PDA

View Full Version : How much does your vet charge for a physical exam?

Pembroke_Corgi
02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm just wondering what the average charge is for a physical exam during a "sick" visit. It seems like no matter what, I can't leave the vet's office without owing at least $100 minimum. Even though I've lived in my current house for nearly 4 years, I haven't found a vet I really like for the cats, so we've tried a few different offices (I take the dogs to their old vet, but since it's around 30 minutes away I don't want to subject the cats to the car that long!).

Pippin needed to be seen today at an office I've been to a few times with the cats. Anyway, they charged $50 just for the exam, which seems like a lot- is this normal? I swear every time I go (no matter where) this charge is higher!

Grace
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Our Vet charges just under $30 for a wellness/yearly check-up. But the cost of vaccines gets added to that.

We changed Vets a couple of years ago. Much as we liked our old Vet, the cost was becoming prohibitive - we have 6 cats! There we paid around $45 for the check-up - plus the vaccines. And if they needed their teeth cleaned - we would have had to open a home equity line of credit!! No lie - when we left them, 3 of the cats needed teeth cleaning, and the cost would have been on par with our yearly real estate taxes.

chocolatepuppy
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
A wellness exam is $38.00 at my vet.

Freedom
02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Wellness exam is $45 here. I too can't get out of there at under $100! I tell them I want an inscription on a floor tile: this tile paid for by Sandie's pets! :D

I've done away with "wellness" exams for the most part. Everyone of the 15 now has the 3 years rabies shot. And I don't maintain any of the other vaccines; I'm quite sure if I titered, they would be covered. So it is just acute visits for the next 2 years.

catnapper
02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
My vet charges $5 per cat. I really wiah they would allow for a multiple cat discount, so if I took two cats, perhaps I would pay $80 for both instead of $90

phesina
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
My vet charges $5 per cat. I really wiah they would allow for a multiple cat discount, so if I took two cats, perhaps I would pay $80 for both instead of $90

FIVE DOLLARS PER CAT??? Where is your vet? I think it would be worth the trip!

Freedom
02-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Pat, she means $45, not $5, lol. That is how you get the $90!

I came back and re-read this, you asked about the office visit if the pet is ill. For my vet, the office visit is the same, wellness exam or acute case. We do get a discount for follow up visits related to the same ailment / issue, those are just $35.

krazyaboutkatz
02-28-2012, 12:09 AM
I think that all of you have it made. I pay much more but I also live in California where everything is much more expensive. I go to a vet hospital that is also an ER hospital so they're always open 24 hours a day. For an annual exam or any other regular exam during normal business hours with an appointment it's $69.00 for the first pet and $45.00 for each additional pet. They just started doing the multipet discounts unless I just haven't noticed it for a while. For a recheck for any animal it's $45.00.

Also the vet that you see is the one that puts in the charges so many times if I see my regular vet, she'll give me discounts. When Alani went back for a recheck I was told at the front desk that there would be no charge today.:) I love my regular vet because she's very compassionate, caring, and she also specializes in feline medicine and surgery. If one of my cats needs to be seen and there aren't any appointments available, then I'm considered an urgent care case and it would then cost me $90.00 I think and if for some reason I had to go back again as an urgent care case with the same animal then it would cost me $69.00. I think that they may charge more for ER visits after 10pm but I'm not sure. All animals must also have exams within the last year to be prescribed any kind of medication. I always take all 6 of my cats in for annual exams. After they receive all kitten shots and then an FVRCP shot once they're 1 year old and one rabies shot then I don't vaccinate them any more. They're all indoor only and my vet doesn't like to overvaccinate either.

snakemama
02-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I pay between $55 and $75 for an exam. I space ours out because it's a stretch to get everyone at once!

pomtzu
02-28-2012, 05:27 AM
My vet charges $30 per visit - not per animal - so of course I schedule both of the Fuzzbuttz checkups together. Of course any meds, blood work, x-rays, etc needed, push the bill up. She is still the best and the least expensive vet around, and I have gone to her for what seems like forever.

GILL
02-28-2012, 07:06 AM
I use 3 differate vets. 1 I used for almost 30 years. The his group has grown and so has his prices. A wellness vist is $ 95.00. The secound is 62 and the 3rd is 87.

catmandu
02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Our Vet Dr Peter Marsales is quite reasonable, he charges 100 dollars to visit as I am about 20 miles away , 35 dollars per Cat for thier exams and then the cost of the vaccines.;)
We certainly would be far more challanged to take Our Friends on the bus to the Vets and we get a huge advantage in having a thoroughly professional Vet and a Fine Man.:D
With Nine Found Hotel Cats it will be like old times again at the Found Cat Hotel:love::love:

Taz_Zoee
02-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Anytime one of the "kids" has to see the vet it's around $50! If they just see the vet tech it's only the cost of the shot or whatever is being done. And my vet is per animal, not per visit. :mad:

cassiesmom
02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
At the cat clinic it's between $45 and $55 to start. Goes up from there.

kittycats_delight
02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Wow...I am so glad I found the vet I have now. I have never spent more than €100 at my vet. That was for bloodwork, everything including for a spay, take home meds & follow-up if needed. The annual wellness checkup with all vaccines is €40. Without vaccines the cost is €20 and that doesn't matter if it is 1 cat or all 6.

moosmom
02-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Windsor Animal Clinic charges me about $85. $40 for the office visit and the rest for the exam. Pretty reasonable, I think. He also gives me a 10% senior discount (LOOOOVE being old!!)

mrspunkysmom
02-28-2012, 08:33 PM
You know, I stopped paying attention, because it was depressing. I figured I wasn't negotiating my way out of it, so I just pay it and go on. I did show a bill to a friend because her vet charged more, but he tested her cat each year for FLEV even though she ws vaccinated each year. I think the office visit is about $40.00.

It cost me $129 each for Emily's and Bob's initial vetting. It was about the same for Bertie/Bella. It was around $350 for Jane because she had to be spayed.

I got pampered by two women vets several years back whose main interest was caring for the animal and not cleaning out my purse. Best vets in this area. I'm looking for a new one.

Greenville is an expensive area.

catmandu
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Found Cat Hotel Bumpie:love:

wolf_Q
03-04-2012, 01:28 PM
I go to two different vets depending on which one I can get into. One is more expensive (but still less than a lot of vets - though they keep going up every year they are almost as much as the others now). They charge about $35-$40 for an exam (per pet) there's no separate office visit fee though. If it's an exam for vaccinations or like a recheck it's usually $20 something. If I just get a rabies shot they don't charge an exam fee but if it's all the shots they do. The other vet is an old fashioned guy he is way cheaper than any other vet and he seems to know his stuff I would go to him more but he's only open on weekdays till 3 sometimes only 1 or 2 and I work till at least 4 so it's hard to get into him. The other vet is open until 6 and on saturdays and they have I think 3 different vets so if it's something I need to go to that day I go there. I'm not sure exactly how much an exam is at his place I think around $30, the last time I went there he did an exam, skin scraping, and gave me two different medications for around $50. I had him remove a lump from Nebo a year or so ago and he charged me $40 every other vet quoted me $300+ to remove one small lump.

katladyd
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
For a check up where they are weighed, their teeth are examined, and their general state of health is evaluated, I pay $52. Shots, blood work, dental work are all extra. I can get a full blood panel done for about $180. They will take payments if the bill is large, so that helps. If vets keep this up, people are only going to go to them for emergencies and that is sad.:(

Husky_mom
03-04-2012, 03:33 PM
the expensive vet.. regular consult with or without shots is around 30-35.. urgent ones range around 50 but even those are not 24/7 :(

the other vet I'm started to go to charges around 15 .. yes, 15 (fifteen).. right now I payed no more than 20 and got home with meds included.. pretty awesome..

on cats he charges me around 8-10...