PDA

View Full Version : Help me open this....

Randi
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
When my friend moved to Qatar, I helped her empty her house and she gave me a lot of things, including this, which I think may be small apricots in some kind of liquer - not sure.

There's a rubber band around the inside of the lid. I simply can't open it!

It looks like this:

Karen
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
See that part hanging down on the right side of the photo? Flip that up, and voila - it's openable, you can then undo the little latch above it!

Randi
04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Oh yeah? I've done that, have several of them with various pickled things and marmelade in them. This one just seem to be stuck. Perhaps I should try covering it with very hot water - do you think that would help?

Thanks anyway, Karen! ;)

moosmom
04-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Before you lift the lever up, gently tap the bottom of the jar with the palm of your hand. Sometimes that will break the seal. How OLD is the stuff in the jar? Might have passed it's expiration date. Good luck!!

Randi
04-25-2012, 11:06 AM
It's homemade and may from 2010. She certainly did a good job keeping it closed. I think I'll put in hot water for a while and see if that helps - or bang it on the kitchen counter.

Karen
04-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Oh yeah? I've done that, have several of them with various pickled things and marmelade in them. This one just seem to be stuck. Perhaps I should try covering it with very hot water - do you think that would help?

Thanks anyway, Karen! ;)

Yes, if some of the sugary stuff got into the seal, or the rubber gasket has deteriorated, the warm water will dissolve the sear, and heating the metal parts will expand it slightly ...

happylabs
04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Maybe Fister can help? :p

Randi
04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Ha ha, he might have done, had there been anchovies inside. :D

I'll let you know when I get it opened.

Edwina's Secretary
04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Another thing to try is to push down on the lid while lifting the clasp...

Randi
04-25-2012, 03:00 PM
The strange thing is that the clasp wasn't really that tight, but the lid is like clued to the glass.

I've now had it in hot water, totally covered for about an hour, and I even got the toolbox out and used a hammer - to no avail.

Will leave it until tomorrow and maybe cover it with boiling water.

pomtzu
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
If it still won't open after you have run hot water over it, then after you lift the bail and unlatch it, take a regular table knife and gently pry up along the edge of the lid while it is still hot/warm. If that doesn't pop it open, then I don't know what will.

pomtzu
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Did you get it open yet??? A funny thought crossed my mind...........maybe your friend was playing a practical joke on you and really did glue it closed! :eek::D

Randi
04-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Ha ha, I doubt it. I remember she had loads of these standing in her kitchen, with various fruits etc. in them.

Just now, I had a look at it again, but I'll leave it for bit, and then put it in a bowl with boiling water. Of course, now I'm getting really curious about what is inside. :D

Oh btw, I also got several bottles of wine which were difficult to open.