PDA

View Full Version : dogs at christmas time

primabella
11-16-2002, 09:00 AM
i was reading up on this website and it says that christmas is a very stressful time of the year, for both human and dogs. they mentioned how dangerous a tree and decorations can be and leaving the presents under. how do you guys handle your dogs at christmas? just curious for some ideas :D thanks :)

ps - i'm going tomarrow (sunday) to reserve one of the pups :D:D:D

aly
11-16-2002, 05:00 PM
My dogs pretty much leave the presents alone. I always wait until Christmas Eve to wrap their presents and put them under the tree because I KNOW they would get into those. They leave the tree alone too but I'm still sure to use safe ornaments and no tinsle. I guess I'm lucky that they aren't interested in messing around with stuff (unless its the trash can of course!!!!!!!)

Karen
11-16-2002, 05:14 PM
When my family had Gracie the Great Dane mix, we'd put a child's playpen up a distance around the Christmas tree for two reasons.

A - a Great Dane tail is a powerful thing, high up enough to knock off a LOT of ornaments, and not vert well connected to the brain or nerve centers - she, quite frankly, had have no idea her tail was whacking something, so it's not like we could train her NOT to wag near the tree.

B - we, like many, put Candy Canes on the tree - which happened to be the only "food" Gracie would literally drool over. She loooooved them, so to not risk the tree, it got put in a playpen and the candycane were put pretty high up. :)

Most of the presents were put there the last few days, the majority appearing Christmas night, so they didn't become a problem.

primabella
11-16-2002, 05:39 PM

Karen
11-16-2002, 06:54 PM
A puppy will want to chew things, so if you aren't "crating" the tree, make sure the lights are unplugged and the cord is OFF the floor whenever you go out of the room. Unbreakable ornaments are probably your best bet for this year at least.

One of the other stresses on pups at the holidays is lots of people have guests over, people coming and going ... if you are planning on hosting any sort of gathering, walk and play with the pup as much as you can just before it, so he/she will be exhausted. Make sure s/he does not get out when guests come in and again when they leave. If the pup isn't sleeping when your guests arrive, why not keep him/her on a leash for at least the first 15 minutes gusts are there.

If small children will be visiting, make sure they know the rules - no picking the pup up. No hugging and squeezing those fragile bones - puppy is NOT a stuffed toy. Petting is fine, pulling or poking is not, stuff like that.

primabella
11-16-2002, 08:58 PM
i won't be hosting any parties but my aunt might. they have an (adult i think) doberman pinscher. she is a sweetheart but gets excited easily. it wouldn't be a good idea to bring him over, would it? i was thinking we could because it's important to socialize early...or is a party to advanced for a puppy? i know there will be music, talking and laughing. oh, i am so lost! :rolleyes: thanks

RockyRoad
11-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Lady is on a leash so she basically cannot go to the presents:rolleyes:. I, on the other hand, still get presents even though I always help my mom put out everyone's presents under the tree in the middle of the night. It's actually kind of fun and I get to see how big my presents are, hehe. :D

primabella
11-16-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89
It's actually kind of fun and I get to see how big my presents are, hehe. :D

lol:D