PDA

View Full Version : Blackie Is Losing Too Much Weight

lizbud
04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Brought my cat Blackie to the Vet today because he has been losing weight
for a long time. At first I thought it was maybe a good thing because he was the
most chubby one in the bunch.But, he is close to looking like a bag of bones and
even losing some hair in spots around his ears and feet.:( The Vet thinks it hyperthyroidism.
I'm waiting for the results of blood tests he did today to come back later this week.

Blackie is pictured in this thread posted last year. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?165821-A-Few-Pictures-Of-My-Boys&highlight=blacky

Please say a few prayers that he can be helped back to good health again.

Karen
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Awww, we'll say a quick prayer that it is something fixable. How old is he now?

kuhio98
04-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Saying my prayers.

Willy hasn't lost any hair around his ears, but he has lost some on the back of his back feet. I wonder if that has anything to do with his kidney problems?

I hope the white coats get Blackie fixed up soon. Please keep us posted.

phesina
04-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Prayers and good warm wishes that Blackie will soon be back in good health.

It was so nice to revisit the old thread and see all your beautiful kitties again!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

lizbud
04-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Awww, we'll say a quick prayer that it is something fixable. How old is he now?

I brought him inside when Redbud & Mikey were about two months old & Blackie was approx 1 1/2 yrs old. I believe
Blackie is now about 13 yrs old.

Kuhio98,

Blackie also has hair loss on his ankles. The kidney is definately impacked by this condition. It has to
work harder because of increased water intake. The Vet said his heart was beating too fast & he detected
a heart murmur. He said all of the other organs have to work harder because of the thyroid problem .

lizbud
04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Prayers and good warm wishes that Blackie will soon be back in good health.

It was so nice to revisit the old thread and see all your beautiful kitties again!

Aww, thank you for the nice words about my sweet boys.:)

chocolatepuppy
04-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Prayers that Blackie doesn't have anything too serious going on.

krazyaboutkatz
04-04-2012, 12:49 AM
I hope that you'll be able to find out what's causing his weight loss. If it's hyperthyroidism, I hope he'll do well on the pills like my Storm's been doing. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

mrspunkysmom
04-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Good thoughts coming.

lizbud
04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
I hope that you'll be able to find out what's causing his weight loss. If it's hyperthyroidism, I hope he'll do well on the pills like my Storm's been doing. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

I do hope I hear back from the Vet today. I'm anxious to get started treating Blackie. I called the Vet's office to re-check his weight
again. His previous weight was 14.3 lbs, now this visit he was only 6.8 lbs.:( I hope I didn't wait to long to have him checked out, but
he acts normal. Has a good appetite and good potty habits,etc.

lizbud
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Vet called with results of the blood test and it's negative for hyperthyroidism. I'm glad about that, but still
want to know what is causing this weight loss. I'm taking Blackie back into the office tomorrow for more tests.

Catty1
04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
More prayers for Blackie!:love::love:

mrspunkysmom
04-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Praying that you and Blackie get quick results so Blackie can start feeling better. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

phesina
04-06-2012, 01:16 AM
More prayers and good health wishes for dear Blackie.

lizbud
04-06-2012, 04:29 PM
The Vet wants Blackie on a course of metronidazole. He thinks Blackie may not be getting the benefit
of the food he eats. He took his first pill easily. Takes 1/4 pill every 12 hours.

Catty1
04-06-2012, 09:32 PM
I looked up that drug, and among other things, it's used to fight protozoa, giardia, etc in an intestinal tract.

I hope Blackie starts getting full benefit from eating. Get better soon, Blackie! :love:

lizbud
04-07-2012, 12:02 PM
I looked up that drug, and among other things, it's used to fight protozoa, giardia, etc in an intestinal tract.

I hope Blackie starts getting full benefit from eating. Get better soon, Blackie! :love:

I think he suspects irritable bowel syndrome. I couldn't get Blackie to take his morning pill so I bought
some Greenies pill pockets to try next feeding. Really weight loss, scruffy looking hair & soft bms are
the only signs I've seen. He has not vomited that I can see & he has always had a big appetite.

The Vet Tech asked me if he grooms himself & I said yes but he is more interested in grooming
all the other cats instead.:)

chocolatepuppy
04-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I hope Blackie starts feeling better soon.

krazyaboutkatz
04-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Liz, you may also want to ask your vet about getting some vitamin B-12 injections. This will help with his appetite and also his fur. My RB Starr had IBD and also colitis and his fur looked terrible and his whiskers were also breaking off. My new vet at the time,she's now my current vet, took one look at him and said that he needs vitamin B-12 injections. They worked wonders for his whiskers and fur and also helped with his energy level. He did also have to take prednisolone but he had severe diarrhea so this may not be needed in Blackie's case. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.