PDA

View Full Version : Question re. dogs and balconies

Kirsten
03-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Some of you may know my parents' rottie, Emma. This weekend, my parents are visiting my sister, and Emma is with them. Spoke to them on the phone this morning, and was told that Emma is spending a lot of her time on my sister's balcony; she also has her food there. My sister lives in the third floor, so it would be a long way to fall, in case Emma jumps over the railing. She's not used to balconies, I don't think she ever saw one before.

I told my mom that I think it's dangerous, especially since Emma is not on the leash, but of course she didn't take me serious (as usual, it's been like this for all my life), and the telephone call ended with an argument.

Now my question: Am I just paranoid? :o

Freedom
03-24-2012, 08:05 AM
I think you did right pointing out a possible hazard. Especially for a dog who is not used to a balcony!

My Tasha, the puppy mill rescue, once thought she could jump out the open window from the back seat, then jump in the front driver's window, to get to me. WHILE I WAS DRIVING! I'd only had Tasha a short time, so cars and drops where all new to her. She did jump out the back window, I saw her in my side driver's window. ARGH!!! I stopped and thank goodness no cars behind me, going slow on a neighborhood side street. I know she was startled by the "slam" she took landing on her feet on the street. She just stood there waiting for me to run over and pick her up. I've never allowed the back windows to be open more than a crack since then (going on 3 years). It scared her so much to this day she will not jump in or out of the car, I have to lift her in and out. THREE YEARS LATER.

So that is one clear example of a dog with no experience not understanding height issues. Good job making them aware of this, Kirsten!

Kirsten
03-24-2012, 08:12 AM
I think you did right pointing out a possible hazard. Especially for a dog who is not used to a balcony!

My Tasha, the puppy mill rescue, once thought she could jump out the open window from the back seat, then jump in the front driver's window, to get to me. WHILE I WAS DRIVING! I'd only had Tasha a short time, so cars and drops where all new to her. She did jump out the back window, I saw her in my side driver's window. ARGH!!! I stopped and thank goodness no cars behind me, going slow on a neighborhood side street. I know she was startled by the "slam" she took landing on her feet on the street. She just stood there waiting for me to run over and pick her up. I've never allowed the back windows to be open more than a crack since then (going on 3 years). It scared her so much to this day she will not jump in or out of the car, I have to lift her in and out. THREE YEARS LATER.

So that is one clear example of a dog with no experience not understanding height issues. Good job making them aware of this, Kirsten!

Thanks a lot for your reply, Sandie, and wow, what a scary incident that must have been - both for Tasha and you!

I was also suspecting that dogs have no understanding of heights. :( I'm only afraid it didn't help one bit that I tried to point that out. Instead, I have just once again proven (in their opinion) that I'm the freak who's seeing something bad in everything they do. Well, I just hope Emma will make it safe through this weekend!

lizbud
03-24-2012, 11:27 AM
I think you were right to give them a warning about being 3 stores up and
leaving Emma alone on the balcony. Having her leashed would be just as bad
because she could slip & hang herself with it.:(

You have made your concerns known, I would just trust them to hear the
warning & keep it in mind while they are there. Since your already said it
and they have heard it, I'd try to not worry anymore about it. (easier said then done,I know)

Karen
03-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Now that you have warned them, they will probably keep a closer eye on the situation without even realizing it, so you've done a good thing. I'd be more worried with a terrier than a Rottie, some dogs just don't even realize all four paws can leave the ground at once.

Digi
03-25-2012, 12:08 PM
This is why most buildings (or it could be a bylaw, not sure) do not allow pets to be on the baclony alone or at all.

Too many have fallen to their deaths and too many have been hung by their leash for the world to see.

I dont allow any of my dogs or the cat on the balcony. I know i wouldnt be fast enough to catch them. I also dont want to be put into that situation. So only the plants and adults are allowed out there.