PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop an escaping kitty?

Sowa
03-23-2012, 02:56 PM
This time of year, my cat, Shadow, LOVES to be outside. I live on the corner of 3 roads, there are foxes around everywhere, and I just don't want him to be an outdoor kitty. I like to know he is safe. SO, I built him a cat pen. It's not very big, but I put a kitty door on the window, so he can go outside any time he wants and eat grass, or sit in the sun. This of course isn't good enough :rolleyes: In the summer I also like to take him outside with me on a long leash in the main part of the yard. This probably isn't a good idea cause he escapes ALL the time.

If I'm not watching carefully for him when I let the dogs out or go in/out the front door he will run outside. He's very sneaky too. He will hide somewhere, and the second you're not looking he takes off out the door. Thankfully, he usually stays in the yard and I can go grab him and take him back in. I'm worried about OTHER people coming and going though. My boyfriend has friends who come over a lot, and they don't like cats. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't notice him run out the door. They certainly wouldn't go pick him up. One guy thinks it's gross just being in the room with a cat.

So is there ANY thing I can do to stop this? Should I not take him out at all on on his harness? He just loves it outside I hate to not let him out at all but the escaping is getting out of control. I'd really like it to stop not only for his safety but it's a pain having to go look for him. Especially late at night - he's a black kitty!

Freedom
03-23-2012, 04:34 PM
My first cat, RB Amber, was an outdoor kitty I rescued and brought in. I took him out on his harness daily - he insisted! He knew that the only time he was allowed out was with the harness on. Point: I don't think you need to worry about taking your cat out on the harness.

You say he can escape from the harness. THAT is not good, you should find a harness he can't escape. Try the Rope N Go harness:
http://www.ubraidit.com/supplies-thumbs.php?cat=81

For darting, keep a water squirt bottle near the door. You will soon learn to pick it up before you open the door to allow the dogs out, and then you can deflect him (with some quick action, lol) You should also squirt him ANY time he goes near the door, even if it is not open.

Is the yard fenced in? You can make it more secure, so it is more difficult for the cat to get out of the fenced area.

As for other folks letting the cat out, that is a huge concern. Can you put the cat in a bedroom when folks are over?

Karen
03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Definitely try the squirt bottle, and if necessary, put a prominent not inside the door where anyone will see it it who's about to leave saying "Be aware of the cat - he may try to get outside, which is not allowed! Use this spray bottle - arrow to where it is - to dissuade him if he tries. Thanks for your cooperation."

Pinot's Mom
03-24-2012, 07:12 AM
As far as when people are coming over, I do have notes, as Karen said. I printed a small picture of a kitty and typed on it, "Please don't let the kitty out." - they're covered with clear packing tape, and any time we had people over, I put one on each side of every door to the outside, right at eye level. I don't use them anymore, as everyone is well aware of Pinot's presence, but they did serve as a good reminder the first couple of years.

When it's just you at home, you just have to be vigilant, that's all. Kitties do learn; you have to make it obvious that door darting is not allowed.

Good luck!

happylabs
03-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Buddy always tried to get out and did manage to get out a couple times before I got him a harness and leash. Only thing is, when you take a cat out once, they will want to go out every day and bug you until you take them out. :D

When I started taking Bud out on his leash once a day he stopped hanging by the door so much. He got into a routine. Every night after dinner was time to walk the kitty. There way no way to forget this either...he would remind me.

Sowa
03-24-2012, 03:30 PM
I do use a spray bottle, but like I said he is sneaky and he knows the SECOND you're not looking and makes a break for it. I honestly don't always think about it either though.

As for the sign, everyone who comes over knows the cat can't go outside. It's just that one of my boyfriends friends HATES cats, I just wonder if he'd bother to mention the cat got out. I know he wouldn't go back out and pick the cat up and bring him back in for sure.

I just wish I could keep him from trying to escape all together. I know when I stop using the spray he would start again.

Bibette & Lulu
03-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Bitty is ready to charge any time we are heading out the door (unless she's sleeping in the back bedroom :)). And it's especially fun when I'm trying to get my partner in or out the door in her wheelchair - we've had Bitty charge right between the wheels!!! Lately, we use a broom that's at the door to discourage her - Lois will use it to block the path under the wheelchair. I have used it myself when going/coming to block the opening, since she can dodge my leading foot. Lately, she sees me pick up the broom and she turns around and heads back down the hallway.

I had thought I had her trained to come when I called - but she has selective hearing when she is outside:rolleyes:. I was trying to train her to come for a treat when I shake the package - but again - she has a different agenda when she's outside. Usually, she tries to do something "bad" (like climbing to the top of the bookcases in the den) when she wants my attention. I walk out of the room and she's jumping down to follow me!! Worked one time outside. She got by me and I closed the door and didn't try to get her - next thing I knew, she was at the deck door crying to be let in. 'Course, she may have had a little run-in with a squirrel :eek::eek: .

I have tried the halter/leash (I need to get a new one - she's filled out a little sice I got this one) - but she's more interested in fighting the restraint than enjoying the great outdoors. Will keep trying.

Interesting thing is that she is more assertive about getting out than our newest addition - Puff - who was previously primarily an outdoor cat. She'll look at me with her "Please, ma?" but isn't pawing at doors or windows, as I expected she would when I don't give in. Go Figure!!

B&L&P's Mom2

catmandu
03-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Even with the Moose Memorial Porch Enclosure My Cats to to escape , especially now that spring has arrived.
Add to the fact that I have a waker now, and as Arte Johnson used to say things are really interesting:):)
Good luck with you escapees, I pray I can limit mine to the Cats who are at least used to the outdoors.:):)

Catty1
03-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Can you set a baby gate near the door? Yes, kitty can get through it, but it would slow down the dash and still allow the dogs to get out.

Maybe enlarge the outdoor pen. Are there shelves or anything to climb on/play with?

And definitely get a better harness!

Good luck.