PDA

View Full Version : I should have my head examined!

sasvermont
03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
I agreed to substitute for my friend at her daycare business. I had no help yesterday but did today.

The children consist of:

1 four month old boy
1 nine month old boy
1 two and one half year old girl
1 three and one half year old boy
1 five year old girl
1 eight year old boy
1 ten year old boy

Yesterday I had only the four month old, two and one half, and five year old, plus the eight and ten years olds later in the afternoon.

Needless to say, I am exhausted.

I have never changed so many poopy diapers and fed so many faces. Oh my. Those folks don't get paid nearly enough.

Today, my friend's husband helped and kept the older ones busy while I handled the food and little ones under 1 !

I will probably go to bed tonight by 6 PM and sleep until 10 AM. My back is killing me. My legs hurt. My hands are now "dishpan like".... from washing them so often between diaper changes and dishes!

My friend better lay a nice gift on me. I earned one!

K I D S are a lot of work!:eek::eek::eek:

lizbud
03-16-2012, 04:58 PM
That would be a tough job for any one person. Does your friend do this by herself everyday?
Congrats on a job well done.:)

pomtzu
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I would be exhausted. Handling two was enough for me - and I was a heck of a lot younger way back then too. My 2 boys are 4.5 years apart, so it's not even like I had 2 babies at the same time.

Yup - daycare workers have to be a special breed! :D

caseysmom
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Wow...I can't even manage the twins alone...when I babysit I make sure hubby is available.

Freedom
03-16-2012, 06:21 PM
That doesn't sounds like the proper adult / child ratio. Is it not regulated in your state?

You deserve the rest, night night!

sasvermont
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
The ratio is right. She does have me help her during the week. I usually go over there from 9-12 then back again 3:30-4:30.

The max she can have is 10. And only two under the age of two. Which is WAY too much work for one person. I suspect she will need me to help her out for the next several months until the two little ones are more independent.

I think she is foolish for taking on the two infants. What was she thinking?

By the way, I am doing this as a friend. She pays me $50 per month for my gas expense. I think this may change - or I may stop being so darn kind. I would never ask anyone to do what I do, for free, if you will.

Oh well, I am a big girl and agreed to help her out. When you add up the # of kids, she is making a tidy sum, but lots has to do with my being there so she doesn't kill herself.

I have mixed feelings about daycare anyway. I would rather the Moms stay home with their kiddies but reality sets in when there is no other income or you HAVE to work to keep a roof over your head. I understand some people pay a fortune for daycare costs but here in Vermont, folks don't pay all that much. Wages are rather low here too, compared to big city salaries.

I love the little ones at her daycare and they really love having me there. Things run much more smoothly with two MOMS, if you will.

I took a brief nap and now I feel better. Maybe I will go outside and play tomorrow, too! ;)

moosmom
03-17-2012, 08:13 AM
That's why I am SO glad my kid is 36!!!

I worked at a day care center for a whole day!! When one of the kids put his hand in his diaper and came out with a hand full of poop, I lost it and never went back! You're right, they DON'T get paid enough!!!

Taz_Zoee
03-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I worked in day care for 12 years. The ratio for up to two years old is 1 adult to 4 children. I opened in the infant room and sometimes had 10 infants/toddlers before the next teacher arrived. It was usually only for a very short period of time though and they were all eating breakfast. But yes, it is difficult. You're holding one getting them to sleep while you have your foot on the bouncy seat rocking another one. Sometimes I'd have two in my lap and two at my feet. Wonder why I don't have children of my own??? LOL
I have to say though......after I stopped working in day care and started at a desk job.........I've put on 50 pounds!!! Those kiddos kept me skinny!!! There are the difficult moments but then you see a child accomplish something that you helped them learn and it makes it all worth it. :D