f15dec19&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cooksmith.co.uk%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2010%2f08%2fpasta-lifter.jpg

And a spatula with a curve, sort of part spoon-part spatula! Love that thing!

pomtzu
05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
I love my egg slicer too. Great for hard boiled eggs, strawberries, mushrooms. Mine's a cheapy from Walmart, but they last forever. This is only the 3rd one I've had to buy in about 50 years!

My spoonula - the spatula/spoon silicone scraper gadget.

Melon ball scoop. I use it for cookie dough so all my cookies turn out the same size.

Universal pan lid, so I don't have to go hunting thru a bunch of different size lids to find the right one for the pot I'm using.

Karen
05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
We grew up with a Kitchamajig - woe be unto thee who lost Ma's Kitchamajig! It has a long-enough handle so even the vertically challenged can use it to good effect! Glad they still make them - which is more than I bet you'll be able to say about the stuff in the other thread!

smokey the elder
05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Garlic press!! We broke so many plastic ones I got a heavy-duty stainless steel one. I need to get an immersion blender, or what Emeril calls a "boat motor" one of these days.

cassiesmom
05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
My mom bought an expensive slicer for hard-boiled eggs at Bloomingdale's. It works great and even makes thin slices of strawberries.

Edited to add: I have her old egg slicer. It doesn't cut cleanly through the yolk, so I end up more with hunks of egg than thin slices. The one from Bloomie's makes nice even slices that look great in the finished dish. My dad tried it with a small section of mango and it did the job.

pomtzu
05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Edited to add: I have her old egg slicer. It doesn't cut cleanly through the yolk, so I end up more with hunks of egg than thin slices. The one from Bloomie's makes nice even slices that look great in the finished dish. My dad tried it with a small section of mango and it did the job.

Okay Elyse - break down and part with a few bucks and get one at Walmart. :D Mine works great - nice sharp wires I guess. Maybe the wires on your Mom's old one have gotten dull over time, but I never had that problem. The reason I got a new one is that a couple of wires popped loose on the old one, and the one before that, a section of the plastic broke. But they really are very long lived!

Cataholic
05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Garlic press!! We broke so many plastic ones I got a heavy-duty stainless steel one. I need to get an immersion blender, or what Emeril calls a "boat motor" one of these days.

I flipping LOVE my immersion blender! And, I also have the stainless garlic press, which I use all the time, too.

I just broke down and got....wait for it....wait for it...

A MAGIC BULLET!!!!! I don't know what I had been thinking all these years ago, when I first saw it. That thing is AWESOME! Smoothies! Herbs! Guac! I can't wait to make frothy adult drinks this summer!!!!

Taz_Zoee
05-17-2012, 12:32 PM
We love our garlic press, our egg slicer and Bruce's mom sometimes gets silly things for the boys as gifts. One time she got us a hamburger press. We use that thing ALL the time. Usually once a week we have turkey burgers and it is great for making the patties. If it ever breaks I will have to find another one.

We also love our cuisinart. He uses that to chop up the onions for the turkey burgers. We had a small one but it was slowly dying. So I bought a larger one at Costco while I was up in Oregon for my sisters wedding a few weeks ago. :)

Karen
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
MAGIC BULLET!!!!! I don't know what I had been thinking all these years ago, when I first saw it. That thing is AWESOME! Smoothies! Herbs! Guac! I can't wait to make frothy adult drinks this summer!!!!

What is it? A fancy blender? I iz confuzed!

cassiesmom
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
What's old is new again. We had a set of these when I was little and I see that the Pampered Chef is carrying them -- I laughed right out loud when I saw these!

http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=18701&catId=180&parentCatId=180&outletSubCat=

Cataholic
05-17-2012, 05:51 PM
A magic bullet is a very powerful, upside down, blender...I suppose. Though, I do have a blender and I have never liked it like I like the Magic Bullet. The brains in the Magic Bullet is that the lid is screwed onto the top of a container, you flip it upside down and then put it on the blender...so it all falls to the bottom. You can shake it while it is blending...so that the stuff gets blended well, you can serve your drink in the container you make it in (we like that idea).

I would post the link but have yet to do it correctly in 12 years I have been on here. LOL

pomtzu
05-17-2012, 06:19 PM
A magic bullet is a very powerful, upside down, blender...I suppose. Though, I do have a blender and I have never liked it like I like the Magic Bullet. The brains in the Magic Bullet is that the lid is screwed onto the top of a container, you flip it upside down and then put it on the blender...so it all falls to the bottom. You can shake it while it is blending...so that the stuff gets blended well, you can serve your drink in the container you make it in (we like that idea).

I would post the link but have yet to do it correctly in 12 years I have been on here. LOL

Here ya go............
http://buythebullet.com