PDA

View Full Version : My left foot!

david p
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
A couple of nights ago I got up in out in bed in the dark (my nightlight died) and I banged my left foot against either the leg of the nightstand or the bed. Now there's a huge black & blue mark just below the little toes on that foot and there is some swelling. I had it x-rayed yesterday, but the doc hasn't told me the results yet. Some PT thoughts could help!

cassiesmom
02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
OW!!! I've done this more than once. Fingers tightly crossed that nothing is broken!

moosmom
02-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Oh Honey,

I HATE when that happens!!! I'm sure there were a few choice words spewing out of your mouth! Prayers that it's only a bruise and nothing is broken.

:love::love:

Donna

Karen
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Keep a very close watch on it, as a diabetic, things can turn nasty fast. I am sure your doctor told you this, but keep your foot elevated when you sleep, etc. We'll say a quick prayers nothing is actually broken and the bruise fades without further incident!

phesina
02-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Prayers and good wishes and healing energies are speeding their ways on your behalf, David. May this turn out not to be serious and to heal quickly.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and the cats

happylabs
02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Hope it is just bruised. There is nothing more painful than banging a toe on something.

kaycountrygal
02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh My! Sorry it happened. I have done the same thing and fractured my little toe. It was so sore & swollen that I cut out a hole in my sneaker so little toe would not be jammed in. I went to dr & got xray & sure enough, it was fractured. This happened 3 yrs ago & I dont remember specifics. I'm pretty sure he did practically nothing other than to tell me to elevate foot at night & be careful not to hit it again. Anyway it finally got better & I've not had any problems with it. I'm diabetic and my foot/toe healed properly.

carole
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
How is the foot doing Bro , i hope you are ok and not in pain, make sure you get it looked at if it gets worse and TAKE CARE, thinking of you.:love::love:

david p
02-24-2012, 11:06 AM
There's still no word about the results of the x-rays yet. I'm hoping to hear today or maybe over the weekend. The doctors don't work that fast! LOL!

Karen
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I would call every half hour today. The X-ray has been done, someone just needs to look at it, and it is better to know sooner rather than later in case something further needs to be done. Be persistent and your own best advocate. After all, if you were a major league pitcher, you know you'd have the results within minutes ...

pomtzu
02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Stay on them about it, David! Some years ago I broke the toe next to my big toe when I smashed it against the door frame. Doc didn't order an x-ray, and said there wasn't much to do other than to tape it to the other toes and wear loose fitting shoes for a few weeks. Since it was springtime, I just wore sandals and continued that thru the summer. Trouble is, when the weather cooled and I had to put a shoe on, it was so painful that I could barely stand the shoe for more than an hour or so. Come to find out - the break never healed, and I had to have 2 pins surgically implanted in my toe. Don't let it get to that!!! Keep calling till you get an answer, and if you have to be a PITA - then be one! :eek:

david p
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Stay on them about it, David! Some years ago I broke the toe next to my big toe when I smashed it against the door frame. Doc didn't order an x-ray, and said there wasn't much to do other than to tape it to the other toes and wear loose fitting shoes for a few weeks. Since it was springtime, I just wore sandals and continued that thru the summer. Trouble is, when the weather cooled and I had to put a shoe on, it was so painful that I could barely stand the shoe for more than an hour or so. Come to find out - the break never healed, and I had to have 2 pins surgically implanted in my toe. Don't let it get to that!!! Keep calling till you get an answer, and if you have to be a PITA - then be one! :eek:

Pomtzu, since the doctors are here in my facility here at Concordia, I'm keeping on their collective butts to find out what's happening!

pomtzu
02-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Pomtzu, since the doctors are here in my facility here at Concordia, I'm keeping on their collective butts to find out what's happening!

Well that's even better. You can be a PITA in person!!! :p:D

Randi
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Sending good thoughts that nothing is broken and your foot will get better. Take care! :)

cassiesmom
02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I would call every half hour today. The X-ray has been done, someone just needs to look at it, and it is better to know sooner rather than later in case something further needs to be done. Be persistent and your own best advocate. After all, if you were a major league pitcher, you know you'd have the results within minutes ...

Agree agree agree. This is me being PItA insurance nurse. You need to know today. It is Friday afternoon. You need those results.

david p
02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Alright! (cue the halleujah chorus!) There are no bones broken in my foot! There still is some swelling and that black and blue mark to go down yet, but that's one worry I don't have to have. My nightlight works again (also known as a lava lamp) so now I have no excuse!

Karen
02-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Thank goodness! Still keep it elevated and keep an eye on it, but we are glad for your sake that there are no broken bones. Feet have so many bones, and are of course furthest away from the heart, so everything takes seemingly forever to heal!

david p
02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=Karen;2408731]Thank goodness! Still keep it elevated and keep an eye on it, but we are glad for your sake that there are no broken bones. Feet have so many bones, and are of course furthest away from the heart, so everything takes seemingly forever to heal![/QUOTE

david p
02-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Thank goodness! Still keep it elevated and keep an eye on it, but we are glad for your sake that there are no broken bones. Feet have so many bones, and are of course furthest away from the heart, so everything takes seemingly forever to heal!

Karen, I'll still keep an eye on my foot (a pretty good trick if I could do it!). I'll still rest it a lot and try to stay off of it (if I can). A cane helps.

pomtzu
02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Glad to hear it's not broken. A broken anything really sucks! :p Just stay off it as much as possible for as long as you can, and watch for nightstands that jump out at you in the dark!!! :eek:

david p
02-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Glad to hear it's not broken. A broken anything really sucks! :p Just stay off it as much as possible for as long as you can, and watch for nightstands that jump out at you in the dark!!! :eek:

You're right! those nightstands have minds of their own!

cassiesmom
02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Alright! (cue the halleujah chorus!) There are no bones broken in my foot! There still is some swelling and that black and blue mark to go down yet, but that's one worry I don't have to have. My nightlight works again (also known as a lava lamp) so now I have no excuse!

Yay!

david p
02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
My foot is doing great. The swelling is going down and there's only a little bit of black and blue mark left. I still keep it propped up up when I can, but my foot is much better!

Alysser
02-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Those nightstands really do have a mind of their own! My Dad's friend fell over something in the dark and had to get stitches because of he hit the corner of the night stand with his bald head :eek:

Anyways, glad you're okay!! I hope the swelling goes down soon.

mrspunkysmom
02-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, furniture has legs for a reason.

David, I've broken the pinky toe on my left foot at least 4 times in the last 30 years. I was in college the first time and for a while, the only time I wore shoes was in a parking lot and that lasted 4 months. I couldn't wiggle the toes for ten years. That stool just leaped out in front of my foot.

I've got two blue toes right now because I keep hitting stuff. Not fun. I may have to start wearing shoes in the house.