PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!! He chewing EVERTHING!!

Rottieluver45
11-16-2002, 11:00 PM
Thelmer wont stop eating stuff! How do I make,or train him to stop? Please help!

Aspen and Misty
11-17-2002, 12:03 AM
He's a bunny ;) :p . Maybe try getting him some more wood and chew toys to chew on in his cage. Just make sure the wood is safe for him. Give him tissues and stuff. I really can't help ya because I don't own a bunny. Good luck!

Ash

zippy-kat
11-17-2002, 02:03 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
>BRIG GRIN<

Ohhhhh I how remember those days!!!

First of all, DON'T spank!!
Bunnies aren't keen on the same kind of discipline we might use on a pup or cat. Remember that when a predator is chasing a bun, the most likely place the bun will get grabbed is at his hind end. By spanking, you might actually be scaring him not 'teaching him a lesson.'

If you feel you must 'discipline' him, try a squirt bottle filled w/ water.
However, I must warn ya.... he'll probably only stop to clean himself and then go at it again! (or at least, that's what Soph did!)

CHEW TOYS, CHEW TOYS, CHEW TOYS!!!
Provide lots and lots and lots of distractions. Bunnies generally like things that make noise and/or items that they can throw. Anything they can chew is also a plus!

Sophie prefered cardboard boxes (messy, yes, but kept her occupied!), teething 'keys' (you know those ones for babies?), and my Shakespeare book lol (you can try an old phone book). Jingle balls (in the cat-toy section--preferably the wire ones) were also a favorite of Soph's. She never cared for twings and/or wooden chewblocks. However, she did really(!) like the carrot flavored doggie bones. (I think they're made by the Nylabone company--make sure the kind you get are EDIBLE! The company also produces spearamint-- Soph liked these as well.)

I would NOT recommend towels/carpet remenants/stuffed animals, etc. They can eat those and it'll cause MAJOR tummy upsets. (That having been said, I would give Sophie towels/wet washclothes--but only under supervision and only after the chewing stage had passed.)

NEUTER HIM!
Soph's spay was *THE* biggest turning point (re: chewing *AND* consistancy in litter box usage).

Trust me, I *know* what you're going thru! lol I went thru three keyboards, two mice, one extension cord, one lamp, and my headboard bears teething scars! (Word to the wise, if the computer is in your room--invest in wireless keyboard/mouse--worth every penny!! lol)

I sure do miss my Miz Attitude... I'd go thru all the teething flustration just to have her back. *teary-eyed smile* Give that Thelmer a gentle hug for me and hang in there, it'll get better!!

jenluckenbach
11-17-2002, 08:10 AM
bunnies are chewers. I think the key is to "rabbit-proof" the area, not to try to train a bunny NOT to do what is natural. I know they have products that taste bitter that you spray on that will (or should) prevent a dog/cat from chewing on objects. Do they work for rabbits?? (for example, Bitter Apple spray)

Rottieluver45
11-17-2002, 09:10 AM
Thanks I`m gonna try some of the stuff you said,Zippy! He has like five chew blocks but he only chews on one! :confused:

Twisterdog
11-17-2002, 04:12 PM
He's chewing because ... he's a rabbit! :)

My rabbit used to chew on everything! The key is just to watch them, and rabbit-proof the house. I never really had any luck "training" him not to chew.

My rabbit didn't like chew blocks that much, either. He liked natural tree branches better.

lv4dogs
11-18-2002, 08:01 AM
They make a ferret bitter apple spray along w/ other types of products to deter chewers for ferrets, dogs/cats. I am sure the ferret stuff is safe for raibbits & most likely the kind foir dogs& cats.

Daisylover
11-18-2002, 10:03 AM
The bitter apple stuff never worked with any of my bunnies. Zippy said it best, keep Thelmer busy, give him lots of things he can chew on. Bunnies teeth grow constantly, which is why you cannot tell the age of a bunny by looking at its teeth. So they chew to keep their teeth "filed" down. Neutering does help to cut down some but I found age has a lot to do with it too.....my older guys don't chew up stuff like the young ones... ;)

lv4dogs
11-18-2002, 10:08 AM
They make ferret chew deterant stuff that is different than the apple stuff. It may be worth a try. Chaos my ferret likes the apple stuff but hates the other stuff. I think it might be made by natures miracle or it at least looks very similar to the natures miracle bottle.