PDA

View Full Version : Please sign this thank you card for our military overseas!

mugsy
11-16-2002, 05:55 PM
I got this from my Aussiecur email list. I signed it and I thought maybe some other Pet Talkers would be willing! Thanks!!

A simple act that says much...

Hey Everyone:

If you are so inclined, visit the Department of Defense web page below and
sign a brief message thanking the men and women of the U.S. military
services for defending our freedom. The compiled list of names will be sent
out to our soldiers at the end of the month. So far, there are only about
860,000 names.....What a shame...... National Military Appreciation Month.

Please pass it on to your email friends.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html

It takes only about 10 seconds

todd
11-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Singed it.

RockyRoad
11-16-2002, 08:38 PM
I'll sign it right after this post. Thanks for the link!!:)

mugsy
11-16-2002, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys. I'm sure our troops will appreciate it!

ownerof3dogs
11-16-2002, 11:07 PM
I signed it. I was number 1,384,408 !!!

kohala
11-16-2002, 11:13 PM

11-17-2002, 05:34 AM
Although I am Belgian , I signed this too !! I admire ALL those who are trying to defend liberty and democratie all over the world !!

mugsy
11-17-2002, 07:57 AM
WOW, lut, thanks!! I'm sure that will please the troops!!

ChrisH
11-17-2002, 12:37 PM
lut wrote
I admire ALL those who are trying to defend liberty and democracy all over the world !!
I was born and live in Wales, part of the UK, I signed too and feel exactly the same as lut does.

Andie
11-17-2002, 01:59 PM
#1,393,497 here!

Ann
11-17-2002, 02:13 PM
For those of us who take the other side:

http://www.votenowar.org

And this is all I'll say on this subject. I'm not up for another pointless fight, I just thought it was only fair that the people who are against war has a petition to sign as well. I hope that can be accepted.

mugsy
11-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Ann, the card is not about going to war. It's about support of the troops that are overseas in whatever capacity. I understand why you wouldn't want to sign it being that you're not an American citizen. I just thought I would clarify.

Soledad
11-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Hmmm. I see where you're coming from, Anne. But the military just does what the government wants it to. Many Vietnam soldiers fought, but were opposed to the principle of the war, especially later on.

So, while I do not support military action against Iraq, I do not condemn the soldiers who fight, as they are doing what the Government wants them to do.

Soledad
11-17-2002, 03:08 PM
I do appreciate that link, though, Ann!

AmberLee
11-17-2002, 03:45 PM

Maddog
11-17-2002, 09:12 PM
i signed it i was number 1,402,833! My cuzin is in the service and i respect what all the troups are tryin to do!

Country Hick From Redneck Central:D

Ann
11-18-2002, 03:09 AM
Me not wanting to sign that paper/petition/card has nothing to do with me not being American; it only has to do with my loathing of war, no matter what country takes part in it. But thanks for clarifying it all anyways :)

Dakota's Mommy
11-18-2002, 08:29 AM
Ann, I really don't mean to upset or offend you. But I just want you to know the truth about something. Not all of our soldiers are overseas for reasons of war. Look at how many soldiers are stationed over in Germany and other parts of Europe where they are aloud to bring their wife and children. Then theres, such as my husband last year, who were stationed over in Korea. This is not to fight a war, but to try to stop one from breaking out between North and South Korea. Plus, as I believe somebody mentioned before, many of these such soldiers are not in favor of war or fighting in some of these countries. They really do wish things could be resolved in other ways. However, once a soldier comes down on orders, there aren't too many things that are going to get him out of it. These soldiers do have to follow their orders.

Again, you are entitled to your own opinions and I respect that, I just felt you should know the truth about some of our soldiers over in other countries. I also want to thank those of you who are supporting our troops. For those soldiers, being away from their families and friends is a very hard thing to do, but they do it for America and freedom! Personally, I'm very proud of what my husband does for this country.

Cataholic
11-18-2002, 01:27 PM
I am sure this will bring on the wrath of a few people, but, I will say it anyhow..you live too far away to come punch me in the nose anyhow.

I can't really imagine someone sitting around saying, "Hey, let's go start a war, and kill people, I think it is just what this world needs, and I don't have anything better to do but risk my life, my fellow countrymen's lives, and the opponents lives. What the heck, let's go to war!".

I think war is a necessary evil. It is premised on someone's belief system that something needs to be done to rectify, correct, or halt someone else's position. There has been much war in this world that was done because if SOMEONE didn't step up to the plate, another situation far worse would happen. So, we can argue that it country x 'shouldn't' be involved, that the US does it just to keep on top of someone else, that attacking these people won't change the status of this other country...whatever.

We all receive media that is SLANTED, and being an American, I have heard all the rhetoric that as an American, I am being brainwashed by the American government so as to be kept in the dark about what is 'really' going on in the world...but, I just can't believe it is only the Americans that are butting in where they don't belong, that Americans are the only ones that don't 'get' what is really going on, that we are the instigators of all that is evil. I guess the government has done a good job with me. I support the concept of war, I prefer to live here, I do enjoy the democractic way, and I am thankful for those that serve, protect, and defend (and look suh-weet in uniform....he he he..).

mugsy
11-18-2002, 02:21 PM
You know...there is something about a Marine in his dress blues isn't there??? MMMM..... Sorry Mike....Army uniforms just aren't as cool. Although my nephew's Airborne was pretty cool. You know that it's funny, but I've never seen a picture of Mike in his dress uniform.

You know Johanna, you made a good point. Everyone always gets on the U.S.'s back about getting involved in other countries, but aren't THEY guilty of the same thing?? Hmmmm....good thought.

Cataholic
11-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Mugsy- it is that age old (biblical?) saying, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Everyone is still a person, regardless of nationality. Americans get as much propoganda as anyone else. It is human nature, when you are presenting your view, to present it in such a way that will best get your point across. I went to a small liberal arts college. As a political science major, my instructors were largely non americans. I don't know why, maybe just coincidence. I am not claiming anything biased, or strange here. I would constantly hear, "You Americans...you just look at it from the American view, as fed to you by your American government". OK, where is the problem? Did this person think the Armenian government was 'feeding' it's people the Mexican viewpoint? Of course not. (I just picked two countries..nothing meant by the selections).

I will admit to a very American way of thinking. I don't think it is the ONLY way for anything to work. I like somethings here better than other places. I prefer our health system..of course, I have a largely company paid insurance plan...so, I am looking at it from a rather skewed viewpoint. I like our political freedom, while I recognize others have a good system, many do not. I like our social atmosphere...religious freedom, cohabitation, marriage laws. Yes, other countries have the same, or similar, but, in my opinion, American has more of what I want...and yes, it is where I have spent the vast vast majority of my time. My sister has dual citizenship with Italy. We enjoy a healthy debate over similar issues. Strangely, though, her complaints about life in the states vs. life in Italy does not center on fundamental political issues, rather, it is more lifestyle or social issues...or maybe cultural issues. She prefers life in Italy, over the US (traitor...:D ), but, I can't truly say it is for any reason other than lifestyle.

I think it is taking the good with the bad, and on a whole, I think as a country, overall, we have more going for us than against us, and our issues are more 'right' than 'wrong'...

Chinadoll
11-18-2002, 03:10 PM
You know...there is something about a Marine in his dress blues isn't there??? MMMM..... Sorry Mike....Army uniforms just aren't as cool.

Ain't that the truth?! Me and my Marine at the Birthday Ball. I love when he wears his dress blues. (Not the greatest pic of me, but Joey looks good!)
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/tdomil/mcbdayball.jpg

I'm so glad people are showing their support...these guys need all the support they can get. And to those that do not support the war..I can respect your opinion...who can really say they are happy that a war is going on....but it does happen and these men are fighting for what they believe in and they have my full support. What was that saying back from when people were protesting Vietnam...something about hating the war, but not the soldiers? (I have a bad memory)

Cataholic
11-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Chinadoll

I love when he wears his dress blues. (Not the greatest pic of me, but Joey looks good!)

Chinadoll- there are enough people in this world that will try to bring you down with insults, unkind words, remarks, etc., that you don't need to do it to yourself...you look beautiful in that picture. ;)

Chinadoll
11-18-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

Chinadoll- there are enough people in this world that will try to bring you down with insults, unkind words, remarks, etc., that you don't need to do it to yourself...you look beautiful in that picture. ;)

Well, then...Thank you very much :)

Soledad
11-18-2002, 05:34 PM
I agree with you Cataholic on many of your points. But I think what Mugsy and yourself are forgetting is that America is the dominant world power. We infringe on other countries' sovereignty on a regular basis, and this is what the rest of the world gets upset over. Especially when we do not honor our UN agreements, but expect other countries to. It's about hypocrisy, and just because "other countries do it" doesn't mean it's okay for us.

Lillycat
11-18-2002, 05:42 PM
count me in....i was 1,455,783!!!!

iceyshiver21
11-18-2002, 06:29 PM
I signed!!! My uncle just retired from the militry he was a wepons checker person thingy.

Soledad
11-19-2002, 01:21 AM
Excuse me, Slave, but I think you need to seriously alter your tone if you're addressing me on this issue. Try scrolling up a bit, and you will see that I said nothing against US soldiers.

I will not get involved in a debate with someone who is so irrational that they attack me without taking the time to read everything I'd posted.

Get a grip, I agree with you on more than you'd think.

P.S. I think the word you were looking for is spelled elusive.

mugsy
11-19-2002, 05:52 AM
I will attest to the fact that Mike is aloof and evasive when asked about his military years. I understand that he can't talk about it, so I don't ask. Like I have said in other posts, My family comes from a long rich military tradition and that is why I will support our military in what ever it is that they do. While I disagree with our government's stands on many issues, I will also say that I will back it and all that it represents also. I'm sorry Soledad, I still feel that the U.S. is the greatest country in the world. And if it's so bad, why are people worldwide so desperate to get here?

I also don't think Mike was attacking YOU. As a veteran, this thread struck a chord and he felt that he had to post, he didn't say anything that other people, including myself, haven't already said, so I'm not sure why his post got your back up. Also, the catty little spelling correction was tacky. Many people on here don't spell or use correct grammar all the time (me included) and to point it out is just snotty.

I never meant for this thread to get nasty either. All I wanted was for people who support our troops to sign a card for them this holiday season and suddenly it had to become a debate over whether our troops should be sent into Iraq and how the U.S. isn't all it's cracked up to be.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Chinadoll, I like that picture you posted!
Here's one of my husband and I two years ago. We will be attending another Military Ball in December.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/pba99bfefd8b20251bfc6f3be0176d62d/fd071669.jpg

And Andrew and I on Family day.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p660958c5215501237f99a1e1569d76a2/fd071652.jpg

Chinadoll
11-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Chinadoll, I like that picture you posted!
Here's one of my husband and I two years ago. We will be attending another Military Ball in December.

And Andrew and I on Family day.

Love the pics. For a couple years, they had the Birthday Ball on a Saturday and Family Day on Sunday. I thought it was so cruel to make everyone get up around 9 the next morning to go to Family Day. I always joked that one year one of them was going to stumble into family day with his dress blues still on from the night before and hungover. Thank goodness for the last 2 years they separated family day and the Ball into 2 different weekends.

mugsy
11-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Both of you look absolutely gorgeous!! Yes, yes, there is definitely something about a man in uniform!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

iceyshiver21
11-19-2002, 01:28 PM
thats alot of numbers! wow!:eek:

ramanth
11-19-2002, 01:40 PM
And the numbers keep growing! :) I signed the card.

The pictures some of you posted were lovely! :D

Thanks for the link Molly. My military and veteran friends will like it.

mugsy
11-19-2002, 01:56 PM
No problem Kimmy, thank YOU for signing it. Like you said, it will mean a lot to the men and women overseas.

Soledad
11-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Perhaps what you didn't read was this:

Soledad: So, while I do not support military action against Iraq, I do not condemn the soldiers who fight, as they are doing what the Government wants them to do.

I posted this on the first page, and was actually DEFENDING soldiers to begin with.

Slave: I never implied that you were against the soliders but you posted your opinion and position on a thread about soliders and the request for their support.

What? Don't you remember typing this or were you too blinded by your unsubstantiated rage?

Slave: SO if you do not like the war or the steps to get to one Fine!! Just do not let the war or the government Sway your feeling toward the soliders out there carrying out the dirty work of our political process. These people need our support. Things they do for us today give all of a secure future that all of our rights will be there for our childern and grandchildern. This is what is important and everyone should realize that!!!!

And as if that wasn't proof enough that you were accusing me, you backtracked in your following post by accusing me YET again.

Slave: By posting your opinion here your actions speak against the soliders, instead of your political view. If you do not Approve of the U.S. forcing the issue of weapons inspection in Iraq. then you have not understood Iraq's roll in the terror attacks on 9/11/01. But that is not the issue here! This Whole thread is about Our Troops Overseas in whatever capacity and that was all.

Slave: Also if you can not support your opinion without getting defensive, That is something that I can not help you with. I merely pointed out to you that your view is not rounded in all the facts.

Excuse me, but you were the one who came railing in at me with your "facts". If you would like me to get into a factual debate with you, I am more than willing, but I will not enter into one with someone who has been hostile since his first entry.

I also never said America was a bully, and I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. You are obviously unstable and I do not feel comfortable talking to you further if you continue with YOUR hostile attitude. If you want to take things down a couple of notches and actually talk about things rationally, that's great. But I assure you, I am not a novice in this area and I am not uninformed. I commend you for your service and your experience, and I am actually interested in hearing your side but not so long as you carry on in this fashion. If you noticed, this thread was fine before you came in. Sure people weren't agreeing, but they weren't shouting and throwing their weight around.

Soledad
11-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Mugsy....

I have no desire to challenge your beliefs that the U.S. is the greatest country on earth. You have plenty of valid reasons to think that. The reason why I abstain from such comments is because I feel it is impossible to make such a statement as I have only lived in three countries, and have not been able to live everywhere to make a statement like that. But if you feel that way, that's great. I know a lot of others agree. I would say that out of all the places I've lived, I loved America the most. I yearn for it daily and defend it when people challenge it. But that does not mean I turn a blind eye to its faults. I love it so much, that I want to make it a better place, and complacency does not seem to be the way to accomplish that.

Mike was pretty clearly attacking me, in my opinion. I've seen things get far nastier on PetTalk over a lot less. I'm sorry you can't even see where I'm coming from, but I've already have had plenty of PMs and emails sent to me in agreement. They just don't want to be pulled into the fray.

Mugsy: Also, the catty little spelling correction was tacky.

Well, I think egregious spelling errors are tacky, especially when someone is trying to come off as "smarter than thou".

mugsy
11-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Knock it off Soledad. You're talking about my husband and I do NOT want to hear it anymore. Also, please don't insult my intelligence. I am perfectly capable of reading posts and have done so since this thread started and my opinions have not changed, nor will they and I don't need to read nasty, confrontational, and catty things about my husband. And last time I checked, because we have freedom of speech in this country, he is as able to post opinions as you are. If you didn't catch it, everyone has moved on. Why don't you do the same?

Soledad
11-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Geez, Mugsy...can't handle debate with anyone over thirteen?

mugsy
11-19-2002, 04:25 PM
I am apologizing that a thread that I started as a tribute to the United States military has degenerated to name calling. As far as I'm concerned the discussion is over and will no longer acknowledge any posts pertaining to the negativity. Tell me I'm running away if you please, but I'm not going to lower myself to these standards any longer.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-19-2002, 04:37 PM
Is there not a saying here in this wonderful country of the US of A
that goes something like "LOVE IT, OR LEAVE IT?"
By the way all you people going to the Military Balls, looked just beautiful and very handsome, our youngest daughter and Marine Corp son-in-law just went to the Marine Corp Ball also.
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

alysha19
11-19-2002, 04:50 PM
I SIGNED!!:D

NoahsMommy
11-19-2002, 06:01 PM
I signed it!

All members of our US military have my full gratitude! I could never do what they do...I'm a little too sensitive for what they have to witness.

mugsy
11-19-2002, 06:21 PM
Again, I thank you for signing the card. Our men and women need to know that we support them and that we appreciate the hard work they do for us everyday. The girl who originally sent the letter to me was rather disheartened because there were only 800,000 signatures. We Pet Talkers have done something about that and I'm happy to see the numbers increasing on a daily basis!!

Cataholic
11-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Soledad- if you read several posts up...you will see EXACTLY what I was referring to on the other thred!!!!! I would like to say, "Out of the mouth of babes"..but that saying has a truly innocent and naive connotation. This situation calls for something along the lines of an Ostrich and the sand!!! Or, maybe Ignorance is Bliss? Either way, I think we have the right to post our opinions, but, as you called me on earlier, and I said the same thing in the other post.....you now see how I got so carried away, hmm?

People's personal experiences make their point of reference very different. I haven't ever served in the military, nor has any member of my family. In fact, none of us have ever been a public servant of any sort. I think any of our men and women in uniform-be it the armed forces, or the police/fire- deserve our support for doing a very difficult job- and maybe, sometimes, a job that goes against their own personal beliefs.

Chinadoll
11-20-2002, 03:21 PM
No offense meant...but from this American...please don't lump us all together as ignorant...while I love this country there are vast differences among us.

Also...unless it is some kind of scientific study(even then you have error) any survey from any media source is completely BIASED. Studies like that infuriate me. You have no idea the type of people they asked to participate, if it was voluntary, if they targeted people from uneducated backgrounds to participate to get the results they wanted...the list goes on and on. None of those surveys on any kind of media mean anything because there is an extreme margin of error in their testing and the subjects they choose.

And another note...I would never say this country(United States) is the best. There are many places I'd love to visit that I believe to be beautiful countries. To say any one country is best is extreme.

Soledad
11-20-2002, 03:25 PM
She is an American, by the way.

I don't agree that studies done by media sources are immediately biased, as they contract out market research companies to conduct them, who are obliged to adhere to certain rules. However, how they use the results can be misleading.

They did a study here in NZ that said that most NZ kids couldn't locate NZ on a map. It doesn't mean they're stupid, just means their perspective is flawed. I would say that most Americans (myself included) are truly geographical novices. But to me, knowing where somewhere is doesn't make you smart. Knowledge is nice, but not a measure of intelligence. Your ability to reason, analyse, etc. is what makes someone truly intelligent.

NoahsMommy
11-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Talk about ignorance. :rolleyes: I can locate almost ANY country on a map
I was under the impression that you lived in America. Is that not true?

Chinadoll
11-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
She is an American, by the way.

I don't agree that studies done by media sources are immediately biased, as they contract out market research companies to conduct them, who are obliged to adhere to certain rules. However, how they use the results can be misleading.

They did a study here in NZ that said that most NZ kids couldn't locate NZ on a map. It doesn't mean they're stupid, just means their perspective is flawed. I would say that most Americans (myself included) are truly geographical novices.

Ok, but the way she worded it sounded like she was stereotyping all Americans which irked me a tad.

But to me, knowing where somewhere is doesn't make you smart. Knowledge is nice, but not a measure of intelligence. Your ability to reason, analyse, etc. is what makes someone truly intelligent.

Very eloquently put. I agree completely.

NoahsMommy
11-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Have you ever taken a statistics class? People can sway either participants or numbers to get the results you want. Most people I know, know where other countries, cities, states, etc are. You need to also take into account that we learn this stuff when we are in 6th grade...

I've done many papers where I can make points by "creatively" citing facts that apply to what I'm talking about. Just as long as you cite it... :)

In a speech class I took, you are required to debate an issue for ten minutes on the opposite of what you believe. We are required to find facts that state the OPPOSITE of what we believe to be true...

There was a show that used to be on regarding how "stupid" the general public was. I would imagine the reason for this show was that "educated" people would find it funny to see others that didn't know things that were considered general knowledge.

Chinadoll
11-20-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Chinadoll, this is coming from an American too. I am American by birth. I don't mean to bash Americans or anyone but that report is sad. I don't think it could be a biased report because its on CNN. If it was on some other News agency, particularly a foreign one, I could take it as "biased," but on CNN, I don't know. If this can be a biased report, well then, anything else on the news can be biased as well. My point was that with people not even knowing where countries are, it is ignorance to believe everything on the media and everything you hear about certain countries when you don't have a clue about them.

Noah's Mommy, yes I do live in America. Again, that report doesn't imply to all Americans, but it implies to a great majority. Its very sad. Looks like either teachers are not doing their job right, or students have no willingness in learning and ignore the teacher when he/she is teaching. :(

I believe any media source/news report is biased. How biased it may be is the question. How a reporter presents the material, the tone in which they deliver it, even the style of website they use can all effect the message that is being delivered. This is not to say that all media is bad and you shouldn't believe any of it...but I do think it's hard to keep human reactions and emotions completely out of the message you're delivering. Why do I keep debating this..well, I'm a Communications major and we loved to debate this topic in classes...not that that makes me more knowledgable than others in this area...it's just where I'm coming from.

I will not believe that study represents all of America. For me to believe that I'd have to study the criteria of how they researched and surveyed for me to be satisfied. To do a study to represent all of America would take a huge sample population and many hours to try to get an unbiased study accomplished.

One reason I think that some Americans(I won't say all, and I'm not trying to stereotype...just hypothisizing) are not very knowledgable about world affairs is that we're very insulated from it all. Many other countries are smaller and much closer to their neighboring countries than the US is. The closer they are, I believe the more concerned they are about the other country's politics.

I'm at work and trying to type fast, so I hope this makes sense. Sorry for the spelling mistakes and perhaps jumbled thinking. My mind works faster than my hands can type.

edited: meant to say not very knowledgable

Soledad
11-20-2002, 04:18 PM
Chinadoll -

I agree with most of your points. But the reason why CNN polls get credit is because they use market research firms to do the research. Now, how they report it can be totally skewered, but the research companies will basically lose out on a ton of business if they're found out to be fraudulent (my husband works in market research).

Let's say that the study met all your requirements (sample size, etc.) and the result was the same or similar? Then what? Personally, I think it's pointless to quibble about the numbers of this particular result as it's been a study that has been conducted before with similar results. I think you have to prepare yourself for the fact that that is most likely an accurate result, in which case your point about America being relatively isolated, etc. is quite a valid excuse.

Most Americans might not know where Uzbekistan is, but they have A LOT of geographical knowledge about individual states and cities within the US. People from other countries often forget this fact.

I'm interested to know, since you studied communications, if you believe media outlets are biased according to their sponsors?

Chinadoll
11-20-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm interested to know, since you studied communications, if you believe media outlets are biased according to their sponsors?

Yes. I remember discussing in class stories pulled from the news because it upset the parent company. Ads that were not used in magazines/newspapers because it conflicted with another ad source that brought in more money. Sometimes it all comes down to who has the most money. When different media sources are relying on ad income to support them, it is very hard to not be biased in favor of the sponsers. You are in conflict with wating to present an unbiased news source and wanting to remain in operation.

Soledad
11-20-2002, 04:32 PM
I find that frightening. Have you done a lot of reading on the topic? It's unbelievable just how much corporate America gets away with, and scary how much of a relationship those corporations have with the government.

Soledad
11-20-2002, 04:41 PM
You're a very smart girl. A very insightful post, Popcornbird.

Cataholic
11-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Ok, gag reflex in check now, I will be the first to admit I don't know where the heck most countries are in the world, or what their political structure is. I am not a firm believer in rote memorization, and surely, if someone is claiming some knowledge of a country because they know where it is located on map, that person is missing something.

We all know people with enough letters behind their name to start their own alphabet, yet, they can't get from point A to point B without someone holding their hand. Then, we know high school dropouts that can do math calculations faster than I can whip out my palm pilot and use the calculator.

The irony of this conversation- which has somehow grown to strange porportions, is that the very idea of intelligence that is being slung here...is sooooooo WESTERNIZED!!!!! When a good portion of the world's population is illiterate, I am confused how our definition of intelligence, knowledge, whatever, even matters? Especially to the ones here going on about how smart they are cause they know where every country is.

If the choice is intelligence or experience- I will sign up for experience..and this comes from someone with a doctorate. But, big whoop. If you don't have the experience as the stage for your education, you are living in a vacuum- either here, in India, Timbucktoo (how ever one spells it).

aly
11-20-2002, 10:31 PM
Can this argument be settled now? Of course we will not agree on everything but I think we all agree on the fact that we love and cherish our pets so lets focus on that. Mugsy meant for this to be a positive thread, and its turned into something very negative that I did not enjoy reading.

I hope no one takes offense because I'm honestly not trying to point fingers at anyone. I just want to be able to come to Pet Talk after a stressful day and be able to calm down, not get more stressed.

:)

Chinadoll
11-21-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by aly
Can this argument be settled now? Of course we will not agree on everything but I think we all agree on the fact that we love and cherish our pets so lets focus on that. Mugsy meant for this to be a positive thread, and its turned into something very negative that I did not enjoy reading.

I hope no one takes offense because I'm honestly not trying to point fingers at anyone. I just want to be able to come to Pet Talk after a stressful day and be able to calm down, not get more stressed.

:)

No offense meant back...but I didn't think some of us were arguing...just debating. And if you weren't enjoying reading the thread....then why didn't you just stop reading?

aly
11-21-2002, 01:50 PM
I could have stopped reading, but when people argue on one thread, their hostility dribbles over to other threads anyway. No, not everyone was arguing but some people were.

I just remember a time when it was a lot more positive around here and would like to see it get back that way.

sasvermont
11-21-2002, 02:26 PM
"I just remember a time when it was a lot more positive around here and would like to see it get back that way"......

Sas

I see nothing wrong with debates about wars etc. - just doesn't seem to fit with the original subject of the thread! Very similar to the thread about childhood....and then it went to the negative... oh well, that does happen.

I shall try to keep to the topics and post related to pets....that seems to be easy for most of us, yes? Oh how we do love them all so!

I learned a long time ago not to debate/discuss politics, religion or family! It always leads to a fight. I still do it though! LOL!

:rolleyes: ;) :p :rolleyes:

Cataholic
11-21-2002, 02:34 PM
What was the original topic of the thred??? He he he...oh, yeah, the card for the overseas peeps...

mugsy
11-21-2002, 05:18 PM
It does seem a long time ago doesn't it. I just regret that some people who would have signed the card won't do it now because of all the crap, which is too bad for the people for whom it was intended.