PDA

View Full Version : Fister has an appointment on March 1st and March 8th

Randi
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Fister is going to the vet for a check-up - along with Shanga, who I looked after again recently. They’ll be going in the same car, Fister in his box, and I suppose Shanga in hers. I hope there’ll be no hissing!

Fister has slowed down and he is miawing for me to come and lay next to him, and often wakes me up a couple of times during night. He eats and drinks and pees and poops, so that's good, but he sometimes misses when he jumps up on thedesk. He has let me brush his teeth for a while now, but only the front ones - he doesn’t mind that too much. I’m a bit worried about his gums, though, but he doesn’t have bad breath. I really hope he won't have to have any teeth extracted. He’ll be 16 years old in May.

You all may think I’m crazy, but the astrologer Karen spoke to on the radio show, said that Fister will be more sensitive to any kind of medication in this period and that will go on for another 6-7 months.
I hope you'll send him some positive thoughts. Thank you! :love:

Here are a few recent pictures of Fister.

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52851&d=1330528146

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52853&d=1330528209

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52852&d=1330528187

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52850&d=1330528112

Edwina's Secretary
02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Be a good boy Fister! And fingers, toes and paws crossed for a good outcome. One thing is for sure...you are the MOST gorgeous Orangeman there is!

Catty1
02-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Orange Fister - I hope the vet finds a simple way to perk you up a bit. I hope you don't need any toofies pulled - that can hurt! Hugs and cuddles to you. :love::love:

cassiesmom
02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Dear golden orange Fister, our fingers and paws are crossed for you :love:

phesina
02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts and warm energies are being sent for Fister and Shanga too. May the exams go well.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

Felicia's Mom
02-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts to Fister and Randi.:love:

ChrisH
02-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Aww, those pink paw pads :love:.
Most gorgeous Fister boy, sending lots of positive and good thoughts for all to go well for you tomorrow.

btw great photos Randi!

Karen
02-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Awww, hope the trip goes well, and they can find a way to make you feel better, handsome boy. You'll be in our prayers.

sallyandsnowx
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Hello beautiful Fister, I hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow. :love:

Pinot's Mom
02-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Fister, honey, Pinot sends kitty kisses for your visit - be well, sweetie! :love:

slick
02-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Poor sweet Fister. I'm sending lots of pawsitive thoughts and love to you both. :love::love:

Sorry I've been AOL - retirement has me running in circles.

kitten645
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Fister my love, you've been a staple of Pet Talk as long as I've been here. I adore your freckles and hope all goes well on your visit with the white coats.
Randi, I don't think you are crazy at all. You live with this beautiful boy every day and you know as a mom what's going on. Don't let him be over medicated if you feel it isn't right. We all get old. Missing the desk is okay if you are there to help/catch him.
He looks health and happy. Well groomed and just enjoying his life with you. All is good. It's natural to worry but he looks fit as a fiddle to me. :love::love::p

Barbara
03-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Sending all my best thoughts to wonderful Fister. May he become 24 years old. At least;)

Randi
03-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Thank you, all! :) The assistant had mixed up the time and thought we were coming next thursday, but they fit us in, so both Fister and Shanga had a check-up today. I’m glad to tell you that the vet thought Fister looked fine, and his numbers were within normal range. :) However, the Alat number was quite a bit higher than usual. I'll have to find out what that means. He hadn't lost weight, he weighs 7,6 kg. He also got his vaccination, since I’ll let him down in the yard this summer, if he wants to.

So, we’re going again next thursday to have his teeth cleaned a have a closer look at his gums. Shanga may need her teeth done too. It was impossible to look closely without anethesia. :eek: The vet was a bit shocked at how wild she was, she was growling and trying to attack him with her paw. She has given me a few scratches before, while I looked after her. She just doesn’t like strangers to be close to her head.

I have Fister‘s numbers from previous years and have added the one from 2012.

Urea = Kidney
Alat = Liver
Glucose = Sugar

Urea 11,6 (normal = 5,7-12,9)
Alat 45 U/L ( normal = 12-130)
Glucose 7,02 (normal = 3.94-8,83)
+ Vaccination

Urea 10,7 (normal = 5,7-12,9)
Alat 40 U/L ( normal = 12-130)
Glucose 6,14 (normal = 3.94-8,83)
Vægt: 6.9 kg

Urea 10,2 (normal = 5,7-12,9)
Alat 42 ( normal = 12-130)
Glucose 7,36 (normal = 3.94-8,83)

Urea 11.0 (normal = 5,7-12,9)
Alat 78 ( normal = 12-130)
Glucose 5,74 (normal = 3.94-8,83)
+ vaccination

catmandu
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
:love::love:
We are so glad taht Our Senior Owesome Orange Cat has come through his tests with good results.
We are praying taht you and Fantastic Fister have many more years of love together.:love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Fister so glad you had a good check up. Hopefully, you will feel a bit more energetic when spring comes and you can watch birds and other critters. Winters are boring for us all, right sweetie? Have your mom give you a head kiss from me, ok? :love:

Lizzie
03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Very, very glad that Fister came through his check-up so well. It is worrying when they get older and you feel such a thrill when their results come back in normal range. As to the alat increase, perhaps he has a slight infection in his liver? This won't give him a temperature but can cause in slight increase in that level. If your vet thinks that, he will give you some antibiotics for Fister, but it may be so little over normal that he feels it's of no concern.

We will look forward to seeing photos of Fister in his garden in a few months time.

Randi
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Thank you, Gary, Moff and Lizzie. :) I will surely pass on some kisses from you. :love:

Lizzie, I will definitely ask about the Alat level. Since he has put on a bit of weight, that might influence the number - who knows. One time, when my cholesterol level was a bit high, my liver level had gone up, too. I think I'll give him less treats for a while. ;)

phesina
03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
So glad to learn that Fister is doing well, and best wishes and prayers are being sent for the dental treatment for Fister and Shanga to go well too.

God bless all of you!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
03-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Fister, I am so glad you got a good report at the doctor! *kisses* for you, sweet orangey kitty!

Felicia's Mom
03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Glad to know that Fister had a good check-up!

lizbud
03-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm glad that Fister did well at his Vet visit. Did you handle both cats at the Vet or did Shanga's
owner come with you? I wondered how Fister reacted to being nearby to Shanga. ;)

My Orangie boy, Redbud) has also started missing some of his jumps too. He is 14 yrs old and I hate
that he's getting older.

momcat
03-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Fister, I'm so happy to know that your vet check went so well. Please ask your Meowmie to give you lots of lovies from me? :love: :love:

Bengalz
03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Fister you are a gorgeous boy and thank goodness a healthy one too:D Randi you must be relieved to know that things are pretty normal with your little man. Getting his teeth cleaned may be a little stressful but ultimately much better for Fister and his well-being. Lots of positive vibs going your way; everything will work out just fine:love:

Cataholic
03-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Fister, so glad my fave orangie is A-OK! Smooches to you.
Tell your meowmie that I, too, miss a few jumps! And some other things I am too polite to mention publically. :D

ChrisH
03-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Yay for a good check up result! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/KissBlowsHeartSmiley.gif

Sending good & positive thoughts for the Thursday teeth cleaning.

Killearn Kitties
03-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Best of luck for having your teeth cleaned, Fister! :love: You are looking adorable as always. :love:
Oscar has to have his teeth cleaned next week too. He will be with Fister in spirit!

katladyd
03-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I am so happy you had a good check up Fister! You are so special to your Meowmie and all of us here on PT! Sending cyber kisses to a very handsome orangeman. Mmwwaahh! Mmwwaahh!:love::love:

Randi
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Could I please ask for some more positive thoughts for Fister tomorrow? He is going to have his teeth cleaned - not sure if any will have to come out. He has red gums. You know I'm always so worried about anthesia. The vet has three different kinds, he says the one he will use is also used for heart patients and children.

Fister had his vaccination and blood tests last week, they were within the normal range. :)

He is allowed to drink, but no food after midnight.

Thank you! :)

Karen
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Good thoughts sent your way, and maybe you should pick up some ear plugs, as he will likely complain you are starving him with that "no food after midnight" thing!

phesina
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Lots of love and prayers and warm healing energies are being sent to Fister as he gets his dental work done. Dear boy, may you come home with bright shiny toofies and no ouchies!!!

Randi
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Karen, I've tried earplugs before, they bother me so much that I can't fall asleep.

it's about 8pm here and I just gave him half a pouch of Whiskas chicken in jelly, he loves that, and I will give him a bit of Royal Canin's Sensitive when I go to bed. The appointment is 9.40 GMT. Shanga is coming, too, also for a dental.

Thank you all for your good vibes! :love:

cassiesmom
03-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Big prayers for Fister and Shanga!!

phesina
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Lots of love and prayers and warm healing energies are being sent to Fister as he gets his dental work done. Dear boy, may you come home with bright shiny toofies and no ouchies!!!

And the same for Shanga too!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Prayers on the way from me to for all of you!!! :love:

Felicia's Mom
03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Sending lots of positive thoughts to Fister, Shanga and Randi.:love:

mrspunkysmom
03-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Prayers and pawsitive thoughts for Fister, Shanga, and Randi.

catmandu
03-08-2012, 09:30 AM
All of Our Awesome Angels, especially those Animals of an Orange Hue are praying for Our Senior Orange Cat Fister:love: to be all right.
He is such an Owesome Orange Man.:D

Randi
03-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Fister is home!:love: :) :love:

It's always very difficult to see him sedated, he didn't move one bit when I opened the box. It really takes a long time for him to come around. When we got home I put him on my bed and he did try to move around a little, but fell over. I put him on the floor while in the kitchen and he just wants to hide under the bed or cupboard. He ate a few slurps of wet food and a few kibbles, but he almost feel asleep over them. I'll let him be for now.

He had two teeth out and a good cleaning and I got something called Metacam (Meloxicam) to give him orally for 4 days, starting tomorrow. It's a painkiller.

Shanga had eight teeth out, but she was already awake when we came to pick them up - and complaining!

Gosh, I tired! Thanks for all of your good thoughts! :)

cassiesmom
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Yay, Fister! I hope you wake up from the anesthesia just fine and the meloxicam gives you a lot of relief from pain.

And Shanga, my goodness, eight teeth!

Cataholic
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
What a visit! Poor Fister. Waking up from that stuff is like trying to see through oatmeal. I hope you recover by morning.

Shanga- OUCH! I hope once the pain from the extraction wears off you will be much more happier.

Randi
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm just SO relieved that it is done. I have postponed it all winter because I was worried about the anesthesia.

At 5Pm he had managed to jump or climb up on the bed by himself. :) He has eaten some more now and has even been in his litterbox. He can already walk in fairly straight line. :D

Killearn Kitties
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm so pleased to hear that handsome Fister is back home and safe. Please give him some snugglies from me! :love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late at replying. I've been lurking here more than posting because I just haven't had the time to post.:o I'm so glad to hear that Fister's exam went well and that he's also doing well after his dental cleaning.:) My poor Storm also needs to have a dental cleaning and he'll also have several teeth extracted.:( His gums are in very bad shape and he has horrible breath.:( Other than that he's doing well for a 16 year old and his blood work and thyroid T4 test also came back normal. He has lost a little more weight too. He'll go in on April 2nd and I sure hope that he'll do as well as Fister. I hope that Fister recovers quickly and that his will be that last dental cleaning that he'll ever need.:)

Randi
03-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Thank you! :)

I let Fister eat small portions last night. He slept next to me all night. :love:

At 5 this morning, he puked a little, so I was concerned about giving him the painkiller (Metacam). You can read about it here: http://www.drugs.com/pro/meloxicam.html

I called the vet and talked to his asistant, she said there should be no problems, but if he puked after getting it, I should not give him more - we'll see! I gave slightly less than what I was told, and now he is sleeping in his own bed, after breakfast and brushing. :)

Another thing she said was, that I can get something to put in his drinking water, which will prevent build up of plague, so I will probably get that. It's to be used when cats has clean teeth.

KAK, I hope Storm's dental will go smoothly, too! :love:

phesina
03-09-2012, 05:09 AM
So glad that Fister and Shanga both went through their dental work so well!

Edwina's Secretary
03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Dear Fister,

I am so glad to hear your dental work went so well! I am suppose to have my teeth cleaned too. But I am very afraid. Not just of the dentist but also --- how much Edwina will beat me up when I come home smelling like a dental cleaning!

Do you have any advice or should I just be a tom like you and just take my lumps?

Eddie

Randi
03-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Dear Eddie,

It's never much fun to go to the dentist, but you will feel so much better when it's done. How do you react to anethesia? You know, there are different kinds, so you should have your secretary ask the vet which one will be best for you, and to give you as little as possible. I take such a long time to come out of it.

Yes, you will smell different when you come home and Edwina will not like it. :eek: So the first thing to do when you get home, is to insist that Blondie or Curly rub you all over with a soft wet cloth to get some of that horrible smell off. After that, it will feel good to be put on the big bed and have a good rest - I can see that that might be a challenge, with miss Edwina around, but you can ask to have the door closed. ;) Make sure your mom or dad stay with you, so you won't fall down. My mom had put me in the wrong place on the bed, so I simply had to give it a try and I managed to crawl to the exact spot I wanted to be... her pillow. Still, I fell over a few times.

At 9PM I was able to walk in a fairly straight line and I could finally eat some food. :D

Good luck with your dental, Eddie, I hope you will only need a cleaning. I send you purrs and good thoughts, and lots of kisses from my mom. :love: :love:

Your friend
Fister

Sara, my vet said that I should prevent Fister from getting draft until he was back to normal, so off with the AC and balcony door closed.

moosmom
03-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Randi,

SO glad they made it through the procedure. I know how stressing it can be. Hang in there, girl!!;):love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Hey Fister, you always look so handsome on your pics :love::love::love:!!!!
I am so glad to read that you were such a great boy at the vet's!
Don't you worry about a few lost teeth, you have plenty more to eat aal the kibble your mom gives you ;).Yesterday I lost a teethe too! My mom found it and put it away in a little box...; I wonder why, as it is way to small for her own mouth, right!??
Love from Maya, one of the Gabriels Girls:love: