PDA

View Full Version : Sticky spaghetti...

moosmom
04-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Other than adding oil to the cooking water, does anyone have any tricks on how to prevent spaghetti from sticking??? It's very annoying.

mrspunkysmom
04-10-2012, 04:51 PM
nope that's what I use. Another method would be great since rice flour spaghetti has no oomph/ I think the oil weighed it down.

caseysmom
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM
nope that's what I use. Another method would be great since rice flour spaghetti has no oomph/ I think the oil weighed it down.

Make sure not to overcook?

mrspunkysmom
04-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Make sure not to overcook?

Rice flour has no elasticity. Rice bread is very heavy,

pomtzu
04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Add it to the boiling water slowly, and stir it several times while cooking to keep it separated - and add the oil to the water too.

happylabs
04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Yes, don't overcook. I don't use oil in the water because then the sauce does not stick to the pasta.

Karen
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
As someone who is allergic to most kinds of cooking oil, I do not use any, just stir the pasta in the water while it is cooking every minute or so, and then the pasta goes from the strainer directly into the sauce afterwards - so there's no chance for it to stick.

If I were cooking the pasta for later use, so it needed to sit for a while once cooked, I'd toss it in a bit of butter to keep it from sticking together.

cassiesmom
04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Don't be like me-- I tend to choose too small a pot and cook the pasta in too little water. That results in goopy pasta for me.

lizbud
04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
I always add a dash of salt (from the shaker) to the boiling water, then add the spaghetti.:)

Cataholic
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Plenty of water keeps it all moving around, and nothing sticks here.

moosmom
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I did use a smaller pot than I usually do, so that's probably why it stuck.

Oh, and my pal Bartie LOOOOOVES spaghetti and sauce with grated cheese on it. Everytime I ate a fork full, he'd put his paw on my hand as if to say "my turn!!!"

happylabs
04-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I did use a smaller pot than I usually do, so that's probably why it stuck.

Oh, and my pal Bartie LOOOOOVES spaghetti and sauce with grated cheese on it. Everytime I ate a fork full, he'd put his paw on my hand as if to say "my turn!!!"

Now I'm hungry for spaghetti! Yum.

Buddy does the same thing with his paw. :)

ChrisH
04-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Use plenty of water in a big pan.
Add enough salt
Don't add oil
Wait until the water is boiling before adding pasta
Stir during cooking

http://www.cookingindex.com/info/18/features/how-to-cook-pasta-properly.htm

kittycats_delight
04-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Haven't read the thread so don't know what others have said but never add oil to the water. If pasta is cooked in a big enough pot with enough water and is not overcooked it will not be sticky.

Never add your pasta to cold water. Always bring a large pot of salted water to a boil before adding the pasta. Stir every few minutes & don't overcook. If the package says 12 minutes start checking (by tasting for texture) around 9 minutes in. Drain your pasta and only add oil at this point when you have returned it to the pot to prevent if from sticking together because it will start to stick together if it isn't mixed with sauce.

kittycats_delight
04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Use plenty of water in a big pan.
Add enough salt
Don't add oil
Wait until the water is boiling before adding pasta
Stir during cooking

http://www.cookingindex.com/info/18/features/how-to-cook-pasta-properly.htm

hehehehe, guess I should have read the replies before cooking. I tend to get a little nuts about the way pasta is cooked as there is nothing worse than bad pasta and nothing better than when it is cooked well.

Freedom
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Yep, they have it all covered~! :D

Bengalz
04-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Lots of water in a big pot, a little salt, stir it frequently while cooking and don't overcook. When done drain into a colander and rinse it with steaming hot water (removes any starch residue and makes it more pliable). Karen's advice is great: when you spaghetti has drained put it back in the pot, add a little butter (I usually add grated Parmesan cheese as well;) for flavour) and voila! it's done!!

redbird
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
What brand if spaghetti do you use, I use Ronzoni for all my pasta and on the box it says to add salt to the water to prevent sticking.