PDA

View Full Version : The Oreo turns 100 years old

cassiesmom
03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Pour a glass of milk! Today is the 100th birthday of the Oreo cookie! I heard on the radio this morning that more women than men separate the Oreo by twisting it. And that it's about 50-50 as to whether to open the cookie and eat the cream first, or eat it whole. I love Oreo cookies and I also really like the inside-out ones :)

Here's an article
http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/oreo-cookie-celebrates-hundredth-birthday?gt1=47001

Here's my new favorite Christmas treat
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/easy-oreo-truffles-95085.aspx

Karen
03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I used to like them as a treat, until they decided to put coconut oil in the filling, and now I'm allergic to that. Maybe I'll check the package, maybe they aren't doing that anymore.

happylabs
03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
The ONLY way to properly eat an Oreo is to dip it into milk or coffee first. I :love: Oreos! I cannot buy them and keep them in the house though, because I cannot be trusted with them. :D
The old saying about can't eat just one Lay's potato chip also applies to Oreos.

I do believe, however, since it is Oreo's birthday, that I MUST purchase some. Maybe I will just get one of those snack packs of 4 or 6 or however many comes in them.

When we were kids we always dipped our Oreo's in mom's coffee. That was the only time we did it, was with Oreos. We didn't drink the coffee, we just liked the taste of the cookie soaked in it. She always put cream and a little sugar in her coffee. I wonder if she remembers this? I'll have to ask her.

Wow..the truffles look good. For the last couple years I have been making chocolate dipped oreos as gifts and decorating them. It's one of those things where when you start it, you get requests every year. They are fund to make too. Of course, I'll volunteer to dip anything in chocolate!

Thanks for the info Elyse. :)

Karen
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I just checked their site, and they not have canola and/or sunflower and/or other oils, and corn syrup in them, and I am allergic to all three. Sigh. So you all can have my share of 'em!

sallyandsnowx
03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks like I'll have to eat some Oreos today in celebration! :D

beeniesmom
03-06-2012, 06:55 PM
I've always loved oreos but don't buy them often. I'm the only one who likes them in the house and end up eating the whole package.

happylabs
03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I've always loved oreos but don't buy them often. I'm the only one who likes them in the house and end up eating the whole package.

I'm in shock! I did not think there was anyone who did not love Oreos. :eek:

beeniesmom
03-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I know right!? Hubby doesn't like them. He prefers very simple butter cookies and I gave one to my daughter and she spit it out and said yuck? :confused: More for me.... :P

Bonny
03-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Bought some of those 100th year Oreo's the other day & dunked them in milk. YUM :D