PDA

View Full Version : George Washington's Birthday

Karen
02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
A friend of mine is "The Etiqueteer (http://etiquetteer.com/)" and has a good column honoring our first president, interpreting some of his sayings for modern times. But I love the last one so much I figured I'd share it with all of you!

GW 1.0: “110th, Labour to keep alive in your breast the little celestial fire called conscience.”

no update required!

Have some cherry pie and ponder!

Lady's Human
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
With or without the stones?

Karen
02-22-2012, 04:10 PM
With or without the stones?

That's up to you, I'm allergic to cherries now, anyway!

cassiesmom
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Labour to keep alive in your breast the little celestial fire called conscience.

-- I like that. He's famous for crossing the Delaware River and cutting down the cherry tree, not so much for an insightful quote like this one.

Edwina's Secretary
02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
A true story....some years ago I was working for a company in Chicago. It was February and we were deciding on that month's "treat" for employees. I suggested something with cherries. I was met with blank stares. I said - you know George Washington, his birthday, cut down the cherry tree? More blank stares. So I told the legend of George and his little hachet.

Intrigued I asked..."you do know who George Washington was?" Oh...they knew he was "the father of our country." They could not tell me what that meant though. So I asked..."he was a general in a war...what war was it?" After thinking for a bit..."World War II!" was the answer I got.

Now that I think about it...perhaps one of them was named Palin....;);)

mrspunkysmom
02-22-2012, 06:32 PM
A true story....some years ago I was working for a company in Chicago. It was February and we were deciding on that month's "treat" for employees. I suggested something with cherries. I was met with blank stares. I said - you know George Washington, his birthday, cut down the cherry tree? More blank stares. So I told the legend of George and his little hachet.

Intrigued I asked..."you do know who George Washington was?" Oh...they knew he was "the father of our country." They could not tell me what that meant though. So I asked..."he was a general in a war...what war was it?" After thinking for a bit..."World War II!" was the answer I got.

Now that I think about it...perhaps one of them was named Palin....;);)

Oh you are so funny. The scary part is that I believe this happened 100%. I've seen too much of Jay Leno's street questions and what people do not know. SCARY.

RICHARD
02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
A friend of mine is "The Etiqueteer (http://etiquetteer.com/)" and has a good column honoring our first president, interpreting some of his sayings for modern times. But I love the last one so much I figured I'd share it with all of you!

GW 1.0: “110th, Labour to keep alive in your breast the little celestial fire called conscience.”

no update required!

Have some cherry pie and ponder!

Oh, I know, I know.....

Sunbathe topless while thinking SPF?:confused: