PDA

View Full Version : Doggone it - Rivers heading home after nearly four years

Catty1
03-24-2012, 11:05 AM
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120323/CGY_dog_gone_120323/20120323/?hub=CalgaryHome

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20120323/430_dog_rivers_120323_430241.jpg?2

Updated: Fri Mar. 23 2012 18:01:26

ctvcalgary.ca

A dog named Rivers has been on an incredible journey and is heading home after nearly four years.

Rivers was snatched from his owners' yard outside of Little Rock, Arkansas when he was just a puppy.

The Lab was found running loose in the city's southwest and was picked up by Bylaw and Animal Services.

"We brought him in here and scanned him and sure enough he had a microchip. And when we ran the chip in the computer it bounced to an address in Arkansas," said Bill Bruce.

Officers with animal services investigated further, made a few phone calls and found Rivers original owner.

Dr. Mary Sue Farmer never thought she would see her dog again.

"We did everything for months looking for that dog. Flyers, called every vet clinic, pet finder. We did everything," said Farmer.

Rivers moved around after he was stolen, travelling from Arkansas to Oregon and finally Alberta.

His name was changed to Buddy when he was innocently adopted by a man in Oregon.

The man's girlfriend happens to be Canadian and when she recently visited Calgary with the canine in tow, the dog wandered off.

Someone found him, took him to a veterinarian clinic and they called animal services.

Arrangements have been made to fly Rivers home early next week and his family is already planning a big welcome home celebration.

VIDEO EXTRA: Janet Dirks interview goes to the dogs.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YKYNAttitAs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lizbud
03-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow, what a journey he had. Thank heavens for microchips.:)

Freedom
03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Just amazing!

That microchip, so . . . either he never saw a vet, all those years, or no one ever thought to check if he was really owned by the person who brought him in.

So what are vets to do, scan each and every dog they see? Each pet they see for the first time? Hmmmm

His family must be so surprised, shocked and excited!

kaycountrygal
03-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I suppose this is good news for the original owners. Article said he was stolen when he was a puppy. Also read or heard that he was eventually adopted & called Buddy. I wonder if Buddy loves his present owner, the one he'll have to leave.

Do you think after 4 yrs he will remember his original owner? Afer all, he was a puppy when he was taken.

Catty1
03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Looks like his current caretakers agreed. Here's an update.

http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=523082

The last time Peter Farmer saw his chocolate lab Rivers he was just a puppy.

At five months he was snatched from Farmer's backyard in Fayetteville.

"I came home and the gate was wide open, someone had unhooked the latch and he was gone."

For weeks they searched, but eventually gave up hope.

"Three years later, I got a phone call from Canada."

"He said, "Rivers" has been found. I went, "You're kidding.""

It turns out Rivers, re-named Buddy, belonged to a couple in Oregon who'd innocently adopted him through an acquaintance.

They lost him on a visit to Calgary, Canada where the boundless boy was turned over to animal services.

"We brought him in here and scanned him and sure enough, it had a microchip, which bounced to an address in Arkansas."

Rivers' current caretakers agreed, it was time for him to head home.

Tuesday Rivers will hop aboard a plane bound for Arkansas, into the waiting arms of his first family.

Now a seasoned traveler across two countries and two thousand miles, first things first.

"(We'll) teach him to talk so he can tell us what's happened in the last three and a half years of his life."

But while we may never know his whole journey, the Farmers say home is where he'll stay.

"We're excited, we're ready for him to come home!"

Digi
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Just amazing!

That microchip, so . . . either he never saw a vet, all those years, or no one ever thought to check if he was really owned by the person who brought him in.

So what are vets to do, scan each and every dog they see? Each pet they see for the first time? Hmmmm

His family must be so surprised, shocked and excited!

There is no rule, guide, or law to make vets or shelters scan a new dog at their office. I learned this after i bought the chip for my old dog & then he was brought to a strange vet against my wishes and destroyed behind my back.