PDA

View Full Version : COOKS! Anyone use a tagine? Moroccan ceramic cooker

Freedom
03-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Someone on FB recently got a tagine, and is really enjoying it (she loves to cook, I do too).

The cover captures condensation and returns it, keeping the meat moist. I am going to get one, I think. Will have to research recipes, like curry etc. Wondered if anyone uses one.

kittycats_delight
03-03-2012, 10:37 AM
The restaurant I used to hostess at used to serve tagine. The chef was moroccan born but lived and trained in Italy. He did an amazing lamb tagine & another with beef that were just so good. The chef was a friend of my hubby's. He gave us several of his recipes. The beef tagine & lamb tagine that he made were 2 of them along with a honey sauce he used on ribs, a rosé sauce for pasta, gorgonzola sauce for gnocchi was another. All delicious. I will have to dig them out as I haven't made either tagine dish is ages but can send you the recipes if you want.

Freedom
03-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Yummy oh yes please do send those along!

In researching, seems the same term is used for a meal and for the cooking pot, lol. It was the pot I was considering buying. Found them on ebay, but so many choices! Size, material (silicone, ceramic, cast iron base with ceramic dome) very interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastrad-Tajine-Black-Silicone-/350529957281?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6746154414117601903

Karen
03-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Yummy oh yes please do send those along!

In researching, seems the same term is used for a meal and for the cooking pot, lol. It was the pot I was considering buying. Found them on ebay, but so many choices! Size, material (silicone, ceramic, cast iron base with ceramic dome) very interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastrad-Tajine-Black-Silicone-/350529957281?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6746154414117601903

You should also check Craiglist, as it's the kind of thing people sometimes get as a gift but never end up using!

Freedom
03-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Good idea Karen, thanks. Not sure I AM getting one. Just looking into it for now. Expensive and want to be sure I am going to USE it for that price.

pomtzu
03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Isn't this basically like just cooking a meal in a slow cooker/crock pot with a ceramic liner?

kittycats_delight
03-03-2012, 02:47 PM
The ones we had at the restaurant were from Morocco. The chef got them from there and they were terra cotta. Ours were just like this. 52872

This is what Moroccan tagine is.

Tajines in Moroccan cuisine are slow-cooked stews braised at low temperatures, resulting in tender meat with aromatic vegetables and sauce. They are traditionally cooked in the tajine pot, the conical cover which has a knob-like handle at its top to facilitate removal. While simmering, the cover can be lifted off without the aid of a mitten, enabling the cook to inspect the main ingredients, add vegetables, mix the contents, or add additional braising liquid.
Most tajines involve slow simmering of less-expensive meats.

Have emailed you the recipes.

Freedom
03-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Got the recipes, thanks, they sound SOOoo yummy!

Lilith Cherry
03-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Please may I have the recipes too? I have the chinese terra cotta version and it really makes delicious soups and stews from really tough cuts of meat. I just make them up as I go along lol~

Freedom
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Ellie, since I don't use either one, I couldn't respond. I asked Linda the woman on FB who just bought a tajine. Here is her reply:

no..its not the same as a slow cooker at all Sandie..a slow cooker is just that..slow..I did the Morroccan recipe in mine in well under 40 mins..brill!..so tender..the slow cooker lids are flat..the tagine is conical..all the steam runs back down keeping the flavour locked in..so..you now have the answer..lol

pomtzu
03-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Ellie, since I don't use either one, I couldn't respond. I asked Linda the woman on FB who just bought a tajine. Here is her reply:

no..its not the same as a slow cooker at all Sandie..a slow cooker is just that..slow..I did the Morroccan recipe in mine in well under 40 mins..brill!..so tender..the slow cooker lids are flat..the tagine is conical..all the steam runs back down keeping the flavour locked in..so..you now have the answer..lol

Thanks for the explanation. Since slow works for me, I guess I'll just stick with my crockpot. The steam on the lid runs/drips back down into the pot, so anything I cook is always moist and tender. Just takes longer to get that way! :D

cassiesmom
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
I saw this one in the Food Network magazine. I don't know that much about Moroccan food other than couscous.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60087707/#

Edited to add (from IKEA Web site)
Key features
- Thick walls evenly distribute the heat so that the food is heated up from several directions.
- Thick base prevents food from easily burning and sticking to the pan.
- Made from thick anodized aluminum with Teflon® Professional non-stick coating; allows ingredients for the tagine to boil for a long time without getting burnt and stuck to the pan.
- Thanks to the lid, steam changes into liquid which drips down on the food during cooking; tastes and consistency develop and the food takes care of itself.
- Rounded interior; makes stirring and beating easy.

I've got my grandmother's crock pot, circa 1975- the first style that came out with the removable pot. It works great! It's a lovely, attractive 1970s burnt orange color, eek. But it works really really well. My sister-in-law has a large one that's an oval shape and she can put a whole chicken in it (don't even have to cut it up first) or even a small roast.

Lilith Cherry
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
My Chinese one has a domed ceramic lid but not a tall as the tagine. It is still fast though and the flavours are great. Thanks for the recipes.

This is a picture of the shop where I bought it in Foshan, China

Freedom
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Interesting! Thanks for posting that.

The tajine, every says to be sure to get a clay one. Not sure what that black one is made of which you posted.

cassiesmom
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Part of my new year's resolution was to eat fewer salty, high fat foods and more vegetables, fish and fruits- basically more straight-forward healthful foods. I bet a tagine would cook vegies and steam fish very nicely. I wonder what kinds of seasonings are typical of Moroccan foods.

kittycats_delight
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Please may I have the recipes too? I have the chinese terra cotta version and it really makes delicious soups and stews from really tough cuts of meat. I just make them up as I go along lol~

I have sent Sandie and email asking she forward the recipes on to you.

Lilith Cherry
03-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Sandie, the black one is also clay, just a different glaze. Thos pots come in all shapes and sizes for making Chinese herbal medicines as well as food.

Thanks Kittycats Delight, Sandie was kind enough to send me the recipes:)

smokey the elder
03-06-2012, 08:48 AM
I love Moroccan food. A tagine sounds like a reflux condenser (I know, nerd alert.:D)

Freedom
03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I love Moroccan food. A tagine sounds like a reflux condenser (I know, nerd alert.:D)

Ahahaaaaaa, yes, it sure does! :confused: :D

kitten645
03-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I sell cookware. We sell alot of tagines It doesn't really matter what material it's made of. It's the shape that counts. A good but expensive one is from All Clad. I like it because the bottom is stainless steal so you can braise/brown your meat stovetop and finish it off in the oven. You can get an inexpensive clay one too.

cassiesmom
03-06-2012, 10:13 PM
The ones we had at the restaurant were from Morocco. The chef got them from there and they were terra cotta. Ours were just like this. 52872

This is what Moroccan tagine is.

Tajines in Moroccan cuisine are slow-cooked stews braised at low temperatures, resulting in tender meat with aromatic vegetables and sauce. They are traditionally cooked in the tajine pot, the conical cover which has a knob-like handle at its top to facilitate removal. While simmering, the cover can be lifted off without the aid of a mitten, enabling the cook to inspect the main ingredients, add vegetables, mix the contents, or add additional braising liquid.
Most tajines involve slow simmering of less-expensive meats.

Have emailed you the recipes.

Do you set it directly on the burner, though? If it is clay, would I need to put it in a pot of simmering water to start the steam -- like a bain marie? With the All-Clad I wouldn't be afraid to place the metal bottom right on the burner or in the oven.

Freedom
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Most will require a diffuser (those are not expensive). I was browsing on ebay, and some say diffuser not needed. Most are dishwasher safe and say so.

kittycats_delight
03-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Do you set it directly on the burner, though? If it is clay, would I need to put it in a pot of simmering water to start the steam -- like a bain marie? With the All-Clad I wouldn't be afraid to place the metal bottom right on the burner or in the oven.

I don't know about electric stove tops but I know our chef used fire burners and used it directly on the burner. It isn't at all like a bagna maria. No need to put it into anything. It is made specifically for in the shape it is for that reason.

Lilith Cherry
03-07-2012, 06:04 PM
The Chinese clay pots can be used directly over a flame ( Most households in China have only gas burners and no ovens) They have to be soaked in cold water for a coupe of days before using on the flame; I have never had one crack or break on me in over 10 years of using them.