PDA

View Full Version : Back to wearing glasses - ICK!

pomtzu
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I guess this qualifies as a rant..........

After enjoying the last 4 or 5 years of being free of eyeglasses, except for readers (after cataract surgery), I have to start wearing them again. I'm not happy! It started out last Fall with things not as sharp and clear as they had been, and not being able to read some print while watching t.v., or some road signs while driving. It just got steadily worse, tho at my eye exam in December it wasn't bad enough to go back to glasses at that time. Then a couple of weeks ago I developed an eye infection and a pea sized knot in the middle of my upper eyelid and went back to the doctor. Meds cleared the infection, but the knot, which is a clogged gland, didn't go away in spite of hot compresses, meds, etc. Back to doc yesterday and they did a refraction and another exam, and the vision was even worse. It was 20/20 in both eyes after the cataracts were removed, but now it's deteriorated to 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other. No wonder everything is fuzzy and I see double in the bad eye. :( So I ended up ordering my new glasses and I'm now $300+ poorer (and that was with a 30% discount I get thru my supplemental insurance) than I was before yesterday - an expense I wasn't expecting, and sure didn't need. Well they say you can't take it with you, but it would be nice to have it while you're still here.
And if the knot doesn't break up in the next few weeks, they will have to incise it and drain it. Good grief - does the fun never end??? :rolleyes:

happylabs
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I hate glasses! Been wearing them since the 4th grade. I did wear contacts for a few years but cannot wear them any longer.

Sorry you have to go back to them again. It would be such freedom without them.

Karen
04-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Oh, Pom, sorry you had to spend so much on your glasses, and all the trouble you've been having. In the future, there are glasses places you can order online for a fraction of that amount, but I understand you needed these immediately anyway!

I have worn glasses since I was 9, and basically cannot imagine NOT wearing them!

catnapper
04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I love wearing glasses and have at least twenty pairs. I admit to having an eyeglass issue and match every outfit to my glasses ( right now I'm wearing a fuschia top with yellows and purples. My glasses? Fushia frames with purple and yellow temples.

I get them online for $20 or so per pair. Zennioptical.com or goggles4u.com. my friends, family, and coworkers all use those site now.

Taz_Zoee
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm supposed to wear glasses, but I feel they are just a nuisance instead of helping me. I am also due for another exam, but I put it off when I was going through my stuff and then my surgery. And I'm still putting it off for no reason now. :o

I hope the knot goes away on its own so you don't have to have that procedure done. That doesn't sound fun. :(

pomtzu
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah - I started wearing glasses when I was 9, and wore them up until the cataract surgery, and now I'm back to them. I fought contacts for about a year, but my eyes are just too dry - and it wasn't worth all the effort. They were more trouble than they were worth.

I did check out Zinni Optical, but ruled them out. I realize you can get a general idea of what they will look like from the "try on" option, but you can't tell what they will feel like. If I got a nice looking pair but they were uncomfortable, I wouldn't wear them. Been there - done that. :eek: I thought about getting prescription sunglasses from Zinni, but what they have as sunglasses, is a regular frame and script, with the polarized clip on to fit them. I can get polarized clip ons anywhere here that sells sunglasses, since that's what I had when I wore glasses before. I inquired yesterday when I ordered my glasses, about the price of putting polarized lenses in my old frame that I already had. Sure - they would do that - to the tune of $140. Thanks, but no thanks.

kaycountrygal
04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Pom, I'm sorry to hear about your eye vision problems. I do hope the knot goes away on its own but if it doesnt I'm sure eye surgeon can do procedure without pain to you. I say this because over the years I've had eye problems with operations and procedures and even injections in one of my eyes and I did ok. Anyway back to you, I hope your vision can get better. You're in my thoughts for a positive outcome.

Bonny
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Sorry to read about your predicament & hope things will get better on their own.

I just picked up my new pair of glasses today & was told I have the start of cataracts during my exam last week. I think this is the beginning of old age for me. Something an aspirin won't take care of. :(

Karen
04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
At Zenni you can get any lenses tinted - that's how I got my prescription sunglasses, and it was pretty cheap, by comparison.

pomtzu
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
At Zenni you can get any lenses tinted - that's how I got my prescription sunglasses, and it was pretty cheap, by comparison.

There is a big difference between tinted lenses and polarized lenses. I could have gotten just tinted lenses from my eye doctor quite cheap, but that's not what I need. After cataract surgery, most people have a much heightened sensitivity to light, and therefore require a polarized lens. Even the darkest tint won't work for most - including me! Of course not - no cheap way out! :(

Freedom
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh Ellie, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You sure know how to write a good story!

Hope the knot goes away and doesn't need to be drained.

I wore contacts for 20 years (never had glasses before that and didn't buy glasses until 3 years later, ha haa). I quit those when I got the first dog (Sugar), at that time I also had to move to different scripts for near and far. I've had glasses since. I couldn't find what I prefer on zenni either. I use graduated lenses (not trifocals, which I would need otherwise) with tint and color changing for sunlight. Mine were close to $425. I miss the freedom of contacts, though.

pomtzu
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Oh Ellie, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You sure know how to write a good story!

Hope the knot goes away and doesn't need to be drained.

I wore contacts for 20 years (never had glasses before that and didn't buy glasses until 3 years later, ha haa). I quit those when I got the first dog (Sugar), at that time I also had to move to different scripts for near and far. I've had glasses since. I couldn't find what I prefer on zenni either. I use graduated lenses (not trifocals, which I would need otherwise) with tint and color changing for sunlight. Mine were close to $425. I miss the freedom of contacts, though.

Yeah Sandi - my life is always "interesting". If it's not me, then it's The Fuzzbuttz! But nothing can beat your Willy stories! ;)

How do the color changing lenses work for you? Years ago when they first came out, I got them, figuring I wouldn't need sunglasses. Well - they worked great if I was just outside, but when driving, they were a bust. They didn't change and get dark because of the coating that is on the car windshields, and I ended up having to get sunglasses anyway. Are they still the same, or has that issue been resolved somehow?

And I have to have the progressive lenses too - near, far, and in between. I would never be able to stand a lens that had a definite line change. I don't know how anyone deals with that. I'd probably be falling on my face from trying to move my head to get my eyes to the correct area of vision! :p

Karen
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
I use http://Goggles4u.com now because my prescription is too extreme for Zenni, Sandy, and I can get progressive glasses for under $50 - I think these were $36! It limits one's frame choices, but hey, I can live with that in order to save a few hundred bucks!

Freedom
04-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Ellie, I've never used sunglasses since getting these. In the car isn't any problem for me.

I'll check that out, Karen.

Pinot's Mom
04-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Oh, Ellie, I'm sorry you're having unexpected problems but wearing glasses is not the worst thing. I, as you may remember, wear them. Mine are progressive bifocals; this last pair was $800 - about $550 were the lenses alone (and I don't have a very strong prescription at all). I know there are much cheaper ones, but experience has shown this not to be the best course of action, at least for me. I'd rather pay more for much better quality. I hope the knot clears up well!

mrspunkysmom
04-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Regular sunglasses don't get dark enough for those with lens implants. I wore those after-surgery shades for years over my glasses. I finally tried polarized lenses. Not as dark but cuts the glare significantly.

It's my astigmatism and diabetes that are the big problems for me. The doctor corrected the astigmatism 19 years back and it was great for a while. Now I have to have lenses for the astigmatism. What's odd is that my astigmatism is worse now that when I was a child yet I see much better even without glasses. And that's even when my blood sugar is messing with my vision. I believe that my original lenses were unclear and defective.

An irritating note: It was ten years after my surgery that a doctor finally admitted that the lens implants have a glare problem.

BTW, I wear half moon bifocals with no problem. Progressives would drive me nuts. I like my peripheral vision.

Pom, wishing you luck.

moosmom
04-13-2012, 06:11 AM
I was told by my eye doctor that once you hit 40, your eyesight is the first thing to go. I used to wear contacts when I worked at the newspaper. They were more aggravation than they're worth. And a little too expensive. Because I need them more for reading than anything else, I chose to go with glasses again. I've tried the progressive bi-focals and they were great. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't pay for them, so I have the "little windows" in my lenses.

Don't let it get to ya. You're still beautiful, no matter what, girl!!;);)

PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!

pomtzu
04-13-2012, 07:07 AM
You're still beautiful, no matter what, girl!!;);)

Good grief girl - put your glasses back on!!! :eek: :D

moosmom
04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Ellie,

You crack me up!!!

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry you have to wear glasses again, I'm so used to my glasses now that I'd feel weird if I ever had contacts or could actually see again without them :rolleyes:. On the bright side of things, now you get to pick out cute frames and look fashionable :p.

My prescription is like in the high 6's or low 7's, so I'm sure I'm almost legally blind LOL. Every time I went to the eye doctor, my eyes were worse, but now I think they're finally settled out. Hopefully I don't get any blinder as I get older, or I will be blind! :eek:

pomtzu
04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!

Well Donna - I won't have my glasses for a couple of weeks, but after I get them, and get a much needed hair cut and color, then I'll TRY to get a halfway decent pic. In the meantime, here's a fairly current shot of me! :eek:

pomtzu
04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm sorry you have to wear glasses again, I'm so used to my glasses now that I'd feel weird if I ever had contacts or could actually see again without them :rolleyes:. On the bright side of things, now you get to pick out cute frames and look fashionable :p.

My prescription is like in the high 6's or low 7's, so I'm sure I'm almost legally blind LOL. Every time I went to the eye doctor, my eyes were worse, but now I think they're finally settled out. Hopefully I don't get any blinder as I get older, or I will be blind! :eek:

Yup - I wore glasses most of my life. What was funny was, that for about a week after the cataract surgery and I no longer had to wear them, I was constantly looking for them - thinking I had misplaced them. Talk about a creature of habit!! It was just as difficult getting used to NOT wearing them, as wearing them in the beginning.

And your eyes will probably stabilize for quite a while. My prescription changed a lot up until I hit my early 20's, and then it never changed again till I reached my early 40's. Then it was downhill from there.....:(

moosmom
04-13-2012, 01:15 PM
OMG!!! Just about peed my pants at that picture!!!

Miss Z
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
I WISH I could still wear glasses! I had a lovely purple pair, and like catnapper, used to match them to outfits. On account of my condition, I can now only wear contact lenses. They are the bain of my life. Living in smoggy London, where there's forever a road digger or a street-sweeper around the corner on my walk to college, I'm always getting dust and grit under them that makes my eyes stream and sore for the rest of the day. The worst is when they decide to play up when I'm in a dissection, or administering treatment whilst on placement - not much I can do about it other than carry on and blink like crazy! :D

It is a shame that glasses are so expensive, even so!

Karen
04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Zara, what do you have that requires contacts instead of glasses?

My eyes have changed throughout my life, so Bri, don't count on your prescription staying the same for a long time! The last check I had, they only needed minor adjustments, and some of that was because the astigmatism in my right eye has rotated. Didn't even know one could DO that! The tiny cataract moved, but thankfully hasn't grown much enough to be a problem yet, but the astigmatism also rotated.

Always changing, but at least I can see as long as I wear my glasses! My Dad has glaucoma, which is under control with eye drops, but he also has wet AMD in one eye, and dry in the other, and has had cataract surgery in the past. So I'm thinking I'm probably gonna get all that eventually, or at least some of it!

pomtzu
04-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Karen - you might want to consider polarized lenses rather than just tinted, with all of your eye issues that you already have. Polarized will block 100% of UVB and UVA rays, which can cause permanent eye damage and lead to MD. Tinted offers NO protection against these rays.

Just saying......

Taz_Zoee
04-13-2012, 04:31 PM
This thread is making me feel guilty about making a doctor appointment. Looks like I'll be doing that next week. :rolleyes:
And maybe I'll get new frames. Maybe that will encourage me to wear them more???

How is the knot in your eye Ellie??

Karen
04-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Karen - you might want to consider polarized lenses rather than just tinted, with all of your eye issues that you already have. Polarized will block 100% of UVB and UVA rays, which can cause permanent eye damage and lead to MD. Tinted offers NO protection against these rays.

Just saying......

Thanks - all my lenses have had UV protection for as long as it has been available, I will also check about UVB, it may have it, not sure. Thank goodness for plastic polycarbonate lenses. I have always been conscious of being in the sun, and shielding my eyes as well, as even as a child my folks made sure were were careful about that, as I am also very pale ( we all are) and sunburned easily. I'd say I feel like a poster child for skin cancer, but not as bad as Paul, as he's already had some removed, and has annual check for it. Irish skin like his is notoriously vulnerable, even if he has dark hair.

Alysser
04-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Man, I didn't know so many people hated contacts. I JUST got them and can't imagine life without them!! I am blind as all heck, so I guess I'll have to deal with glasses again once I get older!! :eek: I will admit, some things about them suck. I got hit in the eye by a dogs tail at work (don't ask me how, I was kneeling on the floor and WHACK! a wagging tail came into my eye!) and my contact fell out, I panicked because I didn't have my glasses and had to drive home in the dark with one eye. :o It was really irresponsible but it worked out ok.

I can imagine how much you'd hate going back to glasses, that truly does suck. I hope the knot clears up soon! Glasses aren't so bad, you might be surprised how fast you get used to them again

pomtzu
04-13-2012, 05:00 PM
This thread is making me feel guilty about making a doctor appointment. Looks like I'll be doing that next week. :rolleyes:
And maybe I'll get new frames. Maybe that will encourage me to wear them more???

How is the knot in your eye Ellie??

Cindy - if this thread got you moving toward taking better care of your eyes, then it served than more than just a rant on my part! Once your vision is gone - it can't be replaced! And new frames are more fun than using old ones too - there are so many different styles to choose from that are so attractive and fashionable. :)

The knot is still sitting there right in the middle of my eyelid. I'm keeping up the hot compresses and massage to try to break it up, but so far it's not working. I really don't want to have it incised - they make an incision on the inside of the eyelid to drain it. Doesn't sound like much fun, but since I had both eyes sliced and diced to remove the cataracts without any problem, then I guess I can do that too. :rolleyes:

Karen
04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Cindy - if this thread got you moving toward taking better care of your eyes, then it served than more than just a rant on my part! Once your vision is gone - it can't be replaced! And new frames are more fun than using old ones too - there are so many different styles to choose from that are so attractive and fashionable. :)

The knot is still sitting there right in the middle of my eyelid. I'm keeping up the hot compresses and massage to try to break it up, but so far it's not working. I really don't want to have it incised - they make an incision on the inside of the eyelid to drain it. Doesn't sound like much fun, but since I had both eyes sliced and diced to remove the cataracts without any problem, then I guess I can do that too. :rolleyes:

Gosh, we will say a quick prayers that it dissipates without Sir Jury if possible. Sounds like no fun. Do they have any idea why it happened so you can avoid whatever caused it in the future?

pomtzu
04-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Gosh, we will say a quick prayers that it dissipates without Sir Jury if possible. Sounds like no fun. Do they have any idea why it happened so you can avoid whatever caused it in the future?

This is how it was explained to me.........

You have ducts in your eyelid that produce oil, and your natural tears keep it flowing properly. When you have dry eyes as I do (even using moisturizing drops). then your eyes aren't moist enough to keep it thinned out, and it can coagulate and clog the oil duct resulting in a hardened area - the knot. Doc say there is a procedure they can do involving the tear duct so that you retain more of your tears, and that usually is done also when they drain the affected area. Having both procedures done should eliminate any further problem. It's all done in the office and I wouldn't have to go to the surgery center, and he says it's painless. Guess I'll have to take his word for it for now. :eek:

Asiel
04-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Wow...just caught up to your post now. That sure leaves me wondering what to do about having that other eye done. I had no clue cataracts could come back, probably would never have had the other eye done had I read this last year :D I can have a go at it once but not if they come back. I don't know why the optometrist said he couldn't give me a stronger prescription instead of having the cataracts removed. I think I'll ask when I go to the eye surgeon for my appt. (in his office) at least they don't throw you in the hopsital for the appt ...idiots. Wonder why no one mentioned the possibility of them coming back..?
Even with the cataracts removed I'll always need polarized glasses if I go out, so I'm beginning to wonder if having the cataracts removed is so necessary.....wouldn't mind if it was done in the office like you, not worse than the dentist...maybe if I'm lucky the hospital will float away
Can you tell the date is looming and I'm having second thoughts...:D

mrspunkysmom
04-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Wow...just caught up to your post now. That sure leaves me wondering what to do about having that other eye done. I had no clue cataracts could come back, probably would never have had the other eye done had I read this last year :D I can have a go at it once but not if they come back. I don't know why the optometrist said he couldn't give me a stronger prescription instead of having the cataracts removed. I think I'll ask when I go to the eye surgeon for my appt. (in his office) at least they don't throw you in the hopsital for the appt ...idiots. Wonder why no one mentioned the possibility of them coming back..?
Even with the cataracts removed I'll always need polarized glasses if I go out, so I'm beginning to wonder if having the cataracts removed is so necessary.....wouldn't mind if it was done in the office like you, not worse than the dentist...maybe if I'm lucky the hospital will float away
Can you tell the date is looming and I'm having second thoughts...:D

Having just re-read the thread, I don't think Pom said her cataracts came back. She's having eyelid-tear duct issues with a blocked tear duct (ouch).

Cataracts, as in the whole lens, can't come back. And a stronger presciption won't help. Prescription lenses help focus light as it passes through your cornea and natural lens so that it hits the back of the eye right on. If your lens is clouded with cataract material, light won't get through unimpeded no matter what. Think of a cataract like FOG. We can see light and dark, but the details are not visible.

If the basics of the surgery haven't changed, the doctor cuts a very small hole in the cornea and removes the anterior (front) lens capsule. The contents of the lens capsule is the removed, leaving the posterior lends capsule, hopefully free of lens material. The PC is used as a hammock to seat and secure the lens implant, which I believe is also tied into place in the eye. Months later you are evaluated to see if the cataract material on the PC has grown. If necessary, a laser surgery is performed to cut a hole in the PC so it will fall off and vision will be restored.

I was very young when mine was performed, so there is a possibility of cusping, the lens material growing around the implant.

If your doctor says you need the surgery, you should do it. The lens material clouds over and blocks or distorts light. Colors fade; clarity diminishes. I was unable to drive at night for a long time because all of the lights overwhelmed any night vision.

Believe me when I tell you that the annoyance or anti-reflective lenses with polarizing material is worth the trade for vision. Without it, I, and many others here, would be legally blind. Mine were so bad they were done 6 weeks apart.

You probably don't think you need it now, but wait until the second eye is done.

Good Luck!

Miss Z
04-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Zara, what do you have that requires contacts instead of glasses?

Keratoconus - a lovely little genetic present from my father. :rolleyes: :p It's a condition where the cornea thins and loses its rigidity, causing it to bulge or slip. Hence, the contacts effectively hold it in the correct position. Glasses would work in the short term for the vision, but wouldn't help stabilise the condition in the way the contacts do. I guess the nature of the condition is that the cornea is constantly changing shape, and thus the contact lenses don't fit as well after a while, allowing bits underneath them and driving me insane in the process!

pomtzu
04-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Asiel my dear - you really MUST have that other eye done so you can read what I wrote. BIG GOOF!! :D No - the cataracts DID NOT come back, but my eyes are going thru the good old aging process and changing once again - thus the need for glasses again. The procedures that I will probably have to have done are not on the eye, but on the eyelid. The oil gland/duct is clogged and has to be opened, and then some other procedure done to the tear duct - I'm not too clear on exactly what they do there - but I guess I'll be finding out soon enough if this doesn't go away on it's own.

Asiel
04-14-2012, 09:39 AM
I saw my name Pom--- did you write something :D? I did see that green smiley, green being my favourite colour I couldn't miss it :D
I guess I'll try to get over the hospital issue and get it done, wish there was another way:cool:

Just looked in the mirror-- yessir, I think I'm old enough to have cataracts. Actually some babies are born with them so I guess I best count my blessings;)

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Ellie, I sure hope that your eyelid heals up and that you won't need to have surgery. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are on the way.

I've had a blocked tear duct in my left eye 2 times now and I needed to have surgery both times.:( I think that mine are due to allegies or sinus problems. I had the last surgery in Nov.2011 but my left eye still tends to tear up much more than my right eye. I need to go back to my doctor to have him look at it again some time. I hated wearing glasses so I ended up wearing contacts instead. I later used the disposable daily wear kind. I later had Lasik surgery done but I was never 20/20 in my left eye due to the astigmatism. Now my vision has gotten a bit worse but I usually only wear glasses when I drive at night. I wear prescription sun glasses when I drive during the day. I also have to wear reading glasses at work because I work with tiny detailed things. Now I can't imagine not wearing reading glasses at work. I can still read most things and even use the computer without them though. I'll be turning 50 in Dec. It sure sucks getting old.:(

Karen
04-14-2012, 04:12 PM
It sure sucks getting old.:(

Just had to address that last bit, and say, as Aunt Bertha, Mary G., and others would remind me, "Getting old is not for sissies, but it sure beats the only alternative!" (Dying young.)

pomtzu
04-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Ellie, I sure hope that your eyelid heals up and that you won't need to have surgery. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are on the way.

I've had a blocked tear duct in my left eye 2 times now and I needed to have surgery both times.:( I think that mine are due to allegies or sinus problems. I had the last surgery in Nov.2011 but my left eye still tends to tear up much more than my right eye. I need to go back to my doctor to have him look at it again some time. I hated wearing glasses so I ended up wearing contacts instead. I later used the disposable daily wear kind. I later had Lasik surgery done but I was never 20/20 in my left eye due to the astigmatism. Now my vision has gotten a bit worse but I usually only wear glasses when I drive at night. I wear prescription sun glasses when I drive during the day. I also have to wear reading glasses at work because I work with tiny detailed things. Now I can't imagine not wearing reading glasses at work. I can still read most things and even use the computer without them though. I'll be turning 50 in Dec. It sure sucks getting old.:(

Did you say 50??? Oh you poor baby. I'll be 68 this week. :eek: I can hardly believe it myself!

Mine isn't the tear duct that's blocked - it's an oil gland in the upper eyelid. Never even knew there were such things in the eyelid, but I sure know now! But they will do "something" to the tear ducts if I have to have the procedure - supposed to increase the natural tears somehow, even tho those aren't blocked. This is an ongoing education for me!

Catty1
04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
There is such a thing as "secondary cataracts" - my mom was told about them when she had her cataract surgery last year.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-secondary-cataract.htm

mrspunkysmom
04-14-2012, 11:14 PM
There is such a thing as "secondary cataracts" - my mom was told about them when she had her cataract surgery last year.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-secondary-cataract.htm

The docs didn't call the condition secondary cataracts when I had my surgery. Constantly renaming stuff or differences of professional opinions. I wish they would be consistent.

This was the regrowth of lens material that I mentioned in my previous post. I see an optometrist every year, but it has been a while since I've seen an ophthalmologist.

If the basics of the surgery haven't changed, the doctor cuts a very small hole in the cornea and removes the anterior (front) lens capsule. The contents of the lens capsule is the removed, leaving the posterior lens capsule, hopefully free of lens material. The Posterior Capsule is used as a hammock to seat and secure the lens implant, which I believe is also tied into place in the eye. Months later you are evaluated to see if the cataract material on the PC has grown. If necessary, a laser surgery is performed to cut a hole in the PC so it will fall off and vision will be restored.

krazyaboutkatz
04-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Did you say 50??? Oh you poor baby. I'll be 68 this week. :eek: I can hardly believe it myself!

Mine isn't the tear duct that's blocked - it's an oil gland in the upper eyelid. Never even knew there were such things in the eyelid, but I sure know now! But they will do "something" to the tear ducts if I have to have the procedure - supposed to increase the natural tears somehow, even tho those aren't blocked. This is an ongoing education for me!

They will most likely put something in them to plug them up. My Dad also has very dry eyes so he had plugs put in his tear ducts. I think he also still uses some kind of over the counter moisture drops too. I have the opposite problem of too many tears.

Asiel
04-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Having just re-read the thread, I don't think Pom said her cataracts came back. She's having eyelid-tear duct issues with a blocked tear duct (ouch).

Cataracts, as in the whole lens, can't come back. And a stronger presciption won't help. Prescription lenses help focus light as it passes through your cornea and natural lens so that it hits the back of the eye right on. If your lens is clouded with cataract material, light won't get through unimpeded no matter what. Think of a cataract like FOG. We can see light and dark, but the details are not visible.

If the basics of the surgery haven't changed, the doctor cuts a very small hole in the cornea and removes the anterior (front) lens capsule. The contents of the lens capsule is the removed, leaving the posterior lends capsule, hopefully free of lens material. The PC is used as a hammock to seat and secure the lens implant, which I believe is also tied into place in the eye. Months later you are evaluated to see if the cataract material on the PC has grown. If necessary, a laser surgery is performed to cut a hole in the PC so it will fall off and vision will be restored.

I was very young when mine was performed, so there is a possibility of cusping, the lens material growing around the implant.

If your doctor says you need the surgery, you should do it. The lens material clouds over and blocks or distorts light. Colors fade; clarity diminishes. I was unable to drive at night for a long time because all of the lights overwhelmed any night vision.

Believe me when I tell you that the annoyance or anti-reflective lenses with polarizing material is worth the trade for vision. Without it, I, and many others here, would be legally blind. Mine were so bad they were done 6 weeks apart.

You probably don't think you need it now, but wait until the second eye is done.

Good Luck!

I'll have the other eye done, just not keen on it because of the big deal we go through here when it's a 15 minute op. Actually with only one eye done I'm in heaven, I see colours now and actual faces so I thought I could skip the second eye but might as well go the whole route. I wouldn't dare cancel now, someone would have my hide...gotta keep up with her, what she can do I can do...I think not...:D

I've always needed polarized glasses, always will but I'm so comfy in them that I couldn't do without them, no eye pain from light, no shimmering roads or sidewalks etc.