PDA

View Full Version : THURSDAY 474 - IS IT SPRING YET? (or fall, for our friends south of the equator)

catland
03-22-2012, 02:34 PM
You wouldn't know it in Orygun - we actually had snow last night! Snow in spring? I need something warm until spring arrives. Good thing I had a spare key to the bar.

What's your pleasure?

cassiesmom
03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
It's mild out in Chicago! 75 degrees! How about iced tea, I will put the water on to boil and put the tea in the pot.

Karen
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
It has been spring a month or so early here in the Boston area - 80 degrees or high seventies all week! It's just odd, and I do not trust it one bit!

I'll make you some hot cocoa with cinnamon, cat land, and have some of that iced yes for myself!

Queen of Poop
03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
It has been snowing off and on all day today and expect more of the same tomorrow. Think I'll snuggle up beside the fire with a cup of tea and lavish some pets on Lady.

pomtzu
03-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Way too warm too early here - been in the upper 70's (but back to the 50's-60's next week), and I've been in capris and sandals all week! :D The state is already spraying for mosquitoes and Sparky is not happy that the big noisy bird (helicopter) has been buzzing around here for a couple of hours.

I made potato salad - Pennsylvania Dutch style - if anyone would care for some, and help yourself to the raspberry green tea too. Summertime cuisine!

Pinot's Mom
03-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Way too warm too early here - been in the upper 70's (but back to the 50's-60's next week), and I've been in capris and sandals all week! :D The state is already spraying for mosquitoes and Sparky is not happy that the big noisy bird (helicopter) has been buzzing around here for a couple of hours.

I made potato salad - Pennsylvania Dutch style - if anyone would care for some, and help yourself to the raspberry green tea too. Summertime cuisine!

I'm with you! Same weather here, but we don't have the whirlybird, though. Can I add PaDutch Macaroni Salad? Love that stuff!

pomtzu
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm with you! Same weather here, but we don't have the whirlybird, though. Can I add PaDutch Macaroni Salad? Love that stuff!

I'm with ya' - love PA Dutch food. Growing up in RI I never heard of it, but my ex's mother was from PA and I quickly became acquainted with it! Now I want some Shoo-Fly Pie............

momoffuzzyfaces
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
It's been raining all week here with temps in the 50s and 60s. Quite a change from the 80s we had last week. The weather people probmise we will have sunshine and 70s Saturday and Sunday. :D

In the meantime, can I have some of that hot chocolate? :love:

catland
03-22-2012, 06:16 PM
momo - hot chocolate - DONE:cool:

iced tea? hot tea? all sounds great. Potato salad sounds yummy. What exactly is Pennyslvania Dutch style? Is it anything like hot German Potato salad?

Hot, cold, inbetween - good thing the bar is well stocked.

pomtzu
03-23-2012, 07:24 AM
.What exactly is Pennyslvania Dutch style? Is it anything like hot German Potato salad?

The Dutch and Germans had large settlements in Pa, so I would suppose the food would be a combo of both.

Yes similar, only served cold. Not made with any mayo - it has a cooked dressing of sugar, vinegar, yellow mustard, eggs, and it takes on the yellow color of the mustard. A lot of people use bacon & drippings in it, but I don't. I always stayed with my MIL's recipe, and she didn't use it. I figured she knew more of that style of cooking than this old Italian gal from New England! :p

Pinot's Mom
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
For your reading pleasure (thank you Wikipedia):
Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine is the typical and traditional fare of the Pennsylvania Dutch, and it has had a considerable influence on the areas in which they originally settled, Central and Southeastern Pennsylvania, as well as the neighboring areas that they have migrated to over time. Though its base strongly reflects their German heritage, it has developed into a distinctly different cuisine over the centuries that they have lived in America; it also manifests their simple, largely agricultural lifestyles, the resources made available to them in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, as well as the various regional and religious backgrounds from which they stem. As they hated to waste anything, Pennsylvania Dutch cooks often made use of food parts otherwise discarded, including pig organs and scraps and watermelon rind. Even today, Amish diets are considerably low in processed foods.

A common aspect of Pennsylvania Dutch meals, especially maintained by Amish families today, is a centuries-old emphasis on the seven sweets and seven sours, stemming from archaic European custom and the belief that everything should be properly balanced. Before the typically large families, and especially in the presence of company, seven various pickled foods, relishes, and spreads were laid out on the table alongside the starchy, hearty, filling dishes as part of the evening meal. These delicacies were enjoyed as accompaniments or by themselves. In the absence of refrigeration, they could be prepared in the summer and preserved in jars through the winter months. Beyond the home, some tourist-oriented restaurants and annual festivals in Pennsylvania Dutch Country celebrate this tradition.

pomtzu
03-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Yup - pig organs! How about some hog maw, Maggie? I refused to eat that, and MIL just modified New Year's dinner to pork and sauerkraut.

Queen of Poop
03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
As the snow begins again (and is supposed to continue all weekend) I'm making yet another cup of tea. Anyone else?

catland
03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
oh my - its starting to finally warm up around here - <sigh> - nevermind, just another hot flash.:eek:

QP - I'll have some of that tea. Wait - its Friday now at Thursdays - I think its time to dust off the blender and make some slushies!:D:D any takers?

Karen
03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I'll have a cup of tea with you, it was lovely here today, but not so hit that iced would be in order. Anyone up for some cookies with their tea? I've got some blueberry ones to share.

pomtzu
03-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Our weeklong taste of summer with temps around 80, came to a screeching halt yesterday. Chilly, rainy and just plain YUK! It's clearing now, but temps will be in the 50's and low 60's all week. I'm back in sweatshirts again! :(

Anyone care to join me for some rib sticking, belly warming, beef stew and cornbread? I've got brownies in the oven for dessert too.......

Karen
03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Beef stew sounds perfect, I'll take some? And cornbread, too! Thanks for sharing!

pomtzu
03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
My pleasure, Karen. Enjoy! :) And now to add insult to injury, there are freeze warnings up for tomorrow night into Tuesday a.m. Not good news, with everything budding or already in bloom!

Queen of Poop
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Typical Alberta spring day - heavy snowfall warning. We've seen a continuous rain/snow mix so far today, as evening and cooler temps come it will likely become just straight snow, with a lovely layer of ice underneath. How much we'll get - who knows, the experts can't seem to agree. I was going to put on some tea, any takers?

Lady's Human
03-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Tea sounds good, cold and windy here in NY. Tomorow is supposed to be sunny, I'll be spending part of the day replacing the mailbox. Such fun.

pomtzu
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Tea sounds good, cold and windy here in NY. Tomorow is supposed to be sunny, I'll be spending part of the day replacing the mailbox. Such fun.

Mailbox bashers at work? We haven't had any of those go by here in a long time. Hope I didn't jinx my long run of good luck by saying that.

Coffee or hot chocolate to share on this cold and windy day. A freeze likely tonight. BRRRR......:mad:

Karen
03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I'll take some more hot chocolate, can I have some cinnamon in mine? And little marshmallows, since I cannot have them in real life!

Pinot's Mom
03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Is there any stew left? Bit chilly here today. Sorry I haven't been 'round as much, lots of work...

RICHARD
03-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Like, what is this weather all about?

I am more confused than ever.

In the last four weeks there has been snow, thunder storms, tornadoes, 80 degree heat and rain.

And I thought Cali was a crazy place?;)

-------------------------

A round for the patrons!

Done!

Karen
03-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the East, Richard. When you're feeling really brave, try a season on the New England coast!

RICHARD
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
LH,

Don't be such a wimp.

Someone tried to run over our mailbox, the problem with that?

The mailbox is on the wall next to the front door and instead of hitting it?

The car ran into the front room!

I much rather put up a mailbox on the street, than a whole front wall to the house?;):p:o

--------

How's about a breakfast scramble.

Jalapeno and cheese brats, onion, bellpeppers, eggs and tomatos, rye toast and a cup of coffee or tea?

DONE?

momoffuzzyfaces
03-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Aha, Richard are you a Storage Wars fan? Barry is my favorite character on that show. Dave, I'd like to smack with a YUUUP!!! :D

It's in the 80s here but finally drying out after an entire week of rain. yay

Could I have a cherry limeade, in honor of my first yard mowing of the season? :love:

RICHARD
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Aha, Richard are you a Storage Wars fan? Barry is my favorite character on that show. Dave, I'd like to smack with a YUUUP!!! :D

It's in the 80s here but finally drying out after an entire week of rain. yay

Could I have a cherry limeade, in honor of my first yard mowing of the season? :love:

I love Storage Wars. Most of the areas I am familiar with and I love seeing some of the areas around El Lay.

I think Barry is my long lost twin. He has my sense of humor. I dislike Dave, too. He's a real mean moron.

-----------------------

We went by the house to see the progress, We should be back home in a week.

I need to mow the lawn myself, the front yard is a mess with dandelions.......So, in honor of all your hard work?

One Cherry Limeade, DONE!

Lady's Human
03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, Mailbox has been replaced. I trusted the boy with the pick and mattock and everyone's feet and fingers are still intact.

If someone hits it again they're going to know it. Time for a drink and a nap.

Karen
03-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Well, Mailbox has been replaced. I trusted the boy with the pick and mattock and everyone's feet and fingers are still intact.

If someone hits it again they're going to know it. Time for a drink and a nap.

Resort to cast iron pipe like at the house we grew up with? ;)

catland
03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
I'll take one of those breakfast scrambles if there are any left.

Well, the snow is gone, but there's more rain on the way - here's my weekend weather forecast:

today - high of 55, rain.
tomorrow, high of 53, rain.
Friday, high of 53, rain.
Saturday, breezy, high of 54, rain.

fun, fun, fun.

Storage Wars is like crack - once you try it, you keep coming back for more. :D

Lady's Human
03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Nope, a 4x4 with a baseplate sunk in concrete.

Some concept, different materials.

Pinot's Mom
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
OK, we're back to the 70's again... Can I have some of the breakfast scramble for dinner? I'm having no original thoughts for dinner.

Karen
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
That's the good part about breakfast - it can be served any time of day or night! Here you go, here's some for ya! And a little saucer for Pinot, too, if she has accompanied you to Thursday's.