PDA

View Full Version : Patio ideas, please

Freedom
03-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Not sure what I need, a patio, or what.

The "landing area" from the back door to the back yard is such that we all - humans and dogs - hit the same place. There is a big "dent" there. Then, the area closest has no grass growing, as it gets way too much traffic. Plus in bad weather, the dogs just pee there and run back inside.
And of course in bad weather this is all mud. With 5 white dogs, I do not like mud!

Last year I put down 6 bags of soil and on top of that, strips of sod, that lasted about 6 weeks. The landing area died first. Again, just too much traffic for grass to grow there.

I can't figure out what to put there. In the winter - well, in the winters when we get snow! - I have to take the snow blower out back to make a trail for these small dogs. So a lot of bricks won't work, too many bumps for the blower, and those need to be reset often, from what I hear.

I'd love some ideas! Here are 3 photos, one from inside looking out, (seems that is the 3rd photo) one from back in the yard, and one close up so you can see that one landing spot.

Karen
03-24-2012, 06:00 PM
What about a flagstone patio of sorts? A wooden deck would require more maintenance, and not be good for the pooches to pee on, and a pea stone area would just get thrown by the snowblower in winter, but if you choose a darker flagstone, it will heat up in the sun to help keep ice away in the winter. Planting some moss or grass between the stones and it's even be eco-friendly-ish!

Freedom
03-24-2012, 06:50 PM
OK, say flagstone. Now, I think I need to come out about 3 or 4 feet, and extend it up and down (right and left) a good bit also. That would help avoid this "landing area" wouldn't it?

I need to look into that, and find out what I use for a base - soil, pebbles or some mix of both.

Pinot's Mom
03-25-2012, 06:40 AM
I might opt for a more textured "paver". I can't see what's above it, but I'd be willing to bet you have an area of the roof that runs off to that spot as well. When that happens you'll NEVER get anything to grow. I know from whence I speak; we have a spot like that as well (not as large, and not with the doggie addition, but same problem). The textured material would be better suited for that runoff (IMO).

pomtzu
03-25-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm thinking just a plain cement patio, large enough to cover the problem area. That's what we did off the back porch area where there would always be standing water after a ran, and of course the mud that goes along with it. It would probably be the least expensive and longest lasting way to go too, tho cement is by no means cheap. Also hassle free when you need to use the snow blower. If you don't like the blah ho-hum look of the plain cement, you could always imbed some colorful pieces of flagstone in it too.

Karen
03-25-2012, 12:12 PM
The advantage of the darker flagstone is it's ability to retain heat far better than cement, which is more important further North, where we (most years anyway) spend much of the winter worrying about snow and ice. Even the melt from the sun on the roof will drip and form ice on a cold surface, but the warmer stone will help it just run off, still liquid, as the sun warms it, too!

Cataholic
03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
I would build a small deck, with that composite thar requires no maintanence

Freedom
03-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Maggie, wow, right on! Gives me more to think about!

Johanna, a DECK? It's all the same one level. That's why I started with a "patio or whatever."

Cataholic
03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Same level or not, I would build a deck with that composite decking, 4 inches or even 3 inches off ground. Way easier to maintain then pavers, and prolly less expensive, too. From the pics you posted, seems easy enough to do.

Freedom
03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Hmmm . . . I'll have to think on it, trying to picture it in my mind.