PDA

View Full Version : The mmmrrr-Sound

Kirsten
05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Isn't it just the cutest sound in their language? :love: I just love it when they do that, like my Lily when she's greeting me by saying that.
Or, when you approach them while they're resting (which I know you shouldn't do, but sometimes I just can't help it :o), they'd sound like "mmmrrr?", like a question? I wonder what that means in our language! (most likely something like "Can't you just leave me alone, mom?") :)

happylabs
05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I know, I love that sound! And, it does sound like a question they way it comes out. Love my kitties!

Bengalz
05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Cats have such a varied vocabulary - I am always amazed at the nuances that Eve exchanges with me when we "chat":D. Her "mrrr" sound is usually an answer to a question I might ask her:) - "mrrr" usually means "yes":rolleyes: - she has a completely different sound for "no" - hard to describe but it is sassy:p :D.

Another sound I love is "mrrrp" - it's a happy sound:D.

Catty1
05-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Apparently that is a greeting - the mrrrp with the rising note at the end. It can also mean "you are pretty". I try that on my cats and get the sweet blinking eyes, which is apparently the human equivalent of blowing kisses! :D

Zoe makes a sound that I can only describe as "meep". It is quite soft but clear. One of her nicknames is now "Meeper". :):love:

cassiesmom
05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Sometimes I get an emphatic "Mrrrr!" Like, "Stop what you're doing, human, and pay attention to meeeeeeee!" But yes, most of the time "Mrrr" is a happy sound from Cassie :love:

momcat
05-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Kirsten,
It's great to hear from you again! I definitely agree, I love when Groucho makes the mmmrrr sound. When I get in from work, we sit together and talk about what he did all day. He has quite a variety of sounds and each one is great. While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.

Sending lots of lovies to Luna and Lily :love: :love: :love: :love:

Scooter's Mom
05-13-2012, 11:13 PM
I agree. I love that sound, too!

catmandu
05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I hear that soothing sound from the Empress Josephine :love::love: all the time and it makes us both happy:D:D

Kirsten
05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Oh yes, I'm sure everyone's translation is right and it's a greeting sound, a happy sound... However, the one that sounds like a question always make me think it's the feline way of asking "what's up?", or something like that.

Candace, yes, I know what you mean re. blinking being the feline version of blowing kisses. I read somewhere it's their smile. My girls love doing that, it makes them happy when I'm blinking at them, and they would blink/smile back. It's very sweet actually. :love:

Catty1
05-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Apropos of this, one of Oscar's nicknames is "Muttering Boy". He rarely actually MEOWS. :D

momoffuzzyfaces
05-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Maybe it's because he is in trouble a lot but sometimes when I say Chip, I get a sound like what? out of him. :D:love:

Taz_Zoee
05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
I can tell what Jax is doing by his meow (or sounds). I can tell he is chasing a bug, or wants in the closet, or wants me to turn on the water in the sink.

Kirsten
05-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Hi Kirsten,
While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.
:

Oh, yes, I often wonder about that, too! I would LOVE to know what they are thinking! :love:

smokey the elder
05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Diamond makes that "mrrp?" sound; and yes, it is a question! :D Spike meow sounds almost like "Hello"!

cassiesmom
11-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Bringing this old thread up because I just heard another sound from Cassie that I love. When she hops up on the bed, she lets me know she is there: "Mm-ROUT!" Which is different from the loud ""Wake up! I'm hungry! Feed me!" meow.

cassiesmom
01-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Bumping this old thread up again because Cassie just made the mmmrrr-sound and it reminded me of Luna, Lily and Kirsten! I was in the kitchen and I thought she was not. When I turned the faucet off, she gave me a gentle little "mmmrrr" -- "Here I am! I heard the refrigerator door open. I would like some of whatever you're having." I love that sound!

Karen
01-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Awww, how sweet! Someone will have to get a recording of this some day, so those of us who cannot have kitties in our homes can hear it!