PDA

View Full Version : Pointless Kitchen Gadgets

Karen
05-16-2012, 02:59 PM
I often get emails - some spam - some from Cooking.com - that include "new" kitchen gadgets or implements I find completely unnecessary. Yesterday's email included a "must-have" "Grill companion set" which included two bins - one marked "raw" and one marked "cooked" - Um, folks, if you cannot tell the difference between a cooked item and a raw one, you probably should not be grilling in the first place! Hello? It also included a lid for the bin, and a "tool caddy" - do they seriously expect people to pay money for this? Hello?

I remember there was an old thread about "eggies" so one could hard-boil eggs that would have a flat bottom - like a paring knife after cooking wouldn't accomplish the same thing?

What have you seen that inspired eye-rolling bemusement?

moosmom
05-16-2012, 03:07 PM
I laughed when I read this thread, Karen. But I gotta tell ya, I'm sure who invented these gadgets is laughing all the way to the bank.

I see plastic hamburg makers in the stores. My Mom used an aluminum can and wax paper to make perfectly formed hamburgers, LOOOONG before this gadget was even thought of!!!

Spoolies. Remember those??? Well, before these were even invented, my Mom used to set my hair in strips of cotton rags.

Geez, if only...:rolleyes:

pomtzu
05-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Karen - maybe the "raw and cooked" is so that you don't put the cooked items back in the bin that held the raw meat - since there is so much hoopla about the risks of the bacterias that are in raw meat. Just like they say to use a separate cutting board for meats. Just a guess, and the only reasonable idea I can think of behind it.
I still wouldn't buy it tho..........

happylabs
05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
LOL! I can't think of any right now Karen but this made me laugh. :p

cassiesmom
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I saw these at the supermarket on a display next to the bananas and I just started laughing! Just eat the whole nanner for crying out loud!

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/nana-saver.aspx

And Moosmom, a plastic burger shaper is ideal for OCD types like me who have to have them all the same size ;) (seriously- my mom has one and if I don't use it, the burgers turn out more like semi-flat meatballs)

pomtzu
05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
How about that gadget that you put in a pot and it "walks" around the pot and stirs what ever it is that you are cooking, so that you don't have to stand and stir it. Talk about the height of laziness!!! And from what I've seen and read about it - it doesn't even work - except for something that's the consistency of water. I think this one wins the top booby prize in my book.

Killearn Kitties
05-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Oh you are pushing an open door here Karen. Kitchen gadgets drive me insane! As far as I am concerned, the only necessary kitchen "gadget" is a sharp knife.

My mother is an absolute sucker for advertising. She watches an advert for some useless junk and thinks she has to have it! She uses it once then tries to palm it off on me because she has just discovered it serves no purpose. Drives me insane.

Edwina's Secretary
05-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I would never buy something off the T.V. or an unsolicited email but...I have some gadgets that I like - the ones that come to mind all seem to have to do with corn.

For example....I have a devise for taking the kernels off the cob. I could use a knife but I find I cut myself less and make less of a mess using this gadget.

A non-corn is a garlic peeler (RIP) I loved my garlic peeler. It peeled perfectly every time! Sadly, it was plastic and I have now broken two of them.

Perhaps I am just a less skilled person in the kitchen and therefore need my toys!

Killearn Kitties
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I have a devise for taking the kernels off the cob. I could use a knife but I find I cut myself less and make less of a mess using this gadget.

I have seen your fabulous corn tool and it is not a gadget, it is a useful tool!

Karen
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
And Moosmom, a plastic burger shaper is ideal for OCD types like me who have to have them all the same size ;) (seriously- my mom has one and if I don't use it, the burgers turn out more like semi-flat meatballs)

Did you every try just using a plastic or metal measuring cup (like a 1/2 cup on you'd use for flour for example) shape it with that then squash it with a mug, spatula, or similar flat-bottomed wide anything? Just as good results - at least back when I could eat beef!

Edwina's Secretary
05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I have seen your fabulous corn tool and it is not a gadget, it is a useful tool!

So perhaps my corn tool could be moved from pointless? :p;)

Cataholic
05-16-2012, 07:26 PM
ES- that sounds like something I could use! I love kitchen gadgets!

Edwina's Secretary
05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
ES- that sounds like something I could use! I love kitchen gadgets!

For you Jo!
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/EdwinaandEddie/corncutter.jpg

Karen
05-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Does that adjust to the width of each ear? Just curious!

caseysmom
05-16-2012, 11:06 PM
That is something I could use to whenever I bbq corn I cut off the kernels to make it easier to eat...

Cataholic
05-17-2012, 09:03 AM
WAH!!!! I WANT that thingy! I am hoping our Sur La Table has it...just in time for corn season, too. Thanks ES!

pomtzu
05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
WAH!!!! I WANT that thingy! I am hoping our Sur La Table has it...just in time for corn season, too. Thanks ES!

Wimp!!! :p Half the fun of eating corn on the cob is getting it stuck between your teeth, and having the butter run down your chin. :cool::D

Barbara
05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
I think this thread proves it: we don't need kitchen gadgets but there are some we love.
I have a very useful thingie that helps open jars- it just lets a tiny bit of air under the lid and then you can unscrew it.
On the other hand I remember the potato peeling machine my dad brought home when I was a kid. It made my granny and my mom laugh- but he was a little bit miffed that they downright refused to use it ;)

And BTW Killearn Karen: who was it that bought a silicon spoon in the shape of an electric guitar last time we went to Glasgow?:p

Randi
05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
KK, although I agree with you mostly, my mom was the same, she saw something being demonstrated in or outside a shop, and she had to have it! I have most of the things now that she bought, some are really useful, like a little thingy that you put your unboiled egg into, push, and it makes a hole. That prevents the egg from cracking when you boil it. Another thing I really like, is a round metal thing you put on the gas and then you put the pot of rice you're boiling on that. It distributes the heat better and you avoid the rice - or whatever, from burning.

At a Tubberware party many years ago, I bought this little "spoon" with a hole in it you use to sink an egg into boiling water. I find that quite useful.

Concerning corn, if I eat it as a sidedish, I buy frozen corn, and otherwise, I peel the leaves off the corn and eat it smeared with butter on.

Barbara, I have one of those, too (from my mom) and it's really helpful!

Oh, my sister and BIL bought one of those potato peelers, too. That was back in the early 70tees. I've never seen then use it since.

Also, I never understood why people buy potato mash in a packet... eww! If you have a proper potato masher, it takes one minute to mash your potatoes, and you get to eat fresh potatoes!

pomtzu
05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Hey - those potato peeling machines aren't too bad. I don't have one, but they can be pretty handy if you have arthritis or some other issues with your hands like I do. They can be used for peeling apples too, even tho they have separate ones that are sold as apple peelers. Really the same thing. Every year during apple season you see them in the stores here, and I keep saying I'm going to get one, but never do.

Edwina's Secretary
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Wimp!!! :p Half the fun of eating corn on the cob is getting it stuck between your teeth, and having the butter run down your chin. :cool::D

I make corn salsa, corn pudding, corn souffle, corn casserole, and corn soup. (I love corn!) I find those doggone cobs get in the way and it is better to take the kernels off!:p:p;)

p.s. I also bought one for my mom who loves corn on the cob but worries about taking out one of her 88 year old teeth.

Cataholic - I got mine at the county fair!

Randi
05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
ES, I never got that recipe of corn you made for our Christmas dinner - the one that was baked in the oven. It was delicious. :)

Taz_Zoee
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Oh my, I responded to the counterpart thread before looking at this one. The hamburger press is a useful item in my house.
I can't think of any pointless ones ATM, but there are plenty out there. Sometimes I see commercials and I just laugh!

gini
05-17-2012, 03:44 PM
I grew up with one of these. My aunt could not eat corn right off the cob, so my Uncle would use this tool so she could enjoy the freshly prepared corn. It isn't pointless for sure.

RICHARD
05-17-2012, 04:20 PM
My best friend, who was given the name "Mrs. Gadget" because she sold Pampered Chef stuff, sold some pretty nifty kitchen tools.

I drew the line at the bamboo tongs to pull toast out of the toaster.

It's more fun to tempt fate and a possible electrocution.

---------------

Last night I grilled and reached down to move a bamboo skewer on the top of the BBQ.

I burned my finger and began to think of a tool that one could use to move bamboo/metal skewers around on a grill.

;)

-----------

I did have an idea about a little robot that you could turn loose on a floor and it would sweep an area for you......But, who would buy something like that?:D

Karen
05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I did have an idea about a little robot that you could turn loose on a floor and it would sweep an area for you......But, who would buy something like that?:D

Anyone who bought a Roomba - it vacuums instead of sweeps ... but similar!

pomtzu
05-17-2012, 05:18 PM
---------------

Last night I grilled and reached down to move a bamboo skewer on the top of the BBQ.

I burned my finger and began to think of a tool that one could use to move bamboo/metal skewers around on a grill.

Here's a novel idea --- try BBQ gloves, or tongs! I've heard that either works well. :p:D

smokey the elder
05-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Ah, yes. Roomba vacuums, aka "drivethecatnutz" tool. :D

Killearn Kitties
05-18-2012, 11:50 AM
And BTW Killearn Karen: who was it that bought a silicon spoon in the shape of an electric guitar last time we went to Glasgow?:p
:D You may remember that I bought that as a present for Alec. He hasn't touched it and I have now used it 4 times. Can you tell I'm counting??? Anyway, so far as I remember Barbara, I think we agreed that silicone is a highly useful material for kitchen utensils.

Barbara
05-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Obviously Alec does not cook enough;)

And one of the all time best kitchen gadgets are the poached egg silicon thingies I bought in Scotland-Germany is not yet ready for them ;)

RICHARD
05-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Here's a novel idea --- try BBQ gloves, or tongs! I've heard that either works well. :p:D

A glove yes, a tong, no!

I'd burn my mustache off.:eek:

pomtzu
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
A glove yes, a tong, no!

I'd burn my mustache off.:eek:

LOL - I didn't say "thong"! :eek:

gini
05-19-2012, 12:11 AM
My best friend, who was given the name "Mrs. Gadget" because she sold Pampered Chef stuff, sold some pretty nifty kitchen tools.

I drew the line at the bamboo tongs to pull toast out of the toaster.

It's more fun to tempt fate and a possible electrocution.

---------------

;)

-----------

:oAnd you think that I don't see these little comments don't you Richard?:o

RICHARD
05-19-2012, 06:31 AM
:love:
:oAnd you think that I don't see these little comments don't you Richard?:o

Testing, testing, 1,2,3....Is this thing on?:confused::love::love::love: