PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Chestnut, please

Freedom
05-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Chestnut went to the vet this morning. Bad news. :(

His spine is protruding, he seems to have lost balance, he doesn't focus well, his left eye is glassy looking, and walking across the kitchen this morning he had to lie down 3 times. He had me up most of the night, crying. I'd go check on him, he was on a recliner, no other cats bothering him. He is not dehydrated.

Info from the exam: He has lost 1 pound in a year. BUT the vet says his abdomen is large, either a mass, or an enlarged liver. She suspects cancer. His gums are almost white so he is very anemic, and she does not expect him to make it through the weekend. We did blood work, will have the results Monday afternoon. We have started antibiotic (Clavamox) and Pet-Tinct which is an iron supplement for cats along with other vitamins. The blood work will eliminate anything other than cancer. Unfortunately, in doing the blood draw Chestnut scratched someone in the back room, so if he passes in the next 10 days, he will have be turned over to the state for a rabies exam. :(

We sure could use some PT prayers; I don't want him to suffer, but now having him pass quickly is going to be bad too.

Chestnut came to me as a foundling, about 6 weeks old, weighing one pound, and very ill, on Aug 2, 1998.

Here are pics from this morning:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2012/May%2012%202012%20Chestnut%20Bobby%20%20Tuppy/IMG_5034Small.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2012/May%2012%202012%20Chestnut%20Bobby%20%20Tuppy/IMG_5035Small.jpg

Taz_Zoee
05-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Oh my gosh, I am in tears. :( You and your crew have been through so much lately. I will keep Chestnut in my thoughts.

Big hugs to you Sandie, and your dad.

mon
05-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Sending all our prayers to wonderful chestnut and family, peace and love :love:

phesina
05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
All our prayers and love and healing energies and warm wishes are being sent for dearest Chestnut and also for all his family who love him so very much.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Bengalz
05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Poor dear Chestnut - this is so not fair:(. Such a difficult time and decision to make for your baby boy. My thoughts are with you both - cherish each precious moment and please take care:love:.

Felicia's Mom
05-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I am sorry to hear this. Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts to you and Chestnut.:love:

pomtzu
05-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Sandie - I'm so very sorry to read about Chestnut's problem - and you have been thru way too much lately with your furkids too. I know that you are a strong person, but enough is enough.

When Myndi was so severely anemic from that GI bleed, it was questionable if she would pull thru. She was even too weak to bark, but within a week, she was well on her way back to normal. That was 2 years ago! Hopefully Chestnut will have a success story too.

Sending prayers for Chestnut and you - and all of the household. :love:

Freedom
05-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm just numb at this point . . . . .

cassiesmom
05-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Big prayers for Chestnut from here too!

Scooter's Mom
05-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Sandie, all I can do is pray. This is the hard part with loving the little four legged family members.
Many prayers coming your way. ((Hugs))

momoffuzzyfaces
05-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Prayers on the way for you both. :love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Sandie, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that he bounces back and that his blood work results are all within the normal range. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both of you. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Grace
05-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Really sorry to read about Chestnut - he's such a fine looking cat :love: Prayers from here to there.

Catty1
05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Prayers for Chestnut. I hope the Clavamox and iron supplement at least helps him feel a little better. Hugs to you and your precious boy. :love::love::love:

Edwina's Secretary
05-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Chestnut! Snap out of it!!

Barbara
05-13-2012, 02:58 AM
I am so sorry:( And it reminds me of Tigris:(
Sending all my best thoughts.

moosmom
05-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Chestnut is definitely in my thoughts and prayers. He may be telling you something, Sandie. :(

Love and hugs from

Everyone here in CT:love::love:

mrspunkysmom
05-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Prayers for Chestnut and your family. :love:

Freedom
05-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Thank you for the postings. Chestnut made it through the night. I hope - and pray - he is not suffering; he is clearly not a happy cat and not feeling well at all. Don't know how I am going to get him to survive 9 more days.

I alternate being teary, and angry at the vet staff for having let him scratch someone so I am now facing this potential horror if he passes in less than the 10 days.

pomtzu
05-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm confused!!! :rolleyes: If he is an inside only cat, how is it possible that he could potentially have rabies? How or what could he have come in contact with in the first place, to get it. Doesn't make sense to me.

Catty1
05-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Come on, baby Chestnut. One day at a time, stay with your mom as long as you can. If you have to go to the Bridge, then she can at least have a special place at home for you.

Hugs! I pray he rallies a bit, if only to feel more comfortable.

Might the vet allow a bit of prednisone to take down the swelling and perhaps boost his appetite?

Prayers and good thoughts for Chestnut.:love::love:

Freedom
05-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Candace, we are waiting for the lab report on the blood work before adding a steroid or anything else med wise. If it is this, prednisone would help; if it is that, it wouldn't help. Can't remember what all the possibilities are just now.

Ellie, I do understand that vets can't take the risk of an owner 'saying' a pet is indoor only, when in fact is in and out, or escaped recently. I do NOT understand why this is an issue when his vaccine is up to date and has been all his 14 years. Same vet, seen him since I got him as a one pound baby, never been a gap in his rabies coverage.

Randi
05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh Sandie, I'm so very sorry to hear about Chestnut's problems. :( It's just not fair... you have been through so much lately. I so hope he will pull through this.

I'm sending lots of positive thoughts to Chestnut and to you. :love: :love:

(((hugs)))

fritz03
05-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Thinking of you Sandie,you have been through enough with Sugar and Marlin now Chestnut,you hang in there.

katladyd
05-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I am sending up good thoughts for both Chestnut and your family.:love: You have been through so much lately, life just isn't fair sometimes!!

Kirsten
05-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Breaks my heart! It's true, life can be so unfair sometimes! I will keep you and Chestnut in my thoughts! ((HUGS))

momcat
05-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Please know that many prayers are being prayed for Chestnut and [[[[[HUGS]]]]] are being sent for you. :love:

Lilith Cherry
05-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Lots of prayers, healing thoughts and love to all of you Sandie:love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Ellie, I do understand that vets can't take the risk of an owner 'saying' a pet is indoor only, when in fact is in and out, or escaped recently. I do NOT understand why this is an issue when his vaccine is up to date and has been all his 14 years. Same vet, seen him since I got him as a one pound baby, never been a gap in his rabies coverage.

I don't understand your vets way of thinking in this case either.:confused: What good is it to keep your cats vaccines up to date if they may then have to undergo a rabies exam if they scratch or bite someone. I know that when my RB Starr bit me, he was also up to date on his rabies shot. I did go to the doctor and I was put on antibiotics. I explained to the doctor that he was current with all of his vaccines. She just told me to call my vet to explain what happened just in case this had to be reported. My vets assured me that everything would be fine and it was because nothing was reported.

Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both of you. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

pomtzu
05-14-2012, 06:19 AM

Well now I'm even more confused!!! If Chestnut had his rabies vaccine and it's current, then there shouldn't be any issue at all. Not telling you what to do, but I would certainly be making some phone calls and checking with the state about this. Hopefully it won't come down to a push/shove issue. I would also insist that anyone handling any of your cats in the future, that they wear protective gloves.

Still sending lots of prayers out to Chestnut and all of your family. :love:

Freedom
05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Oh believe me, I am fuming over this! This vet has never been one I like, or get along with. When I phoned Sat am, she was the one working Sat. Next time she is the only one on, I will call another vet!!!

For now, I'm a bit stuck with her. Need to get the blood work lab report today. Will take it from there.

Rabies is carried in saliva . .. and cats are known to lick their paws, hence IF a cat has rabies, it COULD be on the nails. So the vet 'says' a human life is potentially at risk due to him scratching the vet tech, and he has to be tested if he dies within 10 days. I am also sure this vet is NUTS after researching online. However, I am now stuck with dealing with her.

Fom what I can figure, the vet is taking a VERY narrow interpretation of the applicable laws. This is why I usually do my best to avoid her; but he needed to see a vet Sat., and she was the one working. Next time, for sure, I go elsewhere if she is the only one available.

Symptoms on Sat morning were: protruding back, severely anemic (gums are white), can barely walk and has to stop and rest, vet felt something in his abdomen, could be a mass, could be enlarged liver. He had major black gunk eye discharge, lost his balance / orientation and was crying much of Friday night I was up with him. Since starting the meds (clavamox antibiotic and pet tinic for iron supplement) on Sat am, the eyes have cleared, has regained balance and no crying at all. He is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping fine. His gums are still white which is a big concern. We get the blood work lap report later today, and may be able to start more meds then.

Catty1
05-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Prayers for results for something that is treatable.

I am very glad that Chestnut is doing better and most important more comfortable.:love:

phesina
05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Sandie, that's so good that the medications seem to be doing their job well. And may Chestnut continue to do better and be comfortable.

Continuing prayers for him. God bless, and love :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

Taz_Zoee
05-14-2012, 09:29 AM
This sounds hopeful that he will make it past the 10 day mark. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I am so sorry for what you have gone through and are going through. And this vet doesn't help. :( :mad:

catmandu
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
We are so sorry to hear that Big Orange Chestnut is not feeling well:love:
All Our Orange Angel will come down for Chesyer and we pray that his White Coats can help Chestnut feel better:love:
He is a WonderCat!!!:love:

Freedom
05-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Thank you Gary!!! :D

cassiesmom
05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Big prayers for Chestnut! :love:

Kirsten
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Sandie, how is Chestnut doing today?

krazyaboutkatz
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm so glad that the meds are working and that he's looking and feeling better.:) Lots more prayers are being sent to you both.

Freedom
05-14-2012, 11:59 AM
The lab report is inconclusive.

White cell count very high, so he has infection.

Calcium is very low, parathyroid is borderline, one enzyme is high, . . . . nothing conclusive, it is all over the place. So vet's best guess is cancer, possible internal bleed.

I'm working on this.

Catty1
05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Wow..."best guess" is difficult to work with.

I hope the infection can be controlled so other stuff can be tested - I do pray it is not cancer.

HUGS to you and cuddles to Chestnut.:love:

sallyandsnowx
05-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh Chestnut. :( I'm sending my thoughts and prayers to the both of you.

Pinot's Mom
05-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Sandie, I just saw this, just got home. I'm so sorry; {{{hugs}}} and prayers for you and Chestnut. Keep us posted.:love:

chocolatepuppy
05-14-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. Many prayers for your Chestnut. I'm sorry you have to go through this so soon after your loss of Sugar and Marlin.:(

chocolatepuppy
05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Sandie, I've been thinking about this. When my RB Mandy was rushed to the emergency vet, late at night, I knew this would be her last ride. We had to have her PTS. She was not up to date with her rabies vaccine. It was about 6 months overdue. This was because she had been so sick, even with going to the vet frequently, she was always too sick to vaccinate. When the vet asked me if her rabies vaccine was up to date, I told her no. I immediately wished I had lied for fear of what might happen. Then she asked me if she had bitten anyone in the last ten days. I told her no, Mandy wouldn't bite anyone. End of story. We took her body home with us and had someone pick her body up for cremation the next morning.

When I had RB Sassy PTS when her cancer got so bad, as she was getting a shot to calm her, she bit me. The vet said "I hope she's up to date on her rabies vaccination" She was. Don't know if he checked her records or not.

It seems strange to me if Chestnut is vaccinated, this wouldn't be such a big issue. Hopefully he's going to do well and be around awhile and it won't be an issue.

smokey the elder
05-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm surprised the vet hasn't mentioned FIP. We've had several cats in our rescue present the same symptoms and that's typically the first guess. Poor Chestnut. The business with the rabies is bogus.

Queen of Poop
05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Firstly, I am sorry I am just seeing this now. Sending lots of prayers and good healing thoughts to Chestnut. A big hug for you my dear. So much to have to deal with.

Secondly, it's a good thing your vet is a ways away from me or I'd go give her a good head slap! Did they take precautions when dealing with a cat that isn't feeling well? He's up to date on his shots so there should be no issue. Isn't that why we vaccinate our pets, so there are no issues if a scratch/bite happens?

Perhaps now that they've come back with really no results it is time to seek a second opinion.

Freedom
05-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you.

We do know Chestnut was very ill, with a bloated abdomen probably from internal bleeding. The anemia had him so tired he could not even lift his head at the end.

I had him in to a vet on Monday evening. When I got there, I learned they do not allow owners to remain with the pet. I brought my boy back home with me. This morning I hit the phones, asking more details before making an appointment.

His memorial is here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?173083-Till-we-meet-again-Baby-Chestnut&p=2420077#post2420077