PDA

View Full Version : Sadie found a skunk! :o

JuniorxMyxLove
02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
*sigh* My dog WOULD find a skunk, in the middle of February in Michigan, at 5:00 in the morning. :rolleyes:
I don't know how she does it.

But anyways...Sadie got skunked this morning. Since it's kind of the middle of winter, we had to wash her off inside. Of course, my bathroom was volunteered for this task, meaning that I'm afraid to even go in there right now haha. Also, since the aforementioned bathroom is across the hall from my bedroom, I now can't go in there without smelling skunk as well.

Luckily Sadie smells more like a wet dog now than skunk. Her collar might be beyond saving, but the damage everywhere else wasn't too bad.

She's been following me around all day and giving me this look, though
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/xxOHFxx/SDC10813.jpg

It's just...GAH. She's had the cone off for less than a week and she's already getting back into trouble!

On the plus side, she's super fluffy right now from her bath :)

happylabs
02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Look at the face! She is really feeling guilty. Poor girl. Dogs never seem to learn to stay away from the striped kitties. :D We had a dog Jasper that got tangled up with a skunk twice. Casey even managed to cross paths with one once as well.

What did you use to get the smell out?

Lady's Human
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I feel your pain. We had called Lady the skunkhound for a while because she hated skunks and would attack them if she smelled them. Now if we even think there's a skunk in the area we don't let her out.

JuniorxMyxLove
02-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Look at the face! She is really feeling guilty. Poor girl. Dogs never seem to learn to stay away from the striped kitties. :D We had a dog Jasper that got tangled up with a skunk twice. Casey even managed to cross paths with one once as well.

What did you use to get the smell out?

Tomato juice, plus some vinegar and then topped off with these like, lavender doggie wet wipes that helped get rid of the vinegar smell. It was pretty disgusting at first, but definitely minimized the skunk. Now the entire house just vaguely smells of skunk :p We actually had to air it out, which means that now it's freezing cold (but has somewhat fresh air aha)

She still smells a little so we'll have to bathe her again, but it's mostly her head now. We're getting there.

Karen
02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Look at that face! She sure is sorry! Maybe fluffy, but sorry nonetheless!

lizbud
02-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Awww, poor baby girl.:(:( Nothing personal sweetie, but you stink. (said it a sing song kind of voice) ;)
My pups have chased a lot of critters, but never a skunk, yet.:eek:

Freedom
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
*sigh* My dog WOULD find a skunk, in the middle of February in Michigan, at 5:00 in the morning. :rolleyes:
I don't know how she does it.

He he heee, oh my, sorry to laugh, but this line, oh gosh! Sadie, how DO you do it?!

Aw that face, says alot doesn't it?!

chocolatepuppy
02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Poor Sadie.:(

Freedom
02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Had to come back and tell you, I told my Dad about Sadie. Dad turned around and said, "Willy, I take it all back, you are NO trouble at all!" :D

Roxyluvsme13
02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Poor Sadie. She looks very sorry for what she did. Guess she learned her lesson now, hopefully? LOL. I would have to KILL Brennan if he ever did something like that, but I could very well see it happening :rolleyes:

beeniesmom
02-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Aww, poor gal. I'm sorry but I couldn't help but giggle. I can imagine the scene of her running toward the skunk and then getting sprayed... whoa, what just happened!

Queen of Poop
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Awwww, she looks soooooo sad. :(

happylabs
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Tomato juice, plus some vinegar and then topped off with these like, lavender doggie wet wipes that helped get rid of the vinegar smell. It was pretty disgusting at first, but definitely minimized the skunk. Now the entire house just vaguely smells of skunk :p We actually had to air it out, which means that now it's freezing cold (but has somewhat fresh air aha)

She still smells a little so we'll have to bathe her again, but it's mostly her head now. We're getting there.

I don't think I ever tried the vinegar but that is a good one.

I think, without looking it up, is that the skunk spray is sort of an oil that really sticks to the fur.

I remember the last time Jasper, who has been at the Rainbow Bridge now for almost 20-some years, still smelled faintly of skunk everytime he would get wet or if it was a damp day. I should dig up some pics of him and send them on to Dog of the Day. He was another one of those one in a million Labs that I have had over the years.

Bonny
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Had to come back and tell you, I told my Dad about Sadie. Dad turned around and said, "Willy, I take it all back, you are NO trouble at all!" :D

Love your dads sense of humor. LOL! But poor Sadie really does have that sad skunked look.

JuniorxMyxLove
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM

:rolleyes: Goodness, Sadie just makes everyone look good! :p I swear, between my two dogs we have SO many problems!

Poor Sadie. She looks very sorry for what she did. Guess she learned her lesson now, hopefully? LOL. I would have to KILL Brennan if he ever did something like that, but I could very well see it happening :rolleyes:

You'd think, right?! This is like, the third time she's gotten sprayed by a skunk though, so I don't think so. Gah - she's almost 8 years old, she should be calming down soon, right?

I don't think I ever tried the vinegar but that is a good one.

I think, without looking it up, is that the skunk spray is sort of an oil that really sticks to the fur.

I remember the last time Jasper, who has been at the Rainbow Bridge now for almost 20-some years, still smelled faintly of skunk everytime he would get wet or if it was a damp day. I should dig up some pics of him and send them on to Dog of the Day. He was another one of those one in a million Labs that I have had over the years.

I'm guessing that my mom has googled this a few times :D