PDA

View Full Version : Another whitecoat visit

Lady's Human
03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Well, Lady had her toenails trimmed today. I was late, and it was evidently bad behavior day at the office. The vet staff were nice enough to let me take Lady into an examination room to avoid all the ruckus. There was a police dog, who didn't like being there, and a German Shepherd Dog pup who evidently didn't like any other animals, among others. Oy.

Lady was a good pup, despite the tech missing her vein a couple times, and didn't even poop on anyone this time!

As we were leaving, I said hello to an elderly pup, he was a tan shorthaired lab mix of some description, who was very friendly despite having his hind leg in a soft walking boot.

Neither Lady nor I needed the antisocial pup, and when I asked the vet about the ruckus, she said it had been like that all day. Full moon for pups?

Karen
03-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Glad they were willing to let you and Lady avoid the ruckus! Gosh, you'd think a police dog would be well-trained enough to behave!

lizbud
03-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Maybe a storm was brewing. Weather often has a effect on animals before the human even notice
the weather change.

Indy has had bad t-storms every Fri for the past 3 weeks. I didn't notice the dark clouds approaching
but found Smokey laying in the bath room & knew a storm was coming.:)

SWHouston
03-31-2012, 01:02 AM
My two don't seem to be effected much by Storms (thunder/lightning). But let it start raining, and it's like pulling teeth to get them to go outside, they don't like to get rained on. What's funny about that is, that when we're along side the Bayou, they'll jump in a heartbeat to catch a Frog or Snake.
Go figure :confused:

chocolatepuppy
03-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Good girl Lady.:) My pups don't tend to start trouble at the vets, athough Jake seems to be looking for it.:rolleyes: Neither will start anything but let another dog start and they're ready to roll.

Lady's Human
04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Well, I really don't feel like updating this, but.....

Lady had another vet's visit today, she's been limping more lately, which was one of the reasons we made the visit to the whitecoats that started this thread.

She had to stay today and have xrays done, they took xrays of her foot and shoulder. The films are being evaluated by an outside radiologist, but the vet told me that it was either arthritis or bone cancer.

Prayers for the pup, please.

Karen
04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Prayers on the way! Give her a kiss for me, please!

chocolatepuppy
04-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers for Lady. Hopefully it's just arthritis.

caseysmom
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Just seeing this, hope you got some good news.

Lady's Human
05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
The radiologist hasn't gotten back to the vet yet......they're going to rattle their cages tomorrow.

Lady's Human
05-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Well, got a phone call from the vet, and it wasn't good news.

I'm going to have to go talk to them Tuesday.

chocolatepuppy
05-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Sending more pawsitive thoughts and prayers for Lady and your family.

cassiesmom
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, got a phone call from the vet, and it wasn't good news.

I'm going to have to go talk to them Tuesday.

Just checking in since it's Tuesday ... paws and fingers crossed.

Lady's Human
05-10-2012, 01:50 AM
What a week.

I intended to get to the Vet's office Tuesday, but it's been insane. I'm going to get there today or Friday, I'll update then.

Thank you for the prayers and thoughts.

Lady's Human
05-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Well, the radiology report is indicative of cancer, we're going to wait until mid june to do another xray to see how fast it's spreading.

Because of the type of cancer indicated by the radiologist, there's not much we can do except keep her pain free for as long as possible, which right now isn't an issue. (Right Patch? :p How's that wall feel?)

Karen
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Here's hoping it is a slow-growing kind. Give Lady a kiss on the noggin for me, please!

pomtzu
05-12-2012, 05:42 AM
So sorry to hear of Lady's diagnosis. Hopefully it's very slow growing and she will be able to be around for a long time to come. Prayers going out to Lady and crew from us here in DE.

BTW - how old is Lady?

kaycountrygal
05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Lady's health problem. I hope she can be happy and comfy for a long time. I know you'll do all you can to help her. It's so sad and upsetting to hear bad news about our beloved pets.

Karen
05-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I can answer that, Pomtzu, Lady is 12 years old.

4 Dog Mother
05-14-2012, 08:50 AM
I was sorry to read this about Lady. I hope it is the slow growing kind.

I was talking to Amy about fewer people coming to the Pet Talk gatherings and how I thought it was related to Phred's passing but she pointed out that all the dogs are so much older now and have slowed down so an entire day at the park is not so much fun for them anymore. There is not all the running and scuffling that there used to be --- and when I look at my dogs I realized how true that was. When we started these the dogs where all much younger and now they are all up there. Dazzi is 12 and Taggert is 10. And the older they get the more illnesses they seem to get. We will pray for Lady!

chocolatepuppy
05-14-2012, 09:14 PM
I hope Lady has quite a bit of time left with your family.

krazyaboutkatz
05-15-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Lady.:( I hope you can keep her comfortable and enjoy some good quality time with her.

cassiesmom
05-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Big prayers for Lady and family!

Lady's Human
11-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, we went back for another visit to the whitecoats today.

Lady is doing okay for an elderly pup with cancer. She's getting cataracts, which isn't a surprise to me, and we evidently have to cut back a bit on the treats, as she's gaining weight.

We suffered the indignity of having toenails trimmed as well.

On a happier note, we met 2 dogs from the Broome County animal shelter who were in for their pre going home checkups! One they both looked like (shapewise) 1/3 scale rotties with absolutely cotton soft fur. One was a gorgeous buckskin tan, the other was black with white chest markings. Lady was very sociable with them, and while they were puppy rambunctious, they were both very well behaved. Lady even let me scritch the ears of the pups, though I did get a rather indignant interrogation when we got home. I hope they do well in their new homes, they were both certainly good deserving dogs.

Karen
11-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Good to hear she is doing pretty well despite the cancer, and survived the indignity of the toenail trim!

Must have been fun seeing those pups, and knowing they were on their way to new homes!

Lady's Human
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
The smaller one reminded me briefly of Lady when she was a pup. I wanted to dognap him and take him home.....Patch deserves a puppy.

Karen
11-27-2012, 01:05 PM
The smaller one reminded me briefly of Lady when she was a pup. I wanted to dognap him and take him home.....Patch deserves a puppy.

But if you got an indignant greeting when you came home with just the scent of the pups on you, can you imagine his reaction to another critter as bouncy and enthusiastic as himself? ;)

Lady's Human
11-27-2012, 01:09 PM
The indignant sniff was from Lady, not Patch.

Patch evidently couldn't care less.

lizbud
11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
I am sorry that I didn't keep up with this thread & did not know about Lady's diagnosis.:( It does
sound like she is still being her sweet self & that's good. My last time at the Vet with Smokey, the Vet
referred to him as an "old man". It caught me by surprise until I realized he is 10yrs old now. I never
think of age when I think of any of my animals but time catches up with us all I guess.

cassiesmom
11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Thoughts, prayers and hugs for Lady!

Lady's Human
12-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, Lady is doing quite well at the moment, as evidenced by Patch's repeated failure at ambushing the old girl.

The vet wants to take another Xray of the suspicious leg, but I'm hesitant to do so as it would involve another round of anesthesia. (and I have just been informed via a shredded tissue that I need to scritch the puppy!)

cassiesmom
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Yay, Lady, I am glad to know you are doing well! Please have your human give you some extra skritchies from me. Some for Patch too, please. If you do end up having the x-ray with anesthesia I hope it goes smoothly.

Lady's Human
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
And someone continues to do quite well, thank you.

We had her in the whitecoats today for bloodwork related to her pain meds, and a toenail trim. Bloodwork is fine, and for a first, she absolutely schmoozed the vet tech who took the blood and trimmed toenails.

Between that and Trillian and Patch sharing my lap, I'm wondering if there's a full moon out?

Lady's Human
03-09-2013, 08:40 AM
:(

I just had to make someone chicken and rice to get her to eat something besides the skin from the fish we had last night.

Prayers, please. She's making me worry.

cassiesmom
03-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Saying prayers today and sending (((HUGS)))) Please eat, sweety, please.

robinh
03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Sending lots of prayers!

Karen
03-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Prayers on the way for my doggy niece!

pomtzu
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Of course - many prayers are headed your way from DE.

Mangia - mangia, Lady!

chocolatepuppy
03-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Prayers headed out for Lady...

krazyaboutkatz
03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Lady's way.

ChrisH
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Prayers on the way.

Lady's Human
03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts.

Lady had a small batch of chicken and rice for dinner tonight, and so far, so good.

Karen
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Aww, to quote the Maurice Sendak book:

In March the wind blows down the door
and spills my soup upon the floor
It laps it up and roars for more!
Blowing once, blowing twice
blowing chicken soup with rice.

More chicken (soup) with rice, Lady?

Lady's Human
03-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Someone is sedated and on IV drips at the Vet's office.

Pancreatitis, most likely because she just can't eat what she used to anymore. I think it was a confluence of the pain meds, and a "new formula" on her dog food as well as her usual extracirricular diet.

Now to find a new dog food.......Yeay. Anyone need 20 or so pounds of Nutro herring/potato dog food?

Karen
03-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Yikes, poor Lady. Feel better, pretty girl!

Maybe the local shelter can use the leftover food ...

cassiesmom
03-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Big prayers for Lady and her humans! (((HUGS)))

Lady's Human
03-11-2013, 11:44 PM
On the plus side, Lady made yet another friend at the Vet's office, and the woman was VERY surprised that Lady is 13 years old. I was impressed that she didn't poop or piddle on the vet, which marks a first for a visit with that particular doc.

I had to laugh at part of my conversation with the Vet, he said "I'm just a vet, they trust me with lives, not money." :p

ChrisH
03-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Poor Lady, and you.

Went through something a little similar with my Bobs and our solution was wet food all the way. He was a happy camper, bless him, me not so much because the poop consequence was not pleasant. :) Got it under control with meds though.

Prayers and good thoughts continuing for your beautiful girl.

pomtzu
03-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Prayers and good vibes continuing for Lady. :love:

chocolatepuppy
03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Continued prayers for Lady...