PDA

View Full Version : I am changing my major...

Alysser
04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't really know the point of this thread. I guess I just wanted to tell you guys or tell someone about this.

As some of you know I was doing Environmental Science/Zoology and really wanted to become a Wildlife Biologist. I do love the career, but I was always second-guessing myself and thought I would regret it...and everything. I've learned from avid researching and talking with people in the field it is extremely difficult to get a perm. position. It took one guy I talked to 7 years to get one. I've never been one to care about money but I cannot see living off 31k a year either. I then looked into a Game Warden position and don't think I'd be into that either. I was really starting to panic but luckily I got to a Community college and am not wasting money and I am still taking General Ed. courses.

So ANYWAY, long story short I am going for an associates degree in Radiology Technology, which my school offers. I've always thought that was a cool job. I've literally "grown" up in hospitals, thanks to open heart surgery and I have always thought Echocardiogram "people", as I used to call it had a cool job. This is a career I can enjoy, move up in, and make a decent living. (AND move wherever I want...hello ALASKA!)

I will always love animals and working hands-on with them of course, but as my mom said "you dope, you can still rescue dogs, and as many as you want because you can get a perm. position and find a nice house". :D I think this is a step in the right direction for me and I think I will do well. I meet with my counselor Monday to discuss :D

ETA: Sorry I haven't been on and if I missed anything! I've been working ridiculous hours lately and going to school...it's kind of difficult to get on the computer.

mrspunkysmom
04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I did it. Changed my major. I really love piano and other instruments, but there are 10 or more music majors for every job available. So I switched to Math. Turns out I was am way smarter in math than in music, something I didn't know until I really got into it.

I wish you luck in your venture. You can always go back to school and extend your training into any area that tickles your fancy.

Roxyluvsme13
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Good choice Alyssa, I think that'd really work well for you :).

I'm not changing my major but I don't think I'm going to vet school anymore... It's a lot of debt and I think I'd be just as happy being a Veterinary technologist. As long as I work with animals and can open an animal rescue someday, it'll work.

Now you can visit the South and live here a while ;).

catnapper
04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
My daughter does that. She has her asociates and is only one semester away from her bachelor's. Do consider going to a school that offers a 4 year degree in it. You'll be able to make AWESOME money and move up. With one year under her belt, my daughter is making over 40,000 a year (with just the assocaites degree.)

and my sister in law works in a hosiptal in Aslaska, so when the time comes and you need an "in" let me know :)

mrspunkysmom
04-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Good choice Alyssa, I think that'd really work well for you :).

I'm not changing my major but I don't think I'm going to vet school anymore... It's a lot of debt and I think I'd be just as happy being a Veterinary technologist. As long as I work with animals and can open an animal rescue someday, it'll work.

Now you can visit the South and live here a while ;).

Roxy, you can always go back to school later on. But only you will know when that is the right time.

Karen
04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
It does sound like a cool career, and one that is needed everywhere, so you'll have lots of opportunities. And even vet practices need radiology sometimes, so you never know!

caseysmom
04-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Thats a very practical move, you can live anywhere and know you'll have a job. My daughter has changed her major a few times, she is now at the end of sophmore year so I told her this was the last change, she just changed to electrical engineering.

phesina
04-12-2012, 06:00 AM
That's a great idea! Best wishes!

Freedom
04-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a plan to me! ;)

smokey the elder
04-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Radiology is a fine field, and I think there's quite a demand. There are so many imaging techniques out there. Try to fit in some nuclear/radiochemistry courses in; there are a lot of nuclear imaging tests and other nuclear medicine opportunities.

Alysser
04-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I am a little disappointed the wildlife bio thing didn't work out. My dad mentioned volunteering at a refuge or something when I am older. He told me not to lose sight of my passion for animals of course, and then added but now you can finance it better :p Which I guess is true! This is not to say I am going to hate this career, because I don't think that at all. I've always looked for things to keep on the "backburner" per say, and I have always been the nerd who wanted all my x-rays when I was little. :rolleyes: The doctors always told me I'd make a good "xray photographer" ;) I think it sounds rewarding, cool, and very hands-on which I LOVE.

THanks for the support guys!! Catnapper, thanks, I will keep that in mind;)

pomtzu
04-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Don't kick yourself because your original plan didn't work out. So many kids start out with one major, and end up switching numerous times before they settle on one. Besides - what's the sense in staying with something that won't get you a job after you've invested all that time and money into getting a degree? Radiology is a wise choice IMO - there will always be a need for people in that field.

My granddaughter is finishing up her sophomore year at MU, and she is still sticking with psychology as her major, and she took on a 2nd one this year - biology. Her boyfriend is a senior at MU majoring in marine biology, so she got interested by being with him. She said he is going to catch the sea creatures, and she will analyze them to see what makes them tick! :D Seriously tho - she wants to do work with troubled young people, so I guess she will never have to look far for work either.

Good luck Alyssa, with whatever field you choose.

Miss Z
04-13-2012, 01:36 PM
I think you made a very brave and mature decision. :) It can be so difficult to change one's mind, especially something so crucial to your life path as your career. A few years back, I had a few people question my commitment to vetmed - after all, I'd made the decision when I was 3 years of age, which is hardly proof of a rational choice! :p I stuck to my guns and I believe I was right to do so, but if I had had doubts, I think I would have had difficulty changing my options. After all, for most of my life I hadn't thought about being anything else! I don't think I could have been as brave as you, and then maybe I'd have been worse off for it.

I hope you enjoy radiology! It will be a very exciting and, as you say, stable, career. There are so many amazing developments occurring in the radiology field right now, too, and in your professional career you will witness the fruition of a lot of them. Plus, you can help me out - I stare at images of radiographs for hours and go insane trying to figure out the problems! :D

kaycountrygal
04-13-2012, 01:49 PM
To all of you who are in school and/or planning a career change or have made up your mind: I wish all of you Good Luck! Whatever you choose, I do hope it will be a career or job that you like. I dont think it would be enjoyable to have a job that you disliked. Having a good job or career PLUs making some good money doesnt sound bad at all. As you all said, you can still fit in some animal rescue.

Alysser
04-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys, I was really wracking my brain over this decision, perhaps more than I should have. I can still incorporate animals in every aspect of my life anyhow! I was researching last night and apparently you can volunteer for the Fish and Wildlife service, doing exactly what I wanted to do. I read somewhere about a girl landing a part-time through that! Maybe I can work two jobs...ahh the possibilities are endless! Who knows what I'm gonna wind up doing...but I will be studying radiology in college.

Zara, you should hire me as your radiologist!! ;) I'll be more experienced with people but who cares?! :D Imagine you, me and Bri working at the same Vet? :p

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Zara, you should hire me as your radiologist!! ;) I'll be more experienced with people but who cares?! :D Imagine you, me and Bri working at the same Vet? :p
Oh, Zara can be the vet, Kaitlyn can be our Vet tech, you can be our radiologist, and I'll be either a second vet or a second vet tech, depending on what I decide to do :p.

Karen
04-13-2012, 06:02 PM
It can all happen in PetTalkville! :) Remember this old thread? What Would Your Job be in PetTalkville? (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?7504) Sadly, Sammi, who started it, has long gone to the Rainbow Bridge herself, but I am sure she's smiling seeing all the "kids" grow into their jobs down here! As would Phred be, the last post in the thread was his, looking for a "medic" for the town ...

wolf_Q
04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Man I've never hit 30k once and I've been at my job for 10 years I'd be stoked to make 31k - I need to find a new job. :o I used to think I wanted to be a wolf biologist, also a vet or vet tech (though it sounds like at least around here I actually make more as a groomer than most vet techs). I wish I was more practical and actually found a job that paid well, I graduated college with a photography degree that I've done nothing with....yeah, I'm kinda on the wrong track, but I do like grooming most of the time so it's hard for me to change jobs. Sounds like you're on a good track, best of luck to you.

Miss Z
04-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Zara, you should hire me as your radiologist!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif I'll be more experienced with people but who cares?! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif Imagine you, me and Bri working at the same Vet? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Oh, Zara can be the vet, Kaitlyn can be our Vet tech, you can be our radiologist, and I'll be either a second vet or a second vet tech, depending on what I decide to do :p.

Done, and done! :D

shais_mom
04-15-2012, 08:58 PM
ok - I'm an xray tech and here's the scoop. I've been in the field for 13 years 15 including school and it is SATURATED. Yes they tell you can get a job but the reality is most of the jobs in the medical field are taken. Yes you can work in a Vet's office but you will make minimum wage. Yes you can work in a human doctor, chiropractic office, dental office, for minimum wage or just a bit more.

Yes you can have a Bachelor's degree but in most hospitals you will be making as much as I do and I have an Associate's degree. If you are interested in Management OR Teaching - by all means go for it! :)

These schools keep telling people that its all sunshine and roses and the reality is, its just like every thing else. Saturated. A lot of hospitals are in a hiring freeze and some have laid off. Nuclear Medicine jobs are scarce, Ultrasound jobs are scarce. Mobile jobs are limited. And back when I first joined the field traveling jobs were all the rage and they were making GREAT money traveling everywhere in general xray, ultrasound, MRI, and CAT Scan. Now Sadly the money is for the most part dried up, most places have hired Full Time people and a lot of the traveling jobs are non existent. Our department secretary graduated one year ago from Nuclear Medicine school, and was so desperate to get into a hospital, took our secretary job. I belong to a couple Radiology pages on Facebook and when the opening poster posts things like "What do you like about your job in Radiology?" and usually the first 50 posts are "I would like a JOB in Radiology"

Yes if you are willing to move to Alaska this is probably null and void! :) Near big cities this might not be the case either but I know a loooooot of people that are working at Menards, Lowe's or not working at all b/c they couldn't find jobs.
I would suggest Nursing - tho that market is saturated also. But the one that seems to be where the jobs are needed is Respiratory Therapy. (personally I can't stand the hacking and mucus bleeehh)

*LabLoverKEB*
04-16-2012, 01:00 AM

LOVE IT!!!! This needs to happen!
Alyssa you made an awesome decision! Radiology is sooo cool! Medicine is a constant learning process which I absolutely LOVE, and radiology is such an important aspect of medicine, whether that be veterinary or human medicine! I can't wait to hear more about it, you'll be AWESOME!!

Alysser
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
ok - I'm an xray tech and here's the scoop. I've been in the field for 13 years 15 including school and it is SATURATED. Yes they tell you can get a job but the reality is most of the jobs in the medical field are taken. Yes you can work in a Vet's office but you will make minimum wage. Yes you can work in a human doctor, chiropractic office, dental office, for minimum wage or just a bit more.

Yes you can have a Bachelor's degree but in most hospitals you will be making as much as I do and I have an Associate's degree. If you are interested in Management OR Teaching - by all means go for it! :)

These schools keep telling people that its all sunshine and roses and the reality is, its just like every thing else. Saturated. A lot of hospitals are in a hiring freeze and some have laid off. Nuclear Medicine jobs are scarce, Ultrasound jobs are scarce. Mobile jobs are limited. And back when I first joined the field traveling jobs were all the rage and they were making GREAT money traveling everywhere in general xray, ultrasound, MRI, and CAT Scan. Now Sadly the money is for the most part dried up, most places have hired Full Time people and a lot of the traveling jobs are non existent. Our department secretary graduated one year ago from Nuclear Medicine school, and was so desperate to get into a hospital, took our secretary job. I belong to a couple Radiology pages on Facebook and when the opening poster posts things like "What do you like about your job in Radiology?" and usually the first 50 posts are "I would like a JOB in Radiology"

Yes if you are willing to move to Alaska this is probably null and void! :) Near big cities this might not be the case either but I know a loooooot of people that are working at Menards, Lowe's or not working at all b/c they couldn't find jobs.
I would suggest Nursing - tho that market is saturated also. But the one that seems to be where the jobs are needed is Respiratory Therapy. (personally I can't stand the hacking and mucus bleeehh)

Stacey, thank you for this post, because I really do appreciate it! I read that to (alot actually), but as you said, everything is saturated. Literally everything...including GOV'T jobs and wildlife jobs. It's all thanks to the economy. I NEVER thought it would be *EASY* per say to get a job, not at all, but as far as I'm concerned that is every field as of now. I honestly don't expect to get a job right after graduation of course. I am literally willing to move anywhere for a job, especially out west. ;)I am also willing to take crappy hours if it means I have a job. I just think this will be a better career then wildlife. Wildlife can always be a back-up. I heard much worse things about nursing to though, but then again I don't think I'd want to do that job.

I talked to my counselor today and after juggling my options decided this was the way to go. It's a 2 year wait for the program but he said it is going quickly because people haven't accepted it due to having to work full-time. I filled out the application, just have to take the HOBET test and take some other courses, which I can take next semester.

Kait, I hope I made an awesome decision. I think it is cool too. I will definitely post more about it when the time comes!

shais_mom
04-16-2012, 08:10 PM
your welcome - please feel free to PM me anytime you have questions, I can try
to help or answer them.

dab_20
04-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Radiologist Technician would be a good way to go. Most medical careers are pretty saturated unless you go for a master's degree. I wanted to be a vet tech but changed for the simple reason of HORRIBLE pay! (At least in Utah) Nursing is also saturated but if you get lots of patient experience and you have connections you can find a good job after. I'm pretty sure after I've worked as a nurse for a couple years I'm going back for my masters or doctorate.

My dad did radiology technology for many years and now does it as a second job. (he now has a masters in healthcare administration) Don't be surprised if you start off making 30,000 (less or more, depending on location) a year doing this. It doesn't make a ton of money but the nice thing is eventually you do. My dad has done it for about 15 years and makes about $35 an hour at his job. Not bad! It's also an interesting career and the schooling doesn't take all that long.
I would recommend you start off now and get some patient experience. One great way to go is get your CNA and start off there. Work as a CNA for a year and if you don't like it you can get other technician jobs that just require on the job trainings and certifications (patient technicians at hospitals, dialysis technicians, etc).

I figure you can still have a career doing something else and work with animals on the side, whether its fostering or volunteering, there is so many options :)

Good luck, Alyssa!

Cataholic
04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Often times, I hear young folks talking how you are talking. I can only share MY experience with you, and it is in very general terms:

1. The older you get, the more life gets in the way, and your academic goals/dreams/opportunities usually vaporize without great commitment on your part. Throw in bills, a child, a mate, whatever...and it is H.A.R.D. to further your education.

2. The more specialized, and less 'generic' your education, the less opportunity you have. Sure, there are exceptions, but I am talking in generalities here. A 2 year radiology degree is limiting. A four year biology degree is less limiting.

3. Two years rarely beats 4 years (or more) in the educational arena. See number 1 for the "then I will go back and get my BA".

4. Four years in something IS usually better than 2 years in anything. Again, generally.

5. When *I* hear, "I am thinking of switching my 4 year degree to a 2 year degree", I think: excuses, lack of support, fear, anxiety, lack of commitment, lack of drive.

I don't know you IRL, I have nothing to gain or lose by your life choices, but I can't stand to see ANYONE, let alone a young lady (call me sexist if you will) quit on herself, and that is what I see you doing.

I had one choice after high school- pick a four year college, and get to it. College (which meant a four year degree from an accredited school) was never, ever a choice. I have seven siblings, and a step brother and a step sister. Each of us has a four year degree, if not more, and each of us had/had the ability to support ourselves. That is worth a billion, right there.

Yeah, all these people will say they know so and so, and this has happened to so and so without a degree, and they can live on $25,000, and money isn't important, and they will do it later, and they don't have any idea on what they want to do, college isn't for everyone (what, some people don't deserve it?) and blah, blah,blah. Some of these people will call you a friend. I know, from where I am today, looking at my friends and acquaintances, hands down- the regret is ONLY there with the people that did NOT go to a 4 year college. I can't think of a single one of my friends that is glad they got a 2 year degree, over a four year degree, and doesn't spend time wishing they had done THEN what they could be doing now.

Believe in yourself enough to give yourself the very best you can give yourself. A four year degree in something, with some decent long term prognosis, with good projections for the future, and with some reasonable ability to support yourself.

Stay with your four year program. IF after that, you want to pursue something in the two year field do it. We can call it your master's. LOL.