PDA

View Full Version : Got my first ticket...

dab_20
05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I know I haven't been around much, hope to post pics of Molli in dog general within the next few days.

Yup, it's true, got my first traffic ticket the other day. I was at a stop sign turning right and a cop was in front of me turning left into my street ( or so I thought ), so I went, when in fact she was doing a U turn. Nearly crashed into her, but luckily stopped in time and I let her go in front of me. Of course I knew I was doomed nearly crashing into a cop; saw he slow down to get in back of me and sure enough red and blue flashing lights came on.

I'm supposed to go to the Justice Court ( don't know why I have to GO there ) to get my ticket price I assume. I'm not going to fight it because it was honestly my bad. However, the ticket is 90 dollars ( got stopped for not yielding at a stop sign ) and I have NO money. Does anyone know if they usually work with you, possibly lowering the amount if I explain my situation ( full time college student working 2 jobs, living on my own, barely making bills ) ??

I feel really bad about it :( Hoping, just hoping, my insurance doesn't go up because of it.

UGH!

Catty1
05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Phone the court and ask if there's someone with whom you can discuss the fine. Just say what you wrote here - first ticket, your fault, broke college student etc.

If the amount can't be reduced, maybe they will take payments? I suspect they will be happy to work with you on this as they likely get MANY people saying it wasn't their fault! ;)

Alysser
05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
That doesn't sound like your bad at all. How were you supposed to know she was making a U-turn? :mad: You're only human, Danielle. Don't feel bad about it. I've never been in your situation however I wish you luck with getting it reduced at least! Good luck!

Karen
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
It really depends on who you speak to at court. Be as polite and respectful as you can, and try not to get emotional. Ask if you can either work out a payment plan, or have the fine reduced in exchange for community service, and promise never to do it again. It really varies from court to court, judge to judge.

Scooter's Mom
05-02-2012, 04:31 AM
That doesn't sound like your bad at all. How were you supposed to know she was making a U-turn? :mad: You're only human, Danielle.

Not to be preachy but that is we are supposed to follow at an appropriate distance. We are supposed to travel at a safe enough distance for just this reason.

Ask about traffic school to keep it off of your record. Generally one ticket won't make insurance go up much at all (if it does) . Call your insurance agent and they will be able to tell you.

Cataholic
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
If you are cited to court, no one....no matter how nice you talk to them...can reduce your fine, agree to make payment plans, keep it off your license, etc.

Go to court, plead no contest, and you will get a fine and court costs. HERE, in my county, you will be asked, "can you pay that today or do you need time?". Then, generally you are given 30-45 days to pay it off.

You could also go to court, plead not guilty, and it would get set over for trial on another day, probably 30 days further out. Then, when you go to the trial date, change your plea to 'no contest', and you will still be given time to pay (at least you are HERE). That way, you have close to 60-90 days to save up money to pay the ticket. Or, contest the ticket, and take your chance at trial. You don't pay more just cause you go to trial and are found guilty.

You could talk to the officer personally, and ask if he/she would consider reducing the ticket to a non moving violation...less in fines and no points. The police do do that from time to time...

The state you live in assesses points, and I imagine a mover like that would be two points. Your insurance company runs your license periodically, and it may adjust your rates upwards, until the points fall off. Here, that is 3 years.

Lady's Human
05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
In NY you can discuss it with the ADA and if you have a clean record they will normally reduce it to a non-moving violation, dunno about Utah.

Cataholic
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I should havr clarified. No one you talk to with the court or the clerks office can do anything. You must go to court. There, the prosecutor ( called district attorney some places) can work out any deal he or she wants...usually with officers permission or input. BUT you still need to go to court, not talk to some clerk.