PDA

View Full Version : Interview questions help

Pembroke_Corgi
03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I applied for an internship for this summer and they want to set up a phone interview that will last about 45 minutes next week. It's in research/statistics/psychometrics in the field of education. I really hope to get it since it will give me good experience, it pays well, and it's in the town my mom lives in (in another state), so Lyra and I and the corgis would get to stay with her for a few months over the summer and I could see my extended family.

I always feel so nervous during interviews that I end up sounding like an idiot. What are some ways that you answer typical interview questions?

For some reason I hate vague questions/statements like "Tell me about yourself." I blank out even when I have an answer prepared. I think since it's over the phone, I may actually have a few things written down so if I go blank, I'll have it in front of me. I'm guessing they'll ask questions more geared towards the work, so I plan on providing plenty of examples of things I've done in the field. But, any and all advice is welcome! I'm pleased I heard back from them so quickly and I hope it's a good sign. :)

Freedom
03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh yes, being it is a phone interview, jot down some answers for:
- tell me about yourself
- describe your proudest achievement
- tell me about one thing you wish you handled differently and why

Best wishes, sounds like a great opportunity for you!

Karen
03-02-2012, 08:12 PM
What interests you about this position?

Where do you see yourself in (5) years?

What skills would you be bringing to our organization?

Edwina's Secretary
03-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Absolutely take the time to write down some things. There is nothing more frustrating to an interviewer than candidates who give short, vague answers! (Had two of those yesterday...:rolleyes:)

Make a list of what you think the interviewer will want to know about you - or SHOULD want to know about you. Both technical and behavioral. By behavioral I mean - dependable, able to work with little supervision, gets along well with others, etc. Then think of a story from your professional/educational experience that demonstrates your skills/abilities in each area. Specific. When I was working on the ABC project I discovered that XWQ happened and I fixed it by MKI. Make notes to have in front of you.

If they ask the question..."tell me about yourself" be prepared to talk about how you became interested in your field, your successes, the challenges and how you overcame them. They are not, or should not, be interested in whether you are married, or have children, or personal stuff.

Even if they ask a vague question - go with a very specific answer.

You also need to prepare your questions. Have a couple questions about the organization, the position for which you are interviewing and...the interviewer! Such as "how did you get involved in this project" whatever. Asking people about themselves is very flattering and builds a bond.

And do not forget your thank you notes. Email is fine but send within 24 hours.

Good luck!

Pembroke_Corgi
03-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Thank you for all the advice! I had the interview this afternoon - I may know about the position as early as the end of the week, or in a few weeks since the person in charge of this project is going on vacation.

It was especially helpful to have some good questions prepared; it showed I had done "my homework" and was actually interested in the project. By the end of an interview I am usually more comfortable so I'm glad those come last.