PDA

View Full Version : I feel AWFUL about this...

pomtzu
03-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I just learned that my best friend for about 10 years of my adult life, passed away last March - a year ago! - and I didn't know anything about it. She and her (then) husband, and me and my (then) husband were very close, but we 2 ladies more so than the guys. We all went on camping trips together, spent holidays together, and just in general, hung out a lot together. I can't even say how many hundreds of hours Joyce and I spent at the dining room table, along with that darn Scrabble game. And those two just adored my two boys, and were like another set of parents to them as they had no children of their own. I never had to worry about day care, as Joyce didn't work and insisted on watching the kids while I worked. There was only one problem with our association with them - Tommy was one of the world's biggest bigots! I could ignore him and turn him off when he got to spouting off, but the problem arose when my kids started getting bigger and could somewhat understand the concept of what was being said. My ex and I spoke to Tommy several times about taming it in front of the kids, but to no avail. Since we didn't want our kids subjected to any of that, eventually we just stopped hanging out with them and we went our separate ways. Some years later Joyce and Tommy divorced, but we never reconnected - I was busy with my own failing marriage, raising 2 teenage sons, working full time, all while trying to keep some semblance of order in my own household, and then Joyce struck up a relationship with another man that lasted till she died, tho they never married. My hubby and I also went our separate ways when our boys were grown and on their own.
I always wanted to get back together with Joyce - we had such great times together and she was such a good friend, but this new partner of hers - I don't know - just something I couldn't put my finger on. I had only seen her a few times over the past 15 years or so - and usually just bumping into her in a store. And what makes it even worse, is that she lives less than a half mile from my house on the same road I do, and every time I get in my car to go somewhere, I drive right past her house. Which brings me to how I learned of her passing.
For the past month or so, I've noticed a new car parked in her driveway - a very small body style car. That in itself isn't anything strange, but the fact that Joyce is a VERY large woman (morbidly obese) is, and there is no way on earth she would ever be able to get into a car that small. I mentioned it to my son a couple of days ago, and he said he had noticed and thought the same thing.
So on a hunch this morning, I Google'd obituary, her name, and state - and there it was! It is definitely her - same town, same d.o.b., same particulars. I just sat here and cried! Why did I let all those years go by, and at least not stop by the house and chat when I saw her outside, or send a card on her birthday, etc. It would probably never have been the same as it was years ago, but we still could have stayed in touch. I wish I had at least been able to say good-bye to her on the day of her funeral.
I feel like such a rotten "friend". :(

Freedom
03-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Ellie, I am so sorry to read this.

Friends do grow apart at times, and the togetherness that was shared is always so special. It stays with you no matter what.

There is a phrase (if I can remember it right) about friends coming into our lives for a reason, a season, or forever. Joyce and you connected at the time when it was meant to be, when it was right for both of you. That is so special!

I am sorry for your loss.

kuhio98
03-24-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a shock!

For the past month, I've a sticky in my purse reminding me to call a friend. We reconnected last year after not seeing each other for over 10 years. She and her husband are busy raising 3 sons and I've been busy with Bobcat and working in Prudhoe. I kept waiting for life to slow down, but it just keeps zooming right along.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm calling Katie today!

Karen
03-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Don't feel bad for long, after all, friendship works both ways. Maybe you can connect with one of her kids, and you can visit her at the cemetery and say good-bye there. I bet her kids might appreciate that, and it would give you a little closure.

pomtzu
03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
She never had any children, Karen, but I will visit the cemetery and see if I can find her resting place. She loved flowers and gardening, so I'll take her a nice Spring plant and have a chat with her.

Karen
03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
She never had any children, Karen, but I will visit the cemetery and see if I can find her resting place. She loved flowers and gardening, so I'll take her a nice Spring plant and have a chat with her.

If you call the office for the cemetery, they can give you the location of the plot, which is always better than wandering, especially in some of the larger cemeteries.

kaycountrygal
03-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Oh My! I'm sorry. I can tell from your post that you are upset about it. I suppose she could have contacted you but she didnt. I dont know what else to say except I'm sorry for your loss. Try not to blame yourself too much. ((Hugs)) Kay

lizbud
03-24-2012, 05:01 PM

I think that is a very good idea. I do that with my Mom sometimes.