PDA

View Full Version : Growling at other cats.....

tikeyas_mom
02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Well my little miss Raven has a voice!
When I brought her home I didn't for a moment think she would have such a voice!

Lately our neighbors cats have been coming onto our deck to "visit" through the sliding glass door.. Miss Raven is an indoor only kitty, so these cats have been giving her a hard time.. They taunt her from outside- grooming themselves, lazing around, and spraying my patio furniture.. YUK :eek:..
But poor Raven has started to become VERY upset about these other cats invading her space.. So she does what cats do best.... She Roars, Growls, hisses, sounds like a Tasmanian devil... now she chooses the worst times of the night to make so much noise... 3 am last night, and midnight the night before..

Has anyone had this experience with their indoor kitty?

Karen
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Poor thing! Any chance of spraying something out there, Feliway, or something, to deter these interlopers from invading HER territory?

tikeyas_mom
02-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Well right now i just go out and spray the invading kitties with water in a squirt bottle... But that doesn't bug them to much because they ALWAYS come back.. One of the cats actually tried to come into my house the other day!! He is an unaltered male cat, this I know because He lets me pet him sometimes, and he is the one cat I have witnessed spraying!

aTailOf2Kitties
02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
put some moth balls out. Cat's don't like the smell. Put them where the other kitties won't get within eyesight of Raven. You'll have to replace them when they dissolve away and deal with the smell yourself, but it does work to repel stray cats.

Freedom
02-19-2012, 09:26 PM
They are invading her territory, and she is protecting what is hers. Mine do the same on those rare cases they see one of our neighborhood strays out a window. Fortunately, those cats don't come into our yard, because of the dogs.

Feliway would not be the right thing to use.

Do you have a fenced yard? There are cat repellants you can use. s[ray them around the outside of your fence.

happylabs
02-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Wonder why they are hanging around? Is your kitty neutered?

mrspunkysmom
02-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I wondered that, tooo, so I looked for the thread where Tikeyas_Mom introduced Raven

introducing Raven (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?170188-New-Addition-first-time-kitty-owner-here-)&p=2386525#post2386525)

I have a faded Cailco out side that wants to come in, but after having Bella for two months, I decided on no more for a long while. It could just be the critters want a home, too.

Karen
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM

She said the male that is marking is unneutered, so that would be why he is roaming. And even if female are neutered and not in heat, males can tell a female when they smell one!

mrspunkysmom - she knows they are her neighbor's cats.

mrspunkysmom
02-19-2012, 10:39 PM
She said the male that is marking is unneutered, so that would be why he is roaming. And even if female are neutered and not in heat, males can tell a female when they smell one!

mrspunkysmom - she knows they are her neighbor's cats.

ah, missed that one and it's right in the first post. DUH!

kuhio98
02-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Halo growled whenever any animal came into "her" yard. Cats, dogs, moose, birds, etc. She'd run from window to window growling (didn't hiss) until they were out of her territory. We didn't think of it as a problem. We probably ended up encouraging it because we always praised her for being such a good guard cat. :D The other kitties always looked at her like she was crazy but she never stopped.

Taz_Zoee
02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I know Paizly did it when a cat was visiting our back yard on a regular basis. Oh wait....Paizly does it to the cat that lives in the house with her!! :eek::rolleyes:
This morning Jax was making weird noises while he was looking out the bedroom glass door. I looked out but did not see anything. So I have no idea what he was seeing.

Just as I was beginning to read this thread a massive fight broke out in the other room. Jax would not stop bugging Paizly. He is now in his room on a time out. (Please, keep in mind all of his toys, his own human size bed, food, water and cat box are in this room.)

My Taz did the same thing and one summer just the screen was closed. He jumped up to my eye level and I thought he could have knocked the screen out! Luckily we do not get too many visitors in our back yard, besides birds and squirrels.

I would try to catch them on the patio then run out screaming and yelling and stomping my feet at them. Not to hurt them AT ALL, just to scare them away. If they know the crazy lady is going to come out then maybe they'll stay away. :D

pomtzu
02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
It's really no different than dogs growling and barking at anything that invades their territory. These guys don't miss the chance to bark at them all - squirrels, rabbits, birds, other dogs and cats, the solicitors that ignore the "no solicitors" sign, and of course the UPS or FedEx delivery guys. It's just all part of their job which they take very seriously! :)

tikeyas_mom
02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by happylabs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes she is spayed.

She has had a litter of kittens before i adopted her, but since then she has been spayed and up to date on her shots..

She knows how to fend her territory thats for sure! she darts from my couch and crouches looowwww to the sliding door window to growl at the intruders.. I will try the moth ball idea! Thanks

Its funny because i can leave her, and my rats alone and they never have issues. Just a few weeks ago a bird flew into my house and Raven was alone with the poor bird inside, but she didn't touch the bird.. .. BUT I never thought that a rat and a cat would be friends, who knew ;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I had this problem a few times when people who live below me had a cat that was supposed to be indoor only but they later made him live outside and they would only bring him in at night. I live on the second floor and he managed to jump up onto my balcony and he was looking at my cats through the sliding glass door. I heard a lot of growling and hissing from my cats and I had to chase him away. It only happened a few times though. Now the people have moved away. My Pearl and Ziggy growl and hiss daily at both Alani & Blaze and it doesn't even faze these redheaded boys. Hopefully you'll be able to find something that will keep these cats away. Good luck.:)

pomtzu
02-21-2012, 06:12 AM
This is just my opinion, but I would steer clear of the mothballs. The are highly toxic and can be deadly if eaten. Consider all outside creatures, and of course little kids, that might come in contact with them. I think I'd rather put up with the growling than to risk the life of anyone - 2 or 4 legged.

catmandu
02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I have the Two Cats Terrance and Gregory who are hugeuneutered and litter trained Cats from across the road.
I think that they live in an Auto Repair Shop , but are not well cared for at all.
I put out the food that My Cats dont like but I cannot adopt them as they are so feral and cannot be tamed as they are toio old to change thier ways.
Oddly enough My Cats like them but the feeling is not mutual:eek::eek:

tikeyas_mom
02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
hmm seems the moth ball idea isn't going to workout, my intention is not to hurt any animals, just deter them.. any other suggestions? i will keep using the squirt bottle