PDA

View Full Version : Found a baby guinea pig out on the streets

sallyandsnowx
02-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Yesterday evening after walking home from work, I heard a low squeaking noise. Naturally, I thought "Oh, it's just a mouse" so I started to walk away. Then I got this feeling in my gut to take a look around just in case. Here, I stumbled upon a guinea pig hiding behind a trashcan.. :eek: I immediately picked him up and ran home. Once I got to my house, I quickly set up a cage, give him food and water (which he drank A LOT of,) and called the vet. Unfortunately, they weren't in. I left a message, hoping they would call back soon. I looked over the guinea pig, he seemed fine: his fur wasn't matted, no visible cuts or scratches. I still didn't want to take a chance thinking he's fine. So I called another vet who's office is open on Sundays. She told me to bring him in right away.

Thankfully, everything with him is OK. She just said he wasn't a little dehydrated, so she shot water into him which will help the dehydration. She checked him out, found out he is a boy and is only a couple months old! She isn't sure exactly how many months, but she thinks less than 6.

We decided to keep him. He is such a sweet little fella. Very fast, might I add! Here is a picture of him after the vet visit:
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/erinelizabethxx/1330375630.jpg

Oh... and his name is Lucky. I figured that would suit him well. ;)

Karen
02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Congratulations on the rescue! I am sure that was Sally telling you to turn around!

pomtzu
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Poor little fella. Do you think maybe he got loose from somebody's house and that they might be looking for him? Might be an idea to ask around in the area that you found him, since I doubt he would have traveled too far. Just a thought............:)

sallyandsnowx
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Poor little fella. Do you think maybe he got loose from somebody's house and that they might be looking for him? Might be an idea to ask around in the area that you found him, since I doubt he would have traveled too far. Just a thought............:)

I was thinking this as well earlier! I found him around the corner from my house so I'm going to go out in a little to ask anyone if they lost him.

And Karen, probably! Sally knew we would take good care of the baby. :)

Karen
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I was thinking this as well earlier! I found him around the corner from my house so I'm going to go out in a little to ask anyone if they lost him.

And Karen, probably! Sally knew we would take good care of the baby. :)

That's good! Paul said maybe he accidentally got out, and it is a very good thing you found him before some cat or other predator did! Guine pigs are arable, but not exactly known for their navigational sense!

cassiesmom
02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Congratulations on the rescue! I am sure that was Sally telling you to turn around!

That's what I was thinking too ... Lucky made a noise at the right time because Sally knew you would look out for him :)

I was thinking this as well earlier! I found him around the corner from my house so I'm going to go out in a little to ask anyone if they lost him.:)

I hope no one claims him and he stays with you and Snow.

Freedom
02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh good job taking a closer look and caring for this sweet baby boy! Please give him a stroke from me. :love:

sallyandsnowx
02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I knocked on some doors in the surrounding blocks where I found Lucky and unfortunately no one said they lost a guinea pig. A couple of my neighbors said they will ask around also. I just hope someone didn't intentionally put him outside.. :(

sallyandsnowx
02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I hope no one claims him and he stays with you and Snow.

I hope so too! He's such a sweetheart. I think Snow likes him too because she always lays right next to his cage. :love: She does get a little jealous if I'm holding him, she'll run up to me, rub my legs and constantly meow until the attention is on her and not Lucky. Silly kitty. :p

TamanduaGirl
02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
That's how I wound up with Jupiter, well he didn't squeak and no trashcan but he was wandering the streets for months apparently from what I found out later. His old owners knew he was getting out and didn't care.

Good luck.

chocolatepuppy
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
He's so cute! I'm so glad you found the little guy!:)

cassiesmom
03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I just hope someone didn't intentionally put him outside.. :(

Even if they did, I am glad he's now inside with you and Snow!