PDA

View Full Version : Typing!

gini
11-17-2002, 10:57 AM
This morning as I sit here rapidly typing out posts, I started thinking about typing and where I learned.

I learned how to type in high school and it is a skill that I have needed to use my whole life.

Do you remember when typing was "womens" work - men just didn't do that - or needed to type only in specialized fields.

I laugh when I see my brothers and they are hunting and pecking.

11-17-2002, 04:18 PM
hahaha , Gini , how about this icon :http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons1/compbang.gif Good one , hey !!

All Creatures Great And Small
11-17-2002, 08:13 PM
TOO FUNNY! I often joke that typing was the only class I passed in high school (well, not true, but it was the easiest one).
I remember, too, when we took stenography in school in case we wanted to be secretaries (oh man, I just dated myself again - yes, I'm from the stone age). In fact, when I was in high school, computers were not at all in the mainstream, and I thought it was so cool when I took my first "computer" course and learned to TYPE ON A COMPUTER (in 1977)! I figured I could go work for NASA, for cryin' out loud! And yes, my husband is (I shouldn't even say this) king of the peckers (I couldn't resist) - he types with one EXTREMELY slow index finger, and has to look up after he hits each key to make sure it did what he wanted. Consequently I have had to become his personal assistant when he needs to communicate on the web (hey, I did become a secretary after all)! People at work are always amazed at how fast I can type, but if you "talk" as much as I do, you have to be able to type fast!:p ;) :D

Nomilynn
11-17-2002, 09:58 PM
I HATE typing!!! When I write essays for school I have to handwrite first, and it takes up so much extra time :p I can't think and type at the same time!!! :D

I also don't use "home row" or anything.. I'm kind of a self taught typist :)

COCatMama
11-17-2002, 10:01 PM
I learned to type in college, admin ass't course. :D

zippy-kat
11-18-2002, 12:22 AM
Funny you should mention this Gini--Friday I took a general skills test for a job--- typing was one of the tests! According to their test, I type 65wpm with 99% accuracy.

I began learning to type in 4-5th grade, maybe earlier. I remember going to the computer lab (aka the "duck pond"--never was certain why they called it that--other than it had blue carpet) in 2nd grade but I don't recall doing anything other than math programs.

11-18-2002, 01:59 AM
Typing ?? With all fingers ??
http://www.uselessgraphics.com/jmanjmp2.gif

Pam
11-18-2002, 06:19 AM
I learned to type in high school, along with shorthand (yes I am dating myself too! :) ) I worked for 10 years as an executive secretary at a bank and it certainly was necessary. Nowadays I watch my hubby 'hunt and peck' at the keyboard and it does make me smile. My son took 'keyboarding' in school in preparation for the 'computer age' :) and he types as fast as I do. It really looks strange to see a "male" typing quickly. My daughter, on the other hand, never took a class but is self-taught. She can type pretty quickly but uses all the wrong fingers! :eek: My typing teacher would be doing this :rolleyes: if she saw her! LOL!

Edwina's Secretary
11-18-2002, 08:51 AM
My dad made me take typing in junior high school. I did NOT want to do so. I wasn't going to be a typist! He said at least it would help to type term papers in college.

I am VERY grateful! :D :D

lbaker
11-18-2002, 09:11 AM
I think more men are typing these days but they prefer to call it "keyboarding" because that sounds more manly than typing:rolleyes:

Logan
11-18-2002, 12:17 PM
I took typing in the 8th grade. For those of you who don't even know what a typewriter is (they're relics now), we learned to type on manual typewriters (not even electric) with the keys covered up! I remember the teacher was one of the football/basketball coaches! Hehehe!!! But it was a half year course, and it worked. I think that my typing class occured in 1975, believe it or not! And I am so grateful that it did. I have used my typing skills over the years with work and now for fun on the computer!

My daughter is 11. She has the opportunity to take "keyboarding" in school, but isn't choosing to so far. But, my mom sat her down one day, showed her the proper way to type and I will admit, she's pretty accurate and pretty good. Scott, on the other hand, is a "hunter and pecker" and makes LOTS of mistakes when he types. I have learned to decipher his messages pretty well now. :o

slleipnir
11-18-2002, 01:56 PM
I never took a course to learn how to type, well, I kinda did, but I basically learned on my own from serfing :] I remember when I 1st starting to go on the net, and I'd peck with 2 fingers and search for like 2 hrs for 1 key, lol.

Cataholic
11-18-2002, 02:18 PM
I took typing in High School, and liked it. I still have problems reaching the numbers without stopping and looking...but, with a laptop in front of me all day, I have really brushed up on my speed.

ZK- you type faster, and more accurately, then my secretary!!! Wanna come work here? But, hey, no PT during the day...he he he..

anna_66
11-18-2002, 02:23 PM
I took typing in high school and loved it. I'm not great, but I'm pretty good (only about 45 w/m). It just makes me shake my head when I watch Mark trying to find the keys, he just won't let me try & teach him, we even have a typing tutor cd, he won't even try it:rolleyes:

RockyRoad
11-18-2002, 03:10 PM
OMG I learned how to type when I was five and was in kindrgarten. Then I got to use the internet when I was seven. Now I am such a fast typer I bet I will like lightining in a few years!!:)

Kfamr
11-18-2002, 06:34 PM
I love to type. I feel much more confident, typing and writing then I do speaking. I learned to type when I was atleast 5. I've been around computer my whole life.. and in middle school computer class I typed the fastest in my class, and of course on the correct keys ...unlike everyone else in class who were "one finger" typers. [which I always got xtra credit for being the best typer.... love that computer teacher, lol.] I typed atleast over 100 wpm! I dunno how much i type now.... Wish i had a program to find out how many WPM!

Cookiebaker
11-18-2002, 06:48 PM
I learned to type in highschool also. At the time, I thought I would *never* get it, but it's one of the few skills I have. :rolleyes: My hubby, on the other hand, types pretty fast but uses about 3 fingers in all. :p