PDA

View Full Version : Autumn got attacked by a muskrat (warning graphic pics)

IRescue452
03-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I live in a rural apartment right outside an area of wetland and last night I was coming home from work and Autumn was with me although offleash because she heels well and doesn't even bother to go after the rabbits we see every night. She stopped to go to the bathroom and a muskrat came out of the bushes near her and jumped her. I ran up and yelled at it and it turned and came after me but I swung my lunch container at it and kicked it and it ran off without biting me. Don't worry, I don't think I connected hard with it because it was so hard to even see it in the dark. Autumn has two good puncture wounds where it bit her on her head that bled pretty good last night but she doesn't even seem to notice. I tossed and turned all night and this morning I called the vet and they said she doesn't need a rabies booster or anything and to clean it with peroxide and watch for signs of infection. I also called my apartment manager and he said he was going to call the city and see if they can get a trapper in the wetland park property since its city-owned. They already have a trapper who does the dog park down the road because dogs have gotten chewed by muskrats there a few years ago.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/bbflygirl/IMG_5759.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/bbflygirl/IMG_5762.jpg
She's not this fat, she's just puffed up from resisting getting in the bathtub to have her head washed.

This is what it looks like cleaned up this morning now that its not bleeding. Not so bad but I nearly had a heart attack last night.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/bbflygirl/IMG_5770.jpg

happylabs
03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
OMG poor Autumn! I would have tossed and turned all night too. She looks like she will be okay though. I don't even know what a Muskrat looks like. Will google it. Hope she heals well. She is a pretty pupper. :)

FurkidsMom
03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
That is scary stuff when your sweeties get attached and you also! Glad she's doing ok. I've had my dog attacked by another dog and that scared the life out of me.

Roxyluvsme13
03-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Poor girl :(. I hope she has a quick and easy recovery. It doesn't look as bad now that it's cleaned up, so hopefully she will be fine.

pomtzu
03-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Poor Autumn. Thankfully she is up to date on her rabies, and that you didn't get bitten.

She's such a pretty girl. Love those curly ears. Give her a smooch from me please. :love:

IRescue452
03-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I think the vet should give me a rabies vaccination too. I don't want it.

I do have to say though, I'm the one overstressed from the whole ordeal. Autumn isn't acting hurt at all and she wanted to rub her head on the couch last night after I rinsed it with water. She's such a moron she sat after the thing bit her, though she did yipe. That's what she does at the dog park around too many excitable dogs- she's sits to diffuse the situation. Here I was yelling at this thing to get away and she didn't even run from it.

Karen
03-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Will the muskrat that gets caught tested for rabies? It seems rather odd, but it may be nesting season, and Autumn somehow got too close to the nest so they were defending the area.

Freedom
03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Yikes! Like Karen, I was thinking that muskrat must be rabid to be like this.

Puncture wounds hurt like heck! And you have to watch as they heal, they will heal from the top down, trapping in any infection. You want them to heal bottom up. I'm surprised the vet didn't ask you to take her in.

Heal up, Autumn. And you feel better, too, Mom.

chocolatepuppy
03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Yikes! Heal quickly Autumn.

Cataholic
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Like Freedom, I am very surprised you were not asked to come in immediately. Puncture wounds are horrible, and need to be flushed out, and frankly, I don't think that is something most of us can do with just water. I would take her in to another vet and have it flushed really well with saline, and probably put on some antibiotics, just in case.

Poor Autumn, and poor you!

Scooter's Mom
03-14-2012, 07:31 PM
My husband immediately said two things... 1) muskrats are mean and 2) it probably had babies in the bush and felt threatened.

I hope Autumn feels better and has no lasting effects from this attack! Gentle (hugs) to you and Autumn!

Sowa
03-14-2012, 08:58 PM
That would be terrifying! I'm glad she's ok!

Desert Arabian
03-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Owww!!! That looks so painful! Poor pup! I would have a severe panic attack if I saw that much blood on my dog's head.

Muskrats are very protective of their young, otherwise they are usually pretty docile and afraid of other animals. The chance of it having rabies is very, very rare as well so don't fret about that too much.

cassiesmom
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Awww, Autumn! I hope the puncture heals very soon!

IRescue452
03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Autumn has a vet appointment right before I go to work today and I'll ask again about antibiotics, this time I'll ask the vet and not the receptionist. I really don't think the thing had rabies now that I think of it, considering it had plenty of time to get in more bites and it ran away once it was outnumbered. These are just mean creatures and since they hang around the dog park pond down the road I suppose they are used to dogs. Maybe it was pregnant but theres no babies in the bushes it came out of.

pomtzu
03-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah - they are mean little cusses. I live in a rural area, and years ago I used to bike ride 15-20 miles a few times a week. One day I was riding thru the forest preserve area and one came at me from the ditch along side the road. I never saw it coming till it was right at my heels, and I figure it must have had babies nearby. I never peddled so fast in all my life, and after that episode, I carried pepper spray with me. :p

Alysser
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Oh god, that looks awful!! It must hurt like he11, poor Autumn. I am so glad you're both okay..:)

I don't think I have ever seen pics of Autumn, she sure is a cutie! :D I hope she recovers quickly. Honestly, I never expected a muskrat to bite a dog. They sure are daring. We have them here but I have never heard of them attacking. :eek: Maybe I should worry more about them then the bears then!! That's just scary to think about..

This is why I am training Mikey to respect wildlife. Not saying Autumn doesn't because she probably didn't even know it was there, the poor girl. I am sure she is very good around wildlife, especially now!

IRescue452
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Sorry Pomtzu but that made me laugh. Maybe us folks living out in rural areas should have rabies vaccinations. Autumn is back from vet and he said the punctures look great. I'd cleaned them with more peroxide this morning. He recommends not giving antibiotics unless something comes up. He also thinks Autumn's unrelated bilateral hair thinning that I wanted to ask him about is allergies. But I made him do a thyroid panel anyway. If it comes back good tomorrow we'll call it alopecia and at least I'll have peace of mind. Allergies = itching and licking in my mind, and Autumn does none of that. Allergies are over-rated.

pomtzu
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Sorry Pomtzu but that made me laugh. Maybe us folks living out in rural areas should have rabies vaccinations.

That's okay - I laugh about it now too - just thinking what the whole scene would have looked like to someone that might have seen what was going on. Here's this crazy lady peddling her bike like the devil himself was after her, and cussing up a storm at the same time! Thank goodness no one was around - just me and that crazy critter hot on my heels and chattering up a storm of her own! What a sight..........

Glad Autumn is on the mend! :)

beeniesmom
03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Oh No, poor baby! I hope she is ok now. What's a muskrat?

pomtzu
03-20-2012, 09:57 AM
What's a muskrat?

A BIG marsh rat that can weigh up to about 4 lbs. They are quite the delicacy here in DE, and The Wagon Wheel restaurant in town draws people from all over to partake in this "delicacy". They are served up fried, and it's said they have a taste all their own - tho some people compare it to duck, others to a chewy beef. As for me, I really couldn't tell you, since I just can't bring myself to eat a rat. :eek:

beeniesmom
03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Wow, thanks for the explanation. Never seen one before.

Desert Arabian
03-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Muskrats are in the same family as voles and lemmings- they are not true rats. They are a lot like beavers when it comes to their lifestyle and apperance, although muskrats do not have a big flat tail. Muskrats are ominvores- they primarily feed on aquatic plant roots, crayfish, small fish, etc. They are heavily trapped in my state for their fur, which is very soft and plush.

pomtzu
03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Muskrats are in the same family as voles and lemmings- they are not true rats.

True - but if it looks like a rat - then it's a rat in my book! :eek:

Lilith Cherry
03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Me too Ellie! That is one dish I would NOT try when I lived in China, lol!:eek: