PDA

View Full Version : UtchieB's right eye is swollen shut....

moosmom
04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
He's been sleeping all day, which is very unusual since he's a wild man.

I noticed that his right eye was puffy and watery. When I investigated further, I noticed his third eyelid is totally covering his eye. I think he probably got scratched while playing with one of the kittens.

So, he's off to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment tomorrow. My friend Nancy said I should take him to an emergency vet, but I don't think that's necessary. My poor baby.:(

I'll keep you posted. I hope it's nothing serious.

Karen
04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Yowch, poor guy! Hope it heals quickly, whatever it is! Do you have an E-collar you can put on him for the night, just so he doesn't aggravate it further?

cassiesmom
04-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Aww, Utchie! I hope your eye feels much better soon so you can go back to your active self. Gentle little *kiss* for you.

Lilith Cherry
04-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Hey sweetie, hope your eye feels better very soon! I am going to visit my opthalmologist tomorrow too so I will think of you!

krazyaboutkatz
04-16-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope it's nothing serious and the vet can fix him right up. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

moosmom
04-16-2012, 06:23 AM
He slept in my arms all night and he didn't eat all day!! Now that is unusual, which means he doesn't feel good. I was able to get him to eat. Don't want his blood sugar dropping. Just waiting for the vet to open at 8.

moosmom
04-16-2012, 11:13 AM
He's got a severe case of pink eye. The vet did a dye test to make sure there was no corneal scratch. His eye was so swollen, the vet had to separate the third eyelid with a Q-tip. There was bloody tinge which indicated imflammation. He's now on Neomyacin ointment 3 times a day for a week.

I feel so bad for him. Vet says it's contagious to my other cats. That bothers me, since I can't isolate him from my other cats. Kinda difficult when you live in a a two room studio.

What I can't believe is how fast this came on! Less than 24 hours. Vet said that's how severe it was.

So...$100 bucks later :eek::eek::eek: Just glad he'll be okay.

Taz_Zoee
04-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Glad you figured out what it was and it's not a scratch. I will be hoping the other kitties do not get this. Fingers crossed!!!

Gentle hugs to UtchieB!

krazyaboutkatz
04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
I hope he'll recover quickly and that none of your other cats will get this. Good luck.:)

happylabs
04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Poor U.B. I didn't even know cats could get pink eye. I know you will nurse him back to health in no time.

Catty1
04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Get well soon, Utchie! I hope no other cats get it...or that you have a lot of extra ointment just in case.

Karen
04-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Whew, while it may be contagious, at least it is nothing that causes permanent damage if treated. Here's hoping the others do not get it, and that it responds rapidly to the medication. It's a good thing, in retrospect, that he wasn't feeling playful, so maybe the others will be safe.

phesina
04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm glad for the diagnosis and treatment. Prayers that this heals well and quickly and doesn't spread to any of the other cats. God bless you, Donna, for getting this checked out so quickly.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

moosmom
04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Conjunctivitis is common in multi-cat households according to my "cat bible" Cornell Book of Cats. I'm just going to have to take my chances and pray none of the other kids get it. His eye already looks better!

There was no question that he needed to go to the vet. It's a good thing I have a pet sitting job coming up next week or I'd be royally screwed. Between my car and cat health issues, my savings is now wiped out. *sigh*:rolleyes:

moosmom
04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
:(UtchieB is one sick little boy.:( He started sneezing yesterday so I called the vet. He's now on a course of Ammoxi. I've also been giving him Lysine for his immune system. I feel so bad for him.:( He's never been this clingy with me. He's resting under the heated throw.

Catty1
04-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Poor Utchie! Maybe the pinkeye gunk is draining and making him sneeze. I hope feels better very soon!

Stay snuggled under the warm heated throw, sweetie, and sleep. :love::love:

phesina
04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Oh, poor baby! UtchieB, we are all sending along our prayers and healing energies to help you get better SOON! Meanwhile, keep under that warm throw and get lots of rest.

happylabs
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
That is just not nice having pinkeye AND a cold. Poor Utchie. He is so lucky to have a loving and caring mama. Give him a little cuddle from me and a medicinal kiss on the top of his little head. :love:

moosmom
04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
He's really not doing well.:(

The pink eye is now in his left eye as well and he's been drooling a lot. I'm going to give it another 24 hours to see if there's any improvement. If not, I'm taking him to another vet on Thursday.

I'm so worried. I've never seen him like this before. :( I've been force feeding him filtered water to keep him hydrated.

Can I ask you guys for prayers for my Utchie???

Catty1
04-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Major PT Prayers for Utchie! I hope this is a worse-before-it-gets better. :( Does he have a fever?

Karen
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
We will say a prayer for him, poor kitty!

phesina
04-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Of course, Donna. Many, many more prayers from us for UtchieB, for healing and warmth and soon-returning good health. And prayers for you too, for all you do for your kitties and all kitties,d especially when they are not well.

Freedom
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Just saw this thread. Prayers from RI for Butchie. And for you as well, Donna.

moosmom
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Just got back from the emergency vet. Utchie has a full blown upper respiratory infection. The foaming at the mouth is from post nasal drip. The vet gave him an injection of antibiotic and put him on Clavamox twice a day till it's gone. She also told me to stop the eye ointment that my regular vet prescribed because it contained steroids and to use Terramycin, which I have a LOT of!

You KNOW he's sick when he wouldn't even eat canned tuna with juice WARMED UP!!!!

It's never ending at the Ploss's Halfway House for Homeless Cats.

maid25cats
04-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Poor Baby
I hope the injection works quickly
Feel better soon sweetie
Sending healing thoughts

Catty1
04-17-2012, 09:31 PM
OMG. I hope Utchie heals quickly now! HUGS to him and to YOU, Donna.:love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Poor UtchieB.:( I sure hope that he starts feeling better soon and that he also has a speedy recovery. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

moosmom
04-18-2012, 06:44 AM
He slept in my arms all night, snuffling and sneezing. He ate this morning which is good. The vet told me to give him the Clavamox on a full stomach to prevent an upset stomach. His eye is still ookie. I'm just praying that it doesn't spread to my other cats.

Thanks for the prayers everyone!! Love you guys!!:love:

Karen
04-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Hope he feels better soon! Being sick is just NO fun!

smokey the elder
04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Aww, poor kitty. Get well soon!

phesina
04-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Many more prayers and get-better wishes and energies are being sent for UtchieB.. Be well again soon, dear boy!!!!!

moosmom
04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Although I can't completely isolate him from the others, but I'm home, and the other cats seem to know he's not feeling well and to leave him alone. I'm just glad he's eating. I pray this Clavamox and ointment kick in soon. It's now in both eyes. I hate to see him this lethargic. Vet said it wasn't pneumonia. That's a good thing. I have a scratching post with a kitty cup on top and a kitty barrel on the bottom. I've put the heating pad in there with his blankie and that's where he is now. He's also underweight. He turned 2 yesterday and weighed in at 5 lbs. 14 oz. Not good.

Keep them prayers coming, please!!! And thank you !!

Catty1
04-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Get better, Utchie! At least he is eating...hope the meds really kick in today. Poor baby!:love::love::love:

phesina
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Prayers continue from us.. Be well soon, dear little UtchieB!!!!!

Prayers also for your Meowmie and your doctors, who are taking the very best care of you that they can.

katladyd
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I just now saw this thread. I am sending all kinds of prayers up for sweet Utchie! Get well soon, precious boy!:love: I am also praying that none of your others catches it.

mrspunkysmom
04-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Hugs http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=51723&d=1315144694 and warm wishes! :love:

Taz_Zoee
04-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Oh, I was hoping to come back to this thread to better news. :( I hope UtchieB starts showing improvement soon. I know how stressful it is with a sick baby.

moosmom
04-20-2012, 10:12 AM
He seems a little better this morning. His eyes aren't running so much and he's eating up a storm. His nose is still stuffy. I'm going to bring him in the bathroom while the hot water is running so he can breathe in the steam and break up the junk. He takes all his meds just great!

Right now he's asleep on the heated throw. I love this boy!!!!

Karen
04-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Whew, glad he's hungry, that means he's feeling better!

happylabs
04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
He seems a little better this morning. His eyes aren't running so much and he's eating up a storm. His nose is still stuffy. I'm going to bring him in the bathroom while the hot water is running so he can breathe in the steam and break up the junk. He takes all his meds just great!

Right now he's asleep on the heated throw. I love this boy!!!!

He sounds like such a sweetheart! Glad he is feeling a little better. Maybe it was Buddy's card. ;)

moosmom
04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
It made him and ME smile, happylabs. Thanks! He's still doing a lot of sleeping.

Thanks for the prayers, everyone!! They're obviously working!

mrspunkysmom
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Warm showers are great for the sinuses. Prayers for continued improvement!

phesina
04-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Ahh, signs of improvement... WONDERFUL news! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

happylabs
04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
How is the patient doing? Last you posted it seemed like he was on the mend. Hope is okay. :)

moosmom
04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm on a pet sitting assignment this week till Saturday. I go home in the morning and spend a few hours with them. He's doing better but sneezes now and then.

I've started Spike and Buddy on Ammoxi because they seem to be sneezing a little. So is Lucy, but there's no way I can pin her down to get anything in her.

I miss my guys when I'm away like this!!:(:(