PDA

View Full Version : How much vacation do you take?

Randi
03-16-2012, 09:37 AM
It seems that most US citizens only get 14 days, and they don't even use them! :eek: I wonder why that is.

Expedia vacation survey

<tbody>

Days given
Days taken
Days unused

France

Spain

Denmark

Brazil

Germany

Italy

UK

Sweden

Netherlands

Norway

India

Ireland

Argentina

Australia

Canada

Mexico

Singapore

U.S.

Japan

South Korea

Total

</tbody>

Germany, France, Spain and Denmark top the list with 30 paid vacation days, while the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway and the UK come in second with 25 days. European respondents also turn most of it into holidays. German respondents said they use 28 of 30 days, while France, Spain, Sweden and Denmark use all of them. American respondents earn 14 days, from which they use 12.

Asia, however, is more vacation averse. According to the survey, Japan is the most vacation-deprived nation in the world, with respondents saying they receive 11 paid days each year but only use five of them. South Koreans take seven out of their 10 days.

Hard working employees can also be found in India, where five days from a total of 20 are not used, respondents said. “In India, vacations tend to be viewed as a guilty habit,” marketing head of Expedia India, Manmeet Ahluwalia, said in a press release (http://press.expedia.co.in/travel-trends/expediacom-2011-vacation-deprivation-study-reveals-india-5th-most-vacation-deprived-n-0). “As many as 54% Indians spend vacations usually secretly checking emails.”

Besides economic performance, vacation levels might have an impact on the employees’ temper. Top scorers in the recent Legatum Institute’s list (http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2011/12/07/the-worlds-happiest-and-saddest-countries/) of the world’s happiest countries have many things in common.

One of them, however, is a high number of vacation days.

<tbody>

</tbody>

Freedom
03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I always took ALL my vacation time, and ALL of my sick time. Heck, if someone is going to pay me to take off and have fun, I'm all for it! :D

Must admit I saved my sick time on an annual basis, so if I did get ill I had time coming. Then if I left the job during that year, I'd get the pay for the saved time, so that was also good.

My jobs mostly had 4 weeks off annually for vacation, I think 2 gave me 6 weeks; but I was at the executive levels.

pomtzu
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
When I retired, I was at the point where I got 4+ weeks of vacation - 4 weeks for 20 years service, and then 1 additional day for each year over 20. The company I worked for did not allow you to carryover unused days (except in extenuating circumstances) into the next year, and if you didn't use them, they were lost. I don't know of anyone there that never used all of their days that they were entitled to. I sure used mine! :D

Alysser
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I did a research paper last semester on something called 'workaholism' which has been notorious in the US and Japan. Many people become obsessed with work and making money so they don't take as many days off. It's pretty interesting to read about, but it does end tragically sometimes.

I've only had part-time jobs or seasonal jobs thus far so I never got told how many days I can request off. My places of work have generally been very generous with that, except for Six Flags...but I don't work there anymore.

Randi
03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I always took ALL my vacation time, and ALL of my sick time. Heck, if someone is going to pay me to take off and have fun, I'm all for it! :D
Good for you! :D Of course, I use all my days, too. Not that I have a job now, but you're still entitled to 5 weeks of vacation whether you have a job or not.

Teachers, of course, have 7 weeks of vacation.

I've heard about the one additional day per year you've worked for a company - I guess that is fair, but younger people are surely not happy about it. Do many companies have that rule?

Yes, it seems that the US and Japan works a lot more than the rest of the world, and China, too for that matter, but I'm sure many in these countries go down with stress. Some even do in Denmark. With the unemployment figures we have, it's a shame that some can't work less, so others could get jobs. It seems to all or nothing.

happylabs
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
What??? People not using their vacation??? That is crazy.

I have been at my job for 25 years. I just got to the point where I earn 26 days a year and 4 personal days. I haven't been on a real vacation for about 10 years. When I was married and the kids were young we always went to the beach every year. Last year when Caleb got married at the beach was like a little mini vacation. I really miss going to the beach for a whole week.

My employer starts out giving you 7 days your first year of employment and then you get more in like 3 or 5 years and then when you hit 15 you get more and then 25 years is the max of 26 days. You start out with one personal day and they go up to 4 as you move through the ranks.

Randi
03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
What??? People not using their vacation??? That is crazy!
I don't get it, either.

The table below outlines the Danish Holiday Act:
http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/The_Danish_Holiday_Act_11011Final/$FILE/The Danish Holiday Act 11011Final.pdf

sparks19
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
hubby gets 4 weeks of vacation I think and he earns time for the overtime he works. We always use ALL of it. His vacation days reset in May and we already have a bunch of trips planned lol. a week long trip to canada, a week long trip to florida (a few days at the inlaws house and a couple days at disney) both of those vacations are in september and then another week at Disney in December.

Plus a few random days off here and there to "extend" a weekend and such.

krazyaboutkatz
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Where I work you only get 10 days of paid vacation days per year and when you've been with the company for 10 years and over you then get 15 days. I've been with the company for a long time so I do get the 15 and I use all of them. As for sick time, we can only use it if we are sick so I never use all of them unless I have surgery or something that requires a long recovery time. We now also need a doctor's excuse if we're out sick for more than a couple of days. We are allowed to carry over some of our sick time to the next year and as far as I know we can also carry over any unused vacation time. We also get our birthday as a paid holiday so I really have 16 paid vacation days.:) We used to also be able to use our sick time for personal time off or even vacation time when work was slow but ever since the poor economy we can't.:( Sometimes if we have to work on a Saturday we can also get comp time which would go towards vacation time. I usually just take staycations, I just stay home during my vacations, because I can't afford to travel and I have 6 cats to take care of and I don't have any one close by that could cat sit them. I also can't afford the prices of professional pet sitters.

Pinot's Mom
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
That table may be a bit skewed. In general, as far as I know, many American companies START with two weeks (10 days) vacation and 3 personal days. It is true many people leave some on the table; I am not one of them.

I am, at this point, middle management. I get 4 weeks vacation, three personal days and usually 3-4 floating holidays. As far as sick time, mine is unlimited, so it's not a matter of taking/leaving. If you're sick, if you have surgery, you stay home. I also use one day every 7-8 weeks for my IV treatments, which is paid.

As far as leaving vacation on the table: so many American companies, my own included, are cut so close to the bone as far as personnel, you can't take off because there is just too much to do and no one to cover. It's a sad result of a combination of the economy and some very badly run companies, IMO.

Randi
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
A week here and a week there is nice, and also to be able to extend weekends.

Wow KAK, 16 days aren't much, and I bet you work more than 37 hours a week. You need to talk to you boss and negotiate. ;)

I think is unfair that the rules aren't the same for everybody.

pomtzu
03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Randi;2411740 Not that I have a job now, but you're still entitled to 5 weeks of vacation whether you have a job or not.

I've heard about the one additional day per year you've worked for a company - I guess that is fair, but younger people are surely not happy about it. Do many companies have that rule?
[/QUOTE]

I'm confused. How do you get vacation if you don't have a job?

And that one additional day per year only came after I reached 20 years with the same company, and earned 4 weeks vacation. Since I had 22 years with them when I had to retire, then I was receiving 4 weeks plus 2 days. I also got 12 paid holidays (including my b'day), and I think it was 7 sick days. If you had to be off work for surgery as an example, then you went on short term disability for up to 6 months, and then long term disability if it went beyond 6 months, and of course that was with pay, but on a decreasing rate scale.

And I am speaking only of the company I worked for - they all are different and set their own policies and procedures.

happylabs
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Where I work you only get 10 days of paid vacation days per year and when you've been with the company for 10 years and over you then get 15 days. I've been with the company for a long time so I do get the 15 and I use all of them. As for sick time, we can only use it if we are sick so I never use all of them unless I have surgery or something that requires a long recovery time. We now also need a doctor's excuse if we're out sick for more than a couple of days. We are allowed to carry over some of our sick time to the next year and as far as I know we can also carry over any unused vacation time. We also get our birthday as a paid holiday so I really have 16 paid vacation days.:) We used to also be able to use our sick time for personal time off or even vacation time when work was slow but ever since the poor economy we can't.:( Sometimes if we have to work on a Saturday we can also get comp time which would go towards vacation time. I usually just take staycations, I just stay home during my vacations, because I can't afford to travel and I have 6 cats to take care of and I don't have any one close by that could cat sit them. I also can't afford the prices of professional pet sitters.

As much as I miss the beach, I do LOVE my staycations. I will take a Friday and the following Monday sometimes and make a 4-day weekend. I am becoming very much a homebody. Sometimes I think I could be a hermit - LOL!

Taz_Zoee
03-16-2012, 01:18 PM
I've been with my company over 8 years. We do not get sick days. We accumulate PTO (paid time off) as we work. Depending on how long you've been here determines how much PTO you get per days/hours worked.

We usually try to take a week long vacation each year. The past several years its only been going up to Tahoe (our home away from home) for a week. Back when we first go together we went on nice tropical cruises or trips (Carribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, Florida, Belize). Hopefully someday we will be able to do trips like that again.

Pomtzu, I think Randi means she TAKES vacation. Not that she necessarily gets paid vacation. And if I'm wrong..........I'm moving there!!! :)

caseysmom
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
I get 14 hours a month vacation and 8 hours sick leave a month so a bit over 4 weeks a year, I have about a years time on the books because I get called on the weekend a lot so time off is used to compensate so don't end up touching my balances a whole lot. I will run it out when I retire.

Randi
03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Pomtzu, when you're unemployed in Denmark, you have to be available at all times for the Jobcenter, and apply for at least two jobs a week. Also you have to go for meetings with the jobcenter and the Union now and again. Also, all unemployed have to attend a kind of "jobseeking course" every day for 5 hours. A waste of time! However, even the government has realized that and is now changing those rules.

If you are unemployed, the smartest thing is to be a member of a Union... you pay a certain amount every month and when you're fired, you get up to 90% of what you earned the last three months - for two years.

Btw, you get the same amount when you take your vacation.

However, if you're on Social benefit, you get a lot less, and until recently (I think), you are/were not allowed to travel outside the country.

I'm really sleepy, Fister is waking me up several times every night, so I'll reply to more questions tomorrow.

Karen
03-16-2012, 03:26 PM
When you are self-employed, there's no such thing as a "vacation" or work doesn't get done! But when I worked for the other companies, I got 2-3 weeks of vacation a year, the last company I worked at, it was given begrudgingly, but I took the two weeks anyway, just never consecutively. Small companies can have odd rules about it!

Edwina's Secretary
03-16-2012, 05:42 PM
That table may be a bit skewed. In general, as far as I know, many American companies START with two weeks (10 days) vacation and 3 personal days.

Not exactly. There is no law in the United States requiring employers to offer paid (or unpaid!) vacation or holidays.

In fact, one in four workers in the private sector (non-government) gets no paid time off. No, none.

Those folks frying your burger at McDonald's, serving your meal at the local diner, ringing up your sale at Walmart most likely get no paid vacation. (That does not mean they cannot take time off - just not paid for it.) And probably no paid holidays as well.

Most medium to large employers do offer vacation - one or two weeks to start - but often that cannot be taken until the second year.

And people not taking vacation is a problem for many employers. It must be carried on the books as a liability. Some states (California is one) do not allow "use it or lose it" vacation policies. But only a handful of states. Many employees stockpile vacation - where they can - or are afraid to take it for fear of annoying the boss. Taking two weeks at as stretch has become very rare.

The basic holidays are eight per year (New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day After, Christmas Day.) There is no law requiring an employer to give any of these days off - with or without pay. NOr to pay you extra if you work them.

So if your employer gives you paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time...be sure and thank them. They do it because they want to - not because they have to!

Scooter's Mom
03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
My DH gets PTO (like Taz_Zoee). They get 15 days a year - it can be sick days, vacation days, whatever. My office is way better. I've been there 9 years and I'm at the highest vacation "rank" which is 192 hours (24 days)... plus every pay period you earn 1.34 hours of sick time. The sick time is not much at all... but the vacation time makes up for it.

wolf_Q
03-16-2012, 10:01 PM
I get so many hours of PTO a year. I think I have 250 something right now...they roll over from previous years though I think sometimes some are lost. But my PTO is our hourly rate (we make hourly or commission whichever is higher) so it's only like $7.50 an hour. I definitely make more than that (unless its really slow) with commission, so, while I do get paid to take time off it is not the same pay I would make working if that makes sense. So taking a week off "just to use hours" I would generally loose money as I would not be making the same amount as if I was at work. But it sure is nice to take a week off and get paid while I'm not there. I don't necessarily keep track of how many hours I use but if I want to take a trip I take it and I use my hours. I like to have some on hand because we do not have a separate sick leave if I want to get paid while I had to take time off for a surgery or something I would have to use my PTO.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-17-2012, 08:25 AM
I am not really sure, but I think my hubby has as much vacation days as in The Netherlands!
But........ from July on he will have as much vacation as he chooses, because........................................... ....
he will be retired as from July 1st :)!!! Yîppie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maid25cats
03-17-2012, 10:24 AM
At my old job after 18yrs I was up to 5 weeks vac, 6 sick. I started there in 89, some years later they changed it to no more than 4 weeks but if you were hired before a certain year you still got the 5th week after the 15 years. 6 sick days and you got paid if you didn't use them . Paid holidays and the company was closed from Christmas Eve to New Years -PAID.:D:D
So I think it ended up being about 16 paid holidays. Unfortunately they moved out of the state :(
New company:
Right now after 4 years this month I just got 4 more days added which brings me up to 14 days vac and 8 sick.
But now they changed the sick day policy that is use it or lose it.

Right now with 5 cats I cant really go away so I stay around the house

Randi
03-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Wow, it's really different over there... huge variations from one company to another, and from one state to another. I would have thought there was a law stating the minimum/maximum days of vacation for all Americans. Well, at least most of you get at least 2 weeks of vacation. In my opnion that's not enough to wind down, but I guess with the financial crisis we have, this is not the time to fight for more. ;)

I found this that shows the development over the years:

<caption> A chronology of the development of holiday entitlement in Denmark
</caption> <colgroup> <col align="left" width="80"> <col align="left" width="430"> </colgroup> <tbody>
First demands for holiday entitlement made in connection with collective bargaining.

1920s
Workers in a few factories obtain the right to three days' annual leave.

Half of the members of trade unions affiliated to LO (then DsF) obtain one week's paid annual leave in connection with the conclusion of new collective agreements.

In connection with new agreements, a larger share of workers obtain a right to summer holiday with pay.

The Holiday Act gives all employees a right to two weeks' annual leave.

A third week of annual leave is introduced with effect from 1953 in connection with the conclusion of collective agreements.

A fourth week of annual leave is introduced with effect from 1973.

A fifth week of annual leave is introduced.

A new - and more flexible - holiday agreement concluded in the public sector is overruled by the Ministry of Labour, but the following year this leads to deliberations concerning a revision of the Holiday Act.

Two special holidays per year are introduced in connection with the government intervention in the dispute in the private sector bargaining area covered by DA/LO (DK9805168F (http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/eiro/1998/05/feature/dk9805168f.htm)).

Three special holidays per year are introduced in the agreements concluded in various sectors, including the public sector, to be implemented in the course of the period up to 2002 (DK9903114F (http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/eiro/1999/03/feature/dk9903114f.htm)).

Spring 2000
Five special holidays per year are introduced in the agreements in the private sector bargaining area covered by DA/LO, to be implemented during the period up to 2003. The sixth week of annual leave is thus a reality - without being holiday in the sense of the Holiday Act.

May 2000
New Holiday Act is passed. It introduces a higher degree of flexibility, in the form of the possibility to enter into agreements to transfer one week of annual leave to the following holiday year.

</tbody>

A little more info: http://www.working-in-denmark.com/Labour-market-conditions-1036.aspx

pomtzu
03-17-2012, 12:24 PM
With the economy and job market what it is now in the U.S, a lot of people will take whatever job they can find, regardless of the benefits. Some 10-15 years ago, you could shop around and be somewhat choosy, and take a job not only based on salary, but what benefits it had to offer. I wasn't overly happy with my job and I had considered finding a job elsewhere for more money, but that also involved finding a job with good benefits and within reasonable travel distance. I made decent money where I was, had great benefits, and only had to drive about 7 minutes to get there. I had job offers with more money, but traveling an hour each way would have defeated the purpose, and in the end, I would be losing, considering gas prices, tolls, wear and tear on my car, so it wasn't worth a change. And I sure wouldn't start a new job with 4 weeks vacation either. Money is a short term motivator in a lot of instances, and you really have to weigh all the options. I hope that somehow this economy will turn around in time for my grandkids to not have the struggle that so many people have today.

Sorry - I got a little off topic.........:eek:

Randi
03-17-2012, 12:53 PM
With the economy and job market what it is now in the U.S, a lot of people will take whatever job they can find, regardless of the benefits.
I certainly would, too! It just seems hopeless to even get a shit job. When 30 year olds, fresh from University can't get jobs, how are we around sixty ever going to get one.

In my opinion, greed has contributed a lot to the mess we're in now. Still, some who screw up, still get their million $$ bonuses.

pomtzu
03-17-2012, 03:01 PM
In my opinion, greed has contributed a lot to the mess we're in now. Still, some who screw up, still get their million $$ bonuses.

Yup - and the government bails their company out too. :mad: All of this when thousands of people are losing their homes to foreclosure and can barely feed their families. I'm glad I'm old!!! At least I don't have to worry about just starting out in life, and facing a lifetime of who know what anymore. Guess I never really had it so bad afterall. :p

Glacier
03-17-2012, 04:58 PM
As much as possible! The only way to keep my hubby from going back to work early is to take him out of the country! We just got back from Honduras a couple weeks ago! Stuart is self-employed. There are no paid breaks ever. Even in Honduras, he was working at least an hour a day by email!

I have a very generous benefit package at work. I get 5 weeks of paid holiday time a year that can be banked indefinately. My boss encourages us to use it regularly. Every five years I get an extra week of "long service leave". It has to be used before I'm elegible for the next one.

I earn a day and a half a month of sick leave, which can also be banked. I currently have 6 months of sick leave banked. I rarely use it! I used two weeks last year; one after surgery to fix my wrist and another after I had laser surgery on my eyes.

I also have "special leave". It's kinda like personal leave for reasons other than illness. I get six days a year, but can bank up to 30 days of it which I have. People with kids use it way more than I do. I've only ever used it to attend funerals or take care of Stuart when he was injured.

I have a week booked off in May. Going to Saskatchewan to visit my family and meet my newest niece, who is due to arrive May 9. I have two weeks booked in September...I'd like to spend my 40th birthday on a beach somewhere. Gotta find a dogsitter for that before I book anything though! May dogsitter is already arranged.

I'm also doing a deferred salary plan at work. For the next five years, my employer witholds part of my salary and banks it. I get the 6th year off with pay. I could have done a shorter time period of banking, but this way it's less of a financial impact and in five years it will much much easier to find a critter sitter! I have a count down app on my phone..it's 1963 days from today until I'm off!

Alysser
03-17-2012, 09:59 PM
As much as possible! The only way to keep my hubby from going back to work early is to take him out of the country! We just got back from Honduras a couple weeks ago! Stuart is self-employed. There are no paid breaks ever. Even in Honduras, he was working at least an hour a day by email!

I have a very generous benefit package at work. I get 5 weeks of paid holiday time a year that can be banked indefinately. My boss encourages us to use it regularly. Every five years I get an extra week of "long service leave". It has to be used before I'm elegible for the next one.

I earn a day and a half a month of sick leave, which can also be banked. I currently have 6 months of sick leave banked. I rarely use it! I used two weeks last year; one after surgery to fix my wrist and another after I had laser surgery on my eyes.

I also have "special leave". It's kinda like personal leave for reasons other than illness. I get six days a year, but can bank up to 30 days of it which I have. People with kids use it way more than I do. I've only ever used it to attend funerals or take care of Stuart when he was injured.

I have a week booked off in May. Going to Saskatchewan to visit my family and meet my newest niece, who is due to arrive May 9. I have two weeks booked in September...I'd like to spend my 40th birthday on a beach somewhere. Gotta find a dogsitter for that before I book anything though! May dogsitter is already arranged.

I'm also doing a deferred salary plan at work. For the next five years, my employer witholds part of my salary and banks it. I get the 6th year off with pay. I could have done a shorter time period of banking, but this way it's less of a financial impact and in five years it will much much easier to find a critter sitter! I have a count down app on my phone..it's 1963 days from today until I'm off!

I'm curious as to how you find a dog sitter for 16+ dogs? :D

Glacier
03-18-2012, 03:14 AM
I'm curious as to how you find a dog sitter for 16+ dogs? :D

Well, it's not easy, but first and probably most importantly, I pay and pay well! Critter care is always a big part of our holiday budgeting! I'm always a bit amazed that anyone will agree to take this place on! Even more amazed that anyone agrees twice and are still my friends after!

I have paid airfare to bring a friend here to dogsit. She used to live here so it's like a paid visit for her. I'm hoping she'll be able to come again in September. I provide a car and gas card for non-local dogsitters. Locals can use the vehicle too, especially if they have to take a dog to the vet and want to avoid getting fur in their own car!

I always leave the fridge fully stocked along with a beer fridge full of whatever their drink of choice may be! I leave cash for supplies and a gift card to a gas station if the dogsitter lives in town normally. I make arrangements with both my vets so that the sitter can take any animal in any time without worrying about the bill. I made a book with a page for each animal, includes their picture, age, any medications they take and a description of their personality and habits. It has saved a few people from freaking out when they can't touch Delta or when Felicia comes limping through the room(her limp is permanent and doesn't bother her at all, but at first glance she looks like her leg is broken!). Also has a list of the basic chores that have to be done every day and a list of emergency phone numbers.

We have satelitte tv, wireless internet and a hot tub too! I also bring back presents from wherever we go!

We had the best dogsitter ever for awhile, but he went back to university down south. I tried to convince him to get his Master's degree on line, but he wouldn't go for it! :p He's coming back in May for a couple months. He's staying here while I go to see my family. I think he's more excited about hanging out here than I am about my new niece! I need to find a new Todd. It was very nice to be able to go away for even for a night and have someone we trusted completely stay here.

chocolatepuppy
03-18-2012, 08:52 AM
I get 4 weeks paid vacation a year, after 15 years with the company. (I'll have 20 years this coming November) At 21 years, I get 5 weeks. We also get our birthday paid which we have to take in our birthday month or lose it. I can't save days into the next year, but can save some of them and take the money at the end of the year. I usually don't take all of my vacation. The last two years saving some days came in handy towards the end of the year when I was off on sick leave. The company will let you fill in blank spots left by sick pay (waiting week) and let you take one vacation day a week as 'pay only' to cover your weekly health insurance costs.

Randi
03-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Glacier, you have quite a good deal there, compared to many others - good for you! :) Hope you'll have a wonderful vacation with your family! When you go in September, you should consider Dominican Republic... great beaches, friendly people and it's cheap.

Sick days? Many of you talk about sick days. So you have a certain amount of sick days to use in a year? What if you are sick for more days? Don't you get paid anything, or do you have use your vacation days, then?

pomtzu
03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Sick days? Many of you talk about sick days. So you have a certain amount of sick days to use in a year? What if you are sick for more days? Don't you get paid anything, or do you have use your vacation days, then?

If you are just sick a day here and a day there, then you use your sick days and/or vacation days as needed. If you will be out for an extended period of time, like a month or two for surgery, then that's when your short term disability takes over at whatever rate of pay that your company provides for this. There is usually a 1 week waiting period for the pay to kick in, but you can use any sick days or vacation days that you still have for this week so that you aren't without a paycheck during that waiting period.

caseysmom
03-18-2012, 12:36 PM
We can use vacation days too for being sick but I have so much time I could be sick for 7 months. We also have a program where if someone has a catastrophe others can donate their excess time. And as pomtzu said you can get ND
I, my daughter just had babies and she got 8 weeks paid leave from our state disability insurance.

Glacier
03-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Glacier, you have quite a good deal there, compared to many others - good for you! :) Hope you'll have a wonderful vacation with your family! When you go in September, you should consider Dominican Republic... great beaches, friendly people and it's cheap.

The benefit plan has been a deciding factor in staying at my job several times! I've looked at the Dominican Republic but it's right in the middle of the hurricane belt and September is the height of hurricane season. Stuart has issues with all inclusive resorts too and getting to the Dominican from here without doing a an all inclusive package deal is tricky. I've been looking at Bonaire, one of the Dutch Antilles islands. It's below the hurricane belt and supposed have amazing snorkelling/diving. I'm considering going back to Cuba too. It's hurricane prone, but I'd like to go to Santa Clara and see Che's grave. Santa Clara is hit less often by hurricanes than the Havana area of the island.

At my job, we earn a day and a half of sick leave for every full month worked. That time can be banked indefinately. If you get seriously ill, you need to use all your sick leave first; before we can apply for our disability insurance plan, we have to use all our leave time. So once you're out of sick leave, you have to use any vacation, special leave, long service etc that you have banked. If you're off for more than 3 consecutive days, you have to provide a doctor's note.

Randi
03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
If you're off for more than 3 consecutive days, you have to provide a doctor's note.
We have to do that also, but here, your vacation can not be influenced by your sick days.

Santa Clara and seeing Che's grave sounds like a brilliant idea! :) Hope you can do it!

krazyaboutkatz
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
A week here and a week there is nice, and also to be able to extend weekends.

Wow KAK, 16 days aren't much, and I bet you work more than 37 hours a week. You need to talk to you boss and negotiate. ;)

I think is unfair that the rules aren't the same for everybody.

Yes, it sure isn't. I do usually work 40 hours per week and sometimes a bit more. Ever since the poor economy though, our boss doesn't want us to work any overtime. Since I'm now paid an hourly plus a commission, I'm required to do a certain amount of work per day within my 8 hours. If I can't do this then I will just punch out after 8 hours and then work off the clock which I don't think is fair but if I don't finish my work then I don't get my commission and in my department we have to always finish all of our work. I work at fairly small company of about 40 or so workers. We're actually one of the largest dental labs in our area though. Most dental labs are very small with only from 2-5 employees.

The way the I make the most of my vacation time is to not take it all at once. For the past few years I've been taking off a few days here and there during the summer so that I get long weekends. I usually do this in the months of July and August. Then I only work either 3-4 days a week depending on if I have a 3 day weekend or a 4 day weekend. I use my 10 days during this time and I save my other 5 for the end of the year between Christmas and New Years. Since we also get some paid holidays during this time, I've been able to take almost 2 weeks off sometimes. My holiday birthday is also in Dec. so I always use it during this time too. We work with a limited staff during these holidays so my boss encourages us to use any vacation time that we have left. We're also usually very slow the first week of Jan. so many people take that week off too.

We have an employee handbook that is updated every year but it also says that things are subject to change without notice. We receive the following holidays:
New Year's Day
Presidents Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day After Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Eve (1/2 Day)
Christmas Day
1 Floating Holiday- Employee's Birthday

We aren't allowed to keep accumulating a lot of vacation time though. We can carry over accrued vacation time into the next year but when our total vacation accrual reaches 150% we will no longer accrue vacation until we reduce the total below the maximum. I do remember there was an employee that had build up so much vacation time that my boss forced him to take some time off. My boss also doesn't like us to take long vacations like a month off at a time. I don't know why people wouldn't just want to use their vacation time every year.

We get 4 sick days a year and we can carry over a maximum of 48 hours of sick leave from calendar year to calendar year. If we are absent for more than 3 consecutive work days due to our own illness or injury, then we must provide a physician's statement verifying the disability, its beginning and expected ending dates. This verification may be required as a condition for receiving sick leave benefits. Also if we're out for 10 work days or more then we must provide a physician's verification that we may safely return to work. When I had my eye surgery I had to do this.

After receiving approval from our supervisor, we can take up to 3 days of paid time off because of the death of an immediate family member. My company defines "immediate family" as our spouse, parent, child, sibling, in-law, grandparent, domestic partner, child of domestic partner, or significant other. When my grandparents passed away I never took any time off. I did,however, take one personal day off when I had to put my RB Pepper to sleep. This was back when I was able to take personal days off though. I guess I should just be glad that I have any benefits at all.

Alysser
03-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Well, it's not easy, but first and probably most importantly, I pay and pay well! Critter care is always a big part of our holiday budgeting! I'm always a bit amazed that anyone will agree to take this place on! Even more amazed that anyone agrees twice and are still my friends after!

I have paid airfare to bring a friend here to dogsit. She used to live here so it's like a paid visit for her. I'm hoping she'll be able to come again in September. I provide a car and gas card for non-local dogsitters. Locals can use the vehicle too, especially if they have to take a dog to the vet and want to avoid getting fur in their own car!

I always leave the fridge fully stocked along with a beer fridge full of whatever their drink of choice may be! I leave cash for supplies and a gift card to a gas station if the dogsitter lives in town normally. I make arrangements with both my vets so that the sitter can take any animal in any time without worrying about the bill. I made a book with a page for each animal, includes their picture, age, any medications they take and a description of their personality and habits. It has saved a few people from freaking out when they can't touch Delta or when Felicia comes limping through the room(her limp is permanent and doesn't bother her at all, but at first glance she looks like her leg is broken!). Also has a list of the basic chores that have to be done every day and a list of emergency phone numbers.

We have satelitte tv, wireless internet and a hot tub too! I also bring back presents from wherever we go!

We had the best dogsitter ever for awhile, but he went back to university down south. I tried to convince him to get his Master's degree on line, but he wouldn't go for it! :p He's coming back in May for a couple months. He's staying here while I go to see my family. I think he's more excited about hanging out here than I am about my new niece! I need to find a new Todd. It was very nice to be able to go away for even for a night and have someone we trusted completely stay here.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread..

but wow!! Sounds like a real good deal you have set up. If you ever need a permanent dog sitter let me know.. :p;)

Suki Wingy
03-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Last year I got about 130 hours of paid time off. I use almost all of it between "home base" being 270 miles away, my conventions, and simply having days where my shift is canceled because I have no dogs on my schedule. I should say I work for the same company as wolf_Q but I currently don't make commission at all, just hourly for now.

And Glacier, I dogsit and I have several references!

Queen of Poop
03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
I get 25 paid vacation days a year and 2 flex days one to be used in the first half of the year, one in the second half. We also close the office the Friday before every long weekend from May to September. And we close the office between Christmas and New Years. With the divorce and having no funds for vacation I currently have 55 vacation days to use up. Not sure how I'm going to manage that.

Suki Wingy
03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I forgot, when my dad was being laid off (they gave him a heads up several months in advance, he worked for a university) they let him use up all the vacation days he had accumulated so he kept taking days off whenever it was nice out to go looking for snakes or birds and when I came to visit he took the entire time off.

Randi
07-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Here's a new list of how much vacation the boss in various countries take. Twelve days for the US bosses certainly isn't much.

pomtzu
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Only 12 days for U.S. bosses??? :rolleyes: - that's a joke!!! I wonder who compiled those figures?

Randi
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I wonder who compiled those figures?
It does sound very little. :eek: The source is someone called Grant Thornton.

Jessika
07-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I get 5 days of vacation a year (get another 5 after I've been there 5 years...), no sick days, and I haven't taken any yet this year because they encourage us to switch shifts with other employees instead of taking a day of vacation... oh, forgot to mention, if I do take vacation, I also have to plan out who is going to cover my shifts...

snakemama
07-10-2012, 08:08 PM
My vacation is earned based on hours worked and it does not roll over. I have about 60 hours accumulated right now and I'll be using them next month. I guess maybe I'm lucky that I don't like to travel, I haven't had a vacation in awhile and I don't have a strong desire to take one. I am such a homebody. :)

catnapper
07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
I get 13 days and don't go anywhere. I use them to just have the day off at home

Karen
07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
It does sound very little. :eek: The source is someone called Grant Thornton.

Maybe it averages in all those of us who are self-employed so don't get/take vacation. That'd bring the average right down, just like getting a "zero" on a test for cheating did to kids' grades in high school!

momcat
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
After 30 years at my job, I now have 25 vacation days. Since I hate to travel, I take extended weekends when I feel I need the time off and catch up with stuff at home.

krazyaboutkatz
07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm actually on vacation right now. Since the 4th of July fell on a Wed. and we also became very slow at work, I decided to take Thurs. & Fri. off too. I also decided to take the whole next week off. I don't travel either so it's just a staycation. Now I can stay home and enjoy my 3 new kittens and other cats. It's going to be hard going back to work on Monday.

cassiesmom
07-10-2012, 10:23 PM
There was an editorial in the Chicago Tribune (or maybe a letter to the editor) about a Chicago teacher who retired with 325 unused sick days. In Illinois, by law you get paid for accrued but unused sick time. That's like an extra 11 months pay.

I've rarely taken my entire two weeks because of my cat, and because of having to arrange for coverage at the different places I've worked when I worked in the hospital I was hourly and the time accrued faster, so I did take it. I used up a lot of vacation days when I was in grad school, too.

mrspunkysmom
07-11-2012, 01:45 AM
There was an editorial in the Chicago Tribune (or maybe a letter to the editor) about a Chicago teacher who retired with 325 unused sick days. In Illinois, by law you get paid for accrued but unused sick time. That's like an extra 11 months pay.

I've rarely taken my entire two weeks because of my cat, and because of having to arrange for coverage at the different places I've worked when I worked in the hospital I was hourly and the time accrued faster, so I did take it. I used up a lot of vacation days when I was in grad school, too.

Actually teachers work 180-200 days per year. So he had almost 2 years of vacation days. If we have unused sick days, these are not reimbursed at daily pay. In our state, it's usually $10 -15 per unused day. Some counties have a 90 limit. Pay you for those days over 90 days. Others have unlimited days. Don't know about Chicago or Illinois.

There are studies saying Americans work to hard at everything and don't relax enough. My mother could turn a vacation into a job. I like doing both. It's fun to visit places; it's also nice to sit back and watch the grass grow.

cassiesmom
07-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Actually teachers work 180-200 days per year. So he had almost 2 years of vacation days. If we have unused sick days, these are not reimbursed at daily pay. In our state, it's usually $10 -15 per unused day. Some counties have a 90 limit. Pay you for those days over 90 days. Others have unlimited days. Don't know about Chicago or Illinois.

There are studies saying Americans work to hard at everything and don't relax enough. My mother could turn a vacation into a job. I like doing both. It's fun to visit places; it's also nice to sit back and watch the grass grow.

Open mouth and insert foot, Elyse! I'm so sorry for the inconsiderate comment!

In the past, when I've had a special vacation planned I've used more of my vacation allotment. not so much the past few years, though. It seemed different (more important to get time away from work, somehow) when I was rotating shifts and working a lot of weekends.

Glacier
07-13-2012, 06:32 PM
I just booked a two week trip to Costa Rica! Going to the Carribbean side this time. Only 12 of those days will actually be in CR...we leave September 1, arrive late on September 2, and head for home on September 15. It's an extremely long day on the 15th, but we get home in one day, that's never happened before when we've travelled. We always have to overnight somewhere both directions! Bonus....I got the ticket with aeroplan points...that's never happened before either. They never have seats on the dates I want, for the places I want!

Now I have 1000 other things to organize so we can actually get on the plane! I never wait this long to book...I am a planner! Took awhile to find a dog/cat/house sitter this time!

phesina
07-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Vacation? What's that?