PDA

View Full Version : Human Name Associations

Karen
04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Just a funny question for you ... when you hear someone introduced by a name, do certain associations pop into your head/ Today at lunch, our waiter introduced himself as Fernando, and I automatically started a) thinking of the Seventies song by that name, and b) thought of the children's book character Ferdinand the Bull. I know, it's a different name, but that's what sprung to mind!

Do any names do that for you? Make you think of an animal or character, instead of the person in front of you?

Edwina's Secretary
04-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Well...there are names that cause songs to pop in my head. Does that count? For example...any time I hear the name Mary Lou, I hear "Well hello Mary Lou, good bye heart!

I once had a boss named Mary Lou....

catnapper
04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
I am awful - truly awful - at remembering a person's name. I try to put mental images like people I know to go with the customer's name... and fail miserably.

I always say, "My uncle's name is John, so I won't forget your name!" and I end up forgetting because I have several uncles. :rolleyes:

happylabs
04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Definitely! Names bring songs to my head, and sometimes songs bring movies to my head if they were songs in a particular movie and then I rack my brain until I can remember what movie it was.

phesina
04-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Well...there are names that cause songs to pop in my head. Does that count? For example...any time I hear the name Mary Lou, I hear "Well hello Mary Lou, good bye heart!

I once had a boss named Mary Lou....

I once had a cat named Mary Lou. That song came to mind all the time with her!

Miss Z
04-19-2012, 03:49 AM
I always associate the name 'Angelica' with the Rugrats character of that name, even though I never cared for the show much as a kid!

Taz_Zoee
04-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Having worked in day care for 12 years it was important for me to be able to remember names quickly. It would freak the kids out that I knew their name and it was my first day with them. :)
But now when I meet people I associate their name with someone else I know (usually a kid from day care) or an animal I know. And I am always pulling out songs from names or anything people say. :D

kuhio98
04-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I've found that I'm very judgmental about names. When I am introduced to a Bambi or Ginger, etc. I think of strippers. I just think people should have a more traditional first name. A "cutsy" middle name is fine. At least give the kid a chance to go by one name or the other.

I know a lady named Candy Apple. She hates her name and goes by C.A. They gave her the perfect stripper name. Hard to be taken seriously if you're a doctor. Would you go a doctor named Candy Apple T? Would you vote for a woman president by the name of Candy Apple T.?

Seriously, think before you name a child. Give them some options for their future career.

I work with a lady named Barbara. In my head I always say Ba-Ba-Ba Ba-Ba-bara Ann. She's informed me numerous times that her middle name isn't Ann. But, I can't get it out of my head. :rolleyes:

Roxyluvsme13
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I associate Angelica with Rugrats like Zara :D.

And others. People always associate my name with Barbie (because my first name is Barbara), and it's super annoying. I'm just glad I go by my middle name :p

pomtzu
04-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I have to agree with Kuhio ~~~ think before you name your kids. After all - they have to carry it around for a lifetime - not you!

When I was still working, I had a client by the name of Bingh Bongh! Seriously - pronounced bing-bong. What were his parents thinking??? He was a very good sport about it tho, and right from the beginning he told me that it was okay if I wanted to laugh about it. I never did when I was on the phone with him, but I always had a good giggle after the conversation was over and I had hung up.

kuhio98
04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I should have pointed out that the reason I found Dr. Candy Apple T was that she was listed as Dr. C.A. T ..... Well, I couldn't help being interested in a vet whose initials spelled CAT. :p