PDA

View Full Version : All male cats?

rosethecopycat
11-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Now that my paper work has been accepted by Siamese Cat Rescue, I received a phone call, asking me, among other things, if I was set on getting a male. I have two boys already. My instinct is to get another male, but she said that I would have to sign something saying if any of my cats started spraying, I'd have to keep the new one. Overall it was a very good conversation.

Where are my people with all male cats? Sunny and Storm and Pepper's Mama, where are you?
Has this happened to you?

I guess I don't mind a female. I just had it in my head saying, "Da Boys"

rosethecopycat

Barbara
11-15-2002, 10:45 AM
I do not fully understand your question (which might be a language problem, sorry). I have 2 boys, both neutered. Filou from time to time takes the position as if he wanted to spray but he does nothing. I never saw that they did take that as a method to settle their arguments (which they have). If you get a new cat you can always get trouble. Most of the time it's just temporarily but there is no guarantee they will be friends. To my experience it is more a problem of the age and character of the cats than the sex.
Of course all things change with un-neutered toms (if you are a breeder). I think they can live with neutered toms (the father of Filou was in a household with 5 other cats) but not with a direct competitor.

rosethecopycat
11-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'm of course talking about all nuetered cats.
The rescue says it likes to place cats in mixed gendered households so there is less rivalry. I understand that all females is not a good situation, if you want your cats to be cuddly friends, but I never heard of that with males. Now, the spraying issue, Thanks God my two boys have never done it, but my two prior boy Tuxes did, later in life. They were only cats and I never figured out why.

I'd rather take their advice and get a female that have one of mine start spraying. But, I was just wondering what the opinion out there was on having all boy cats. And who, if anyone has had problems.

kitten645
11-15-2002, 01:40 PM
I've had all boys, both from the same litter and adopted brothers and I've never had problems. I've also had girls but they were one cat situations. I've found boy kitties to be mellower but of course just like people all kitties are different. Could be I just lucked out with laid back boys! I've (THANKFULLY!) never had a spraying problem once the boys were fixed. I'd encourage an all boy situation but thats based on only my personal experience. :)

jenluckenbach
11-15-2002, 01:50 PM
I love the males also. I have 8 male cats. 3 female cats. They are neutered, and even the last one that came to live with me, which was an intact male stray cat (neutered as soon as possible, but it took 3 weeks for appointment) and I have never had a problem. Now, since you are talking a breed rescue, vs. just a "mutt" cat rescue, a lot of the times the cats were used for breeding and have traits sort of "drilled" into their personality. This may be what she is concerned with. Personally, I would have a red flag warning if any rescue agency said I have to KEEP THE NEW CAT if something went wrong. All the associations around here (and there are A LOT) will take back their cats willingly if it does not work out. So I would say that your biggest concern ISN'T whether you cdan or should get a male, it should be WHERE do I get him from.

Cataholic
11-15-2002, 02:17 PM
I am afraid I am in complete agreement with JBL. I thought I had misread your comment about "can't take the cat back"..but, apparently not. I have never heard of a rescue operation that doesn't require you to sign something saying "I will return the cat to your organization if something doesn't work out". So, I would question that, first.

Next, I am a even multi cat household. My mom is an odd male household. Neither of us have had spraying/territory/gender related issues. I really think it has all to do with the alpha status established before the newbie comes along. My males are move snuggable...but, all my cats let me squish all over them...except for Minnie, but that isn't her fault.

rosethecopycat
11-15-2002, 02:56 PM
Well,
That's what I thought she said on the phone.
You'll have to sign something if any cat starts spraying, you can't give it back for THAT reason, because they recommend mixed genders.

It is a Siamese rescue but the cats are mutts. :)
They are virtually all mixed. That doesn't bother me at all.

I will heed jenluckenbach's advice and clarify what they mean before I enter into rescueing one.
I'm interested in a youth or kitten, so a tom history shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks all.

wayne0214
11-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Although I also have a multiple cat household, spraying is never a problem with neutered males. My menagerie is mixed male and female. Although there are 2 males that have not been neutered yet. and two females not spayed (due to their ages), there has not been any such problems with my 'kids.

Also I am in complete agreement with cataholic, in that I would question why they would not allow you to return for exchange a pet that does not work out with the ones you already have. I have even seen this option on signed agreements from shelters . This is one of the first things that I ask any shelter overseer.:)

........wayne